+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree149Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Uncle Stan, You are Evil

Default Uncle Stan, You are Evil

I'm curious why the Devs decided to make this so ridiculously boring and tedious to get. Fishing for hours and hours (and hours and hours) on end to get a pole and lure is not fun at all.

It would have been MUCH more interesting to have a challenging quest line where your final reward is the pole and lure. Hence, it was made this other way. Now, we sit and waste our game time for hours and hours (and more hours) just fishing because we want the special dim items that the lure gives. Personally, I still haven't even gotten Stan's special fishing pole yet and then I still have to get the lure. SIGH

More creativity and fun for future things-please. This is in no way, shape, or form, something that resembles fun.

This is as bad as gating items behind raids and chronicles, only this time you are gating items behind tedium and dullness.

Dimensions:
    A Wedding to Remember - Vaeryia - Greybriar / Ranger's Retreat-Mirtt - Greybriar

Rift Chaser

im SOOOO happy that the lure is this way.

i was SOOO jealous of people posting all that nice stuff they got from fishing with the lure. i even started levelling up my fishing. but then i saw what a HUUUUGE hassle it is to obtain+use the lure, i thankfully tossed away my fishing pole again.

thanks trion, for NOT forcing us ALL to become mindless fishbots.

to the actual people who enjoy fishing : the lure is just a fun one time item! enjoy and savor it!

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Mirt View Post
    I'm curious why the Devs decided to make this so ridiculously boring and tedious to get.
    Probably because people kept complaining Dimension stuff was in hard content...just saying.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 06-10-2015 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Probably because people kept complaining Dimension stuff was in hard content...just saying.
    That's a very odd response, but I would expect nothing less from you.

Dimensions:
    A Wedding to Remember - Vaeryia - Greybriar / Ranger's Retreat-Mirtt - Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by palemoons View Post
    im SOOOO happy that the lure is this way.

i was SOOO jealous of people posting all that nice stuff they got from fishing with the lure. i even started levelling up my fishing. but then i saw what a HUUUUGE hassle it is to obtain+use the lure, i thankfully tossed away my fishing pole again.

thanks trion, for NOT forcing us ALL to become mindless fishbots.

to the actual people who enjoy fishing : the lure is just a fun one time item! enjoy and savor it!
    I have no idea what you are even trying to say. Are you being sarcastic or do you actually love that it's this way? chuckle

Dimensions:

Any company worth their salt, takes suggestions/complaints/ideas and uses them as ways to improve. They don't run from them or retaliate at players, as you suggest Kiwi.

I have to believe that Trion does the former, not what you suggested.

Dimensions:

RIFT Fan Site Operator

That's a very odd response, but I would expect nothing less from you.
    It's not really if you actually think about it but complaining about NPC's in ROF (Etc) and constantly not being satisfied with how items are distributed is how these kinds of things get created and that's not always a bad thing just got to understand when it does happen this is part of what you asked for - it's easy, don't have to group and when you get the pole and lure there is 3 opportunities per day.

Fishing is a supplement, something to do between things. You don't have to do it all day everyday no one is being forced to. Do it in a way that makes it fun and sooner or later it will happen. Have faith!

Any company worth their salt, takes suggestions/complaints/ideas and uses them as ways to improve. They don't run from them or retaliate at players, as you suggest Kiwi.

I have to believe that Trion does the former, not what you suggested.

EDIT: I also think the former. They listened to complaints and feedback. Added Cats, Vendor items, Old Currency (Rep is coming new Dims with nothing in them) Summerfest arrived today and also this plus whatever else is in the works. I am making no other suggestion than fishing is part of pleasing all of us. How we enjoy it is up to us as individuals no one else.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 06-10-2015 at 11:33 AM.

I am far too lazy to fish outside of doing my dailies, besides I can make far more plat per hour by mining and crafting/breaking etc. I will likely never acquire the lure, but no doubt there will be some who do who will seek to cash in on their dimension finds. If they are shiney enough then the ore I gathered wasn't in vain when I buy them. Best bet is to just forget Stan the Evil Beast of Fishing and fish as normal. That way sanity remains (only to be drained in another area no doubt)

To be honest I had just come back to Rift a month and a half ago after a six month break. Before I left all my crafting/fishing was maxed, nothing left to buy with marks and was just kind of bored. When I came back I was excited to skill up crafting, was excited about new recipes to buy, new fishing goal of getting a tacklebox/lure recipe and the weekly quest gave me something to do with the marks (I have 8 professions on my main).

My husband got the tacklebox like 5 minutes after he hit 450 fishing and I was even more revved up for the challenge. So, here I am a month and a half later and that ol'grindfest feeling is creeping in. I have caught thousands of fish with no tacklebox (so zero chance at lure) and they took away buying the draum strands with marks. I am finding it harder to log into the game again- but then again, it might feel that way even if I got the lure.

In the end, yea, I would rather do a questline (even if time consuming and difficult) than fall asleep catching the same fish over and over and over. Could we at least make it possible to fish up the tacklebox on the mainland and SL so I can look at different scenery?
    Daphenia ~ 60 Warrior ~ Ebon Askavi ~ Hailol

Man looking for an argument: "Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes."
    Arguer: "No it isn't." ~Monty Python's The Argument Clinic

Ya my fiancee got his rod and lure within a couple of days. Here I am starting week 3 . Bugged out the darn leader board because I was fishing when it swapped over at 4 am. I cant even leader board correctly now hehe. Mind lost, hands smell like bengay

Thank gosh for summerfest Shake the worms out of my head. Time to do something totally fun GET NEW CLOTHES. Ill come back to evil Stan in a few weeks. After I look totally cute in my new summerfest finery.

FYI Stan had me swearing in chat more then once I dont swear in type very often. Everyone is so grumpy in dim chat lately from this.

Yes I want my lure so bad but sigh
    Last edited by Kitasia; 06-10-2015 at 01:31 PM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Heh sounds like our partners have more luck than us even when they catch not so desirable items 3 times a day sometimes.

The way I look at this Kit is Uncle Stan bought you back to Rift from Trove and resparked your passion for Telara which many are thankful for and sometimes I have to tuck dim chat away as I fish because it makes perfect sense those that haven't got the pole and lure yet aren't happy and express it but there are just as many that do have it they just aren't saying so or not posting items etc so we don't feel even worse as we keep trying.

Really appreciate those that are posting and sharing items. Thank you, it's a great motivator.

I am excited for Summerfest also and 3.3.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 06-10-2015 at 02:26 PM.

4-8 hrs at least 5 days a week for a month and still no lure for me. I got the pole but, no lure. Okay RNG but this is insane and aggravating.

Now those of us that still want the lure have to choose to keep trying or, put it on hold and do Summerfest. I could see a week of 4 hrs or more per day but a MONTH? What gives with the RNG to cause that headache?
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

I really think it's better to just do the derby daily, and call it good for trying. That keeps it within the realm of "well, sort of fun", as opposed to becoming something abhorrent.

I have three other toons I'm fishing on - one more on NA, two on EU. The one on NA has the pole, and all I'm doing is the derby on her.

One on EU is at 450 fishing, doing the derby and looking for the tacklebox. The other one is at 392 fishing, and is just heading for 420 to get the quest for the "not so great but better than the Brevanic" pole; I'm just doing the derby on her too.

I really can't face fishing for hours and hours in this game. I can do it for a daily, on 3 toons. But that's it.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

14.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #14

People should only engage in an activity to the point that it's worth it for them. This is supposed to be a fun extra if you are very very lucky, and not a "this item is granted to everyone". Some items in game are scarcer than others, some are gated behind completing tasks and some are gated behind luck. If everything were obtainable any one way, RIFT would be a poorer game for it.

I understand that, but, shouldn't there be a means for those that really want something to get it, like there is with most things in the game? It sounds like one could fish non stop for a year and never get the lure.

It stops being fun when you want something and do all you can to get it but are forced to give up out of frustration. It's as if you had a stove that, no matter how closely you watched it, and how low you set the burners, burned absolutely everything you tried to cook and, you were a master chef with a culinary degree and all but, that was the only stove you were allowed to use and, it ruined your best efforts, so you had to quit being a chef because of it.

Personally I refuse to give up, but I have more free time than most and, I'm to stubborn to ever give up when I want something be that in life or in a game. I will get what I want, one way or another. Haven't failed yet.
    Life is what you make it so make it good, even when it isn't.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast