+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree162Likes

Thread: Yule Dimension Contest

Smile Yule Dimension Contest

YULE is Done.

Yule, some love it, some hate it (I’m looking at you Bellarosa).
    This competition is simply to create a Yule themed dimension.

Rules:
    Any dimension is ok, except for guild dimensions.
    This is a personal dimension contest, no collaborative builds or use of guild dimensions.
    Contest is open to all shards on North America & Europe.
    Contest closes December 22, 2015 at 12 midnight GMT. Entries after that date will not be judged. Judging will be completed by January 1, 2016, hopefully before then.
    Dimensions need to be open on or before December 22, 2015 at 12 midnight GMT. If the dimension is not open, you are immediately disqualified from the contest.
    Please no copying other builds or morphs, original work and personal expression are the key.
    The minimum number of pieces is 250 and there is no maximum for this competition. No putting a lone Christmas tree up and going “all done, prize please”!

Judging Requirements:
    1. Yule theme (pro/con/silly/dramatic/insert your interpretation here)
    2. At least one morph or art piece (please identify it in your entry)

Judging Criteria:
    1. Continuity (all the components of the build should tell a consistent story)
    2. Fit and Finish (no gaps or crooked walls, no wiggles or other aberrations)
    3. Lighting and Decoration
    4. Morph/Art
    5. Overall Impression

There will be ten points in each category for a total maximum of fifty points. In the event of any tied scores for first through third place, both contestants will win the same prize. We will not be posting scores or discussing who is judging etc. beyond what is above. I will be happy to discuss your dimension with you personally one on one in your dimension after judging closes if you want constructive feedback.

Grouping:
    There are three groups of entries:
    1. Pre-existing builds (Pre-Existing).
    2. You won first or second place in a dimension contest before (Contest Winner).
    3. Everyone Else.

We classify pre-existing build as any dimension with any existing items you are reusing for your entry. If you clear a dimension of all items, it is no longer considered pre-existing. We are allowing pre-existing entries to allow them to be showcased through the competition to encourage touring. We are using the honour system for self-identification of which category applies to you. Please put that in your entry.

Prizes:
    The assumption is there will be some sort of Yule Dimension item box. If there is no Yule dimension boxes available, then Two Mystery Dimension Boxes will be given instead.

Prizes for Pre-Existing will be as follows:
    1. One Rex
    2. One Yule Dimension Box
    3. One Yule Dimension Box

Prized for Contest Winner will be as follows:
    1. Two Rex
    2. One Rex

Prized for Everyone Else will be as follows:
    1. Two Rex
    2. One Rex

Everyone who has an entry that gets a score of at least twenty five points who did not win a Rex as a contest winner will be entered into three drawings of one Rex to be held after the close of the contest. Once you win a Rex you are out of any remaining drawings. We will number contestants (based on player name) who meet that requirement and post this on the forums. We will do rolls publically on Laethys in Tempest Bay once the main contest winners are announced.

You are allowed to enter more than one dimension. You can enter cross account dims, just make sure the entry specify who owns the dim so we can find it, and clearly identify who you are.

How to Enter:
    Submit your entry in this post below before the cut off time in this format:
    Character Name:
    Dimension Name:
    Shard:
    Group (Pre-Existing/Contest Winner/Everyone Else):
    Morph/Art Location and Description:
    Dimension Synopsys (maximum 2000 words):

Incomplete entries will be disqualified.
    If you have any questions, concerns or comments please send me a PM on the forum and I will get back to you as quickly as I can.
    If you are having trouble with fit and finish this is a great video on that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvt2AMj3XuQ

Entrants:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1REyHp_bDnpMCxyoJRs8xMYe0ih4eOShERxvSQ5UM7N8/edit?usp=sharing

__________________________________________________ ______________

You all made judging very challenging. We had a strong field of entrants. It was my pleasure and honour to tour your fine work. The point scores were incredibly close, in the case of less than 0.05 difference we declared a tie.

Here are the winners:

Pre-Existing:
    1) Lizzee, Greybriar, White Christmas Eve
    2) Whatchacallit, Greybriar, A Cold Winter's Night
    3) Bluue, Faeblight, Going Home

Contest Winners:
    1) Poly, Gelidra, The Christmas Cabin
    2) Korvac, Laethys, The Gnome who stole Fae Yule
    2) Aeriya, Brutwacht, Silent Night
    3) Ashlynae, Greybriar, The Plushie Bar

Everyone Else:
    1) Zeamage, Brutwacht, Sanats workshop
    2) Prasutaggus, Wolfbane, The Little Match Girl
    3) Shortyface, Gelidra, Nightmare Before Christmas

There were a few dimensions the judges loved but did not place. They will get a Fae Yule Dimension Grab Bag.

Judges' Choice Awards:
    Sparklynn, Wolfsbane, Sparklynn Yule Train
    Marnth, Laethys, A Christmas Past
    Totsandstuff, Laethys, Rift's Holiday on Ice

I will not be releasing any further information on actual scores, judging or judges to protect the judges from trolls. If you want some feedback on your dimension, I would be happy to meet you in your dimension and review it with you personally one on one.

One side note, some judges did have sound on. It was not specified in the contest and was not considered in judging. I would suggest it be added it in any future contests because some dimensions and objects provide sounds that were in-congruent with the dimension themes. You might want to consider your sound-scape in future builds to help build ambience.

REX draw for all non-winner was completed and witnessed, I kept rolling contest winner, to my torment. Winners of a REX are entrants 10, 19 , 20:
    Jaedor, Jaedor, Greybriar
    Taelliah, Taliara, Faeblight
    Refinn, Morrganna, Faeblight

Congratulation to the winners, and all the entrants you produced some amazing work you should all be proud of.

All Prizes should be delivered. Please contact me if you have not received your prize.
    Last edited by Mals; 12-27-2015 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Annouced winners
    Dangerous when amused... and you are funny.

Default Ho ho ho!!!

woo ho! I mean woo hoo!

I won't be entering this one, but I will be cheering on the sidelines!!

Bella
    Bellarosa ~ Dimensions Lovingly Created on Laethys - look for Bellarosa

Shadowlander

Ho ho ho, yet another interesting contest, thank you!

Excuse me please, but as an European I want to ask: is it a more related theme to christmas or to winter solstice? Or both? Is a dimension without any christmas symbol also appendent to this topic?

And which category am I if I won a contest before and submit a pre-existing dimension?

Happy building to everyone, let the mistletoe swing!

RIFT Fan Site Operator

You two are awesome
    Have fun everyone and if I don't say it anywhere else for you to see it.
    Have a wonderful holiday season and New Year wherever you are!

Shadowlander

Yeah, a new interesting contest, thank you!

Excuse me please, but as an European I want to ask: is it a more related theme to christmas or to winter solstice? Or both? Is a dimension without any christmas symbol also appendent to this topic? "Yule" for me means midwinter, celebrating old rituals in northern european regions, older than christian history.

And which category am I if I won a contest before and submit a pre-existing dimension?

General of Telara

Yeah, I'm in. Already have a backstory and idea in the works. I will post my entry as official once I make sure the calender is cleared.

Looking forward to touring the entries for this. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mals View Post
    pro/con/silly/dramatic
    So we can make a dim about hating christmas? awesome

Default Ba Humbug !

A very sweet enquiry in game has led me to make a little post.

Do I not like Christmas, is that why I am not entering?

The comment by the organising committee above (aka Malori in game, aka my hubby!) is a bit of an in-house joke, as I have never really got into the whole snowy, white, cold, hot turkey and all the fixings kind of Christmas, as mine are always (99%) very very hot days (sometimes over 100 degrees f) with a salad and seafood! Our Aussie Christmas' look very different to the one's you often see in movies and on postcards! Also, since hubby has decided to run this, it won't be fair for me to enter.

Have fun all and ho ho ho!!!!
    Bellarosa ~ Dimensions Lovingly Created on Laethys - look for Bellarosa

Quote Originally Posted by Valiope View Post
    Ho ho ho, yet another interesting contest, thank you!

Excuse me please, but as an European I want to ask: is it a more related theme to christmas or to winter solstice? Or both? Is a dimension without any christmas symbol also appendent to this topic?

Any of the holidays you listed are perfectly fine.

I used the word Yule rather than a specific holiday with the intent to be inclusive of the variety of holidays that occur at that time of the year. This is not about my definition, rather yours. So please feel free to express the holiday or event that defines the Yule time of the year for you. All I ask is you provide context in the synopsis so we can judge.

For example if you are doing the Flying Spaghetti Monster's present swap and gorging contest you need to specify that so we understand why Pastafarians are decorating meatballs and wearing strainers.

Pre-existing overrides contest winner. So if you are using a pre-existing dimension you fall into that category.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyler View Post
    Looking forward to touring the entries for this. Good luck!

So we can make a dim about hating christmas? awesome
    I look forward to seeing how you express yourself, just make sure you make clear in the synopsis what you are trying to express.

Quick Question. I have a pre existing dimension but I have also been a previous contest winner, but not with said dimension. Which category would this fit into? Thanks

I just read above and got the answer I was looking for, ignore me!
    Last edited by Ralitza; 11-20-2015 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Potato IRL
    Dimensions on Gelidra EU: Horror House -The Crypt - Blossom Hill - What the Hell...? - Echo Falls - This is Battery Acid, You Slime! - A Beautifully Decorated What..?! - Bad Santa - Bates Motel - Christine - Butcher Bob's II - The Remake
    NEW!
    Mountain View

Telaran

SPIKE --- ATTACKKK
    SORT RALI OUT!
    BEEP BEEP

Quote Originally Posted by pennyred View Post
    SPIKE --- ATTACKKK
    SORT RALI OUT!
    BEEP BEEP
    Rofl! BEEP BEEP right back at ya! :P
    Dimensions on Gelidra EU: Horror House -The Crypt - Blossom Hill - What the Hell...? - Echo Falls - This is Battery Acid, You Slime! - A Beautifully Decorated What..?! - Bad Santa - Bates Motel - Christine - Butcher Bob's II - The Remake
    NEW!
    Mountain View

Is it just me or are these contest rules getting more and more complicated?
    Was pretty excited when I saw he headline, but as I don't understand the rules I'm feeling a bit discouraged

Quote Originally Posted by polynomia View Post
    Is it just me or are these contest rules getting more and more complicated?
    Was pretty excited when I saw he headline, but as I don't understand the rules I'm feeling a bit discouraged
    At its simplest:
    Make a Yule Dimension, put in a morph or some art, open on/before the 22nd of December, post your entry here, have fun!

I detailed the judging to provide people some direction on what to expect for judging. If you watch the attached video at the end of the post, Nouvae explains the sort of criteria most contests will use to assess a dimension. I highly recommend giving it a watch as she is an grand master level builder and judge.

If you have specific questions feel free to post them here, pm me, or ping me in game. I am happy to answer any and all questions on the rules. Honestly most of them are to ensure the judging is fair, consistent, and clear.

I'm usually on Malori@Laethys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast