+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What Shard has most dimensions? Haven't played in a while

Default What Shard has most dimensions? Haven't played in a while

Hi there. I've been working on a dimension project on an off for a good 2 years now. I'm determined to complete it though, I've put a lot of time and money in it, it's just my job and a lack of willpower that can halter progress too often. Sometimes it does feel like more work than joy when trying to attempt quite a large project, hopefully some will relate!

Anyway. I logged in recently, scoured the dimension list and AH and it doesn't seem to be lively in terms of dimensions/items. I'm currently on the Bloodiron shard and noticed that there seems to be free transfers? Is there a specific shard where most of the hardcore dimension builders have migrated too?

This is mainly in terms of trading items. I often do love to use some of the rarer items only available in boxes and therefore active trading is going to be very useful to me.

Also a side question while I'm here. I remember there was an addon a while back where you could jump on a carpet and allow free movement within your dimension. Unfortunately I could never obtain the specific carpet that was required for this addon. Do people still use this addon or has the free camera basically taken over this?

Much Thanks,
    Fwob.
    Last edited by Refuge; 12-29-2015 at 03:09 PM.

Prophet of Telara

hi :-) most shards are quite active dimension wise, bloodiron and typhiria seem to be less active, though. you will find enough on the others :-) you can check before, just make a level 1 toon an check the lists and ahs...

if you speak german, there's a dimension building guild on brutwacht (we have two non-german-speaking members, so you might be fine anyways ;-) ).

there are two "big" addons, dimensiontools and toolbox. dimensiontools has an integrated flying-addon, tribal magic. all you need is the round tribal table in your inventory, and of course building rights. the other addon is "magic carpet", I don't know if it still exists.

have fun building!
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch" - NEW: Schlumpfhausen-The Smurfs (Alli), owner guild Schlumpftastisch

Thanks, much appreciated.

I'm not german speaking myself so that could be a problem, though looking for a dimension guild in general sounds like a good shout. Appreciate the advise on the addons too.

I think I'll try migrate then, as you say, Bloodiron is less popular.

Thanks again.

Actually. Just as a double check. If I transfer will I lose my dimension?

I read somewhere if you guild transfer the guild dimension will be destroyed and all items will go into a crate.

Edit: Read somewhere that personal dimensions should be fine. Though a double confirmation of this would be useful. Obviously don't want to lose 2 years of work.
    Last edited by Refuge; 12-29-2015 at 11:58 AM.

General of Telara

Even guild dimensions transfer without getting destroyed, the only thing you lose with transfers are the +1 votes you accumulated. And since you can transfer every character free of charge every week, you don't really have to be afraid of getting stuck somewhere, and you can move all your bank alts together.

And yes, Bloodiron is by far the least populated shard, because open world PvP has little value even for PvP-affine players. And since you can "shard hop" with two mouse clicks now, there's even less reason to choose Bloodiron as home shard, that's probably why you don't find very much on the AH there.

So, just check out the other shards' AH etc., you can also try asking in dimensionaddicts@Zaviel (you can /join that channel on any shard) for AH prices/availability of certain items, but it is not quite as active as dimensionaddicts@deepwood in the NA region (right now, there's only a total of 9 people from Brutwacht, Gelidra and Zaviel in there).

Hello and welcome back.

Bloodiron and (NA side) Seastone are pvp shards and you shouldn't expect lots of dimmers on those. Obviously, the AH prices and variety of stuff would be worse there as well.

I don't play on EU but I do visit dims there from time to time because EU region has some very talented people and I don't want to miss out on them. But I'm pretty sure going for the most populated pve shard and/or RP shard would be the best choice.

Note that you can trade dimension items cross-shard, in your case it's dimensionaddicts@zaviel channel - just join in, say hi, and ask around.

Make sure to not make any trades in dimensions that hold valuable stuff unless it's people you trust to avoid any chance of item thieves that might also watch the channel for trades. I've been robbed like this myself and I know people who suffered the same - rare and epic dim items can sell very expensive on AH and bad guys can be out there still.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I will probably migrate soon enough, but I realised my fossil of a guild has loads of artifacts in the bank that I can take out daily. I'm going to slowly 'rob' the guild bank before I migrate anywhere.

I wasn't sure what you meant about thieves. I just assumed people would trade items via the trade ui, though I'm sure I'll figure out what you meant soon enough.

I'll definitely join that channel and thanks for all the advise.

You can't use the trade feature cross-shard. But with dim items, you can drop them off in a dim and set the permissions to public\friends\guild\special so that the people with permissions could pick them up. That's how Take a Penny dims work (free drop-off dims where you can also find stuff you might need).

Since rare and epic dim items sell very good on AH (up to 15k for some of them), some people would exploit this feature and the dimmers' kindness to steal the items and sell them. There's no 'legal' way of restoring them via game features and CS because it's your own choice to set those perms and let people pick stuff up. One way of securing the trades would be doing it in an empty dim. Even people constantly reading the channels can't tell other people's alts sometimes, and if you haven't been on for a while you might see a lot of new names. I'm not in any way encouraging mistrust, dimmers are kind and amazing people, but seeing myself and other people being robbed of dim items makes me want to warn others. I really hope you'll never see anything like this happen!

Yes. Thanks for the heads up. What about putting the item on an alt, transfering the alt to a different shard and trading that way? Or is that just simply more time consuming? I haven't migrated any characters yet so I don't know how long this process would take.

Thanks.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

We also have some great fansites to check for latest info:

Dimension Gallery
    Dimension Touring Company

Welcome back and good luck with your project!

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Yes. Thanks for the heads up. What about putting the item on an alt, transfering the alt to a different shard and trading that way? Or is that just simply more time consuming? I haven't migrated any characters yet so I don't know how long this process would take.

Thanks.
    It is rather time consuming, especially if you don't have multiple toon slots to fill with all the alts. You can't transfer an alt below lvl 15 and you have a week penalty for transfers. It's very much easier to just use trading dims.

Yep, that makes complete sense! And thanks Kiwi, will be checking those out.

Last question then before I'll let the thread rot away. The channel seems like a great idea, but in terms of functionality and use, have you guys ever thought of making a big channel in something like Skype? I'm thinking in terms of live feed that you get from in game chat combined with saved text like on fan site forums.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Refuge; 12-29-2015 at 02:45 PM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Refuge View Post
    Yep, that makes complete sense! And thanks Kiwi, will be checking those out.

Last question then before I'll let the thread rot away. The channel seems like a great idea, but in terms of functionality and use, have you guys ever thought of making a big channel in something like Skype? I'm thinking in terms of live feed that you get from in game chat combined with saved text like on fan site forums.

Thanks.
    There is an official skype channel that is run by Trion but it is holidays so is quiet (See sticky posts) There is another voice channel posted on this forum and you can click on the gif in my signature to see Rift Community Discord a voice and text channel for all of Rift. In the New Year we will look at adding more specific channels if needed currently we are focused on letting the community know about it and reaching those seeking people to hang out with over the holidays while they play Rift.

You are welcome to come and say hi.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 12-29-2015 at 02:54 PM.

Default Hi, and welcome back!

Many dimensionerds will tell you "dims are NEVER finished", lol, and there's some truth in that, however, there are some things you can try to keep your creativity fresh and strong, despite size and scope of your main project.

First, as mentioned, join the EU dimension addicts channel. Those people "speak your language" and will go out of their way to help in any way possible.

Second, tour, Tour, TOUR. I am constantly and consistently amazed and inspired by the dims on Wolfsbane - and I haven't even begun to tour the other shards! Look at them from an overall theme perspective or scrutinize them for details. It was a revelation to me when I visited my first bathroom - wedding altars for toilets?!? butter churns for faucets?!? bedrolls for toilet paper?!? You get the idea.

Third, step away from the "Great American Novel"-esque quality of your major dim project. Grab a small dim and do a complete project for 450 items. Finish it. Be done with it. Experience the satisfaction of knowing you can get the job done, haha. Like you, I was stuck in the same boat ('cept I had THREE huge-concept dims going) and was almost dreading having to DO something in them every day. Then Mals hosted the Fae Yule Contest. I entered knowing I would have to FORCE myself to turn in a completed project, but finish I did. NOW I am so completely jazzed to get back and work on my big projects - but the moment I start to feel myself pulling away, I'm going to do a small scale project to completion.

Good luck and if you ever create a toon on a US server, stop by dimensionaddicts@deepwood and we will talk your ear off....I mean give you all the encouragement you need
    LIVE: Boudicah (67), Ceridwynn (65), Gwenllyan (62), Iceniqueen (42), and Prasutagus (50) @Wolfsbane

PRIME: Boudicah (50), Prasutagus (32)
    Please visit my dimensions on Prime by searching Boudicah

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by kaymcleod View Post
    Good luck and if you ever create a toon on a US server, stop by dimensionaddicts@deepwood and we will talk your ear off....I mean give you all the encouragement you need
    Lol you are too freaking cute Ceri

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast