+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 301
Like Tree475Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Post 3.0 & The Current State of Dimensions!

  1. #196
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    I feel the same. I think having a lot of dimension options is great, but they can be a big inconvenience for most players. It is also often perceived as a way we (Read: Trion) attempt to force your hand when it comes to purchasing more space. We are totally not that kind of company. The way it works now is simply a side effect of adding a feature that's layered on top of an existing game, nothing more.
    Trion can't get me to buy any more space, because I've already bought all I can get, regardless if that's an intention or not. I shunt as much dimension stuff off to my alts as I can, because otherwise I wouldn't have enough bag space left on my main to carry anything else, like crafting mats (the amount of marks I need for amenders is still making me cry, and I totally blame you for that ). And with 20/20 of dimension slots used, storage dimensions for soulbound items are not an option, either. I've actually had to *gasp* destroy some of the items that were soulbound that I didn't think would be used, because I just didn't have enough room to hold them and had no planned use for them at that time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    So, admittedly I'm still a bit naive in regards to some of the distribution channels for dimension items and which items Faratha specifically didn't want to be handed out via Minions, etc. I'll look into it and see what I can do, but keep in mind that some items are intended to be harder to get than others, etc.


    I get that items like the Dwarven statues will likely still be more difficult to obtain. Difficult is one thing, impossible due to RNG (and you will almost never see things like the statues on the AH) is something else again, and speaks of a definite lack of understanding in the way many dimension items are used, which means in bulk. I appreciate the response to the question, however. Even if things like the Corrugated column and statues are not brought back by minions, just being able to buy the things off the shop (even at a considerable price), would be better than what we have now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    So, I've been talking with art about this already and it's very possible. No timetable yet, but I am quite aware how important these are, since they are literally the building blocks of a lot of dimensions. It really pains me to see you have to take entire houses, flip them upside-down and then scale them down just to make a stage... WTF. That's a complete waste of polygons. At some point in the very near future I'll be asking you guys/gals for a list of new material types (I've already asked about glass, still waiting to hear back) that you really need and any other shapes that you don't have which would be very useful. We need to make sure we ask for the stuff that gets the best bang-for-the-buck in that regard.


    I know that Marigold had requested we PM her with ideas for building blocks a while back...I know of several people, including myself, who sent her walls of text with ideas. Thank you for a response about this as well! NPCs are great, but new building blocks....*drool.* *Digs out lists of requested materials, with Greywood Planks at the very tippy top.* Lol, and I'm definitely guilty of using an entire building just to make a corridor that's completely black (Storage Buildings and Gloamwood Taverns are totally black on the undersides, so that's a definitely need...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    Your timing on this idea is impeccable.

    I've actually be talking with Gingers a bit about creating a, "Dimension Hub"- an instance with a large, open main hall/courtyard/foyer that contains a stage off to the side with a showroom displaying new items added to the game. The items on display would change as new items were added to the game, of course. Next to the stage would be a merchant that would give you quick access to the store bought items.

    Probably at the opposite end of the hall would be an auctioneer, Dream Weaver trainer, workstation and a banker. Each room would be themed (Snow? Sand? Planar? Not sure yet) with a single portal at the end. Using that portal would open a list in your Dimension UI, sorted by that particular theme. A room would be dedicated to the Dimensions with the highest +1 count and so on.

    Access to the hub would be from the crafting area in all of the major cities.

    >>>None of this is final or is even approved, it's just an idea that we've been riffing on.<<<

    You can see my terrible 5 minute MS Paint mock-up to give you an idea as to the floorplan here:

    This is a very interesting concept, particularly the showroom, which is definitely needed for Dreamweaving items and those things that can't be previewed through the normal window. Not too sure about the dimension windows that would open, I kind of actually like scrolling through the list and finding a name that sounds interesting. Not against it, just would definitely have to see it and test it out. I also think this would require some additional work to the dimension UI, by enabling those who build dimensions to assign their dimensions to a certain type (and what about those that wouldn't apply to any planar type, or much of any type?)

    Along with this...what about getting dimensions at default closed to the public? Currently, the default is open, which bogs down all the lists with a bunch of empty dimensions and storage dumps.

    Another question...what about closing off the item list again? This might cause some hubbub because that's how a lot of people identify items that aren't easily recognizable, but it's also a way for people to copy sometimes entire dimensions, by using the item list in conjunction with an addon. If we were raiding, that would be called an exploit. If we actually owned the dimensions, it would also be called theft.

    At any rate, thanks for the update!
    Last edited by Feendish; 03-08-2015 at 11:42 AM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel


    Baradara@Greybriar

  2. #197
    General of Telara Foxfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    So, admittedly I'm still a bit naive in regards to some of the distribution channels for dimension items and which items Faratha specifically didn't want to be handed out via Minions, etc. I'll look into it and see what I can do, but keep in mind that some items are intended to be harder to get than others, etc.
    As far as some items being harder to get than others, that is understandable. The problem comes in when one of those items is something a dimension builder needs/wants multiples of, such as the Large Spoon. It's odd to me that although there are actually some mystery box items being brought to us by Minions (although rarely), some of them, like the spoon, don't seem to be in the loot table. I know I've never seen one on the AH either.

    Also a source of frustration is having to grind prize tickets to get enough Carnival Banquet Kits just to get the dinner plates and goblets. Those of us like myself and Feendish who primarily build homes in our dimensions need MANY of those items, and there are only 6 plates per box and about that many goblets.

    My point is that commonly used/needed items like dishes, spoons, etc., should not be hard to get. There are plenty of other things to lock behind walls other than those.

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    So, I've been talking with art about this already and it's very possible. No timetable yet, but I am quite aware how important these are, since they are literally the building blocks of a lot of dimensions. It really pains me to see you have to take entire houses, flip them upside-down and then scale them down just to make a stage... WTF. That's a complete waste of polygons. At some point in the very near future I'll be asking you guys/gals for a list of new material types (I've already asked about glass, still waiting to hear back) that you really need and any other shapes that you don't have which would be very useful. We need to make sure we ask for the stuff that gets the best bang-for-the-buck in that regard.
    It was just brought to my attention that Marigold actually asked for such a list about a month ago. Perhaps you can check with her, although we would all be more than willing to bombard you with ideas any time you ask us;-)
    Dimensions on Faeblight:
    Gatekeeper's Christmas Cottage, Faerwood Cottage, Sunrise Cottage, Moonglow Cottage (Nym)
    Ozark Mountain Christmas ( Aedrexa)
    Dream Weaver's Palace (Morgeanna)

  3. #198
    Shield of Telara Aeryle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    799

    Default

    Morticus, is it possible to have more dimension slots?

    20 was great when we get them, but since that, many dimensions were added to the game and (i hope) many more will come, so get at least 30 dimensions slots per caracter would be great.

    I hope you will be able to do that.



    Other question, could you make a dimension in droughtlands? And an other in Tyran's throne?
    There are no dimension in theses zones yet and it's bad^^
    Guild: La main occulte on Brisesol.
    French translator of Tinker Tools.
    Owner of the Telara Rail Road: 14 Train Station are currently open to visit

  4. #199
    Rift Chaser Dahbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post

    Your timing on this idea is impeccable.

    I've actually be talking with Gingers a bit about creating a, "Dimension Hub"- an instance with a large, open main hall/courtyard/foyer that contains a stage off to the side with a showroom displaying new items added to the game. The items on display would change as new items were added to the game, of course. Next to the stage would be a merchant that would give you quick access to the store bought items.

    Probably at the opposite end of the hall would be an auctioneer, Dream Weaver trainer, workstation and a banker. Each room would be themed (Snow? Sand? Planar? Not sure yet) with a single portal at the end. Using that portal would open a list in your Dimension UI, sorted by that particular theme. A room would be dedicated to the Dimensions with the highest +1 count and so on.

    Access to the hub would be from the crafting area in all of the major cities.

    >>>None of this is final or is even approved, it's just an idea that we've been riffing on.<<<

    You can see my terrible 5 minute MS Paint mock-up to give you an idea as to the floorplan here:


    If I had to set some criteria for this, the first thing would be No Lists! (except when keys are being assigning a slot). I had a bit of a different vision for the layout, I am not good at all with paint so I will have to use words and my old DM skills to describe the vision I had for this, and its not square at all, nor does it have rooms, shallow alcoves maybe, but not rooms. (That might take a few days, I can PM it to you when its done?)

    The central area could be as you imagined. However, if your gonna go the cheap way out with a single portal, you might as well have clickable "paintings". These paintings would be called from screenshots folder, created with specific names (UI window just for this reason) taken by the player and saved from within the dimension, not outside.

    No I still prefer to walk/ride/run into/onto a portal pad to travel to the dimensions. Clicking and lists are so UO/EQ1 era. When I first played Rift in closed beta, I was so very disappointed that Rift had these massive beautiful Portcullis' and you still had to click on the toll booth operator, you couldnt just run into the giant green curtain and open the portal map. There were so many shortcuts back then and that tradition still continues with this last expansion.

    No, Big-M, if you are going to do this thing, prepare go all out on it, It should not a large area but yet large enough so someone can fart in one corner and not be close enough to smell it in the other, and still be able to point at who did it, all the while maintaining a whispered conversation.
    Last edited by Dahbee; 03-08-2015 at 01:08 PM.
    "Just tune in, turn off, drop out, drop in, switch off, switch on, and explode." TrollBait goes here.
    Dahbee's Law: No matter what gets discussed, voted on, or put into the game, someone will whine.
    Dahbee's Law #2: A good gnome is a dead gnome.

  5. #200
    Ascendant Shattered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    I'd like to ask, whatever happened to Grey Gardens as a dimension? It was on someone's to do list, but we've heard nothing about it for ages. Thank you.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

  6. #201
    Rift Master Seyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post

    It really pains me to see you have to take entire houses, flip them upside-down and then scale them down just to make a stage... WTF. That's a complete waste of polygons
    Hahaha, you don't know the half of it, complete waste of polygons is what dimensioning is all about for some of us
    Seriously though, we are very happy to hear all the good news and that you plan to be so hands-on and thorough with this sometimes neglected part of the game!
    We can provide extensive wish lists of new building blocks any time.

    I agree that the items currently hidden inside kits and randomboxes should be brought out to be sold directly on the store.
    I also agree that newly collected dimensions should default to private, not public, reducing the clutter in the lists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feendish
    Another question...what about closing off the item list again?
    Feendish means making the itemlist invisible to visitors. I think it's enough to disable multiselect from the itemlist (like it was in the beginning), that would take care of the thieving problem. Thanks!

  7. #202
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    Your timing on this idea is impeccable.

    I've actually be talking with Gingers a bit about creating a, "Dimension Hub"- an instance with a large, open main hall/courtyard/foyer that contains a stage off to the side with a showroom displaying new items added to the game. The items on display would change as new items were added to the game, of course. Next to the stage would be a merchant that would give you quick access to the store bought items.

    Probably at the opposite end of the hall would be an auctioneer, Dream Weaver trainer, workstation and a banker. Each room would be themed (Snow? Sand? Planar? Not sure yet) with a single portal at the end. Using that portal would open a list in your Dimension UI, sorted by that particular theme. A room would be dedicated to the Dimensions with the highest +1 count and so on.

    Access to the hub would be from the crafting area in all of the major cities.

    >>>None of this is final or is even approved, it's just an idea that we've been riffing on.<<<

    You can see my terrible 5 minute MS Paint mock-up to give you an idea as to the floorplan here:

    Awesome this is great! Would this hub be able to also include actual Dimensions to view with a public use default for Magic Carpet/Tribal Magic exploring? With the items maybe also different colored tooltips when hovered to assist understanding where they can be achieved in game like: Store - Crafted - PvE - PvP - Event - Lockbox - World/Minions might also be handy? This will also be a great way to test VFX settings etc if there is a space especially for them in the hub.

    I would really love categories for +1 (see Gingers ) to see more current players at the top and also to find different themes etc. Guild Dimensions being in there own list for one.

    Speaking of guilds will 3.2 see any updates for guild Dimensions?

    Lots of things are being revitalized that have been thrown around for a long time in hope, look forward to seeing these requests whittle down supporting being able to only click one item at a time on Items List plus the default closed to all new dims to save us entering empty ones and ye...

    Polygon schmollydom lol Once new tiles are put in this may change a little but many of the buildings and how well they scale make great flooring Kelari Temples (Pure Black) & Mausoleums (Silver bricked with gold rim) as examples - Marigold got swamped with PM's I'm sure there are also lots of ideas fullstop + tiles on this thread

    So exciting!

    #morphorriot
    Last edited by Kiwi; 03-08-2015 at 08:25 PM.

  8. #203
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    164

    Default

    Mort - Does the game still try to render the part of the building underground? I worked with modding a flight sim under an NDA and a hi poly count is death (lowers the frame rate and can cause lag). Thats the reason for LODs on models (level of detail) reduce the poly count of items in the distance..

    If it does still render it, could this type of thing be the cause of some of the VFX issues we are seeing? thx
    Active Dimensions on Greybriar:
    Castle Wyndfall Trilogy: Castle Wyndfall, Castle Wyndfall Siege, Neoga's Wyndfalls
    Neoga: Neoga's Wyndfalls, Neoga's Retreat, Neoga's Merry Christmas Dream
    Wyndfort: Castle Wyndfall
    Kerez: Royal Palace of Gödöllo, Castle Wyndfall Siege

  9. #204
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    I know you said the collection thing was only a possibility and not a reality, but here's a random thought...

    Currently, we can use dimensionaddicts.com to share sets that we create with our addons. What if, not only as a bag saving measure, we could make collections like premade stuff that could be traded back and forth. For example, Dimension Collection: House Frame, constructed of nothing but building blocks, so that whoever took it could do whatever they wanted to with it at that point. Or Dimension Collection: White Cushion Chair (or anything).

    Granted, I don't write code, so this may be a really complicated thing to do, but if we ever reached a point where we could merge and/or compress items in our bags so that they took up less space, it doesn't seem like it would be much a stretch past that to being able to complete buy orders for dimension morphs.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel


    Baradara@Greybriar

  10. #205
    Telaran some1232's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    I know you said the collection thing was only a possibility and not a reality, but here's a random thought...

    Currently, we can use dimensionaddicts.com to share sets that we create with our addons. What if, not only as a bag saving measure, we could make collections like premade stuff that could be traded back and forth. For example, Dimension Collection: House Frame, constructed of nothing but building blocks, so that whoever took it could do whatever they wanted to with it at that point. Or Dimension Collection: White Cushion Chair (or anything).

    Granted, I don't write code, so this may be a really complicated thing to do, but if we ever reached a point where we could merge and/or compress items in our bags so that they took up less space, it doesn't seem like it would be much a stretch past that to being able to complete buy orders for dimension morphs.
    I like this idea. I had a similar one awhile back when the community was screaming for the ability to break dimension items because of limited space. I thought it might be neat for Dreamweavers to be able to combine base items into a new item. For example, you could use 6 limestone tiles, 2 limestone rectangles and 2 wood poles to craft a refrigerator. It would give Dreamweavers more than just unreliable effects to craft as well as increase the value of the base dimension items. Also as a plus it would free up item count in our dimensions as well as in our inventories in some cases.

    I know this isn't that detailed of an idea and is possibly pretty silly, but I would like to see something... more for Dreamweavers.

    On another note I'm pretty excited about all the new and improved things coming for us in the future and I thank you Morticus for giving us your attention.

  11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #206
    Rift Team Morticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    576

    Default

    You can now add snow flurries and a blizzard to your Dimensions, just like the Indoor/Outdoor Precipitator! Look for it on the Rift store, Artifact Collector merchant and inside minion mission rewards!

    New snow projectors for 3.2:



  12. #207
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    You can now add snow flurries and a blizzard to your Dimensions, just like the Indoor/Outdoor Precipitator! Look for it on the Rift store, Artifact Collector merchant and inside minion mission rewards!

    New snow projectors for 3.2:


    Nice! I hope some of the sound projections coming might also include wind, crashing waves etc to match the awesomeness

    Are Lucky Coin collection rewards being looked at in the near future Morticus? (Some suggestions from way back at the link)

    PS Flurrifier is such an awesome word.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 03-09-2015 at 04:47 PM.

  13. #208
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morticus View Post
    You can now add snow flurries and a blizzard to your Dimensions, just like the Indoor/Outdoor Precipitator! Look for it on the Rift store, Artifact Collector merchant and inside minion mission rewards!

    New snow projectors for 3.2:

    O.O, the artifact collector?
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel


    Baradara@Greybriar

  14. #209
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    O.O, the artifact collector?
    Lol I answered from my phone then thought wait...logged in OH LUCKY COINS!

    BOOYA!

  15. #210
    Plane Touched Aloegel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Please add a Warfront Ascended Courage buff (Gear Bolstering) for PvP Dimensons
    Last edited by Aloegel; 03-10-2015 at 12:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts