+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Interactive Dimension Books suggestions.

Telaran

Default Interactive Dimension Books suggestions.

I just know I'm going to give a developer an aneurysm by just mentioning this, but is there any possibility of getting dimensional books that can have their text customized? Basically, the player would purchase a blank book and then fill in the text themselves? This would be a huge step forward in enabling dimensioneers to tell more complex stories within their dimensions. Journals and science logs could tell stories to expand upon and explain what the visitor is seeing - think of the way they were used in the original Resident Evil (or Bio-Hazard, if you're outside of the US) to clue in the player as to what was going on.

Also, on a related and possibly simpler note, what about making dimensional books that are the books that players collect through-out the game? Basically earning one of those books, for example, by turning in the artifact collection that rewards it, then allows you to purchase that book as an item you can put in your dimension. Other players could then interact with that book and read the in-game text that way.
    Last edited by MaAS; 04-09-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaAS View Post
    I just know I'm going to give a developer an aneurysm by just mentioning this, but is there any possibility of getting dimensional books that can have their text customized? Basically, the player would purchase a blank book and then fill in the text themselves? This would be a huge step forward in enabling dimensioneers to tell more complex stories within their dimensions. Journals and science logs could tell stories to expand upon and explain what the visitor is seeing - think of the way they were used in the original Resident Evil (or Bio-Hazard, if you're outside of the US) to clue in the player as to what was going on.

Also, on a related and possibly simpler note, what about making dimensional books that are the books that players collect through-out the game? Basically earning one of those books, for example, by turning in the artifact collection that rewards it, then allows you to purchase that book as an item you can put in your dimension. Other players could then interact with that book and read the in-game text that way.
    a) Given the unfortunate state of some players' non-existent maturity level, the former will never happen given the game's T-for-Teen rating. Also, unless they manage somehow to add a length/character cap on it, I shudder to think of how long some of them could get.

b) The latter is (sort of) happening in 3.2 - there are five or six books that are collectible out in the world that will now be interactive dim items. Kiwipts has them in a dim on the PTS if you want to check them out.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Telaran

I knew about the six books, and that was what got me thinking about the other book possibilities.

Fear of immaturity shouldn't influence whether or not Trion allows customizable books. People can alreadydo (and have done) some fairly explicit visual stuff. I doubt text would be any worse.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

These new books are amazing especially the idea of building a dimension based around that particular Rift Lore and there is so much good lore I am curious how it's being selected hoping this is just a beginning.

I also like the idea of customizing in any form in any game but would love if this good idea of Maas could be something for Dimension UI first before books if it is at all a possibility?

Back to current books though as mentioned in this thread the books cannot be scaled so if we could please have smaller ones for dwarfish tastes and also open books in future choices that would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 04-09-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Would KILL for a book I could "write" my own stuff in....

And.... I really hate to be a party-pooper, but I truly don't want books that "chatter" all the time, as apparently the current interactive crop on PTS do. Stuff like that annoys hell out of me.... so maybe we could have an "on/off" switch or something, Mort?

[I'm the one that can't even stand to have animations active in my browser.... and goddess forbid I hit a site that has sound I can't turn off.... And no, I don't do youtube much either....]
    Last edited by Narcise; 04-09-2015 at 01:17 PM.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Would KILL for a book I could "write" my own stuff in....

And.... I really hate to be a party-pooper, but I truly don't want books that "chatter" all the time, as apparently the current interactive crop on PTS do. Stuff like that annoys hell out of me.... so maybe we could have an "on/off" switch or something, Mort?

[I'm the one that can't even stand to have animations active in my browser.... and goddess forbid I hit a site that has sound I can't turn off.... And no, I don't do youtube much either....]
    The books are read only I just took the books out of Chalmers Caldera and popped them into Kiwipts Endless Eclipse away from the chatter of the NPC's. If you picked up they were talking books from somewhere else disregard

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    • 3.2 NPCs - Chalmers Caldera - @Kiwipts
    • 3.2 Books - Endless Eclipse (on the stands) - @Kiwipts
    • River of Souls Sky Projector - Icewatch Post - @Kiwipts
    • Steppes of Infinity Sky Projector - Icewatch Post- Kiwialpha
    • FLURRIFIER - Temple of the Abandoned - @Kiwipts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    The books are read only I just took the books out of Chalmers Caldera and popped them into Kiwipts Endless Eclipse away from the chatter of the NPC's. If you picked up they were talking books from somewhere else disregard
    Okay, looks like I got confuzzled between the books and the NPCs.... That happens - I read too fast....

Thanks!
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

8.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #8
    Rift Team

Having books that players could write in is a great idea, but I don't see us getting that tech in the foreseeable future.

The new books are, in fact, books that players collect in the game, and we'll probably make more available depending on players' reaction to the first five. We could conceivably make available books that players must first unlock by finishing a collection, though after we have exhausted the books that don't have requirements.

Interactive objects, unfortunately, cannot be scaled by players. I could make some of the books smaller, though I was thinking that, at 100% size, players could place them over the books that already come in bookshelves. If I'm allowed to make changes this close to 3.2, I'll see about shrinking a couple. Otherwise, the next batch will have some smaller books, and I'll see about using the open book asset, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by krug View Post
    Having books that players could write in is a great idea, but I don't see us getting that tech in the foreseeable future.

The new books are, in fact, books that players collect in the game, and we'll probably make more available depending on players' reaction to the first five. We could conceivably make available books that players must first unlock by finishing a collection, though after we have exhausted the books that don't have requirements.

Interactive objects, unfortunately, cannot be scaled by players. I could make some of the books smaller, though I was thinking that, at 100% size, players could place them over the books that already come in bookshelves. If I'm allowed to make changes this close to 3.2, I'll see about shrinking a couple. Otherwise, the next batch will have some smaller books, and I'll see about using the open book asset, as well.
    That would be awesome, Krug, thanks for looking into this for us.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Thanks Krug! We are the kings and queens of hiding things in Dimensions to create something else and totally dig the bookshelf idea. I was just in a dimension yesterday -"Villa de Verdigris" by Emerald @Greybriar and thought it would be great to just leave a book on the table or fireplace (etc)

Interactive Dimension Books suggestions.-2015-04-10_010444.jpg

Any which way, thanks for taking the time to consider it.

It continues to boggle my mind that you folks are so willing to take up suggestions from the players and actually make them happen. AND you explain the constraints on things, and why they exist, and sometimes figure out how to get around those same constraints!

You guys are just plain AWESOME!

<3 and HUGS!

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #12
    Rift Team

Well, it's always fun engaging the community when they're excited about something, and one of the great things about working on Rift is the flexibility to work on different parts of the game.

It does turn out I won't be able to shrink any of the books currently on PTS, but the next batch will have some smaller books for smaller characters.

Well, it's always fun engaging the community when they're excited about something, and one of the great things about working on Rift is the flexibility to work on different parts of the game.

It does turn out I won't be able to shrink any of the books currently on PTS, but the next batch will have some smaller books for smaller characters.
    That's understandable.... it's pretty close to release to do much tweaking, and at this point real bugs are far more important!

Soulwalker

Default Books

So, in 1998 Ultima Online (the very first mmorpg) had interactive books where players could write anything they wanted. Most were used to advertise their vendors or events; some wrote stories of their hunting conquests or their own legacy. In all the years I played that game I never once saw a book where someone wrote something offensive. The books could be placed/dropped anywhere in the game. Just sayin......

Actually, if you want the whole "create your own" thing, just automatically include the character's name/server on each entry. That way if someone DOES put in something obscene, it autologs who wrote it.

Voila, accountability.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast