+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Maihes
  • 2 Post By Velaxis
  • 2 Post By Cailynn

Thread: item count solution

  1. #1
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    209

    Default item count solution

    Since the developers are reluctant to increase item count for various reasons, a possible solution might be to offer more items that would replace stuff that is currently created by players morphing lots of items together. Like fireplaces, furniture, elaborate window styles, etc.

    I feel that would be a good compromise.
    Last edited by Maihes; 10-29-2014 at 08:27 AM.

  2. #2
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,854

    Default

    What I love about Rift and Rift Dimensions is that everything we have is in our game including the Dimensions themselves and its fantastic. Playing Trove and ArcheAge (among other building games) I have come to love even more the unique signature Dimensions have that make it totally separate from every other building game, Trove has so much of everything I find the need to wield the Trove sword more than anything else where possible (Even though I play a gunslinger not a knight the most of any class). The reason I share this is because the wonderful idea you have also has this unique signature to contend with, That Dimensioneers are so clever and we all get to morph to our hearts content makes us want to reach further and have more capacity but I find the compromise already in place worth it to hold on to the beauty of Dimensions the way they are.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 10-29-2014 at 08:42 AM.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Ualani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    207

    Default

    And that would be less plat spent ;) Unless those items were then on the store for daft money.

    More importantly, said new item(s) then need to have their own model made...and that is a whole different ball game within the engine I'm afraid.
    Dimensions on Zaviel:

  4. #4
    Telaran Velaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    97

    Default

    I mentioned this in another thread, but it's also relevant here.

    The main dilemma is the item restriction, not that dim builders want the convenience of premade objects they can buy - they're naturally creative and like building things. But, for example, it can take at least a dozen items to make a stove. Say you've already got 6 different stoves you've designed in other dims, but this time, in a kitchen area you're designing, you'd be happy to buy a premade one to free up items for different objects you want to build. This doesn't just apply to stoves, of course! There are many common objects that always have to be made from multiple items. It's not so much that people would spend less plat, because I don't think they would, they'd just be given more choice on how they spend it.

    I've also mentioned the dilemma of circles before - in some cases, they have to be made rather than existing items utilised upsidedown etc, and they can take a lot of parts.

    There are existing objects in the game that could be made available to dim builders, so it wouldn't necessarily involve new items being created by Trion. I remember seeing a cool clay oven during that long, phased, story quest chain in Eastern Holdings in Brevane (the one with the horrible tower jumping). I had a good look round that town, as it was relatively free of mobs, and saw quite a few things I thought would be cool to have for building. I think you can get back to that place via a portal in the cave where the chain starts, so it could be possible to explore it even when the quests are done. Sorry I can't remember exact names or places, though!

  5. #5
    Plane Touched Atraius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    What I love about Rift and Rift Dimensions is that everything we have is in our game including the Dimensions themselves and its fantastic. Playing Trove and ArcheAge (among other building games) I have come to love even more the unique signature Dimensions have that make it totally separate from every other building game, Trove has so much of everything I find the need to wield the Trove sword more than anything else where possible (Even though I play a gunslinger not a knight the most of any class). The reason I share this is because the wonderful idea you have also has this unique signature to contend with, That Dimensioneers are so clever and we all get to morph to our hearts content makes us want to reach further and have more capacity but I find the compromise already in place worth it to hold on to the beauty of Dimensions the way they are.
    More items make more creations...not less...and the named items like fireplaces also safe item counts...leaving it the way it is doesn't help at all. they don't want to up item count because they cant because of gameengine and server limits...ok...understood...but they can implement items that safe item count...makes sense to me...just my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maihes View Post
    Since the developers are reluctant to increase item count for various reasons, a possible solution might be to offer more items that would replace stuff that is currently created by players morphing lots of items together. Like fireplaces, furniture, elaborate window styles, etc.

    I feel that would be a good compromise.
    .../signed...it has bin mentioned many times and it is about time. And there are enough objects ingame that could be dimitems easely.

    Atraius // Olli
    Last edited by Atraius; 10-30-2014 at 03:44 AM.

  6. #6
    Telaran Velaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    97

    Default

    I had a look in game, and the place I meant as the location of the clay oven is accessed at Fen Gorge Bunker. The dream portals are still there after the quests are done. The oven is by a barn before you get to the town/mansion itself. There is also a cool dresser in one of the town buildings and a sort of sideboard - the dresser particularly is, while good, not better than anything a dim builder could make, but you can see by looking at it how many separate items would go into such a construction, should a builder do it themselves.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple Cailynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Velaxis View Post
    I've also mentioned the dilemma of circles before - in some cases, they have to be made rather than existing items utilised upsidedown etc, and they can take a lot of parts.
    This I experienced first hand, as I needed two flat circles for the fountain I'm creating for the contest. If only I would've had a flat circle, then I'd have easily stayed within the 100 item limit for the contest. I could've saved about 28 items on a 100-item-max fountain contest. It's not hard to guess how much of the item count could be saved in an entire dimension if we had more building block shapes available.

    So if they can't increase the item count (which I understand), then give us more shapes and pre-made stuff? I've come to enjoy building my own sofas, but it would save on item count with at least the possibility of using a pre-made one. There's plenty of stuff in the game that Trion could let us have for dimensions, and then at least you'd have a choice in the matter
    Dimensions@Gelidra: Ravensong Heights by Cailynn and The Crowned Stag by Pro Lucror

  8. #8
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atraius View Post
    More items make more creations...not less.
    I was mentioning items in game and staying true to them because more often than not Dimensioneers want items that aren't in the game - not always just sometimes. I am aware and at the same time unsure why you say that I re-quoted.

    Side note and generally speaking: Perhaps posting pictures of the items in game (with location) might be more encourage-able and seeing if they are already attached to a building we have etc? When Dimensions first came out it use to be so much fun traveling the zones looking for many pieces and when world drops occurred also heh
    Last edited by Kiwi; 10-30-2014 at 01:06 PM.

  9. #9
    Plane Touched Atraius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I was mentioning items in game and staying true to them because more often than not Dimensioneers want items that aren't in the game - not always just sometimes. I am aware and at the same time unsure why you say that I re-quoted.

    Side note and generally speaking: Perhaps posting pictures of the items in game (with location) might be more encourage-able and seeing if they are already attached to a building we have etc? When Dimensions first came out it use to be so much fun traveling the zones looking for many pieces and when world drops occurred also heh
    I would like to see both...portals that work between different dimensions and not just the own ones (not ingame yet) and more basic building blocks that arent in the game aswell...and items that can be found ingame...like many furniture or landscapic building blocks and houses...

    Atraius // Olli

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts