+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Zillaan
  • 1 Post By Zillaan
  • 2 Post By Narcise
  • 2 Post By Neoga Wynd

Thread: Consistency in VFX - PLEASE!

Default Consistency in VFX - PLEASE!

Well - this is a slight bit of a rant, but i will try to make it brief. My wish is that VFX in DIMS would work consistently, meaning when i get them set up exactly how i want them, log out for a couple of hours, and then log back into my DIM - that they would still be working as they were. Specifically, i am referring this time to the Massive Smoke Plume, which seems to work when, and if, it feels like it. Currently, I am about to publicly open a new DIM with a Spooky/Halloween theme that features several of these. I am not sure how to make sure it is ready for public viewing - if i cant even get them to work for me. And, before anyone says it - it cannot be my settings - or they wouldn't work at all - not just sometimes .
    ARGGG

RIFT Fan Site Operator

If not consistency I would greatly appreciate an official guideline on how many VFX items, lighting, interactive and yellow labeled items can be used in each dimension considering they are different heights and widths which also seems to have an impact.

It might be handy to also include computer compatibility having just upgraded my video card (GTX 770), motherboard (Intel Core i5-4690K) and power supply with no vfx problems since but I've also gotten in the habit of limiting my builds to 20 VFX, 20 Lights, 5 yellow/interactive and never going full capacity but I'll let ya's know in a week or two how my current build goes as I build in an Edge of Infinity and plan to take it to max and go beyond my usual choices mentioned above to see what happens understanding we are very fortunate to have these wonderful items that developers themselves use and computers would make a difference.

I'm willing to test every Dimension with someone who can speed the process up with me and work this out if need be, let me finish this current build though and also allow time for organizing my Minion dominated mailbox and Dimension item storage daily

#FORSCIENCE
    Last edited by Kiwi; 11-25-2014 at 07:07 PM.

well - to give a little more info...
    the DIM I am working in has WAY more than 20 VFX - and for the most part they all work fine. Occasionally, all FIRE effects will cease to work, and nothing short of a full exit and restart of the game will bring them back. As for the Massive Smoke Plume, after i wrote the above post, I noticed if I got near the item, it would activate. This made me think it might be my distance settings, until later, after working on the DIM for a bit, I noticed that ALL the Massive Smoke Plumes were suddenly working (I have about 10 of them around the edge of the DIM to give me the effect i want) There goes the settings theory - lol
    Why it frustrates me so much is - I build these DIMS for myself, as a creative outlet.
    But - I also build them to be VIEWED, and with the viewer in mind. I often places things very specifically to be viewed from certain angles and for certain "moods". A lot of the items I place are designed to "trick" viewers into taking a specific path through my DIM (although I noticed that when giving a tour to a true ADDICT, they check out every nook and cranny - lol)
    So - it upsets me when some of the VFX i use for mood or features dont work.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Zillaan View Post
    well - to give a little more info...
    the DIM I am working in has WAY more than 20 VFX - and for the most part they all work fine. Occasionally, all FIRE effects will cease to work, and nothing short of a full exit and restart of the game will bring them back. As for the Massive Smoke Plume, after i wrote the above post, I noticed if I got near the item, it would activate. This made me think it might be my distance settings, until later, after working on the DIM for a bit, I noticed that ALL the Massive Smoke Plumes were suddenly working (I have about 10 of them around the edge of the DIM to give me the effect i want) There goes the settings theory - lol
    Why it frustrates me so much is - I build these DIMS for myself, as a creative outlet.
    But - I also build them to be VIEWED, and with the viewer in mind. I often places things very specifically to be viewed from certain angles and for certain "moods". A lot of the items I place are designed to "trick" viewers into taking a specific path through my DIM (although I noticed that when giving a tour to a true ADDICT, they check out every nook and cranny - lol)
    So - it upsets me when some of the VFX i use for mood or features dont work.
    Understood That may have something to do with all the other items in your Dimension especially lights, elevators, Nico etc or if it's at max capacity of the capacity chosen but also many people can't see them regardless because of settings and computers that a developer cannot control. Its almost like there needs to be a friendly notice when entering "VFX items are in effect in this Dimension please check your settings and have a fantabulous day"
    Last edited by Kiwi; 11-26-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Yep, Kiwi's hit it pretty much. Here's the thing - even though my settings are maxed, and even if I play with dx a bit where it seems that things aren't appearing as they "should".... many times I won't see things like smoke, fire, etc. and I never see terrain paints. So I'm not seeing what people have done exactly as they're planning to have them seen.

It is what it is....
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Rift Disciple

When you do anything that uses effects your video card (like rifting..) You can overload the video buffer. At that time you may lose your alpha texture (look at the leaves on plants) you may also become "fire impaired". I have seen it on occasion when all of a sudden fire and lights come back on, but the most certain and complete is a restart. Please note that fire impairment is not necessarily an issue with Rift itself rather overloading the video buffer on your card (and this is determined by you video setting, what you do, and OFC your vid card). When you load Rift (or any properly written game) it reinitializes said buffer.
    Active Dimensions on Greybriar:
    Castle Wyndfall Trilogy: Castle Wyndfall, Castle Wyndfall Siege, Neoga's Wyndfalls
    Neoga: Neoga's Wyndfalls, Neoga's Retreat, Neoga's Merry Christmas Dream
    Wyndfort: Castle Wyndfall
    Kerez: Royal Palace of Gödöllo, Castle Wyndfall Siege

Quote Originally Posted by Neoga Wynd View Post
    When you do anything that uses effects your video card (like rifting..) You can overload the video buffer. At that time you may lose your alpha texture (look at the leaves on plants) you may also become "fire impaired". I have seen it on occasion when all of a sudden fire and lights come back on, but the most certain and complete is a restart. Please note that fire impairment is not necessarily an issue with Rift itself rather overloading the video buffer on your card (and this is determined by you video setting, what you do, and OFC your vid card). When you load Rift (or any properly written game) it reinitializes said buffer.
    Thank You. A very helpful explanation.

+ Reply to Thread