+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
Like Tree21Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Why I have decided NOT to enter any more contests!

  1. #1
    Rift Chaser Zillaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    316

    Default Why I have decided NOT to enter any more contests!

    Since it is obvious to me that Trion has no interest in fixing or even responding to all the many problems that have appeared since 3.0 regarding VFX, I have decided not to enter any more contests. It is increasingly obvious that each time I enter a given dimension, it may look completely different from the time before. This problem is not limited to VFX either. Many effects only work on a whim, if at all. Specifically - this is what happened.
    I had spent hours working on a Dimension for the tree decorating contest. When i entered to do more work - the following had occurred.
    1) The Ground Raser Mushroom was no longer working - even when i removed it and replaced it
    2) Source Stone Spheres - they all had a slight glow, but none had the usual pulse effect
    3) None of the new colored fires were working
    4) Time of Day item was - as usual - ineffective.
    The first response would be to blame my computer and the video settings. I am running at ultra. Also - when my wife entered she found all the above to be true for her as well, and she is on a completely different computer located 1000 miles away. Not to mention that things were working fine earlier.
    Ultimately, only a full exit and restart of the game fixed the problem.
    Which leads me back to my title statement.
    How am I going to know that a judge in a contest is going to see anything close to what I am trying to create. Is it reasonable to expect them to exit and restart the game to view my Dim? Of course not.
    Many people have mention various problems such as this continuously on the forums, with no response from developers to let us know if they are even aware of these problems, are working on a fix, or even care. In fact the only developer response i have seen on the Dimension forums recently was to say "Oops, I'll look into the missing candy canes"
    I would imagine I speak for many when I say i would prefer WORKING VFX to candy canes
    Personally, I was insulted that the developers felt that particular post was worthy of a response (no offence intended to the author of the post - i would like candy cane too)
    So - as much as I would like to enter both the current contests, I am too frustrated with this issue after tonight. I am sorry this sounds like a bit of a rant, but as much as i expect no response, I would really like to know if this is being addressed.

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser Arwhen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    315

    Default

    For my part, except many problems with Dimension Tools or disconnection Wi-Fi, so no responsibility for Trion, I have no problem with the game itself. We know the effects of the weaver of dreams very (sometimes too) discreet, but hopefully not the last. I also invite you to go see those Nathanae @ Brisesol create (for example, in RIFT EXPO ihihih !!!). In short, I understand your frustration and I hope that these problems will be resolved quickly, it is always sad to see an architect dimensions to abandon such sad reasons.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    185

    Default

    It also depends on the dimension - and heavily. I have very, very few glitches... unless it happens to be Vengeful Sky. Then the glitches happen often.

    VFX stop working, objects move themselves or disappear entirely, fall through the dimensions base in some areas still (though, at least there is now a 'ground' under there). And time of day has zero effect in this one - though that may be intended.
    Imri <Evolution> Defiant Mage Greybriar
    Dimension(s):
    Hermits Hollow on Greybriar
    Serene Villa on Greybriar

  4. #4
    Ascendant Narcise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Imrielle View Post
    It also depends on the dimension - and heavily. I have very, very few glitches... unless it happens to be Vengeful Sky. Then the glitches happen often.

    VFX stop working, objects move themselves or disappear entirely, fall through the dimensions base in some areas still (though, at least there is now a 'ground' under there). And time of day has zero effect in this one - though that may be intended.
    Yah, VS is one that's labeled "time of day fixed" IIRC. I just wish 3springs would behave with ToD - or that they'd fix whatever they borked with 3.0 *sigh*
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

  5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5
    Rift Team Gingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    668

    Default

    If VFX on dimension items aren't displaying correctly please list them here and be specific, following this format would really help:

    * Exact Name of Dimension Item
    * VFX problem
    * Expected VFX (if the VFX was working correctly, what should it be doing or looking like?)
    * Any other specifics such as are you viewing this in low quality renderer, does this happen all the time or just sometimes, etc.


    I can't guarantee they will be fixed but I can at least make sure the right dev knows about it. Thanks!

  6. #6
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    If VFX on dimension items aren't displaying correctly please list them here and be specific, following this format would really help:

    * Exact Name of Dimension Item
    * VFX problem
    * Expected VFX (if the VFX was working correctly, what should it be doing or looking like?)
    * Any other specifics such as are you viewing this in low quality renderer, does this happen all the time or just sometimes, etc.


    I can't guarantee they will be fixed but I can at least make sure the right dev knows about it. Thanks!
    Please forward this thread Gingers. What you are asking would take a lot of time as Dimensions tend to be moody and flicker in and out at different times, in different dimensions with different items and with many Dimensioneers. Thank you for the time you take though as always and have a wonderful holiday season.

    EDIT: Also this thread please thank you!
    Last edited by Kiwi; 12-23-2014 at 10:37 AM.

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser JaydedRIft's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zillaan View Post
    Since it is obvious to me that Trion has no interest in fixing or even responding to all the many problems that have appeared since 3.0 regarding VFX, I have decided not to enter any more contests. It is increasingly obvious that each time I enter a given dimension, it may look completely different from the time before. This problem is not limited to VFX either. Many effects only work on a whim, if at all. Specifically - this is what happened.
    I had spent hours working on a Dimension for the tree decorating contest. When i entered to do more work - the following had occurred.
    1) The Ground Raser Mushroom was no longer working - even when i removed it and replaced it
    2) Source Stone Spheres - they all had a slight glow, but none had the usual pulse effect
    3) None of the new colored fires were working
    4) Time of Day item was - as usual - ineffective.
    The first response would be to blame my computer and the video settings. I am running at ultra. Also - when my wife entered she found all the above to be true for her as well, and she is on a completely different computer located 1000 miles away. Not to mention that things were working fine earlier.
    Ultimately, only a full exit and restart of the game fixed the problem.
    Which leads me back to my title statement.
    How am I going to know that a judge in a contest is going to see anything close to what I am trying to create. Is it reasonable to expect them to exit and restart the game to view my Dim? Of course not.
    Many people have mention various problems such as this continuously on the forums, with no response from developers to let us know if they are even aware of these problems, are working on a fix, or even care. In fact the only developer response i have seen on the Dimension forums recently was to say "Oops, I'll look into the missing candy canes"
    I would imagine I speak for many when I say i would prefer WORKING VFX to candy canes
    Personally, I was insulted that the developers felt that particular post was worthy of a response (no offence intended to the author of the post - i would like candy cane too)
    So - as much as I would like to enter both the current contests, I am too frustrated with this issue after tonight. I am sorry this sounds like a bit of a rant, but as much as i expect no response, I would really like to know if this is being addressed.
    I totally agree with Zillan. This happens to me constantly. It's not any particular dimension or certain fixture. It's just totally random where my lights, fire, groundrazer mushrooms, terrain paints, anything interactive just does NOT work. I'm running an alienware with a great graphics card (drivers always up to date!) & settings on Ultra. Yes its frustrating having to log out & then back in only to have it glitch yet again in the near future. Please please look into a fix. I'm sure the dimension community will be much appreciative

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    If VFX on dimension items aren't displaying correctly please list them here and be specific, following this format would really help:

    * Exact Name of Dimension Item
    * VFX problem
    * Expected VFX (if the VFX was working correctly, what should it be doing or looking like?)
    * Any other specifics such as are you viewing this in low quality renderer, does this happen all the time or just sometimes, etc.


    I can't guarantee they will be fixed but I can at least make sure the right dev knows about it. Thanks!
    Yes, what Kiwi said. VFX will work, and sometimes... just not work. Its not a specific item - its *all* of them - everything with a special effect (terrain paints, motes, water, fire), or even items that just are - like lights.

    For example, yesterday someone wanted to view the dimension I was working on. As we were sitting there discussing my waterfall, for *both* of us the water effects just shut off. Waterfall Curtain, Splashing Water, Silent Waterfall Splash, Awning Drip Line, Creek Waterfall Splash. All of them, all at once. Then, a few hours later, they randomly started showing up again.

    I can't speak for her, but personally, I had everything on except anti-aliasing (I let my card handle this) and the fullscreen effects setting (blur and such, since its absolutely blinding in snow based zones like Tarken and Iron Pine Peak). Basically, Ultra with tweaks. If it helps, some of these effects will stop working in the 'real' zones, too, like Meridian. When the water stopped, I could no longer see snow or lights in cities. Effects will also stop if I have everything set to application controlled via my video card - in fact, I can *only* see them reliably if I have my card or Radeon Pro handling certain settings, like AA, or if I have Radeon Pro force on Triple-Buffering.

    And, sometimes, to get them to render again, I have to delete the Rift.cfg file and redo all of my settings. This, at least, is a guaranteed fix for a day or two. Or, until Glyph updates. A Glyph update almost always kills VFX on my end.
    Imri <Evolution> Defiant Mage Greybriar
    Dimension(s):
    Hermits Hollow on Greybriar
    Serene Villa on Greybriar

  9. #9
    Ascendant Narcise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,468

    Default

    What Kiwi and Imri both said, Gingers. I have all settings on Ultra except shadows (my aging machine will handle shadows maxed but they're resource hogs....) and what happens is just as they both said: things are fine for a while, but then go cattiwompus suddenly for no real reason. Now, the dims I play in mostly are not full, and won't be for some while and none of them are really stuffed with VFX items.

    Moonshade Highlands: Time of day 5 am, 1 smoke, a groundrazor mushroom, several water items (sorry, not in game, can't count right now) - I know there's a dripline, one occasional drip, probably half a dozen waterfall bits to make a creek....

    What happens: it's only 5 am on the upper area with the lodge; the smoke only works sometimes; the creek water parts are always "on" but the drips and dripline work only sometimes; the mushroom only works sometimes. There's no specific time, day, game time, etc. that the failures have in common.

    Moonshade Pools: Time of day 5 am, two smokes, two groundrazor mushrooms. The same situation as Highlands with the failures: it's only 5 am from the zone-in to the back of the dim (north) and partway south - and west it changes to "normal" game time almost immediately.

    Anywhere: right now its a warehouse for my items stash - because I put a ToD in it to begin with, and it really was only "on" for about 30 meters, and even right in the center zone-in, if I turned sometimes it would flash in and out.

    The larger dims have these issues - my smaller ones (Warden's Point, Sanguine Shores, Faen's Retreat etc.) don't.

    Thanks for taking the time to post, ask questions.... Hope your holidays are wonderful!
    Last edited by Narcise; 12-24-2014 at 06:44 AM.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

  10. #10
    Rift Chaser Zillaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    316

    Default

    First of all...
    Gingers - thank you very much for responding. At least now i know you are aware of the issue and are doing your best to look into it. I dont expect miracles, and all i ask is that it is being addressed. I can imagine how difficult this will be to track down - and I know the more info you get from us players the better.
    Much like the others have said - mine seems to be random occurrences. Sometimes its a matter of slipping out to a storage DIM, and when I get back, things are wonky. Logging in and out of a DIM or even a log out to the character screen does NOT fix it - but an exit and restart of the game does.
    Sometimes distance from the VFX item plays a role. When i approach, they suddenly work, and if i back up - they cease. I have my distance settings to maximum. I notice this mostly with the smoke effects - especially Massive Smoke Plume. Fire effects are usually the first things i notice not working.
    As I and others have said too - these problems are not limited to Dreamweaving VFX. Other items that have glow effects can also bug out. As well as the weed control.
    So far - i have never seen an elevator not work.
    Thank you again - and I hope people will keep posting more info on this post so you can get as much Data as possible

  11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #11
    Rift Team Gingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Please forward this thread Gingers. What you are asking would take a lot of time as Dimensions tend to be moody and flicker in and out at different times, in different dimensions with different items and with many Dimensioneers. Thank you for the time you take though as always and have a wonderful holiday season.

    EDIT: Also this thread please thank you!
    So let me give some background as to what would happen on our end. I would send a task to our QA team to track down the bugs. If they can reproduce it, then would send the bug to our graphics engineer for him to work on at some point.

    To help our QA team, I need specific item names so they know what items to test. Even if it doesn't happen all the time they can still look into it. But to be able to test some of the VFX items, they need to know some item names so they can spawn them, so please just list any VFX actual item names of things you've seen bug out.

    Thanks!

  12. #12
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gingers View Post
    So let me give some background as to what would happen on our end. I would send a task to our QA team to track down the bugs. If they can reproduce it, then would send the bug to our graphics engineer for him to work on at some point.

    To help our QA team, I need specific item names so they know what items to test. Even if it doesn't happen all the time they can still look into it. But to be able to test some of the VFX items, they need to know some item names so they can spawn them, so please just list any VFX actual item names of things you've seen bug out.

    Thanks!
    It's Christmas eve! Go spoil yourself!
    I'm also aware what you are after what I meant was this is the kind of info that might be needed which is a lot.

    Name Char & Shard:
    Name Dimension:
    Type of Dimension:
    Capacity of Dimension (used and unused ie 35/400):
    In game Time: (Type /time in chat in game)
    VFX Item Name:
    VFX Item Problem:
    Did it fix itself leaving and re-entering the dimension?
    Did re-logging fix the problem?
    Were you using any other add ons when problem occurred?
    How many other VFX items do you currently have in this Dimension?
    How many lighting items do you have in the Dimension?
    Do you have any other interactive items in the Dimension?
    Is this VFX item outside the building boundary?
    Do you have any items outside the building boundary?
    What graphics card do you use?
    What settings do you have for your graphics in game? (Please provide screenshot):


    That's how sensitive they are.

    I will check it out soon but I have upgraded my video card so might not be of much help now will get back to you.
    It would be great to have official guide lines on computer specs/graphic cards as well as how many to use in each Dimension with the other items such as lighting/interactive/yellow labeled which also seem to effect each other.

    If anyone wants to copy paste the questions above to answer below feel free to.

    EDIT: Popping this Advanced Settings guide for VFX just in case anyone needs to check there's.

    Last edited by Kiwi; 12-24-2014 at 08:03 PM.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    164

    Default

    I also want to say thanks... I want to make the following offer. I am retiring in March. I have done software development and software QA. I have also worked extensively with programs such as AutoCAD, GMAX (I used to write diagnostics for a CAD/CAM division of GE and learned their 3D package quite well. If I can help in any way, let me know. (I will reaffirm this closer to retirement time.)

    I haven not been here as long as the others but the only reason I play Rift is to be able to dim... To have carefully planned effects mess up can spoil a carefully planned illusion. I suspect that in retirement even Dimming/Rifting will get tiring. What better to do than improve the dimming experience?
    Thanks in advance, resume on demand...
    Terry aka Neoga / Wynd
    Last edited by Neoga Wynd; 12-26-2014 at 04:22 PM.
    Active Dimensions on Greybriar:
    Castle Wyndfall Trilogy: Castle Wyndfall, Castle Wyndfall Siege, Neoga's Wyndfalls
    Neoga: Neoga's Wyndfalls, Neoga's Retreat, Neoga's Merry Christmas Dream
    Wyndfort: Castle Wyndfall
    Kerez: Royal Palace of Gödöllo, Castle Wyndfall Siege

  14. #14
    Ascendant Wonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,690

    Default

    The OP is correct, you do have to restart the game to be sure your effects, including, torches of all sorts, water splashes, glow effects on planar items and all types of lighting are actually working. I have had the same thoughts, what will a visitor see? What I created or a completely different dead dimension that has most of it's flavor stamped out by bugs.

    What's scary is the reply by a developer that this is unknown to them or that they need examples, this has been an ongoing problem for a long, long time... to say you don't know about this is to admit you never have created a dimension with any lighting effect details... scary.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
    What's scary is the reply by a developer that this is unknown to them or that they need examples, this has been an ongoing problem for a long, long time... to say you don't know about this is to admit you never have created a dimension with any lighting effect details... scary.
    Or, alternately, they have - but with a developer version of the game that doesn't have this bug.
    Imri <Evolution> Defiant Mage Greybriar
    Dimension(s):
    Hermits Hollow on Greybriar
    Serene Villa on Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts