+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Feendish

Thread: Question about 'active' dimensions

Default Question about 'active' dimensions

Hi

I am wondering how many 'active' dimension each character can have at one time.

Let's say I have my original, plus 1. I build out my second slot just like I want. Now I want to try another build. I buy another slot. Will this pack up my second dimension into a moving crate?

I found a thread from last year stating this would happen, but they thought it would be changed in another update.

It doesn't seem right that I can have multiple dimensions on one alt, but can only have one active. Something seems off on that lol.

Thanks for any answers

Quote Originally Posted by Tarindil View Post
    Hi

I am wondering how many 'active' dimension each character can have at one time.

Let's say I have my original, plus 1. I build out my second slot just like I want. Now I want to try another build. I buy another slot. Will this pack up my second dimension into a moving crate?

I found a thread from last year stating this would happen, but they thought it would be changed in another update.

It doesn't seem right that I can have multiple dimensions on one alt, but can only have one active. Something seems off on that lol.

Thanks for any answers
    I believe you can have up to 20 dimension slots on one character. You can purchase another slot now, and it will not pack up either of your current dimensions. However, when you "collect" a new key, make sure you are on the empty slot before you do it. If you are on a filled dimension slot I am not sure if it would pack it all up or not.
    Dimensions on Faeblight:
    Gatekeeper's Christmas Cottage, Faerwood Cottage, Sunrise Cottage, Moonglow Cottage (Nym)
    Ozark Mountain Christmas ( Aedrexa)
    Dream Weaver's Palace (Morgeanna)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    I believe you can have up to 20 dimension slots on one character. You can purchase another slot now, and it will not pack up either of your current dimensions. However, when you "collect" a new key, make sure you are on the empty slot before you do it. If you are on a filled dimension slot I am not sure if it would pack it all up or not.
    Thank you so very much Foxfire! I have been afraid to do anything with another dim, it's taken me months to get my dim to where it is now & still a long way to be done. Would cry real tears if it was packed up lol.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Thank you so very much Foxfire! I have been afraid to do anything with another dim, it's taken me months to get my dim to where it is now & still a long way to be done. Would cry real tears if it was packed up lol.
    Foxfire is correct, you can have 20 active dimensions on each character. If you buy a new slot, there will be a screen saying that there is no key in that slot, and when you buy a new key and have empty slots, it will auto-assign to the empty slots first. Once they're all full, you then have to select which key you want to activate, and then you may run the risk of packing a build if you don't pay attention to which key you're swapping out.

There is a confirmation window when you switch keys, warning that if you switch out you'll be packing up the old dimension. So long as you're on a key that doesn't have a build in it, though, you'll be straight. For example, I have 20 keys on my main, and 19 of them are completed. For that one slot, I must be very careful if I switch keys to not pack up one of the others.

One thing that might throw you off a bit is that keys are assigned slots on your list based on the order that the key was collected, so the order may shift and shuffle as new keys are purchased/made/used.
    Last edited by Feendish; 10-05-2014 at 02:57 PM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Foxfire is correct, you can have 20 active dimensions on each character. If you buy a new slot, there will be a screen saying that there is no key in that slot, and when you buy a new key and have empty slots, it will auto-assign to the empty slots first. Once they're all full, you then have to select which key you want to activate, and then you may run the risk of packing a build if you don't pay attention to which key you're swapping out.

There is a confirmation window when you switch keys, warning that if you switch out you'll be packing up the old dimension. So long as you're on a key that doesn't have a build in it, though, you'll be straight. For example, I have 20 keys on my main, and 19 of them are completed. For that one slot, I must be very careful if I switch keys to not pack up one of the others.

One thing that might throw you off a bit is that keys are assigned slots on your list based on the order that the key was collected, so the order may shift and shuffle as new keys are purchased/made/used.
    Thank you so very much. I am saving this info

What I wish, is that there was a 'true' definitive guide for dimensions. Things you should know at the start. There are many saying how to get your first but not all you should know. My question being one of those.

Example: How to place your first lights dreamweaver's make. I spent hours on the net trying to find these answers.

The site that makes the dimension tool has a good guide, but they also have the outdated, you can only have one active dimension. (should be updated)

It can be a bit frustrating trying to track down info on dimensions + find out what has been updated.

This is my plea to all of you pro dimensioners to please put out some how to video's or even how to screenshots. Lights, paints, waterfalls (one waterfall has it's handle way to the left so it is hard to move once placed).

I put 'daytime' in my dimension. Placed it by the gate in Castle Fortune (yes I am aware, I bit off a big dimension as my first). Now what if I want to replace it with 'nighttime'? I can no longer 'see' what I set down. Will it just swap it out if I place the new one anywhere? These things are good to know, at least for me

Thank you both so very much for the help!

The time-of-day items work like this: the only one that "shows" is the last one you put in. However, in order to find something buried like that, or part of a morph, you open the list of items - that's the icon to the left in the menu bar, the one that looks like a "letter" or "scroll" or even, "list"....

Every item placed in your dim shows up on that list. Find the time-of-day one in the list, then click on the icon next to the name on the right - that's the "put back in bag" icon.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    The time-of-day items work like this: the only one that "shows" is the last one you put in. However, in order to find something buried like that, or part of a morph, you open the list of items - that's the icon to the left in the menu bar, the one that looks like a "letter" or "scroll" or even, "list"....

Every item placed in your dim shows up on that list. Find the time-of-day one in the list, then click on the icon next to the name on the right - that's the "put back in bag" icon.
    Thank you!!

Again, I have gotten more info in here than anywhere else on the net...current info that is...

Wish someone would make a 'sticky' how-to in the dimension forum. It would so help beginners like me

Thank you all. I so much appreciate your answers!

Thank you so very much. I am saving this info

What I wish, is that there was a 'true' definitive guide for dimensions. Things you should know at the start. There are many saying how to get your first but not all you should know. My question being one of those.

Example: How to place your first lights dreamweaver's make. I spent hours on the net trying to find these answers.

The site that makes the dimension tool has a good guide, but they also have the outdated, you can only have one active dimension. (should be updated)

This is my plea to all of you pro dimensioners to please put out some how to video's or even how to screenshots. Lights, paints, waterfalls (one waterfall has it's handle way to the left so it is hard to move once placed).

I put 'daytime' in my dimension. Placed it by the gate in Castle Fortune (yes I am aware, I bit off a big dimension as my first). Now what if I want to replace it with 'nighttime'? I can no longer 'see' what I set down. Will it just swap it out if I place the new one anywhere? These things are good to know, at least for me

Thank you both so very much for the help!
    Sadly, a lot of dimension information is kind of scattered. Dimension Gallery has a pretty good basic FAQ about getting started, and it sounds like you've already found the beginner's guide on RDD. The site that Diva and I run tends to assume that builders already know the most basic facets of building, such as how to place and retrieve an item. We do have a section of building tips, but I have never had the time to sit down and write out a full-length guide, the best I can do is short bursts here and there. As far as the basics go, I never wrote them because Nouvae and RDD already had, so there was no reason.

The packing list, as Narcise said, is your best friend with Dreamweaving items, or any item that you embed in walls, the ground, etc. It's better to pull out something you're not using than leave it the dimension, taking up a piece of the item limit.

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Sadly, a lot of dimension information is kind of scattered. Dimension Gallery has a pretty good basic FAQ about getting started, and it sounds like you've already found the beginner's guide on RDD. The site that Diva and I run tends to assume that builders already know the most basic facets of building, such as how to place and retrieve an item. We do have a section of building tips, but I have never had the time to sit down and write out a full-length guide, the best I can do is short bursts here and there. As far as the basics go, I never wrote them because Nouvae and RDD already had, so there was no reason.

The packing list, as Narcise said, is your best friend with Dreamweaving items, or any item that you embed in walls, the ground, etc. It's better to pull out something you're not using than leave it the dimension, taking up a piece of the item limit.
    Exactly, all the info is scattered. I was hoping someone with experience would take it on and make some great guides from lighting to well everything

Exactly, all the info is scattered. I was hoping someone with experience would take it on and make some great guides from lighting to well everything
    Lighting is something near and dear to my heart, and I have actually written a couple of posts about ways to light things and what combinations work well together as regards lights, sky projectors, and building materials. I've asked for suggestions for how-to's, and have never received any feedback, so I kind of wing it when I get an idea. I've built something like 50 dimensions over the past year and change, so I like to think I have a pretty good idea of the way they work (it may be a case that I'm a legend in my own mind, however).

Your best bets to figure out the way things work? Join the dimension addicts chat channels, as follows:

/join dimensionaddicts@Deepwood if you're on NA shards
    /join dimensionaddicts@Zaviel if you're on EU

and experimentation with items in a goof-off dimension. Dimension builders almost never hoard knowledge about the nitty gritty of how to build things and are usually happy to answer any question you may have.

Beyond asking questions of the community in game, it's up to your own individual learning style. For example, I learn better with a hands-on approach, so I take things, flip them around, turn them side to side to look at all angles, and generally make a mess of things to figure out how they work, and sometimes learn some pretty nifty tricks, completely by accident.

Thank you for coming here, however, and asking questions, because that helps me as a site operator identify some of the things that people are looking for. Since I'm on vacation this week, I can take the time to look around again and see what's out of date or missing, and try to put something intelligible together.

Baradara@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread