+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Laeti
  • 1 Post By Laeti
  • 1 Post By Laeti

Thread: How to darken part of a dim?

Soulwalker

Default How to darken part of a dim?

I've got an area of forest that I'd like to make gloomy but leave the rest of my dim in bright sunlight. Is this possible and if so with what?

Prophet of Telara

The only possibility I know is to work with shadows... E. g. through putting trees close together so no sunlight comes through or with those leaf-roofs (this is a literal translation, I don't know the English word... I mean those big flat leaf-thingies ;-) ), or with stategically placed buildings/structures.
    Dimensions on Brutwacht by Alliandre, Luisa, Alliendre, Kattima, Samrahia, Jaodya, Maegwynn, Guild "Stadtwache", Guild "Mules", Guild "Schlumpftastisch", several Collabs with different people - NEW: "The Headless Horseman" by Maegwynn, "Monkey Island 2", Collab on Chuliana, "Stuck at Rabbit's House (Alli)" on Jaodya

Or maybe you could create a giant hidden cave, with leafy enough tree maybe it could not show up too much and the further you go in the dim the more it gets dark? I dont know

If you use enough Leaf Canopy and Dark Leaf Canopy, it might work. I don't know, I never use those up in the trees, I always use them as ground cover!
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Shadowlander

There are things you can get that goes with the time of day of the light/darkness of it. So if you wanted it dark, go with like 10 pm and the other side of the dim, 2 pm. They're very cheap on AH and drop a lot in the short boxes from minions.

Time of day thingies are the buggiest of all dim items. Especially when used in one dim trying to make 2 tod at a time.

Gloomy spot might be a pain, but it's possible.

Grey mountains, Ashoran mountains, enormous grey rocks and mossy outcroppings could work as a mountain row on one side of the forest (preferrably where the sun comes up so you'd block the sunrise and all the morning lights). You could also place the rocks in a form of a huge cave as Ami suggested, covering the 'roof' with trees so that it won't look like a cave from the outside.

Then there's terrain paints that could make the terrain darker depending on which one you have in the dim. Ravaged earth, death and life terrain paints are rather dark and could work for you.

If you have enough item count to make this forest item-expensive, then you only need to 'build' a spot with circular (or whatever shape you need it to be) tree\plant levels which would cover the sides (and the 'roof' in the end). I suck at explaining things, but well the point is, that you make a 'circle' using say evergreen shrubs, and this is your forest's border. Then you place some leafy trees like bushy pines inside this circle, together with some stumps (this gives you the 2nd level of covering the side). Then, for example, gloamwood cedars - they're higher than pines and could cover the next, higher, level. Then stick some high canopy trees inside this area and you'll have your leaf 'roof'. Add some leaf canopy to add thickness to the 'roof'. Add some life terrain paint to make the ground darker if it's still bright. Add some green motes, foggy pumpkins sunken into the ground, web-covered logs if you find them, mossy gloamwood logs and root runners, some mossy rocks - and there you have a perfect dark forest.
    Get your free shinies apply the code -> W2X6-HTHQ-NHC2-EWFX-3PDJ<-
    Monetization Discussion Thread <3
    Ambassador Program Revamp Discussion <3
    So tell me what you want, what you really really want - Rift Edition
    I have a special place reserved for me in hell. It's called a Throne.

Quote Originally Posted by Laeti View Post
    If you have enough item count to make this forest item-expensive, then you only need to 'build' a spot with circular (or whatever shape you need it to be) tree\plant levels which would cover the sides (and the 'roof' in the end). I suck at explaining things, but well the point is, that you make a 'circle' using say evergreen shrubs, and this is your forest's border. Then you place some leafy trees like bushy pines inside this circle, together with some stumps (this gives you the 2nd level of covering the side). Then, for example, gloamwood cedars - they're higher than pines and could cover the next, higher, level. Then stick some high canopy trees inside this area and you'll have your leaf 'roof'. Add some leaf canopy to add thickness to the 'roof'. Add some life terrain paint to make the ground darker if it's still bright. Add some green motes, foggy pumpkins sunken into the ground, web-covered logs if you find them, mossy gloamwood logs and root runners, some mossy rocks - and there you have a perfect dark forest.

This is how I would do it. Also if you get a Harvest moon sky projector it helps making shadows or dark places easier while making some area's almost look like daylight because the moon is full. It just depends on the dimension and how you lay things out.
    Last edited by Rynraff; 09-23-2015 at 08:05 AM.
    Rynraff of Deepwood My Dimensions: Friends, Earth, Thinking, Random Thoughts, Rest, Snow, Shower Sweet Shower. Zyada at Deepwood: Swans, Safe, The Ugly Chair. Rynfall at Deepwood: Honeymoon

It just happened so that at this moment I'm also working on a dim that should remain sunny and shiny except for the places I'd like to make more, well, mysterious (I wouldn't say dark or gloomy, but still). And it turns out that the main goal when making such a separate spot in a sunny area is to enclose a certain spot somehow, so that no sunshine would pass through the leafy walls. And the only way to make that happen is to make those walls "grow" from the very ground till the highest tree top:) So, that's why you need trees with different heights and leaf stuctures, as well as bushes to cover all the open "windows" - those low bushy ones will block the sunshine in places where high trees only cover the "roof" part.
    Last edited by Laeti; 09-23-2015 at 08:17 AM.

Maybe this is something we should put on our wish list for the developers?
    Is it even possible to make something the opposite of a light?
    An item that could lower the light level in a given Radius would be very useful.
    Dim's On Deepwood: Abandon Ship! // Kish and Zill's Summer House // Ice Age // The Fourth Seal // Kishauwau's Retreat // Riverboat Carnival // Lv-426 // Plants VS Zombies Tribute (as Zillisha) // Dim Items Museums (as Zillox)

a light-blocking pyramid?:D

Reminds me of Dumbledore's deluminator:D

Soulwalker

Thanks for the many suggestions, going to try some (or all!) of them.

I'm my Indiana Jones dim you can see how I pulled this off with four times of day , do to the time of day no longer covering the whole dim and on a radius of it you can do up to four different time of days in a dimension , the key is finding the edge if each boundary for them . My Utah scene it set at 12 am , the castle scene is set for 2 am the crypt is set for 10 pm the temple is set at 3 am , when you load into each area you will see . I hope this helps , if you are having issues with blocking out light the best way is the base of the Kalari temples pitch black , most building blocks don't hide the sunrise sunset refection yet the temple can.

Odintia
    Last edited by NightShift1; 09-26-2015 at 02:31 AM.
    Odintia Amymone Sagie Tantalos Odinscloth Odininchains Odinsbelt Odinstunic OdinsHelm Cernunns Gaulish

It has been Fun most of all a learning experience that i am sure will never end .
    Odin Tea Ah 2016.

You could add a dark sky projector. It will create shadows everywhere so your challenge will then be to lighten up what you want seen. This works well in interior builds as well as exterior ones.
    Thorin's Halls, Lost Cavern, The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Avalon, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer Greybriar Dimension Geek

+ Reply to Thread