+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Shingy
  • 1 Post By some1232
  • 4 Post By Foxfire
  • 1 Post By Agrona77

Thread: My First (incomplete) dimension: Erebor (Warning: Lots of pictures)

Default My First (incomplete) dimension: Erebor (Warning: Lots of pictures)

Well, a fellow dimension-er recommended I jump onto the forums and not only share my dim so others can see it and (and please, come visit), but to also get critiques and advice. So, with that said, I'm Shingy and this is my first dimension.

I got Harrow Crypt during the Autumn Harvest period (currently still ongoing) and it was the first dim I've had with the exception of the starter dimension. I had been to a couple of other Crypts and just didn't like what I personally saw (no knock on ANYONEs creation meant there) and I decided to build my own. All of this was built by my hand and eye, as I don't use any add-ons. I did however have some help with some of that from a friend who you will see in the pictures. She designed two specific areas: The bank sign and the kitchen appliances.

Theme: Drawven/Human city hybrid (Erebor is the "Lonely Mountain" in Lord of the Rings). I wanted both levels of the cave to be a small city. As of now, there are only 4 buildings. 3 were built by me and 1 is a Round Mausoleum. I'm currently only at 600 space because the upgrade from 600 to 1200 is 2,400 plat. (yes, you read that correctly). If you like what you see, donations are welcome.

Ive also purposely built many of the buildings onto the walls themselves, to give the appearance that they were crafted out of the stone and earth of the walls, and some of it shows inside the buildings. I personally find it aesthetically pleasing.

Lets start with the pictures shall we? Because this post will be so long, I'm leaving out the church. It is basically stock.

Entrance:

The entrance is a tad bland, but, I'm currently tied for space.

Cave Entrance:

After you go down all the stairs and round all the corners, the first the you (should) see is my cave ceiling design. It is only 3 pieces but really pops and I think will be a great centerpiece once the entire town is completed.

Cave Entrance, 2nd level:

From the top of the stairway looking down you can see the massive Keep of Erebor. This is my home and throne room. To the left you can make out just a bit of the Mausoleum.

Bank from Stairwell:

It is still a tad empty, but at this point I'm doing everything I can to save space

Inside of bank:

Tavern:

A good city must have a good tavern. Here is the first building I ever made. It is a two story tavern with the ale at the bottom and a "party room" and tables up top.

2nd floor Tavern:

Mausoleum:

Front doors to keep:

The goal of the front of the keep was to not only eat up space, but to really pop on the viewer and "drawf" (pun intended" your toon as you approached the massive double doors entering the great hall.

Great hall: floor

When you walk in, you're met by brightness. This isn't a dimly lit cave, this is an elaborate palace built with the finest marble and stone. From the front door you can look down all the way to the actual (unfinished) throne-room.

Great hall: ceiling

Maybe my favorite part of the whole dim is the Great Hall I have built. It keeps the grandeur an size of the front entrance and the ceiling design incorporates the beauty of the marble and the power of the Drawven magic and skill.

Armory, 2nd floor:

If you go up the stairs to your left in the Great Hall, you'll enter into the armory. What keep is any good if there are no weapons to defend it?

Dining Room:

Up the stairs to the right of Great Hall is the dining room. It is pretty bare and unfinished, but atleast there is somewhere to sit.

Kitchen:

Below the dining room is the kitchen. Still a work in progress, as I haven't built the piping needed to properly vent the smoke from the oven, but, it is gorgeous and beautifully done none the less. This was all done by Nim. I take 0 credit for this room.

Hallway/stairwell to guest bedroom:

Guest bedroom:

Yes, that is a table flipped on it's side as the wall piece. I chose that as the center because it flowed well with the vines already coming into the room, and it helped bring the marble "down a bit". The fireplace is the first I've ever built, so please go easy on me lol. This is the only "finished" bed room.

Bath-house entrance and room (unfinished):

One of the many incomplete rooms due to size problems.

Throne-Hallway:

Beautiful marble mixed with the hard stone and earth of the floor and opposite wall. Can you imagine lighting is a problem here?

Master Bedroom:

Unfinished. I'd like to have some book cases and the like in here. Obviously not much to it. The "royal" part of the keep.

Living/Lounge room of the King:

Also unfinished, but, there you go

Throne-room:

It is a heavy burden, being king, but thank the vigil that they bless us and guide us.

Throne-hall from chair:

Lastly, Storage:

Well, thats all the pictures for now everyone. I welcome all comments/critiques/visits, and yes, I'm not afraid to ask for donations as that plat cost is ridiculous (i'm only lvl 53 lol). Can't wait to meet more Dim people (lol).

First off, let me just say that I am a huge Tolkien fan and I absolutely adore his dwarf lore (yes, I am a Rift dwarf) so I love anything related to Tolkien or dwarves. I have often thought of taking on Erebor as a build a few times, but i always saw it to be a bit out of reach for me.

That being said, fantastic work on your first dimension! It definitely has that dwarf feel to it and at any moment I could run into Thorin or Gimmli! The Harrow's Crypt was a great choice for the great dwarven city. I especially like your tavern!

I recently ran into the upgrade from T4 to T5 situation myself in Kestral's Cry Ravine. Depending on which server you're on it's about 900 plat cheaper to buy a REX from a player and upgrade using credits.

Again, great job on your first dimension. I hope we see more from you in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by some1232 View Post
    First off, let me just say that I am a huge Tolkien fan and I absolutely adore his dwarf lore (yes, I am a Rift dwarf) so I love anything related to Tolkien or dwarves. I have often thought of taking on Erebor as a build a few times, but i always saw it to be a bit out of reach for me.

That being said, fantastic work on your first dimension! It definitely has that dwarf feel to it and at any moment I could run into Thorin or Gimmli! The Harrow's Crypt was a great choice for the great dwarven city. I especially like your tavern!

I recently ran into the upgrade from T4 to T5 situation myself in Kestral's Cry Ravine. Depending on which server you're on it's about 900 plat cheaper to buy a REX from a player and upgrade using credits.

Again, great job on your first dimension. I hope we see more from you in the future!
    Thanks! I def like the theme of Erebor, because in the books and lore there was a lot of interactions/tie-ins with humans (Dale). SO it allowed me to mesh the two.

I'm on the Laethys shard, and REX cost about 1200P. I have never had more than 300 lol. I'm currently on Upgrade 4, trying to save up for Upgrade 5. (the 2,400 plat was talking about).

I might start another dim while I save up. I looked around here on the forums and there are some extremely skilled people on here! Thanks for the love! Come visit me sometime , I love the help lol

General of Telara

Hey Shingy, glad you took my suggestion and posted on these forums. Your dim looks better each day, real good job on the fireplace. The pictures show so much more as well. Glad to have you here.

Black and green marble looks good down there. Made a good start,..some nice and interesting ideas. LIke the bank...how they are part of the rocks etc. Deffo capturing the mood of an underground Dwarven city....can't wait to see how it progresses.

As for Plat lol, you're finding out this is not a cheap hobby. Many of buy rex to feed this hobby, failing that, quest, quest, quest, run dungeons, WF's etc....never have enough plat when it comes to dim building.
    Dimensions on Zaviel:

Very nice dimension you have going there, with some really interesting ideas

Just don't be disappointed if free plat doesn't come flowing your way....it doesn't mean we don't like your work...not at all. But as Ualani pointed out, it's not a cheap hobby, so we are all in the same boat. You really are going to have to get out there in the game world and find a way that is good for you to make plat. Buying with credits is often cheaper, so it really is a good idea to use plat to buy REX whenever you can. Right now though, there are so many bargains on the AH, you can find things extremely cheap. Not sure how long that will last, but for now plat isn't nearly as much of a problem as it once was. Also be sure to visit the Take a Penny, Leave a Penny dimension on your shard to look for free items. Then if you have items you don't think you will use, drop them off there for others. Last but not least, train up as many Minions as you can afford, they are definitely worth it!!

Have fun building, and welcome to the addiction!
    Dimensions on Faeblight:
    Gatekeeper's Christmas Cottage, Faerwood Cottage, Sunrise Cottage, Moonglow Cottage (Nym)
    Ozark Mountain Christmas ( Aedrexa)
    Dream Weaver's Palace (Morgeanna)

Welcome to the wonderful and addicting world of dimension!

Pictures look great! What a great idea to build a city down there! I will make sure to stop by for a visit, since I have dimension visitor alts on every shard!

+ Reply to Thread