• 2 Post By Les Toreadors
  • 2 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By Les Toreadors
  • 2 Post By Neoga Wynd
  • 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By Proclus_Lycaeus
  • 1 Post By Feendish
  • 1 Post By Les Toreadors

Thread: Entire Dimension with nearly 800 placed items DISAPPEARED.

Thumbs down Entire Dimension with nearly 800 placed items DISAPPEARED.

I'm posting this thread as some sort of seeking consolation for a guildmate who lost an entire dimension he spent months building, with a lot of unique customized rooms and features that we individually requested for from time to time.

The awesome Port of Party with all its magitech concert equipment and pillow-padded walls has now been reverted to the undeveloped beaches of Fort Zarnost.

A few hours prior to the earlier server downtime on Faeblight, he lost connection to the server and relogged in the next minute but upon return, was dismayed to find his entire Dimension was wiped clean and all the items therein were placed into a moving box.

He has opened a ticket to request the Dimension were reinstated but what are the chances of it being restored?

Has anyone successfully "recovered" a Dimension from such a "wipeout" before?

In the meantime, I wrote a short story regarding a magitech amplifier of 1.21 jiggawatts connected to a drum set causing a tear in the space time continuum activating a major water planar incursion... causing "the server wipe that will live in infamy" [News Report].
    Last edited by Les Toreadors; 12-10-2014 at 07:24 PM.
    Aishlaya@Faeblight - Ph.D. Explosive Sheep Husbandry

Sick of elitism and guild drama?
    Join "Born on the Vaiyuu"
    All-purpose social guild for all levels (PvP/PvE/Raiding/RP/Bacon Explosions)

RIFT Fan Site Operator

It has been many a long while since people have posted having built dimensions moved to the moving crate. I have only seen it happen when people were switching keys/adding new ones-when we got the ability to have more than 2 Dimensions OR when using Dimension Tools to move shards/shift a large number of items.

This would be a first (on forums which doesn't mean it hasn't happened) and I am sorry for your friends lost, they weren't by any chance adding a new key or switching a Dimension out when this happened?

In all the cases I have heard when people have accidentally moved a build to the moving crate I have never heard of anyone having it officially restored I am unsure if that is even possible for Trion to save because that seems like a ton of work with the thousands of builds out there however I am once again not 100% and hope your friend finds peace of mind soon.

At the point of the disappearance we were waiting for him (Dimension owner) to finish placing a few more tables and chairs while I wandered off to do some LFG dungeons.

I don't think he'd make the mistake of switching dimensions or keys since this one and only Dim was his pride and joy for at least the past couple of months he spent putting it together.

We (guildies) have already advised him it might not be possible to rollback Dimensions but did encourage him and several others to jointly start a mock rebuilding effort like it was some post-disaster humanitarian project.

It's just a reminder that we 'live' in a volatile digital realm in the game and screenshots are important! I would've pestered for screenshots that day so I can advertise the completed dimension here on the forums but alas, the Law of Murphy triumphed that day.

Rift Disciple

Which leads one to posit this.... I suspect a dim is a "linked list" The initial part would deal with the dim name, then item count (properties of the dim) then one line for each item placed (similar to the item list in RDA though probably with more information. If it is not possible for Trion to keep backups of Dims (and I can understand that) the how about if they let us back it up to our PC? Reload it from the crate (and if something is not in the crate let us add it to the crate..) (Hint, they need to read this lol)

It would save them call tickets and us frustrations. It *could* also go to reducing key usage. I can load Kestral's for Christmas dim, Jan 15 pack the crate and reload it for Valentines March 1 reload for... Only change (other than backup restore part) at 30,000 ft I can see is tie the + counter to the name so that gets saved too. (but each incarnation of the dim would track separately if it had a different name... Oh yeah encrypt the data (but also make a human readable item list as to what is needed)

Just musings while the servers are down.. but hey you never know... Hey Trion, I am getting ready to retire, I think you need a PT advisor, I work *cheap* ;)
    Active Dimensions on Greybriar:
    Castle Wyndfall Trilogy: Castle Wyndfall, Castle Wyndfall Siege, Neoga's Wyndfalls
    Neoga: Neoga's Wyndfalls, Neoga's Retreat, Neoga's Merry Christmas Dream
    Wyndfort: Castle Wyndfall
    Kerez: Royal Palace of Gödöllo, Castle Wyndfall Siege

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Hi Neoga! One current solution I've found really helpful to branch off saving things onto DT's & Toolbox add ons is copying an updated character to the PTS with each latest build (I have also done this half way through builds or built on PTS first then save and bring it over) hence I was so happy when we could get 20 Dimensions though like many the "shuffle" that occurred in those weeks to try and get Dimensions onto one character was equivalent to the storage migraines and some lol
    Last edited by Kiwi; 12-11-2014 at 11:45 AM.

I have always wished there was some way to "Save your dimension". Not only for things like this, but so that you could do something even more twisted ... sell "Dimension Blueprints".

Just think about it. If you could have a "Blueprint", you could then maybe sell your blueprints on the auction house to people who like that dimension and gather the items to make it, then hit "Build from Blueprint" and it would put all the items (or all the items you have in place) automatically.

People could buy, sell, trade plans and allow people like me who can't design a good Dimension worth a dang. People who have the skill/talent to do so, could make money off their designs.

The possibilities of such a thing ... as well as making essentially a "Dimension Backup" for yourself ... are limitless.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Proclus_Lycaeus View Post
    I have always wished there was some way to "Save your dimension". Not only for things like this, but so that you could do something even more twisted ... sell "Dimension Blueprints".

This.

We happened to be discussing this on guild channel right meow and we all agree with you It seems a pity the ability to save and backup dimensions were not built into the current implementation.

Servers are robust and all but brown stuff does hit the rotating object from time to time, as is the case with the OP scenario.

For dimension blueprints I think the availability of traded blueprints would add a whole new... dimension to dimension building, in that sub-assemblies of stuff could be traded and utilized by the community.

Like for instance if someone built a shrine to Mariel-Taun. Instead of trying to replicate the structure and all its fine decorations somewhere else, a dimension builder with traded blueprints could plop down the prefabricated structure with the requisite parts.

And if I arranged like, 200 pillows into a Pillow Fort, I'm sure I'd love to have personalized Pillow Forts setup in every guild dimension here. Sure beats rebuilding the pillow castle by hand

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Les Toreadors View Post
    This.

We happened to be discussing this on guild channel right meow and we all agree with you It seems a pity the ability to save and backup dimensions were not built into the current implementation.

Servers are robust and all but brown stuff does hit the rotating object from time to time, as is the case with the OP scenario.

For dimension blueprints I think the availability of traded blueprints would add a whole new... dimension to dimension building, in that sub-assemblies of stuff could be traded and utilized by the community.

Like for instance if someone built a shrine to Mariel-Taun. Instead of trying to replicate the structure and all its fine decorations somewhere else, a dimension builder with traded blueprints could plop down the prefabricated structure with the requisite parts.

And if I arranged like, 200 pillows into a Pillow Fort, I'm sure I'd love to have personalized Pillow Forts setup in every guild dimension here. Sure beats rebuilding the pillow castle by hand
    To an extent, you can do this with Toolbox and Dimension Tools. When I remember, I save entire dimensions into multiple sets in case the worst happens (again), and keep the backup file on my desktop so it doesn't clutter up my Toolbox dropdown any more than it naturally is anyway.

You may not be able to sell the code for those sets on the AH, but you could probably sell them if you were enterprising enough. Otherwise, there's set sharing functionality on Dimension Addicts.
    Last edited by Feendish; 12-12-2014 at 05:57 AM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I am pleased to report the owner of the ill-fated Port d'Party has taken up my challenge to see the rebuilding as a pleasant opportunity to make improvements to the project.

The dimension is actually mostly put together as of today and is just lacking a few functional touches like the sewer system and of course, the secret dungeons. Hehehe...

+ Reply to Thread