Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By Matikz
  • 2 Post By Feendish
  • 2 Post By Zillaan
  • 1 Post By Nouvae
  • 3 Post By Kitasia
  • 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 3 Post By Dusky Beauty

Thread: Tips for a beginner dimension builder?

Default Tips for a beginner dimension builder?

So I've poked at dimensions on and off since they were introduced but haven't done much with them. Now with the introduction of minions I'm finding I have more dimension items than I know what to do with. That, combined with the fact that my dream weaver is finally getting up in levels, I figured it's probably about time I get serious about my dimensions. So I'm basically coming before the dimension gurus of the Rift forums and asking for tips and tricks that will make my swan dive into the world of dimension building a little more graceful than the belly flop I'd probably do on my own. No tip is too basic so hit me folks. Just not in the face.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matikz View Post
    So I've poked at dimensions on and off since they were introduced but haven't done much with them. Now with the introduction of minions I'm finding I have more dimension items than I know what to do with. That, combined with the fact that my dream weaver is finally getting up in levels, I figured it's probably about time I get serious about my dimensions. So I'm basically coming before the dimension gurus of the Rift forums and asking for tips and tricks that will make my swan dive into the world of dimension building a little more graceful than the belly flop I'd probably do on my own. No tip is too basic so hit me folks. Just not in the face.
    Welcome to the addiction.

Everything you need to know to get you pointed in the right direction is here, in this resource thread. There are addons that can help with the actual building and make movement around your dimensions much easier (especially for those higher reaches), and most sites have some beginner FAQ or some sort of building tips section.

Beyond that, I would recommend joining either the dimensionaddicts@deepwood channel if you're on NA shards, or dimensionaddicts@zaviel if you're on EU, and someone will answer your questions.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Sometimes belly-flops are more interesting and fun than swan dives - lol. One tip is to tour lots of other dimensions and ask yourself "how did they do that?" Ideas often come from combinations of other things you have seen.

I just echo all the info Feendish and Zillaan gave. If you get lost along the way just ask questions here or in the chat channel, someone is always around to help you. Welcome to dimensions!

Welcome My suggestion is never get discouraged. It all starts with a idea and it builds .

And ideally...always start with a plan or idea in your head rather than making it up as you go.
    Dimensions on Zaviel:

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Get what you have throw in all into a dimension and scale, flip sink and rise every item. When you get into a Dimension grab an Ochre Rug or Tribal table and fly around your Dimension to see every angle then scale, flip, sink and rise some more. It's what I did for 72 hours straight in Storm Legion closed beta and still do to this date though these new coral Nightmare Tide items are so huge I flip myself out

Above all else though do not get overwhelmed by what others have done, seek your own imagination and run with it! Have fun and welcome to the zone.

I would reiterate Kiwi's advice. Never let yourself get discouraged from someone else's unique work. Every dim builder ever has felt like they were outclassed when they check out other dims, and you can learn something from very unexpected or humble dims sometimes.

When looking at other people's work, be free with your compliments. Every dim I've ever looked at (even the crappy ones) someone tried something I never considered before and gave me something to think about. You know that feeling I just talked about? that insecurity? Everyone has that. Specific compliments are best. "I love this morph", "I love what you did with the wall textures".

It's cool if you're rubbish at once particular facet of dimension building, I suck with architecture. I have a really rough time planning a building block custom building, and basically have to improv it. The one thing I have going for me is my "redneck engineering gene". I do well at looking at an item and figuring out another use for it.

Finally, time in a dimension build is fluid. If you're having fun while you do it, you're not a "failure" to take something down you put hours into if it's just not working, or you figure out something better.

And... Dimension Tools. The sooner you get it, and learn to use it, the happier you'll be. No, you don't have to "get" how the geometric coordinates work to use it effectively or to be "good" at dim building. It just helps. Even if all you ever do is save designs to be copied or moved, worth it.

I don't think "having a plan" set in stone is necessary. It helps, but you can start with a basic idea of what you want to do or make, and surprise yourself along the way.
    Last edited by Dusky Beauty; 11-12-2014 at 08:39 AM.

just have fun, experiment with things you never know what you can build

Visit the public dimension "Take a Penny, Leave a Penny" on your shard. With the huge influx of dimension items coming from minions now, there could very well be some useful things for you there. I know the one on Faeblight is nearly full all the time now...I visit it fairly often to drop off stuff myself
    Dimensions on Faeblight:
    Gatekeeper's Christmas Cottage, Faerwood Cottage, Sunrise Cottage, Moonglow Cottage (Nym)
    Ozark Mountain Christmas ( Aedrexa)
    Dream Weaver's Palace (Morgeanna)

+ Reply to Thread