+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Okay
  • 1 Post By Opzichter
  • 2 Post By Ualani
  • 1 Post By Velaxis
  • 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By Atraius
  • 1 Post By Teslachu
  • 1 Post By Atraius

Thread: Player-made dimension models

  1. #1
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    29

    Default Player-made dimension models

    Allow players to submit their own 3D models to Trion for inclusion in the game. Make a new category in Rift store (unless there's already a 'Dimension Items' section) where players can purchase these 3D models using credits with 50/50 split to model creator and Trion.

    Why?

    1. More content for the game
    2. More revenue for Trion
    3. Keeps players interested in dimensions, thus keeps them playing Rift
    4. Will attract new players and content creators
    Last edited by Okay; 10-07-2014 at 08:52 AM.

  2. #2
    Telaran Opzichter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Okay View Post
    Allow players to submit their own 3D models to Trion for inclusion in the game. Make a new category in Rift store (unless there's already a 'Dimension Items' section) where players can purchase these 3D models using credits with 50/50 split to model creator and Trion.

    50/50 Hahahahaa! no way thats ever gonna happen.

    The idea is nice tho i would be making items all day

    Click here to see Our new Guild Dimension! Halls of Elevation @ Typhiria
    Or here to see Temple of Trials on Foofi@Typhiria

  3. #3
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Yeah, 50/50 is maybe a bit unrealistic

    So there is already a dimension item category in the Rift store - All Trion have to do now is begin accepting 3D model submissions.

    They could even integrate it into the game directly so that players can vote for their favourite models and at the end of the week, for example, the most popular / upvoted models are automatically added to the store. Have a Trion staff member of even community volunteers act as curators to ensure no broken / inappropriate content is submitted and it's good to go.

  4. #4
    Plane Touched Ualani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Problem here is in what format their models are in...what format they would accept...any converting that may be required, how many polygons, ready textured... etc etc etc.....

    Can't see them ever doing it, but would be fun for sure.

  5. #5
    Telaran Velaxis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    97

    Default

    An age ago, I used to belong to Vzones, which was a collection of very primitive virtual worlds, (I was mainly in Dreamscape), but in which you were able to have houses and build within them, and also customise your avatars. One of the coolest things about Vzones was that members submitted items to the shop all the time, which other members could then buy. I've no idea if people got paid for it or if so how much. There were guidelines about how such items should be created and submitted. So I think, yes, if that is ever possible for Rift it would be great, although admittedly Rift is far far more sophisticated and complicated, so perhaps the mechanics would be impossible. However, I loved it in Vzones that every month a few new member-created items would be released. Imagine that in Rift. Wow!

    I do think, though, that if it ever *is* possible, it would have to be looked on as a labour of love rather than money!
    Last edited by Velaxis; 10-07-2014 at 06:49 PM.

  6. #6
    RIFT Fan Site Operator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,854

    Default

    If we take into consideration outlines for the concept art contest for weapons and capes held earlier this year (winners here) the outline for this was doable because variation between capes and weapons is limited. If we then consider dimensions the array of possibilities is limitless even keeping within Rift lore/design. Perhaps a category of item say a light fixture based off something in game might work or if a zone was put forward as what to base concept art off?

    This suggestion piqued my interest but I can see why it might not be possible because everything we have in Dimensions is in the game. Trion has gone this way in Trove where a large portion of the game is built by players which makes me assume that it has probably crossed someones mind in the Redwood office but perhaps the amount of work to put in to allow this to happen technically is greater than an actual designer designing the awesome items themselves? Lots of yummy food for thought for sure

  7. #7
    Plane Touched Atraius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Okay View Post
    Allow players to submit their own 3D models to Trion for inclusion in the game. Make a new category in Rift store (unless there's already a 'Dimension Items' section) where players can purchase these 3D models using credits with 50/50 split to model creator and Trion...

    ...i also think 50/50 is a bit unrealistic. U would be maybe creating stuff as an hobby. Trion designers would have to implement all the items of all the "hobby"designers into the shop and check if they match the GTC as their JOB. Hobby = unpaid vs. Job = paid.

    The possible option to implement player creations into the game easyly sounds wonderfull. Would realy love that. But it shouldn't be like a major way of having such an influence to the game econemy.
    Because having such a way of earning credits would increase shopprices for everyone rapidly.

    Because...no subs = no trion = no game.

  8. #8
    Telaran Teslachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Okay View Post
    Allow players to submit their own 3D models to Trion for inclusion in the game. Make a new category in Rift store (unless there's already a 'Dimension Items' section) where players can purchase these 3D models using credits with 50/50 split to model creator and Trion.

    Why?

    1. More content for the game
    2. More revenue for Trion
    3. Keeps players interested in dimensions, thus keeps them playing Rift
    4. Will attract new players and content creators
    What Trion could do is something like what I've seen done on another site I hang out on... Which is they will hold a contest. The winners will not only get their design in the game but they will get x amount of copies of their design. It is possible that on top of their design going into the game and getting x amount of copies of that design, that Trion could also give them some Credit or plat. I think that would be fair and work.

    They could hold monthly contest. Lets just do an example here - off the top of my head:

    October Dimension Contest Theme:
    Halloween based decorations

    They could be things like Jack-o-Lanterns that can sit on the ground or even can be hung from the ceiling. They could do Halloween Light Fixture Decorations, if they wanted to restrict what people create. It still allows for a lot of different choices. This includes things like a ghost shaped light or a witch on a broom that the eyes light up red and its a wall light. Since they have already done the harvest moon sky projector - They could also add one that offers witches and ghouls flying in the sky. I mean there is so much they could do and if a Trion employee reads this - Feel free to contact me, I am sure I can create a HUGE list of different contest ideas and how to set it all up...etc ~ I would be sooo excited to see things like this!
    Teslachu@greybriar ~ Check out my dimensions!: The Ascended Sanctuary; HP - The Forbidden Forest; The Fountain of Dreams; Tesla's Wedding Chapel;

  9. #9
    Plane Touched Atraius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teslachu View Post
    What Trion could do is something like what I've seen done on another site I hang out on... Which is they will hold a contest. The winners will not only get their design in the game but they will get x amount of copies of their design. It is possible that on top of their design going into the game and getting x amount of copies of that design, that Trion could also give them some Credit or plat. I think that would be fair and work.

    They could hold monthly contest. Lets just do an example here - off the top of my head:

    October Dimension Contest Theme:
    Halloween based decorations

    They could be things like Jack-o-Lanterns that can sit on the ground or even can be hung from the ceiling. They could do Halloween Light Fixture Decorations, if they wanted to restrict what people create. It still allows for a lot of different choices. This includes things like a ghost shaped light or a witch on a broom that the eyes light up red and its a wall light. Since they have already done the harvest moon sky projector - They could also add one that offers witches and ghouls flying in the sky. I mean there is so much they could do and if a Trion employee reads this - Feel free to contact me, I am sure I can create a HUGE list of different contest ideas and how to set it all up...etc ~ I would be sooo excited to see things like this!
    Well there are many contests with different rewards including credits and game models (for weapons and capes for example) also for concept arts of wich one of them i think found his way into the game as an actual enemie (water colossus). But the community is bringing up contests more continiously. Trion only starts contests every now and then. They are often more buissy with creating new content, fixing bugs and patching things in my opinion. What is what a gamecompany does. There wasn't any contest about creating a dimension object and including it. Not that i can remember.

    Atraius // Olli

  10. #10
    Telaran Teslachu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atraius View Post
    Well there are many contests with different rewards including credits and game models (for weapons and capes for example) also for concept arts of wich one of them i think found his way into the game as an actual enemie (water colossus). But the community is bringing up contests more continiously. Trion only starts contests every now and then. They are often more buissy with creating new content, fixing bugs and patching things in my opinion. What is what a gamecompany does. There wasn't any contest about creating a dimension object and including it. Not that i can remember.

    Atraius // Olli
    Well maybe they should hire someone to just do contests and be the community manager. Let one person handle most of it - that one person can even put together a small team.... Thing is a community can only support itself so long, they game should help support the community too.
    Teslachu@greybriar ~ Check out my dimensions!: The Ascended Sanctuary; HP - The Forbidden Forest; The Fountain of Dreams; Tesla's Wedding Chapel;

  11. #11
    Plane Touched Atraius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    254

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Teslachu View Post
    Well maybe they should hire someone to just do contests and be the community manager. Let one person handle most of it - that one person can even put together a small team.... Thing is a community can only support itself so long, they game should help support the community too.
    To hire someone is a matter of ressources u have or don't have and a matter of priorities set depending on whats next and whats important.

    I think right now the expension seems to be important.

    Implementing such a major feature needs many ressources and many planings.

    Atraius // Olli
    Last edited by Atraius; 10-09-2014 at 10:21 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts