Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Manasha
  • 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By Laeti
  • 1 Post By Coldsprite

Thread: Dimensions.Rich mans luxury

Shadowlander

Default Dimensions.Rich mans luxury

As much as I love Dimensioning, (and I've created several large & small fully upgraded) , I doubt I will be creating any more. The cost has become far too expensive to continue. 6-9 plat for a stone barrier wall.. for example.. I rely on Rift-store for a lot of unavailable items not on Auction house. I use my crafters to create items. again, mats cost. Aside from item costs, Upgrading item count is even farther out of reach for me. if I sell farmed mats / items on AH, always undercut by bot type mass farmers, so hardly sell anything. Yes I can make money questing etc.. but Trion will wipe out all plat made in a day for 1 item on their store. the dumbest, most useless ugly items cost much more than they're ever worth. And my most wanted items, building blocks, are now too expensive to purchase.

I will cease dimensioning. whomever decides what to charge for dim items on Rift store truly haven't had to earn their money to buy it. I love Dimensions and creating. but unless I start buying & selling REX, ill never afford to buy even the most mundane items.

Still buying lotto tickets, never any Trion Boxes, ugh..
    Rootbeer / Sootfoot Wolfbane

Shield of Telara

I do feel for trion in trying to balance this economy. People complain that there is too much plat in the game, that there are not enough plat sinks. People blame trion for the sky rocket in prices of rex because there is so much money floating around. Then they they get yelled at when the plat prices of items are considered too high. They get yelled at for items that come with high credit purchases. But someone has to pay for this game, not everything can be free.

I have known a lot of people that have very little money in this game and still can make decent dimensions. Every shard has "take a penny, leave a penny" dims. You get free dim items from minions. You can search the AHs and there are so many items up for 1 silver just to let people get them vs being tossed. There is a lot of free and cheap stuff in game. Is it the best stuff in game? No, it is not but it is enough to make decent looking dimensions.

I know I have done my fair share of complaining but overall I do not feel it is that bad. I am sorry if you feel like you have to grind or work hard on a dim item. But it is what it is. Raiders have to grind for their gear, I do not feel slighted in any way that I have to grind to get some unique items. To be honest, after I have worked hard to get something I like that item even more.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I agree Dimensions have become expensive both time and platinum wise but so many magical builds can still be made on a budget plus 8/10 items on the store are available via minions, Stans lure and the new grab bags boxes Affinity items etc

A tooltip on the store to mention this for new players would be very helpful.

Investing in minions is the first suggestion I would make to anyone who loves to craft and build. Investing in artifacts is the second as you build your platinum and in game currencies to source more items/recipes.

You also have Dimensions full of free items to share what you might not want called "Take a penny leave a penny", there are many more that followed in the wake of these generous ideas just type "take" or "free" into your Wolfsbane's Dimension UI All Time Search.

Lastly feel welcome to join dimensionaddicts@deepwood in game chat where we often share items, offer trades or sell.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 12-16-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Before I opened this thread, I was absolutely sure there will be a post about people selling dim items for insane prices. I was suprised to see something different.

I'd second everything those pretty ladies posted above, and add that besides minions, Taplaps and other available sources you also have dimension channels where people share stuff with their addicted friends. Either it's a trade, or just giving stuff away, or inviting to our personal walmarts, it is never expensive. And you'd be surprised at how people are sometimes willing to trade something really pretty and "store expensive" for something you'd call ugly and useless. We're all hoarders, but we don't just hoard the stuff we like to keep, so there's always a chance someone has that one thingie you need.

I actually forgot when was the last time I even needed to buy something off the store after going thru AH, storages, taplaps and asking in the channel. Not counting the loyalty\trophy\lucky coin stuff - I don't really spend any plat in there.

Back when there were no minions, stan's items, brag bags and taplaps, building dimensions seemed very expensive to me, but it's been a long time since I felt this way. I still grrr at people trying to sell dim stuff for ridiculous prices (I mean come on, a Sanctuary of rebirth worth more than an exclusive arclight rider? You've got to be kidding me), but that's a whole different problem, and IMO just not buying anything from them would eventually stop them from trying.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Shield of Telara

Kiwi makes a good point about joining the dim channel, you can find helpful people in there. There are a lot of people in that channel I see giving things away. I see people ask if anyone has a specific item laying around they can buy but people just give them away for free. Most of us have several large storage dims full of stuff we don't use.

I love seeing what people make when they are using just the basics, they are some of the best dims. The best morphs I have seen people make come from the cheapest items.

Quote Originally Posted by Rastifann View Post
    I love Dimensions and creating. but unless I start buying & selling REX, ill never afford to buy even the most mundane items.
    I'd like to share my experience with you, in hope that you don't give up on an activity you love. When I started building dimensions as a low level player, I had no plat to buy dimension items and wasn't even aware that the AH had hundreds of items up for a couple silvers each. At the time, I didn't know about "Take a penny, leave a penny dimensions" or the dimensionaddicts channel (I only learned of these from Mirt when I joined the Mars Attack competition). The first building I built had walls with at least 5 different colored tiles because of my lack of materials.

The few items I had to build with came from my minion adventures and from kind members of my guild who saw my passion for building and encouraged it by providing me with items they did not want. And it was not just guild members who shared their items with me - every once and a while, someone on 1-29 chat would say they had unwanted dimension items and that they would give them away for free. I contacted one such person, and for weeks he sent me any items he did not want.

As for being unable to afford simple items, I had my own experience with my favorite building block - red wood poles. Any of my close friends can tell you I have an obsession with log homes, and desperately needed these poles and a lot of them too. Due to my lack of currency (and no knowledge on how to farm currency quickly), I wasn't even able to buy the poles that were more than 5g each (I had bought the ones for a few silvers). I reached out to the community (again 1-29, its not all trolls there you know ), offering to buy any poles they had for 2g each. A player, Amato, actually bought out the entire AH of red poles and sent them to me for free.

I hope I can encourage you to reach out to your community when you need help with some things, especially finding and acquiring dimension items. There are many of us who are more than happy to help (I try every day to show other dimensioners the same kindness players like Amato showed me). I know that when someone asks for an item that I don't have in my own bank, I always try to check my local AH for them - especially since we can share items across shards (how cool is that!).

*As a side not though - upgrading dimensions is very expensive and is difficult to do. I'm not sure what the best ways for low level players are to grind currency, but if you are lvl 65 I can definitely explain non-AH dependent plat sources. Regardless of your level, please feel free to msg me here, or pm me at Coldsprite@Greybriar and I'll try my best to help you out.

To be fair, upgrades to t5 are a pain even for a well geared 65 who has a constant source of plat and has no problem farming it.

Just as a sidenote tho, I'd highly recommend buying credits and using them for purchases. A REX will get you more from the store than the same amount of plat, plus it will give you loyalty (to unlock free dims and items).
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

+ Reply to Thread