• 4 Post By swordkata
  • 2 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By Nouvae
  • 4 Post By Zillaan
  • 3 Post By Ailene

Thread: Terrain paint

General of Telara

Default Terrain paint

I recently leveled myself this week in my Dream weaving to grandmaster. Although, I've bought and used the terrain paints from AH, it was nice to make my own. I went experimenting with some of them, and found if you place them on certain items, it will change those items.

I really wish there were another version of the terrain paint to cover items though.

It would also be nice to be able to create different types of terrain paint. A few came to mind: Leaves, rust, bubbles, mist, vines.

I hope they add more choices in the future for these.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

I love the terrain paints, so yummy to see underwater finally make it to live which is my fave.

Others are hoping for dyes but I see terrain paints as the equivalent so more choices would be delish and a smaller scale or absolute shape with a sharp line or curve to use for many different things.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 11-18-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swordkata View Post
    I recently leveled myself this week in my Dream weaving to grandmaster. Although, I've bought and used the terrain paints from AH, it was nice to make my own. I went experimenting with some of them, and found if you place them on certain items, it will change those items.

I really wish there were another version of the terrain paint to cover items though.

It would also be nice to be able to create different types of terrain paint. A few came to mind: Leaves, rust, bubbles, mist, vines.

I hope they add more choices in the future for these.
    Great ideas!

Soulwalker

Thumbs up!

i like the CONCEPT of terrain paints, but i find them almost impossible to use in practice. They are far to unpredictable in what they will paint and where. If they would truly only paint "terrain", i would use them a lot, but since they also paint building blocks, it kinda limits their uses for me. Especially since they splatter up walls and such, looking horrible. It would also be more useful if they would only paint down, like some of the new VFX.
    Personally - i think the terrain paints, and perhaps the entire Dreamweaving crafting needs an overhaul. I would like to see more effects like falling leaves, blinking lights, fog, butterflies, light beams, tree shadows, etc... There are currently far too many items that are just lights, and not enough things i would call "the stuff of dreams". I do love the water effects, but some additional horizontal effects would be nice. Also, a water effect that is like the Terrace Pond, with out the edges would be something I would use a lot.
    Don't get me wrong, i think some of the new VFX from 3.0 are very nice, just some of them have very specific uses.
    Unfortunately, for me, Dreamweaving is currently a very boring craft. I very rarely make things after leveling, because through no fault of Trion, the stuff is far cheaper to buy on the AH than make. Maybe this is a temporary thing, with so many people leveling DW, combined with readily available artifacts during Autumn Harvest.

Quote Originally Posted by Zillaan View Post
    i like the CONCEPT of terrain paints, but i find them almost impossible to use in practice. They are far to unpredictable in what they will paint and where. If they would truly only paint "terrain", i would use them a lot, but since they also paint building blocks, it kinda limits their uses for me. Especially since they splatter up walls and such, looking horrible. It would also be more useful if they would only paint down, like some of the new VFX.
    Personally - i think the terrain paints, and perhaps the entire Dreamweaving crafting needs an overhaul. I would like to see more effects like falling leaves, blinking lights, fog, butterflies, light beams, tree shadows, etc... There are currently far too many items that are just lights, and not enough things i would call "the stuff of dreams". I do love the water effects, but some additional horizontal effects would be nice. Also, a water effect that is like the Terrace Pond, with out the edges would be something I would use a lot.
    Don't get me wrong, i think some of the new VFX from 3.0 are very nice, just some of them have very specific uses.
    Unfortunately, for me, Dreamweaving is currently a very boring craft. I very rarely make things after leveling, because through no fault of Trion, the stuff is far cheaper to buy on the AH than make. Maybe this is a temporary thing, with so many people leveling DW, combined with readily available artifacts during Autumn Harvest.
    Agree especially about your water ideas. And actually, the crafted DW bits are always cheaper on the AH than to make. Better just to sell the ribbons you'd use to make lights etc. and buy the lights. Money ahead....
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Rift Disciple

I remember reading somewhere it takes 3 pieces to make a waterfall. The pool, the curtain and the top piece that makes the transition from horizontal flow to vertical. ATM we can only do 2 of the 3. So add that... and horizontal streams.

I use the terrain paints to help cover stone tiles when I platform. But I like the idea of only painting down... (and for a limited distance...)

Near the top of the list (right after the finished wood family) would be things like sheep and other animals that are fro the most part static but graze or move slightly.. Villager NPCs would be a double blessing (someone washing clothes, a guy hoeing the field someone fishing. No real motion other than the work they do..

Speaking of terrain paint how about one to look like a tilled field (and no, it shouldn't have ragged edges...)
    Active Dimensions on Greybriar:
    Castle Wyndfall Trilogy: Castle Wyndfall, Castle Wyndfall Siege, Neoga's Wyndfalls
    Neoga: Neoga's Wyndfalls, Neoga's Retreat, Neoga's Merry Christmas Dream
    Wyndfort: Castle Wyndfall
    Kerez: Royal Palace of Gödöllo, Castle Wyndfall Siege

Quote Originally Posted by Neoga Wynd View Post

Speaking of terrain paint how about one to look like a tilled field (and no, it shouldn't have ragged edges...)
    Oh yes! I've been wanting that for the entire time I've played Rift - still having to mutz around with the underside of fire rift rocks for simple things like a pumpkin patch....
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Speaking of terrain paint.... I'd love to see some snow.

Plane Touched

Default Hate terrain paint

Why?

You cant paint what you want to paint.... You cant change the size you want to paint... Anything you put down on the terrain gets painted... AKA building blocks get painted.

I wish you could resize, or have some ability to make it not pain certain building blocks.

Say basic building blocks get painted, but marble, brick, flooring don't. Or even when you put the paint down first things you put on it wont get painted. Or vise versa you put paint on items placed.

Its to much of a pain to figure out what get painted and what doesn't so I don't use it, and I think is stinks.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Ariwen View Post
    Why?

You cant paint what you want to paint.... You cant change the size you want to paint... Anything you put down on the terrain gets painted... AKA building blocks get painted.

I wish you could resize, or have some ability to make it not pain certain building blocks.

Say basic building blocks get painted, but marble, brick, flooring don't. Or even when you put the paint down first things you put on it wont get painted. Or vise versa you put paint on items placed.

Its to much of a pain to figure out what get painted and what doesn't so I don't use it, and I think is stinks.
    It takes a few minutes to figure out what it works on or doesn't, along the way it's also nice to discover other items like rocks that it also works on noting that it seems to be a textural thing (surfaces that are painted using similar projections). I also appreciate it doesn't go on everything making otherwise predictable walls or floors more pleasing.

There is other posts floating on this forum section with helpful info that may help.

Patience isn't a virtue its a time & sanity saver in the long run and yes resizing and sharper lines/different shapes would be awemazing!
    Last edited by Kiwi; 11-25-2014 at 08:52 AM.

General of Telara

With this, I'm entitled to agree with Ariwen. It would be nice to be able to choose what gets painted and what doesn't. Some of the stock dimension ground/floors don't paint, so I have to add tiles, which Frustrate me because I liked the stock flooring, or now I have to adjust the height for everything placed around added tiles. Just add a feature to paint everything or a select part would work wonders.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by swordkata View Post
    With this, I'm entitled to agree with Ariwen. It would be nice to be able to choose what gets painted and what doesn't. Some of the stock dimension ground/floors don't paint, so I have to add tiles, which Frustrate me because I liked the stock flooring, or now I have to adjust the height for everything placed around added tiles. Just add a feature to paint everything or a select part would work wonders.
    The terrain paints we are using are the same thing that happens when a rift appear so it covers what's around it, there is very minimal "adding" of anything or such a thing as "just" when every item we have is in the game. I can understand the frustration having been there also I think my login into Rift mantra is "Remember Dimensions weren't in the original game plan BREATHE" lol it reminds me to have fun finding ways to work around things.

Rift Disciple

Snow terrain pain should be an easy one for them, we have sand terrain paint just turn it white..
    Active Dimensions on Greybriar:
    Castle Wyndfall Trilogy: Castle Wyndfall, Castle Wyndfall Siege, Neoga's Wyndfalls
    Neoga: Neoga's Wyndfalls, Neoga's Retreat, Neoga's Merry Christmas Dream
    Wyndfort: Castle Wyndfall
    Kerez: Royal Palace of Gödöllo, Castle Wyndfall Siege

+ Reply to Thread