• 2 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By Neoga Wynd
  • 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By kalamona

Thread: [IDEA] Dimensions as questing places

Soulwalker

Default [IDEA] Dimensions as questing places

Hey,
    This post is a general idea about dimensions, how to make them a more integral part of the game.

The idea in short:

Dimensions have a lot of potential, so it should be possible to turn them into quest areas (if the dimension owner wants it, of course).

What, why?

The biggest problem I see that since dimensions don't give ingame bonuses (or just very subtle ones), a lot of people are simply not interested doing anything with them. This is a big waste of creativity: if you made a great-looking dimension, only fellow roleplayers and dimension fans will see it, instead of, you know, everyone.

My basic idea that if the dimension owner wants to turn his dimension into a questing area, he can do so. Think about it like a miniature chronicle, with 2-3 kill or gathering quests. Now I imagine that whoever reading is already shaking his head, and thinking this is impossible or just exploitable like hell, but let me finish

A lot of games have player-made content, including Trions' Trove. But what I am thinking about is City of Heroes' Mission Architect. I didn't played Star Trek, but if I am not mistaken, that has a similar mission creator tool. So this is definitely not something no one has ever done before.

How I imagine it would work:

Creating the dimension that will be played:

The dimensions would need some extra items, namely Monsters (these can be placed down, don't attack the player who is building the dimension), Pickupables (these can be some regular items with shiny aura around them), and Areas. These are essential for being able to make basic missions.

Rift would also need some mission creator surface. Kill, gather, and "reach area" missions are easy to create, they are clear to everyone and easy to check if they are done; with time (if the whole idea is successful) more can be added. Missions also need text, that is fit in the lore.

After the creator thinks he is done with an interesting area and a few quests, he can submit its creation (more about that later).
    Playing the created mission:

Players can enter to "solo dimensions" similarly to Chronicles or Instant Adventures. They enter a random dimension (so they don't just learn one and run it 100 times).

The missions would be given to the player upon entering the dimension. If the player(s) successfully do all the quests, a bit bigger reward is what they get (generally doing these should be similar to an Instant Adventure in reward/time).
    The good side:

Obviously it would be great to the player whose dimension is played: more people see its creation. Also more housing pieces to hunt. Want to make a mission where you kill unicorns in a meadow? You will need 10 Unicorn Monster Spawners

It is good for a lot of players, solo or duo: Chronices are all right, but theres only a few types. This would be a nice addition to that, a bit more like Instant Adventures, but without the AFK/fishing mob

Also it would be good for Trion: it is basically "free" regular new content. They don't have to pay level designers, only QA who make sure that the dimension is not broken or exploitable. Also it is an unique marketing point, as not many games have user-generated content.

Possible problems:

Obviously the whole system has to be developed.
    This takes programming time and resources. Not sure about Rift and Trion in general, if they can allow this.
    The submissions need to be moderated

This is MANDATORY. Else half of the missions will be about picking up 8 flowers in front of you for easy XP. This was the case in CoH, and it was just plain stupid.

If a player creates a quest-dimension, he cannot just make it available for everyone, there needs to be a submission procedure, where some QA people from Trion have a look on it. Sloppy mission descriptions or against-the-lore stuff would be rejected, just as very hard or very easy quests. Dimensions with no additional items are a big no-no. I know it is subjective, but moderation is still a LOT better that "anything goes".

Moderating requires staff, the more submissions, the more staff is needed. We can reduce the number of submissions by allowing only 1 submission per week, or by asking a "submission price" (250 plats or 200 gems so), that is not too much but people won't just spend it "for teh lulz".

When rejecting a submission, it should always be very clear why is that. Also I can imagine that if a submission is accepted, the player gets some credits.
    PVP Dimensions:

As far as I know, that was kind of a fail, so that is not a good sign for "adding game elements into dimensions".

But I suspect that people who like to do area PvP and people who spend hundreds of hours building their dimensions aren't exactly the same people (search for Killers, Achievers, Socializers and Explorers) I think that a more peaceful and ambient "questing" component is more likely to be successful.
    I like the idea, what to do?
    Like the post, comment, share, if you know a Trion dev, make him say something about this.

TL;DR
    Dimensions have a lot of potential, so it should be possible to turn them into quest areas. Other games have similar stuff, its good for everyone, moderation can prevent exploits.

Rift Disciple

I have been asking myself lately which one is the game, Dimming or Rifting (and ofc the answer depends on who you ask.) I know many of us play Rift as a means to support our Dimensioning habit. This would blur the line even more. I love it. A LOT of work, for Trion/Rift and a lot of work for a dimensioneer that signs up for it (I think they would need to apply / register to get the special items needed). If it could be made to work everyone could win (even the PvPers...) But it would be nice to have access to two adjoining dims like Moonshadepools/Three Springs and access them as one in this scenario.
    Active Dimensions on Greybriar:
    Castle Wyndfall Trilogy: Castle Wyndfall, Castle Wyndfall Siege, Neoga's Wyndfalls
    Neoga: Neoga's Wyndfalls, Neoga's Retreat, Neoga's Merry Christmas Dream
    Wyndfort: Castle Wyndfall
    Kerez: Royal Palace of Gödöllo, Castle Wyndfall Siege

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Hi.

It might be kind of noticeable that I am very vocal when it comes to new ideas, interactive dimensions etc. For those new to Dimensions I am perhaps the most tried and tested Dimensioneer but definitely not the best builder or anything by all means. Testing, trying and understanding how our Dimensions work technically is just something I've grown to love more than actually building. I have had the pleasure of testing Dimensions themselves, new items, add on development, guides in pdf, written and video and alpha as well as pts testing. Enough about me but just to give background so you understand this kind of talk makes my toes curl in excitement it is not criticism but brainstorming.

My response (which is only my opinion and means nothing in the large scheme of things) is that I cannot see this kind of thing being successful under current stress Dimensions are already in as well as the format Dimensions are developed (Taken from the content live in Telara.) An overhaul like you have already said would indeed need to take place which might be doable but changes Telara and Dimensions all together from design to lore not just technical.

There are also a lot of steps in between that would have to occur like invites, searching dimensions etc as well as designating resources and staff to maintain numerous dungeons that may only get used once a month on every shard.

If we compare dungeon making to say Trove (Trove goes live this Tuesday btw in case you want to try dungeon making in there) resources are limited but very use-able. PvP Dimension items can create damage, death, traps etc but I actually rarely see them used for anything but PvP Dimensions so I'm curious if we would have far too many items to make a successful dungeon as well as the NPCs themselves OR builders are a different kind of artist in Rift compared to map making etc

Current Dimension NPCs spawn from a main object and are barely interact-able. As repeated throughout the months we have rendering issues dependent on the object (lights, vfx, yellow items) and draw/distance. I have to keep reminding myself Dimensions weren't in the original planning of Rift which is something I'm sure Trion wishes was different.

So in a nutshell with Chronicles available for solo players as well scale-able world content, shard hopping and all the things Rift has to offer I cannot see an interest vs content vs ability vs resources plan making any sense BUT madder things have happened lol

Anyway that's my uneducated response which would love to see more inter-actable , used and crowded Dimensions for awesome reasons as much as you and I'm sure everybody.

On another note being in ArcheAge that does have inter-actable items and you can grow things on your land etc all of it is very generic, there is no artistry to the homes there at all. If I think of Wildstar uniqueness is also very limited and then Landmark. So much creativity but inter-active plots are also limited. Creativity is the pay off it seems to build interactive spaces.

Nice reading your thoughts.

Very cool idea. An offshoot idea - Dimension Achieves related to some sort of themed scavenger hunt, perhaps seasonal / attached to world events.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    ... I am perhaps the most tried and tested Dimensioneer ...
    I suspected as much... though I am the most tired and testy.. (sorry for the off topic I couldnt resist...)
    Active Dimensions on Greybriar:
    Castle Wyndfall Trilogy: Castle Wyndfall, Castle Wyndfall Siege, Neoga's Wyndfalls
    Neoga: Neoga's Wyndfalls, Neoga's Retreat, Neoga's Merry Christmas Dream
    Wyndfort: Castle Wyndfall
    Kerez: Royal Palace of Gödöllo, Castle Wyndfall Siege

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Neoga Wynd View Post
    I suspected as much... though I am the most tired and testy.. (sorry for the off topic I couldnt resist...)
    Lol I couldn't resist laughing irl and since Syveren bought it up it would be great to see more Dimension Achievements added please and thank you!

(Old ideas posted here eons ago to add to Syverens great idea)

Soulwalker

Hey,
    Just wanted to say, thanks for the replies It is always useful to see how others see this idea.

+ Reply to Thread