+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: My PTS Impressions // From a Dimensioneers View

Default My PTS Impressions // From a Dimensioneers View

Hi folks,

i'm posting this, because i would like to share my impressions with you for the upcoming 3.0 Rift "Nightmare Tide" Expansion. BUT from a dimensioneers perspective.

1.) Zones:

- I like the style, the color and the themes of the new zones. Trion game designers have done a realy great job making them fit into the rift theme but also look new. The new ice themed zone "tarken glacier" for example does not match iron pine peak. Wich is great. I like both but a second zone in the same ice themed style wouldn't be nice or new at all.

- "Goboro Reef" is colorfull but not tooo colorfull. Hailol for example is a bit overwhelming.^^
    Anyway. This zone is not my favorite. It's nice but not that nice and fiting into my "almost natural" building concepts. Not as flashy as hailol but still a bit to flashy for me.^^

- "Draumheim"...nice nice. Here we have my absolut favorit. I like soooo many items and places in this zone. On top above all, the theme. Kinda "Atlantis" atmosphere in the new capitol city as i like it.

- The skyes of the zones are also new and great. Here's my favorite the "polar-like-sky" in tarken glacier. It's not to dark but stil a crystal clear and cold frosty night. whooohoooo...I'm shaking. And i love it.^^

2.) Dimensions:

I visited the places, showed in a former trion live stream, that were fix for the upcoming 3 or 4 dimensions. Hmm...What should i say. I'm as mostly disapointed. Sometimes it seems to me that, who ever is in charge for picking a place for a "nice location, logical place to build, a stunning must have rift dimensioning experience" fails!. Again and again and again! It feels like someone made the "logical" decision of start to sell icecream at the north pole or sand in the desert.
    In 3.0 that means: Port Scion Nightmare Thingy: "A Place in front of a door of a castle or city like thing, overwhelmed from the death theme...for like 135 €"...wattafogg?!?!
    And a Goboro Reef Part where in the stream it was like "...i try to include the water walls...i can't promise..." (something like this). Don't try it girl...get it to work...cos you better don't f... this dim up like u did with many others often before...

Ok one problem i see here is that dimensioneers wanna always fill the space they have and don't make decisions like "i'm only using one part of my dim to fill with the amount of items i have"...it's often like "...we have not enough items for a dimension of this size...we want more...(and even then it's not/never enough)"

So in this case (for me) it seems like trion decidet to do smaler and more direct dimensions, rather then big dimensions where u have to decide for a place to build on, and not trying to fill the whole dimension just because it's there.

In 3.0 i hope they will get back to the first way of building dimension spots like a big place where we have to decide where to build on and a reasonable amount of items to fill this "part" of dimension we choosed. Because i'm often not happy with the choise of the dimension spot trion makes -.-

Maybe a poll on facebook (because as far as i know, polls are not alowed in the forum) would be great to find out what places in rift dimesnioneers would consider for a dimension...and then pic like the top 3 or 5. And BÄM u got it to work girl.^^

3.) Items:

Same for dimensionitems. Rift has so many items. So much potential. It has like everything to build with. Especially in 3.0. But where are they. Where are the great items we can find in the whole wide world that are NOT implemented into the game as dimension items to build with???

Feels like "...i'll save the best for last...????" srsly??...How many customers are u willing to loose until a 5.0 expansion. If u wanna impress someone (like when u are selling a product and want to bind them to the product) u always have to come up with the best u can.

U can impress and satisfy a dimensioneer with dimensionstuff....reasonable dimensionstuff...port scion for example (in my opinion) is again the exact oposite of reasonable (pointing to the price and place and theme...and so on) and satisfying.

4.) My Conclusion:

I think we have a lot to learn in/for 3.0 and above: For us dimensioneers for example that "a place u can fill doesn't always mean that its ment to be filled (with an eye on the item amount limit)...and for trion: "to set up a dimension that's ment to be liked from the one that does dimension and should buy it doesn't mean to sht a point on the map and call it dimension..." it also means to maybe concider the opinion of the opponent.

I think 3.0 is going to be great. There are many ways of enjoying the expansion. Not only dimensioning. And i hope more and (more important) great things for dimensioning will hit the floor. What i can see and feel right now is mostly stylish fresh and new. Much work has bin done but alot of work needs still to be done. Keep on with your great work trion, and i think we will all be happy.

Atraius // Olli
    Last edited by Atraius; 10-03-2014 at 12:11 AM.

Rift Disciple

Default The State of Dimension Building in General

For me, dimension building has become very frustrating. Summarized thusly: Time and time again, I can get an awesome setup and theme going, but then I find that I don't have enough of the type of dimension items which I need in order to fully develop it, at least without spamming certain items until the said dimension loses its flavor. In this sense, dimension building contests ring a bit hollow to me because there just isn't enough variety in dimension items in order to make them truly meaningful.

The Rift team really needs to focus on providing a wider variety of basic building blocks for dimension building. Off the top of my head, here are some ideas which would help me immensely:
    • Copy and Paste Tool: There needs to be a copy and paste tool which one can use to copy anything--as purely static object(s)--in a certain area within the in-game world and paste it in a dimension of your choice. In doing this, the said area will also serve as its modifiable shape. Though a tricky task to implement, this would help relieve the burden of dimension item creation off of the Rift team.
      • Likewise, but just as tricky, if not more, I'm wondering if sound recording and application could be done in the same basic way for certain areas and/or as an attachment to certain objects.
    • Cut and Split Function: There needs to be a cut and split function which allows one to trim unwanted parts off of specific objects and into separate objects This would help remove overlapping clutter from one's dimension.
      • Conversely: Item Combining Function: Items should be combinable. In this way, dimension item limits for personal dimensions could be raised without actually raising them.
    • Animation Boxes: Certain basic animations, such as scrolling, flickering, and hammering, can be rendered in their own modifiable areas of affect and work on whatever they come in contact with. This would add a new level of interactivity to personal dimensions.
    • Group Copy and Paste: As long as the player has the necessary dimension items in their backpacks, they should be able to copy and paste groups of objects in formation. This would cut down the level of aggravation which dimensioneers face when building their personal dimensions.
    • Insertable Text Boxes: Text boxes with a certain amount of text should be freely attachable to objects in one's dimension. This way, documents on desks, signs, frozen people, and so on could be given a new layer of interactivity and explanation within personal dimensions.
    • New Alignment Grid Tools: There needs to be 3d alignment grid tools which display different grids (think 3d graph paper grids here) which aid in the placing of objects. We already have such a device in circle form, so device(s) of this shape logically follow. This will aid dimensioneers in building their dimensions, especially in terms of more complex item setups.
    • Creating and Submitting New Objects: For those so inclined, players should be able to create and submit new dimension objects which can be sold in the Rift Store under a profit sharing scheme. This would help relieve the burden of dimension item creation off of the Rift team.
    In general, for me, it's about approaching dimension building in a very basic, flexible, and manual sense, but without having to actually create any objects in any 3d modeling program at the moment. Just give me the basic options in-game, and I'll take it from there.

Good player-created dimensions can easily inspire the Rift team when they don't have any ideas and help brighten their mood on bad days. So, I think that the importance of dimension building in Rift should not be underestimated by the Rift team.

Moreover, for real life artists who are looking for inspiration for real life tasks, Rift can serve as a constructive, but fun playground in which they can tinker with ideas and get inspiration. After all, any game which can aid in real life tasks actually doubles in value in the gaming market.
    Last edited by LungingWolf; 10-04-2014 at 12:33 PM.

While I have found a lot to like in 3.0, the new options for Dimensioneers are definitely not to my particular taste. I just toured all three of them on PTS and can't think of a single thing I would want to build inside any of them. They are beautiful...especially Polyp Promenade, but what can you do with them? Build a house with the building blocks we currently have? That would look ridiculous. Unless you want to morph mermaids and sea creatures and populate them with those, I don't know what anyone can do with them. I guess it will take someone with a bigger and different kind of imagination than I have to appreciate them It's like they come already complete as they are and need nothing added to them. But what else are dimensions for? I'm not really complaining, since we already have such a large collection of dimensions to choose from. All I really want is more variation in color and texture of items that already exist, as I have expressed many times in other posts and sadly, there are none of those in 3.0.

I like a few of the new items, such as the scaffoldings, and a few of the sea plants...the ones that will reduce small enough to fit an aquarium will be fun to use in that way. I also love the wrecked ship parts, at least for one theme I have in mind. The lamps are really pretty too, I might find some use for those.

I love the Minions more than anything, as they will be a huge help to me in gathering crafting materials and artifacts, as well as getting dimension item "surprises" fairly often. I haven't done any adventuring in quite a while, as I mostly just like building dimensions and not much else, so with 3.0, I might poke my head outside and see what else is going on a bit more
    Dimensions on Faeblight:
    Gatekeeper's Christmas Cottage, Faerwood Cottage, Sunrise Cottage, Moonglow Cottage (Nym)
    Ozark Mountain Christmas ( Aedrexa)
    Dream Weaver's Palace (Morgeanna)

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LungingWolf View Post
    In this sense, dimension building contests ring a bit hollow to me because there just isn't enough variety in dimension items in order to make them truly meaningful.
    I would say take a look at current entries from a "hollow" contest and see how spammy you might find them, or meaningless. Yes, I did take offense to that remark, even though I am certain it was not intended to be that way.

There are a lot of improvements to the entire dimension system that can be made, honestly, and not just in 3.0. Vengeful Sky still has bugs that ought to be fixed, and it's been around for nearly two years.

More important for me than new keys would be new items and specifically new building blocks in different textures and colors than the few choices we currently have, without resorting to modular pieces, that push builders to try to conform to the item instead of the other way around.

Even with these limited items that are all the same, however, I have spent the past two days looking at close to 30 very good player created dimensions, and each was very distinct without anything to make them spammy, and they certainly were anything but meaningless.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Rift Disciple

Default Re: Feendish

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    I would say take a look at current entries from a "hollow" contest and see how spammy you might find them, or meaningless. Yes, I did take offense to that remark, even though I am certain it was not intended to be that way. [ ... ]

Even with these limited items that are all the same, however, I have spent the past two days looking at close to 30 very good player created dimensions, and each was very distinct without anything to make them spammy, and they certainly were anything but meaningless.
    All I can say is that I have to show you what I mean via my personal dimension work in order to fully explain what I am trying to say.

But I think that I can say that there's a lot of dimensions out there which contain good tries, but are ultimately held back by a limit in resources and tools in certain respects. In this sense, to me, dimension building contests, right now, are "meaningless" in the sense that our personal visions are being held back to a significant degree.

Beyond this, we'll just have to amicably agree to disagree.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

All I can say is that I have to show you what I mean via my personal dimension work in order to fully explain what I am trying to say.

But I think that I can say that there's a lot of dimensions out there which contain good tries, but are ultimately held back by a limit in resources and tools in certain respects. In this sense, to me, dimension building contests, right now, are "meaningless" in the sense that our personal visions are being held back to a significant degree.

Beyond this, we'll just have to amicably agree to disagree.
    That, we can do.

In the grand scheme of things, dimension contests are meaningless, as are video games in general. They're things to do for fun, and to urge people to compete a little bit, and think outside the box.

To each their own, as always.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Rift Disciple

Default Re: Feendish

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    In the grand scheme of things, dimension contests are meaningless, as are video games in general. They're things to do for fun, and to urge people to compete a little bit, and think outside the box.

To each their own, as always.
    Personally, I've learned to never underestimate where inspiration may come from. Who knows, some simple "state of play" tinkering in Rift dimension building could inspire a very profitable real life artistic project in some way.

For me, dimension building has become very frustrating. Summarized thusly: Time and time again, I can get an awesome setup and theme going, but then I find that I don't have enough of the type of dimension items which I need in order to fully develop it, at least without spamming certain items until the said dimension loses its flavor. In this sense, dimension building contests ring a bit hollow to me because there just isn't enough variety in dimension items in order to make them truly meaningful.

The Rift team really needs to focus on providing a wider variety of basic building blocks for dimension building. Off the top of my head, here are some ideas which would help me immensely:
    • Copy and Paste Tool: There needs to be a copy and paste tool which one can use to copy anything--as purely static object(s)--in a certain area within the in-game world and paste it in a dimension of your choice. In doing this, the said area will also serve as its modifiable shape. Though a tricky task to implement, this would help relieve the burden of dimension item creation off of the Rift team.
      • Likewise, but just as tricky, if not more, I'm wondering if sound recording and application could be done in the same basic way for certain areas and/or as an attachment to certain objects.
    • Cut and Split Function: There needs to be a cut and split function which allows one to trim unwanted parts off of specific objects and into separate objects This would help remove overlapping clutter from one's dimension.
      • Conversely: Item Combining Function: Items should be combinable. In this way, dimension item limits for personal dimensions could be raised without actually raising them.
    • Animation Boxes: Certain basic animations, such as scrolling, flickering, and hammering, can be rendered in their own modifiable areas of affect and work on whatever they come in contact with. This would add a new level of interactivity to personal dimensions.
    • Group Copy and Paste: As long as the player has the necessary dimension items in their backpacks, they should be able to copy and paste groups of objects in formation. This would cut down the level of aggravation which dimensioneers face when building their personal dimensions.
    • Insertable Text Boxes: Text boxes with a certain amount of text should be freely attachable to objects in one's dimension. This way, documents on desks, signs, frozen people, and so on could be given a new layer of interactivity and explanation within personal dimensions.
    • New Alignment Grid Tools: There needs to be 3d alignment grid tools which display different grids (think 3d graph paper grids here) which aid in the placing of objects. We already have such a device in circle form, so device(s) of this shape logically follow. This will aid dimensioneers in building their dimensions, especially in terms of more complex item setups.
    • Creating and Submitting New Objects: For those so inclined, players should be able to create and submit new dimension objects which can be sold in the Rift Store under a profit sharing scheme. This would help relieve the burden of dimension item creation off of the Rift team.
    In general, for me, it's about approaching dimension building in a very basic, flexible, and manual sense, but without having to actually create any objects in any 3d modeling program at the moment. Just give me the basic options in-game, and I'll take it from there.

Good player-created dimensions can easily inspire the Rift team when they don't have any ideas and help brighten their mood on bad days. So, I think that the importance of dimension building in Rift should not be underestimated by the Rift team.

Moreover, for real life artists who are looking for inspiration for real life tasks, Rift can serve as a constructive, but fun playground in which they can tinker with ideas and get inspiration. After all, any game which can aid in real life tasks actually doubles in value in the gaming market.
    ...I would like to add a claiming tool. Then u could claim an area, copy it, name it and make it your dimension...but as far as i can see those tools won't be implemented within the next few centuries...

...just look how long it takes to fix a looooong time exsisting alpha-texture bug or to implement the items that are already in the game everywhere around us but to make them a dimensionitem or to implement dimensions of the communitys choice, to make sure u get the right place for a dimension and not such "port scion" crap...

...or on top of all; to start listening to the community...cos i don't have the feeling they do (not always but mostly...sadly).

I realy just sometimes don't understand Trion Devs decisions in many cases:

- Why are u choosing an awefull dimensione above a beautifull dimension (many many many times)?
    - Why do you choose to hold back dimension items, if u could make us happy and make money with?
    - Why don't u just ask the community via poll to make sure upcoming content is absolute on point and not far from great or even good...?

Atraius // Olli
    Last edited by Atraius; 10-04-2014 at 04:29 PM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator DimensionDiva's Avatar

I find a few of the comments here to be very unfair. I have never sponsored a contest and I rarely enter them, but I greatly appreciate the players and guilds who commit their own time and money to running contests for the enjoyment of the dimension community. If Trion were actively running dimension contests now, players would have the right to make comments and criticisms. However, at a time when Trion is not running dimensions contests, I find comments about "hollow" and "meaningless" contests to be extremely insulting to the generous players and guilds who run contests without assistance from Trion. It's just hateful.

My wacky weird (and mostly old) dimensions are tagged (diva) on Wolfsbane, Zaviel,
    Brutwacht, and Gelidra. I love to visit dimensions, so please invite me to see yours!

I found this comment about contests being "hollow" and "meaningless" because of a lack of many different items to be quite humorous. It is precisely BECAUSE of this lack of items that the contests ARE so meaningful. If we had many, many more items, the contests would be LESS interesting. The very fact that characters can be (and have to be) created from "sacks" and "bundles of wood" are what makes the creations so astounding. Would my Alien Queen have been as interesting if it was made with "Alien Legs" and "Monstrous Egg Sac"? Or is it the fact I had to use "Pustules" and "Brevane Creature Statues" what gives it it's allure.
    Most of the time when I tour DIM's i find myself saying "I can't believe they made THAT out of THOSE!"
    It's not that I don't want more items, I certainly do. But i don't think the current state of affairs makes contests irrelevant.

On another note,
    What I personally would like to see is a way to but an item back, after I have accidentally picked it up into my bags....

Ok folks. Back to toppic pls. I think the "contest" has bin discussed enough in a thread about pts-impressions.

Thx

Atraius // Olli

Contests were mentioned in the main post by the originator of this thread, as well as in multiple replies, so its not off topic. It isn't like we interjected random comments about Tee Ball into a thread about The World Series.

My wacky weird (and mostly old) dimensions are tagged (diva) on Wolfsbane, Zaviel,
    Brutwacht, and Gelidra. I love to visit dimensions, so please invite me to see yours!

Quote Originally Posted by DimensionDiva View Post
    Contests were mentioned in the main post by the originator of this thread, as well as in multiple replies, so its not off topic. It isn't like we interjected random comments about Tee Ball into a thread about The World Series.
    My mistake, contests were not mentioned until the first reply to your main post, and subsequently by other posters. I'm sorry I was wrong about that but I was not the post hijacker. I felt very strongly about the unfair comments made in this thread so this is where I had to defend the generous players who sponsor dimension contests. Thanks.

It's ok...we all make mistakes.

Atraius // Olli

And BTW...i'm happy to see the community setting up and managing their own contests. It's a sign for a still aktive and living community to me.

Atraius // Olli

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast