+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Dimension Storage, Construction Storage (want my credits--read this)

Telaran

Default Dimension Storage, Construction Storage (want my credits--read this)

I've seen a number of posts on this that seem to miss the mark, IMHO.

I have noticed there are more and more construction materials available and while I think that is great it makes maintaining and building dimensions an onerous process.

Players that construct dimensions should have easy access to large quantities and a wide variety of dimension items and I think this is a great opportunity to support players, and charge credits, if done properly.

See detailed description and additional operational parameters below box recipes.

Required components:

Dimension Storage Box (Tier 1 & 2) - contains 50 slots, only accepts items specifically marked "Dimension" (any dimension item, including keys).

Dimension Storage Box (Tier 1):
    Description:
    This is a plain wood box with panels. It derives it's color naturally from the materials used in constructions. It can be dyed (by artificer only during crafting (drop dye in augment)) with any dye but the color variation is minor.
    Artificer Dimension Recipe:
    25 Polished Mahogany Lumber
    6 Wood Panels (artificer, new item)
    5 Bolts of Linen (outfitter)
    2 1-plat fillers (we all know what these are)
    * Artificer skill requirement should be ~120 to 130 for the recipe

Fancy Dimension Storage Box (Tier 2):
    Description:
    This is a fancy, carved box with panels. It can be dyed at any time in the same manner as armor. Color changes are more pronounced.
    25 Laminated Madrosa Lumber
    6 Wood Panels (artificer, new item)
    5 Bolts of Chiffon (outfitter)
    4 1-plat fillers (we all know what these are)
    * Artificer skill requirement should be 350ish

Master's Elaborate Dimension Storage Box (100 slots of storage)
    Description:
    This is a box belonging to a master dimensioneer and it looks it! Can store any item marked "Dimension" (including keys). This box accepts all dyes and its color changed just like armor.
    100 Fused Sarfiber (outfitter)
    12 Lacquered Sarfiber Panels (new artificer recipe; 1 = 2 Fused Sarfiber + 1-p lacquer + optional dye)
    5 bolts of Diaphanous cloth (outfitter)
    5 Fabled Leather
    10 1-plat fillers
    * Artificer skill requirements should be 450

Guild Dimension Storage box (300 slots of storage, suggest 3 tabs)
    Description:
    Beautifully ornate box with interdimensional engineering for massive storage. Can store any item marked "Dimension" (including keys). This box accepts all dyes and can be changed just like armor.
    * May only be used in Guild dimensions
    1000 Fused Sarfiber (outfitter)
    120 Lacquered Sarfiber Panels (new artificer recipe, covered earlier)
    500 bolts of Diaphanous cloth (outfitter)
    500 Fabled Leather
    50 1-plat fillers

How it works:

Construction storage is specific to construction and maintenance phases only--this means the intended use (without charge) is only to store "Dimension" tagged items (including keys) for fast and easy access by designers while the dimension is unshared (or in the case of a guild where a guild dimension is shared with specific individuals only or guild-members-only) during construction.

Boxes, like everything else, can be placed normally as well as in the floor with only the top showing or in a wall with only the side showing for easy access without taking up space.

Pack it up! When a dimension is packed up all materials will 1st try to drop into construction storage. Pre-existing stacks will be supported across multiple boxes to ensure maximum use of construction storage. Overflow will be handled as it is, now. When a dimension is packed up it may only have construction boxes. If there is overflow it will have full construction boxes + the overflow items available as they are, today.

All boxes should have individual access control lists. Access control needs to be specific as well as covering the standard groups (all, guild members, friends) and individuals (allow multiple individual names to be entered so access can be specified by individual PC). Each individual entry should have full options to set access level. This allows guilds and builders to freely collaborate and share resources.

A full box can be easily moved from one dimension to another by simply picking it up and moving it. Notice this means a box can be picked up when it is loaded with dimension items (but not accessed until placed again in a dimension).

Unshared dimension storage is free.

Notice I haven't mentioned credit, yet.

Fee Structure:
    Boxes in unshared dimensions - always free!
    Empty boxes in any inventory slot - always free!
    Boxes (empty for with items) in shared (non-guild) dimensions - fee 20 credits per night
    Guild Boxes (empty or with items) in shared dimensions - fee 5 credits charged to every guild member per night
    Boxes with contents in inventory - fee 20 credits per night (after 2nd night)
    Guild boxes with contents in inventory - fee 40 credits per night (after 2nd night)
    Pre-purchase options should be offred for these types of storage at a discount.
    . suggest monthly standard-inventory fee of 150 credits when pre-purchased
    . guild-inventory? Maybe this should just default as described, below.

Boxes with contents kept in an inventory slot (character or bank) for more than one night generate a nightly fee of 20 credits (guild boxes - 40 credits) after the 2nd night. Credit to be charged on the rollover of the 2nd night (when dailies refresh--for the 2nd time). This timing allows everyone to easily avoid charges as it gives more than 24 hours and makes it easy to drop and pick-up boxes for construction purposes.

Warnings:
    * A warning is displayed when a box is picked up with contents. The warning states "Warning: You have just looted a box with contents. If you keep this on your character or in your bank for 2 nights you will be charged 20 credits."
    * A warning is displayed when you log in to a character that has a box in inventory that has contents: "Warning: You have a construction box in your inventory with contents and will be charged credit unless it is placed in a dimension."
    * Boxes with items will flash red in inventory (like gear that cannot be equipped) to allow for easy identification. Any box in inventory that is empty will appear normal.

A shared (non-guild) dimension with construction storage generates a nightly fee of 20 credits.

Guild storage left in a shared Guild dimension generates a nightly fee of 5 credits charged to each guild member, every guild member. Important: I don't know how guild dimensions work--this fee only works if it allows for no-fee when the guild dimension is accessible by guild members only and the fee is charged if the guild dimension is opened for non-guild-members to access or if guilds can have multiple dimensions (i.e. an unshared guild dimension to keep guild storage without charge).

Purchase advance construction storage credit from the Rift store! 1 month for 150 credits.

If you need free storage buy another dimension slot, don't share it, keep your boxes there after you're done with construction in your shared dimensions.

Note, this process allows for carrying boxes to a shared dimension for purposes of updating with the requirement that the boxes be removed to avoid credit fees.

Wishlist: Would it be difficult to allow boxes to be named (for mouse-over) to allow designation of boxes for easy identification of box contents through designated name entered by the owner (or PC with owner priviledges)?

__________________________________________________ ____

Regular Storage: I would also propose a similar set of boxes for standard storage--that can hold any item. Recipes would be similar but varied from the above as the end result would be permanent storage.

Permanent Storage:
    For permanent storage boxes I would suggest a one-time credit fee similar to the bank fee for adding a bank tab. The fee is paid per specific box. Once the fee is paid for a place for a given box-type it can be left indefinitely or picked up and the same box or another box of the same type can be placed. This means the fee is to hold the slot and allows for boxes to be moved and replaced. Additional slots/boxes/box-types must be individually purchased.

If everyone likes the Dimension Construction Storage ideas, above, I'll take the time to write out my permanent storage suggestion.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Well thought out and constructive. I think about storage in Dimensions and considering the rendering and lag issues we have without them I tend to consider having another NPC next to the Guild Bank NPC more helpful not only to not take any bandwidth/rendering resource from a Dimension but for others to find it easier that you might be allowed to share it with.

Cheers for taking the time.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Well thought out and constructive.
    If all feedback is this supportive I'll post my "Part-2" thoughts on regular storage, which IMHO should also be added.

If I can just get the attention of the developers--and I'm sure "likes" and positive feedback will help.

Thanks you very much!

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ThePowerTool View Post
    If all feedback is this supportive I'll post my "Part-2" thoughts on regular storage, which IMHO should also be added.

If I can just get the attention of the developers--and I'm sure "likes" and positive feedback will help.

Thanks you very much!
    They are always reading, in case no response is given never let this deter you.

Rift Disciple

Guild Boxes (empty or with items) in shared dimensions - fee 5 credits charged to every guild member per night
    I like this idea, however, the part I quoted and underlined I do NOT like. There are a few problems with this:
    Not all players - even those in guilds - have credits. There is no current way to see a members credit balance - and there should never be a way to - so this would only be useful in an alt-guild where one person is every member.

Also, how would you suggest they handle a guild with 30 members - but only 5 accounts? It couldn't be handled via guild ranks, as people would simply rearrange their ranks to have no one except the guild leader above X rank.

The other problem that could arise is griefing. Even were those 5 credits per night only taken from members with certain access levels to a dimension, it would be to easy for someone to give another player that access only for the period of time that the system would charge the members, then remove access. While this may not happen often, its a very real possibility that it would happen - as a person who has been in several high end raiding guilds across multiple games, I have seen conflicts of personality happen that cause members of a guild to do everything they can to make another members time in a guild miserable. I've seen this happen in so-called "drama free, family guilds", too .

On top of that, I am rather against a nightly credit charge for anything, anyway. I would be more for a hefty platinum charge, and in the case of the above, one taken from guild funds and not on a member by member basis. The "Advanced Storage" credit option is a nice idea, but only in conjunction with a platinum based charge. As it stands, with a nightly credit fee, Trion would make so much more in terms of credit drain from a 5 credit per member charge that this service would end up needing to be priced somewhere around 1000 credits for it to even be viable for them.

This, by the way, is meant to be constructive. My brother is reading over my shoulder as I type and telling me its not, but it is meant to be, if it as taken as not, my apologies. I am looking forward to, and hoping you post, part two of your suggestion.
    Imri <Evolution> Defiant Mage Greybriar
    Dimension(s):
    Hermits Hollow on Greybriar
    Serene Villa on Greybriar

Telaran

You bring up a good point.

What about a few qualifiers to catch potential problems? Here is a list. I do not intend it to be comprehensive but the start of a list:

1. When joining a guild you are notified the guild uses guild storage and shown costs over the past year. You can opt-out.
    2. If a guild initiates guild storage all guild members receive a message that gulid storage has been added by name (PC name) and position (GL, Exec., etc).

Another important point--note that all charges only accrue after the 2nd night.
    . That day all guild members could receive a warning (with a checkbox to disable or disable for a user specified period of time).
    . Guild members can leave the guild.

Finally--I didn't add plat but there are several options:
    . Guild members could be required to maintain credits
    . Fees could optionally be converted to plat (e.g. 2p per credit)

A few points regarding guild members being charged:
    Many guilds are free to join.
    Many guilds have mandatory events
    Some guilds charge per month for membership
    - in-game currency--I've never heard of a guild that charged real cash for membership (unless it was separately handled via a web-site)

I think fees can be reasonable and acceptable to most. I am confident some will not be happy with any change.

I like the idea about storage boxes. Here are a few of my thoughts, after reading your post.

I'm not a programer, by far lol but I wonder how this can be coded so that the stored items in the box do not count towards the total dimension item count. Or will it? Not clear on that point.

The recipes take a lot of mats, plus the credit/plat mats, and then we have to spend 20 credits per night? On what exactly? Not sure on that point either and I certain would never spend 20 credits PER NIGHT on any dim storage. I rather make more alts and give them all a warehouse dimension.

I really love Kiwi's suggestion, to add a Dimension bank NPC to the game. Would be far simpler, I would think.

Well laid out post though, and you do have some good ideas. Maybe some of the storage box ideas can be refined, but without any nightly charges... ;)

As for the Guild suggestions... this will never fly, sorry. I have never been in a guild that had a membership fee. And you suggest people just leave a guild because of storage fees? 99% of my guild does not mess with dimensions and therefore do not worry about dimension storage space. You can't mandate a storage fee to appease the wish for storage space by a small group (dimension community), to be applied to everyone.
    Last edited by Agrona77; 11-17-2014 at 05:14 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Agrona77 View Post
    I like the idea about storage boxes. Here are a few of my thoughts, after reading your post.
    Awsome! And your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

I'm not a programer, by far lol but I wonder how this can be coded so that the stored items in the box do not count towards the total dimension item count. Or will it? Not clear on that point.
    My thought: Each box counts as one item against the count. Contents don't register. Here is my mission statement:

Minimal impact for construction storage:
    . free construction storage
    . multiple, large construction storage options
    . largest construction storage is quest-like (somewhat difficult to obtain & expensive in mats).
    . fees only apply once construction is "over" (so move your storage to an unshared dimension)

The reason the recipies are high in materials:
    . These items are not soulbound
    . Construction storage is designed to be moved, re-used, and accessed by more than one PC
    . Reuse is long-term and very predictable
    . Giving away things for free or at low-cost has negative impact on business and customer perception. Trion should know this. I'm not going to address this, within this thread, as it is off-topic.

I rather make more alts and give them all a warehouse dimension.
    Exactly!

As for the Guild suggestions... this will never fly, sorry. I have never been in a guild that had a membership fee. And you suggest people just leave a guild because of storage fees? 99% of my guild does not mess with dimensions and therefore do not worry about dimension storage space. You can't mandate a storage fee to appease the wish for storage space by a small group (dimension community), to be applied to everyone.
    See! You've already broken the code. You never joined a guild that charged. Given your statement why are you worried about this? This only applies if all of the following are true:

1. A guild leader authorizes dimension storage.
    2. A designated person with appropriate level access goes to a guild dimension and shares it
    3. The guild dimension which is shared contains guild storage.
    4. The entire guild is warned with a notice (each login) that guild storage is in the [insert guild dimension name here] dimension which is shared.
    5. The warning notice appears as each guild member logs in for two full days.
    6. After the second night (when dailies reset) the storage is still in the guild dimension

The entire idea is that there is no charge unless there is a real need and to create the perception of value (a concept which is apparently very difficult for Trion to address).

I wrote this as the leader of a guild and knowing that it would be my responsibility to make sure my guild isn't charged.

All this does is ensure that the storage is used in the proper manner. It is massive storage and strictly for construction purposes. If you are worried about the charges then the charges have served their pupose. You can't "drop and forget".

This isn't a concept for people that are casual players. "Casual", by definition, means a player won't take the time to accrue or manage hundreds or thousands of construction items for a sophisticated dimension build.

I do respect your opinion on this and here is my thought (which lines up with my initial post):
    Give guild "settings" a two-option radio-button set (as follows):

_ This guild never uses guild storage
    _ This guild uses (or may use) guild storage
    "Note: 5 days required to change this setting" appears with this option.

Quick aside for those that don't know: Radio buttons are the technical term referencing the interface to a group of options where one, and only one, option must be selected.

Rules and warnings would be:
    . When the option "this guild never uses storage" is selected it is impossible to place guild storage containers in a guild dimension
    . When you are invited to the guild you have to accept the setting.
    . If the guild leader (or designated exec) changes the setting the setting does not toggle until the change has been advertised to all guild members logging in during that 5-day period.
    . after 5 days the setting changes
    . the setting can only be changed from "uses guild storage" to "never uses guild storage" once all guild storage is removed from all guild dimensions (do you get more than one??).
    . If the setting is turned from "uses guild storage" to "never uses storage" then one notice of the change is sent to all guild members.

Finally, as I mentioned in my 1st post, I haven't addressed normal storage. This thread hasn't yet gotten enough attention to warrant my time on developing a plan for normal storage--but it is approaching that point. You have raised (indirectly) something that deserves to be mentioned because it is pertinent.

The following applies only to normal storage containers (which I haven't detailed, per above paragraph):
    Guild Storage: If a guild wants guild storage (vs. guild construction storage) then let them purchase storage for a guild dimension. Costs would be similar to the guild bank cost structure.

Individual Storage: My thought on individual storage--it should work just like the bank (cost for additional storage). You can purchase normal storage (not construction storage) for shared dimensions.

A quick note to those that think this is complex: Look at the mission statement in this post, above. Keep in mind this is simple compared to the coding behind many of the simplest activities found in-game. The UI for this could be very simple and intuitive. I'd love it if this were accepted by development in the community and I could participate in the UI design. I'd be shocked if that happened.

My thought: Each box counts as one item against the count. Contents don't register. Here is my mission statement:
    It is massive storage
    I don't wish to intentionally bash on your ideas and admittedly, well laid and constructive posts but:

There are item limits for a reason. What it sounds like is simply saying...I want more storage space to get around the item limit issues without having to pay 700+ credits or 4k plat. I mean, under your idea, you could use a base dim of 400 item limit...and never pay for any upgrades? (Except for the cost of your boxes).

Unlikely to ever happen. Not even for credits. I know, I'm all bah humbug and what-have-you...but that's the way it seems to be.

Any solution that I see making us happy...and Trion money...is another bank...or a shared storage system, which frankly, I'm amazed they have not already implemented for a credit price. Pretty much every other MMO already has this in place, and would be the simplest implementation for Trion from a coding point of view, as the code pretty much already exists.
    Last edited by Ualani; 11-19-2014 at 10:18 AM.
    Dimensions on Zaviel:

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Ualani View Post
    Any solution that I see making us happy...and Trion money...is another bank...or a shared storage system, which frankly, I'm amazed they have not already implemented for a credit price. Pretty much every other MMO already has this in place, and would be the simplest implementation for Trion from a coding point of view, as the code pretty much already exists.
    Agreed.

I think in the long term and looking back over things we as a community also just took it in our strides and found our own solutions, something Dimensioneers are great at. Minions however have added an overwhelming sense of organizing. I haven't been able to begin my next build this week yet trying to maintain the generous items given me by my wonderful guild mates and friends. I don't want Minions to become a "solution" by somehow lowering the amount of items we get from them I'm hoping storage can be addressed before taking that step. Once again if we take into consideration all the items we have I wonder also if storage would become another "more capacity" subject often revisited to change needing more and more.

I still would very much like this along the same lines as Ualani's thoughts.

Telaran

There are item limits for a reason. What it sounds like is simply saying...I want more storage space to get around the item limit issues without having to pay 700+ credits or 4k plat. I mean, under your idea, you could use a base dim of 400 item limit...and never pay for any upgrades? (Except for the cost of your boxes).

Unlikely to ever happen. Not even for credits. I know, I'm all bah humbug and what-have-you...but that's the way it seems to be.
    Item limits isn't at issue here. The reason it is not at issue is because rather than "more storage space to get around the item limit" you are getting more storage space only for dimension items which is why it is construction storage.

You are really touching on normal storage which is addressed, separately, in the post to which you originially responded. That is not addressed in this thread as it is off-topic. I did, specifically, cover enough to address exactly the issue you bring up (in the last few paragraphs).

Any solution that I see making us happy...and Trion money
    This thread also covers that it isn't specifically about making money [for Trion]. The prososition involves a fee structure that intends:

1. Construction storage to be free, as it should be.
    2. Normal storage to be implemented with fees (similar to the bank and off-topic)
    3. End of construction (missed-date fees)

I never see anyone talk about the "suspension of disbelief" in these forums so I'll assume no-one knows what that means and start with the simple statement: After construction has finished (IRL) all construction materials are removed before occupancy. This applies to business or residential. Exceptions happen. Often the construction company can pay fees, after a grace-period, which can be daily, weekly, or monthly.

...is another bank...or a shared storage system, which frankly, I'm amazed they have not already implemented for a credit price. Pretty much every other MMO already has this in place, and would be the simplest implementation for Trion from a coding point of view, as the code pretty much already exists.
    While this sounds good it also sounds "ideal" and like you may only have limited experience with coding.

Here is the likely answer: Bankers are not merchants. They are highly specialized, interactive constructs. They are one-time, one-use only pieces of code that have been updated in an iterative process and not planned for forks.

That said it may be the better answer if Trion has followed best practices in this one place, managing this one customized interface. Like I said, not likely.

The reason I believe this system is the better answer--dimensions are already designed to hold boxes. They do that, now. That specific function isn't complex. What would be complex is making boxes interactive and adding ACLs (Access Control Lists to determine who has what-level of access, like in a guild bank).

In addition, using boxes that can be labeled and dyed you provide better organization than provided by a banker. I suspect you asked for a banker because it is something with which you are familiar. That is a common mistake people and companies make. Just because you drive a Volkswagon doesn't mean you should use it to pull a 150' boat. Yet people still try this on a daily basis. 1st, determine the need. Then determine function and use in a process with one (or more) appropriate and anticipated scenarios. Then develop multiple options for solutions (or look at what someone else has done to address the problem in cases where other solutions were used (not the same one you came up with in first visualizing the solution).

Please do not presume to know my knowledge on coding and programming. I could argue the same for yourself, that the coding is not in the game or even possible for what you suggest, as all items inside the 'moving crate' (which is essentially, the exact same thing you propose) does not constitute 'one' item. All items inside said moving crate (which for the purposes of semantics, is a storage box) are still applied to the dim limit. Let me guess...you expect building blocks to count as 'one item' in the storage box if stacked?....Does it work like that now? No....but it does in a bank.

Surely they would have made it like that in the first place if this was possible or remotely easily coded? (given how complicated it gets to have 2k items in a moving crate inside a 400 item limit dim form example).

This thread also covers that it isn't specifically about making money [for Trion]
    Your thread title could have fooled me. Seems very much, do what I want to make my life easier, or I won't spend any money....but I could be getting the wrong end of stick...I have problems with common every day phrases...such as suspension of disbelief etc...

Construction storage to be free, as it should be.
    Why should it be? Because you think it should? You see these are the issues I take umbrance with....

You can potentially have 5 personal bank slots....guild slots (if you made your own guild)...8 bag slots in personal bank....and ip to 20 storage dims on 4 alts...if you so chose...and then...if you wanted to make life difficult....pack those storage dims up...and fill them again.

Is it convenient? no it sure as hell isn't...but the storage is there. I'm all for ideas, R&D, throwing things around....and having more goodies for us to play with and use etc etc....but honestly, some things that have been asked for...wanted, proposed etc....have no concept in real research of if it's even possible or feasibility in how it would be done.

That is a common mistake people and companies make
    No mistake here....another bank...or shared account bank...is simpler, more effective, and helps the community as a whole also.l

As you are so fond of phrases and assuming what people do and don't do...I'll leave one for you...

When something can be done simply, why over complicate it?
    Last edited by Ualani; 11-19-2014 at 01:29 PM.
    Dimensions on Zaviel:

Telaran

No mistake here....another bank...or shared account bank...is simpler, more effective, and helps the community as a whole also.l
    I get it. You want what you're comfortable with and understand.

As you are so fond of phrases and assuming what people do and don't do...I'll leave one for you...

When something can be done simply, why over complicate it?
    Sounds like you're having difficulty in understanding something you're not familiar with. I can see why you might think it could be overcomplicated. There are very few things in an MMORPG that are not complicated. Anyone with coding experience understands that there will be no "simple" answer.

You haven't communicated what you are trying to accomplish. If you have your own ideas you are welcome to start a thread and present them. I'd suggest you do that.

I read the OP and I'm just not quite sure how these boxes are going to help. I need to see in my inventory what I have and how many of that Item I have available, so my first question is will the box be like a guild bank?

Don't' take this the wrong way but I have no interest in paying any kind of "storage" or "rent" fees for my dimension items, no thank you.
    Last edited by Nouvae; 11-19-2014 at 04:56 PM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

A quick note to those that think this is complex: Look at the mission statement in this post, above. Keep in mind this is simple compared to the coding behind many of the simplest activities found in-game. The UI for this could be very simple and intuitive. I'd love it if this were accepted by development in the community and I could participate in the UI design. I'd be shocked if that happened.
    Having worked with add on and UI things in Rift as a player my best advice would be do it (add on wise) see if you can and put work passed the words. It's a gamble cause as you work hard on everything you can't help wondering if someone else or even Devs may come out with something in the mean time but it's worth it if you can accomplish even a fraction of something that helps or learn one thing along the way you didn't know before.

Just do it without thinking anyone else will do it for/with you.

You haven't communicated what you are trying to accomplish. If you have your own ideas you are welcome to start a thread and present them. I'd suggest you do that.
    You will not be the first and hopefully not the last to post for things requiring Dev support and your obvious knowledge and passion is evident but please don't deter others from having a simpler approach - that defeats the purpose all together.

I'm watching posts in general forums grow on the need for storage/breaking items down. Assumptions are flying as well as unwarranted criticism against our sector of the game. Life happens but lets not join them and stay on track.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 11-19-2014 at 05:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast