+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: A Goodbye, and looking for Museum Liquidation Ideas

Default A Goodbye, and looking for Museum Liquidation Ideas

I have finally decided that my time with Rift is at an end. Since Dimensions are 90% of the reason I play Rift, and for the many, many reasons that are in these forums, building Dims are more frustration than fun to me. The glitches are piling up, with only "we will look into it" as a response. I had briefly thought to stay around primarily to run the Dim Museum, but as fate would have it, that is the character that is affected by the -1/0 glitch (another problem that seems to have no fix in sight). Now I see in the forums that many items are being drawn incorrectly, again without a Dev response. Heck, the Dev's have not even posted on the "wish list" post since Oct.
    To the many friends and acquaintances i have met here - i wish you luck and hope things get better. You are a very caring and talented bunch.
    I would like to give the items in the museum back to the community, along with a lot of very nice items i have in storage.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how best and fairly to do this?
    Dim's On Deepwood: Abandon Ship! // Kish and Zill's Summer House // Ice Age // The Fourth Seal // Kishauwau's Retreat // Riverboat Carnival // Lv-426 // Plants VS Zombies Tribute (as Zillisha) // Dim Items Museums (as Zillox)

Quote Originally Posted by Zillaan View Post
    I have finally decided that my time with Rift is at an end. Since Dimensions are 90% of the reason I play Rift, and for the many, many reasons that are in these forums, building Dims are more frustration than fun to me. The glitches are piling up, with only "we will look into it" as a response. I had briefly thought to stay around primarily to run the Dim Museum, but as fate would have it, that is the character that is affected by the -1/0 glitch (another problem that seems to have no fix in sight). Now I see in the forums that many items are being drawn incorrectly, again without a Dev response. Heck, the Dev's have not even posted on the "wish list" post since Oct.
    To the many friends and acquaintances i have met here - i wish you luck and hope things get better. You are a very caring and talented bunch.
    I would like to give the items in the museum back to the community, along with a lot of very nice items i have in storage.
    Does anyone have any ideas on how best and fairly to do this?
    a contest, very very simple like holding a line of questions, personal or otherwise and set the amount to 5/person. I did that tonight in game, in chat and gave away alot of good new items

Quote Originally Posted by BlackZodiac View Post
    a contest, very very simple like holding a line of questions, personal or otherwise and set the amount to 5/person. I did that tonight in game, in chat and gave away alot of good new items
    Also could have the winners invited in at separate times and they get 1 min of glory to take what they want, click them off the allow tab when finished.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Sincerely I wish you all the best Zillaan but just so info is clear hoping it might persuade your decision....

Its Christmas holidays there are no dimension Devs to respond and haven't been since a day or two before Christmas the same time the thread you refer to was created - the office returns to normal this week with first hotfix of the year on Wednesday when Trove grab bag appears. Also the "wish list" was created based on the Skype channel everyone was invited to join. I am the person who sends in updates to Morticus to update him and the community because there is so much chatter often in that channel about many things and I have not done so since the last one because I have been too busy, the Devs have also and Skype got quiet this month.

I wish you all the best in 2016 and every year and hope this year, the 5th year of RIFT is a good one for all of us who like to hang out in Telara and we see more fixes than further issues.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 01-02-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Prophet of Telara

Hi Zil,

that's very sad :-( I send people to your museums regularly to view items, it's a great service...

also, I would strongly advise against liquidating your dimensions... your might want to come back one day, maybe the bugs will get fixed, or maybe you just miss it in a few months' time. Please keep your dims and your stuff so you can start fresh when you come back :-)

I've returned several times now, each time I thought I'd never play again! Once I had a one-year-break... so... just keep the door unlocked for a possible return EVEN if you can't imagine it right now.

Have fun, and hope to see you again!
    Alliandre
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

Sad to see you go Z, I have enjoyed chatting with you and Kish, and visiting your dims, over all this time. For me the -1 bug comes and goes, sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. I do log onto all my building toons from time to time (for other reasons) so I don't really suffer from it but I can get why it might be frustrating.

Just to throw my 2 cents, it's been two big updates and two events which demanded a lot of attention from the devs, so I can see why they've been busy and not responding to everything here. As well as holiday time is always the silent time, and it's pretty natural. I hope you'll still be lurking on the forums to see the updates and decide if you want to come back. Lots of people left but came back after all so never say never hehe.

Good luck and have a great year.

~Laeti "Rustpants" "Stuck in a Music Box on Entry" Aelaris
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

I am sorry to hear this. You were one of the first people on the Dim channel to invite me to your dims and begin to show me the ropes. You are a valuable part of the community.

I DO understand your frustration. I have quit/rejoined Rift several times since beta testing over a variety of issues, and two "serious" quits resulted in me deleting all my 'toons, which presented a challenge when I realized I missed Rift and wanted to come back. Each time I have created new 'toons, which is a grind but ultimately acceptable to my type of game play. (If I were an achievement hound, restarting from 0 every time would be a pointless endeavor.)

This time around, I have discovered Dims and the Dimensionaddict community. I've already reached my threshold for irritation with standard Rift gameplay mechanics/shenanigans, but instead of quitting yet again, I am playing solely for dimension content - something that is not "time sensitive". I can come and go for days, weeks, even months at a time, and I will be able to pick up right where I left off.

Take some time off, a vacation if you will. Let things settle a bit and see if any of the fixes you desire happen within a few months. Things may improve and you find you are interested again, re-energized! Or you may discover that it's "business as usual" and there is no hope of recouping your joy. At that point, you can bow out without a backward glance.

Until then, is there a way you can give a trusted person permissions for your museum dims, so they can be kept open and maintained for either your eventual return or subsequent liquidation after a few months?

However, if your mind is made up, and you know you won't regret the choice, maybe the following would be an acceptable liquidation method:

Simply bulk email (10 emails of 6 items each) to a variety of dimensionaddict@deepwood peeps that you have come to know with explicit directions to either use the items personally OR offer them to those in the channel that might need them (as requests arise, as they do on a daily basis). The hope would be that your items would be distributed freely, as opposed to someone just selling everything they received.

OR

Give one or two trusted friends permissions in your dims so they can field requests (assuming you don't want to hang around long enough to do contests, etc., which is a great idea, just takes your time/involvement).

OR (since I just realized you can only email people on Deepwood)

Invite trusted/known people to your dims and give them permission to remove a certain number of items, again with the proviso that they will "pay it forward" to others in need if they are not going to use the items personally.

That said, my true hope is that you will take a vacation, distance yourself from the issues, then come back refreshed, creatively rejuvenated, and be welcomed back into this wonderful community!
    Last edited by kaymcleod; 01-02-2016 at 07:57 PM.
    LIVE: Boudicah (67), Ceridwynn (65), Gwenllyan (62), Iceniqueen (42), and Prasutagus (50) @Wolfsbane

PRIME: Boudicah (50), Prasutagus (32)
    Please visit my dimensions on Prime by searching Boudicah

I vote lockdown the dims and leave them in mothballs as is. I appreciate the sentiment of wanting to give things out, but Im one more who lived to regret giving away accounts or rares for a game I was positive I never wanted to log into again.
    In my experience any game you have given so much energy to, will eventually be nostalgic for you. At the very least-- sell things out and liquidate at a reasonable price so you have a stake of liquid plat to come back to.

Wish i spent more time with you mate , understood and salutes you in honors . If and when you come back please message me please.

Odintia
    Odintia Amymone Sagie Tantalos Odinscloth Odininchains Odinsbelt Odinstunic OdinsHelm

It has been Fun most of all a learning experience that i am sure will never end .
    Odin Tea Ah 2016.

General of Telara

I don't want to see you go, man. I was planning on having you guest build in my upcoming sci-fi dimension series. This will be quite upsetting. Guess I could name a planet, character, or starship in your name.

I sure hope you just take a bit of a sabbatical and return with renewed vigor. Losing any dimensioneer is a saddened experience.

Do what you need to do, I'll be here awaiting your return if you decide to do just that.

Concerning your Museum, I'd leave it up, maybe as the devs to place it on a sticky so newer dimmers can see all the greatness of the dim items.

I would love to keep the museum going, but the -1/0 bug makes this a bit problematic...
    Perhaps, if someone dedicated was willing to take it over I could take the time to "cut and paste" it into their own dims.
    Thank you for all the kind words..
    I wish i could see the changes that would cure the frustration on the horizon, but i dont...
    Constant repeating of the same crappy loot bags, repeating the same crappy fishing poles, repeating locking Dim items behind raid/time/platinum walls (the very fact that dim items are rewarded for "hard" mode tells me they just dont "get it"), making new Dim subject to weighted RNG...
    ALL of these things have killed both my fun and my creativity. I do not think the people currently in charge of Dimensions understand the mindset of a Dimmer (this is a personal opinion)
    and, it may simply be I am tired of the run-of-the-mill themepark MMO and am looking for something new, diff, and exciting.
    but, I will not act too quickly and make a decision i will regret.
    I will most likely clean out my storages - because THOSE items need to be out there being used...
    The museum - i need to think about - and I dont plan on tearing down my finished dims.
    If only the museum was not on a -1/0 toon....
    Dim's On Deepwood: Abandon Ship! // Kish and Zill's Summer House // Ice Age // The Fourth Seal // Kishauwau's Retreat // Riverboat Carnival // Lv-426 // Plants VS Zombies Tribute (as Zillisha) // Dim Items Museums (as Zillox)

Shield of Telara

It is always sad when people who are passionate about a game end up leaving. IMO I think you should keep the dims up. Hopefully, the glitch will get fixed and the items will be available to view at a later date.

I have got mad at rift about a half dozen times and quit, yet I am still here. Sometimes you just need to step back and take a break. Who knows, you might want to come back later on and you will be sad that the dims are gone. Just don't be too rash, give it some time before making any decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Manasha View Post
    I have got mad at rift about a half dozen times and quit, yet I am still here. Sometimes you just need to step back and take a break. Who knows, you might want to come back later on and you will be sad that the dims are gone. Just don't be too rash, give it some time before making any decisions.
    If anything, taking a break certainly makes you see the "relationship" you have with the game. Like, I can leave for a week or few, have a great time in that place called real life, but eventually I'll start thinking about how much I miss my game. Rather sooner than later, in case of Rift. With many other games it was more like "left for a few days, forgot what the game was even about, no regrets".

If you find yourself in the first situation, then it's definitely something more than just a way to spend your free time. If not, well then let's hope you find a better one. Either way, it's always better to leave some options than to regret that you've left none. The dims won't go anywhere, and you can always come back and wipe the dust off instead of (possibly) coming back to empty slots.

I definitely understand how you feel, Zillaan. Sometimes, the maddening things about dim building just seem hugely unfair and you end up wondering why youíre still visiting Telara. Dimension builders do seem to have a hard time of it especially, because of the ways we have to accumulate our resources for building, as opposed to players who can work through the playable content to get gear for pvp or raiding. Dealing with an overwhelming amount of RNG and obstacles of other kinds, not to mention horrible glitches, rather than being able to set goals and work steadily towards them, can be extremely demoralising, to say the least. But as others have said, I think you should put your dims in Ďmothballsí and have a break for a while. See how you feel after a few weeks, or even longer. Iíve also had quite long breaks from Rift, after playing it from Beta, but I always come back, and now I play mainly to construct dims, which I still enjoy, despite everything exasperating about it.

Whenever Iíve thought about quitting for good and giving everything away, I remember something that happened to a guy I knew in WoW. He had a vast collection of companion pets, some of them extremely rare and/or no longer available. He had one of those Ďargh, Iím sick of this game and the people who make it!í moments and gave all of his tradable pets away before closing his account, only to change his mind about six months later and return to the game. I know he regrets that impulsive pet give-away, but now itís too late and he canít get them back. For this reason, Iíd never give away or destroy anything Iíd built up in an MMO, be it pets or dimensions, or any other type of collection. Iíve invested so much of my time and energy into these things, not to mention money in the case of dim-building, I donít want to throw away the results of all those resources. Whether thatís being sanguine about it or merely stupid, Iím not really sure! ;)

Itís sad when a community loses valued members because of issues like this. From what Iíve read on these forums, and heard from friends, many are as frustrated as you are, also to the point of quitting. But as others have said, thereís always the chance the devs will do something about the aspects that frustrate you, so that you want to come back. If you simply step back for a while, your Ďbelongingsí wonít go anywhere, and will still be there for you should you ever decide to return. I hope you do, but I also hope itís because the dim-building situation will have improved enough to tempt you back.

Unlike pets or other items, dimensions are the builder's gift to the community, and they stay in the game for anyone who comes across them even when the owner is long gone.

So, leaving them open and untouched is the best gift to the game and people in it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast