+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree313Likes

Thread: Dimension Morphing Contest - Animals!

RIFT Fan Site Operator DimensionDiva's Avatar

Default Dimension Morphing Contest - Animals!

Dimension Morphing Contest - Animals!-2014-11-24_134446.jpg
    Flower Meadow Wigwams@Wolfsbane NA
    Herd of Horses (a herd of two!)

Dimension Morphing Contest - Animals!

Contest Theme:
    Create a dimension with animal morphs! Build your dimension with one or more animal morphs using no more than 400 items total. The animal(s) can be real or fictional. Fictional animals must exist somewhere in fiction or mythology. New species of animals that were not discovered before this contest are not allowed. Humanoid animals (e.g., Bigfoot) are not allowed (although I would love to see such a dimension!).

Contest Requirements:

Entries must be new, individual work. One entry per player, please. If possible, use an empty dimension for your contest entry. A dimension with a pre-existing build or storage area may be used but the contest entry must be well-away from any pre-existing work.

Deadline:
    No entries will be accepted after Saturday, 1/31/2015 at 12 midnight PST (NA Server Time). All contest entry dimensions must remain private until this date and time (unless you make prior arrangements with me). Winners will be announced and prizes will be awarded on or before Friday, 2/6/2015.

Prizes:
    First Place = 4 REX
    Second Place = 3 REX
    Judge's Choice = 1 REX each (3 total)

How to Enter:
    Create a post in this thread with the following information for your contest entry dimension:
    1. Dimension Name: Flower Meadow Wigwams
    2. Dimension Owner: Dimensiondiva
    3. Shard: Wolfsbane
    4. Animal Description(s): Horses
    If your animal(s) are fictional and not widely known (for example, a Unicorn is widely known), please indicate where the fictional animal(s) originate so I can do research for comparison.

The Judges:
    I would like to thank Feendish@Greybriar NA and Ralitza@Gelidra EU for graciously agreeing to serve as judges, along with me! We are all extremely addicted to Dimensions and spend a lot of our RIFT playtime building and/or morphing. As "Dimensionerd Extraordinaires," per the Dimension Touring Company (shameless plug!), both Feendish and Rali are excellent judges. I love morphing and I'm providing the prizes, so that means I'm qualified, too!

Judging Criteria:
    Realism of the Animal(s) - Realism of the animal morphs is the main criteria for earning points here. Please consider available dimension items when choosing your animal(s). If somebody has their heart set on making Barney, the Dinosaur, and he's red because we don't have many purple dimension items, Barney's morpher will lose points here! Obviously, a shark that looks like a shark will get more points than a shark that looks like an armadillo. Friends who give good feedback make great pre-judges!
    Quality of Work - Bits sticking out, edges showing, obvious shapes of component items, and other flaws really make a difference with morphs. Since we are creating something from a bunch of other things, morphing can be challenging. How a morpher selects, combines, and camouflages component items matters a lot in determining how points are awarded here.
    Creatvity - Creative use of unexpected items will win points here. Also, while we are mainly judging the animals, a creative person who uses leftover item count to make the area near the morph coordinate with their animal dimension theme, will win points here! But an otherwise empty dimension with a giant pterodactyl would be a legitimate entry, too. Creatvity is the most subjective criteria of the three.
    Disqualifications - Any dimension that is not made public by the deadline will be disqualified unless the owner makes arrangements with me ahead of time. Some wonderful dimensions with animal morphs are already out there now. All forms of copying will result in immediate disqualification.

My Contest Goals:
    Of course I want everybody who enters to have fun! I love morphing and I hope this contest will focus the spotlight on some great new morphs, and if some new interest in morphing is generated ... fantastic! While it is not a requirement, I sincerely hope a large number of morphers will upload their animal morphs to DimensionAddicts.com!
    Thank you to Nouvae for allowing me to use her wonderful set sharing idea from her recent Fountains contest! Thank you to Kitasia for giving me her blessing on encouraging morphers to add some new animal morphs to the DA shared set database!

Questions:
    All contest information, entries, and questions should be posted here. If you need to make special arrangements regarding the deadline, please send me a PM on these forums. This is a player sponsored contest and I am the sole sponsor. Any issues should be directed to me in a PM on these forums. Thanks.

Good luck to everyone who enters! Let the morphing begin!

My wacky weird (and mostly old) dimensions are tagged (diva) on Wolfsbane, Zaviel,
    Brutwacht, and Gelidra. I love to visit dimensions, so please invite me to see yours!

Shadowlander

That's a great idea. It's a hard choice....i have really no idea...i have to sleep about it.^^
    Raluar - Brutwacht (EU)
    Schurkenhain, New Ellensford, Vineta, Paradise Valley, Cabin in the Woods, The same procedure as last year?, Lovely Cottage, Sanctuary of the Sacred
    “Our heads are round so that thoughts can change direction - Francis Picabia”

General of Telara

So no Aliens, Cosmic beings of power or Ancient embodiments of enigmatic entities? Hmm, maybe I can pull out a dog or cat somehow.

Ohhh a critter contest from the queen of critters. Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Kitasia View Post
    Ohhh a critter contest from the queen of critters. Awesome
    Thank you, Kit, but I'm definitely not the Queen of Critters! There are more talented animal morphers than me! Morphers who created entire zoos full of critters long before I spent forever on my first animal morph, an 8-item bunny!

But I do love morphing and I have my fingers crossed that long-time and new Dimensionerds will enter this contest!

Sincerely,
    The Queen of Peekaboo Flashers (so far!)

My wacky weird (and mostly old) dimensions are tagged (diva) on Wolfsbane, Zaviel,
    Brutwacht, and Gelidra. I love to visit dimensions, so please invite me to see yours!

Great contest idea Diva! Can't wait to see what amazing animal morphs people come up with
    Dimensions on Gelidra EU: Horror House -The Crypt - Blossom Hill - What the Hell...? - Echo Falls - This is Battery Acid, You Slime! - A Beautifully Decorated What..?! - Bad Santa - Bates Motel - Christine - Butcher Bob's II - The Remake
    NEW!
    Mountain View

Quote Originally Posted by DimensionDiva View Post
    Sincerely,
    The Queen of Peekaboo Flashers (so far!)
    Lol! You are definitely the Queen of the Peekaboo Flashers!!
    Dimensions on Gelidra EU: Horror House -The Crypt - Blossom Hill - What the Hell...? - Echo Falls - This is Battery Acid, You Slime! - A Beautifully Decorated What..?! - Bad Santa - Bates Motel - Christine - Butcher Bob's II - The Remake
    NEW!
    Mountain View

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Fantastic contest idea! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

so, just to clarify about fictional animals...
    I a person wanted to re-create one of the many awesome animals from a movie like Avatar, would that be ok?

Awesome contest, can't wait to be blown away by all the amazing creations that people will build!

Questions.
    *You say one or more animals - so can I make a few different ones in one place (like in the zoo)?
    *What about stuff like faun/satyr, minotaur, sphinx, centaur... I guess they count as humanoid so not allowed?
    *Since your deadline is Sunday morning, is it okay to open the night before, in case I don't wake up in time ?

Ahahahahahaha Peekaboo Flashers... yup, you are certainly queen of those!

Awesome contest idea. Can't wait to see what everyone is creating. Maybe I learn a thing or two from all you amazing morphers... because I am horrible at it!

I once tried to create a camel for my Souq Asha dim... don't EVEN ask me about that disaster LOLOL

Wonderful contest idea! I can't wait to see all the entries, sounds like a lot of fun Diva!

I am glad people think this sounds like a fun contest. I have been very nervous about your reactions. Thank you for embracing it so kindly. I am looking forward to seeing the morphs that people create. Good luck!

For the purposes of this contest, my definition of "animal" is based partly on the definition at Dictionary.com: (1) any member of the kingdom Animalia, and (2) any living thing other than a human being, Morphed real animals should meet both parts of this definition. Morphed fictional animals should meet the second part of this definition. In other words, any critter (real or fictional) with humanoid features would not meet the definition of "animal" for this contest.

Here are answers to a few specific questions. Thank you for asking them!

Quote Originally Posted by swordkata View Post
    So no Aliens, Cosmic beings of power or Ancient embodiments of enigmatic entities? Hmm, maybe I can pull out a dog or cat somehow.
    I love the idea of morphed aliens and powerful cosmic beings, but that will have to wait for a future contest! I would love to see morphed dogs and/or morphed cats!

Quote Originally Posted by Zillaan View Post
    so, just to clarify about fictional animals...
    I a person wanted to re-create one of the many awesome animals from a movie like Avatar, would that be ok?
    If your morphed animal(s) are based on Pandora critters with no humanoid characteristics, that's fine. Of course, the Na'vi are a humanoid race so they would not meet the definition of "animal" for this contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyler View Post
    Questions.
    *You say one or more animals - so can I make a few different ones in one place (like in the zoo)?
    *What about stuff like faun/satyr, minotaur, sphinx, centaur... I guess they count as humanoid so not allowed?
    *Since your deadline is Sunday morning, is it okay to open the night before, in case I don't wake up in time ?
    1. You can absolutely morph more than one animal! Either multiples of one kind or a variety, whichever goes best with your theme. The judges will examine each animal morph separately but all morphs will be judged as a group. This means there is a slightly higher level of difficulty for themes with multiple animal morphs.

2. The humanoid features of human/horse/goat satyrs, human/bull minotaurs, human/lion sphinx, and human/horse centaurs don't meet the definition of "animal" for this contest (that would be a cool contest though!).

3. It's fine to open your dimension the night before. My primary goals with the deadline are (a) for all dimensions to be open by the deadline AND (b) for dimensions not to be open a long time in advance, since the judges tour regularly and we don't want to accidentally enter a contest dimension the week before judging. So, a few hours early is totally fine (and a few hours late would not be fine!). Enjoy your Sunday morning snorefest, Seyler!

Thank you, everybody, for the great questions! Keep 'em coming!

Rift Disciple

Great idea for a contest, I have just started getting into dimensions but I will see what I can come up with. Good luck all

Quote Originally Posted by Vaxaell Savage View Post
    Great idea for a contest, I have just started getting into dimensions but I will see what I can come up with. Good luck all
    Great! Welcome to the wacky and wonderful world of dimensions!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast