+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Getting into dimensions...

Telaran

Default Getting into dimensions...

So after these years of never being really interested in dimensions, I've decided to start getting into them.

What would be a good dimension to get to learn on, besides the default Sanguine Shores for Guardians? I been saving up dimension items I loot and dumping them into my tutorial dimension for storage.

Others may say differently, but to me it's like asking how long is a piece of string.

Each dimension has something different to offer. Do you want to completely change a dimension, or use the existing features of a dimension? Have something enclosed (so it really doesn't matter which dim it is). But don't let a certain dim put you off doing something, existing things inside a dimension can always be covered up and hidden. If you want a completely blank canvas, then Anywhere suits, as it is devoid of anything except a sandy floor.

The starter dims only have a 400 item limit, this can be limiting, or can be a goal or challenge to create something with this limit. On the larger dimensions, bear in mind that the costs of upgrading the item limit get a bit ridiculous (3.8k plat to go from tier 4 to 5 item limit), so factor that into any decision.

Basically, let your imagination run riot
    Last edited by Ualani; 10-24-2014 at 06:57 AM.
    Dimensions on Zaviel:

Soulwalker

I recently got into dimensions as well (my first big one is still under construction), and found this to be a point that I agonized over for a while. My suggestion, or at least my thought process when I approached it would be to decide what you want to do or create first. Do you want to decorate a dimension that has existing structures, build from scratch and thus need a lot of building room and a high item limit, or possibly a little of both.

Once you have in mind a general idea what you may want to do or create, you should do some browsing. I found dimensiongallery.com to be an invaluable source of info when it comes to showing different dimensions in a directory that makes it easy to go through all of the different keys (gives prices and upper item limits). If you can narrow it down to a couple of dims, go touring into those dims that other players have open. If you look at ones that have low votes, chances are they are fairly new so you can get an idea of what the dim looks like when you start.

Touring dims is really the best way to get a feel of what each one can offer and give you tons of inspiration on the way. Good luck!

On what Nyxese was saying about touring, is a great idea. As for finding 'empty dims'...I have a quite few empty at the moment waiting to be worked on, would be happy to show you them 'as they are' when you buy them. (if I have the ones you are interested in)

Not sure which shard you are on, but if on the EU shards, send me a whisper or get me on the dimaddicts channel (which is also advisable to join, it's Dimensionaddicts@Zaviel for the EU and @Deepwood for the US shards))
    Dimensions on Zaviel:

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aRifter View Post
    So after these years of never being really interested in dimensions, I've decided to start getting into them.

What would be a good dimension to get to learn on, besides the default Sanguine Shores for Guardians? I been saving up dimension items I loot and dumping them into my tutorial dimension for storage.
    First off, welcome to the addiction.

Sanguine Shores is an easy-ish dimension to work with, but it's really up to your personal taste and preferences as to what you really want to do.

I would highly recommend taking all that loot you've been getting and play with the items. You can do anything you want with any dimension, it's the items that make it or break it, in my opinion. Everything is up to the item limit and your own creativity.

Touring dimensions has already been offered as a suggestion, and I fully agree with that. Touring is the single best way to really get an idea of what's possible, with any base dimension. To see an empty base dimension, go to the search function of the dimension UI and type in that dimension, it usually throws up the empty ones whose names haven't been changed and don't generally have that many--or no--votes. Then you can do a comparison of those empty dimensions with those that have been completed to see which might fit whatever you want to do.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Telaran

Guess I'll go have a tour of some dimensions when Faeblight comes back up. Take a tour of my guilds dimension as well as other guildies dims.

Welcome, just adding another thought to the mix, one of the first mistakes I made was not having a plan of what I wanted to build, and like all things I just dove right in to explore it all, but if I could change the clock back I would have put more thought into what I wanted to build. Once you get the hang of building, you're done with practice and you are ready to make a large build, try coming up with a plan, even if its a small one, write down ideas, search out inspiration on the web, it will save you some time, plat/credits, and headache in the end.
    Last edited by Nouvae; 10-24-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Nouvae View Post
    Welcome, just adding another thought to the mix, one of the first mistakes I made was not having a plan of what I wanted to build, and like all things I just dove right in to explore it all, but if I could change the clock back I would have put more thought into what I wanted to build. Once you get the hang of building, you're done with practice and you are ready to make a large build, try coming up with a plan, even if its a small one, write down ideas, search out inspiration on the web, it will save you some time, plat/credits, and headache in the end.
    This is my problem, I have absolutely no idea what I'd want to do or build. My creativity is like non-existent. xD

This is my problem, I have absolutely no idea what I'd want to do or build. My creativity is like non-existent. xD
    Haha, I know how you feel aRifter /comfort! But inspiration will surely come when you tour other dimensions, there is just so much awesomeness to see out there, it's mind blowing really! At first I had no idea where to start either, but now I have so many ideas I can make a number of dimensions already. Now it's just finding the time, the right dimension, how to even start planning/building and the plat to make them come alive

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Cailynn View Post
    Haha, I know how you feel aRifter /comfort! But inspiration will surely come when you tour other dimensions, there is just so much awesomeness to see out there, it's mind blowing really! At first I had no idea where to start either, but now I have so many ideas I can make a number of dimensions already. Now it's just finding the time, the right dimension, how to even start planning/building and the plat to make them come alive
    I did remember seeing one last year that I really liked. Not sure the name of the dimension it was in, but the person made it into a complete type of exotic resort.

I might do that type, would be cool.

Sounds like a cool idea indeed, and I'm looking forward to seeing it

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Cailynn View Post
    Sounds like a cool idea indeed, and I'm looking forward to seeing it
    Might take me a year or so to get it all done and what not, but hey it might be worth it!

General of Telara

For my personal experience, I found the "Anywhere" dim that worked best for me. It's empty, I mean real empty, as in there is nothing it. From that point I was able to work with my imagination from building the foundation than to jump into a pre-made structured dim and be frustrated that putting "x" in area "Y" didn't look good.

My advice, like other mentioned here, have something in mind first. Go to Youtube and punch in Rift, dimensions, and get a glimpse of the dim from that perspective and take it from there.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Google Images FTW, when it comes to generating ideas. Do a search on anything that sounds interesting, and see what comes back, and it may help you.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I'd suggest that for your FIRST STARTER dimension, you just focus on creating a 'private home' - as in a smallish dimension that will allow you to decorate a building and/or place building-items. Use this as your HQ as you move on into bigger and weirder things

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast