+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Inspiration

Default Inspiration

So, I have been playing Rift for about three months now, as you may have read in another thread as well. Being a creative person in real life too, I have very much fallen in love with dimension building. I've looked at quite a few dimensions on both EU and NA shards now, and most are just awesome! Some of the ideas that you guys come up with I would not do personally, but they are very creative, and very well executed. And then other dimensions just blow me away completely.

What I would like to know is how you come up with all those creative ideas, themes, morphs and so on. Touring all those awesome dimensions is mind boggling and quite humbling. I know I'm relatively new to it, but I feel I could never build something that awesome, and it's made me think of quitting dimensioneering before I make a fool of myself. Or at least keep all dimensions I have closed to the public. Sofar all I've done is try to work with the original dimension, and enhance the natural surroundings there. It's just amazing to see so many of you come up with ideas that the original dimension can't even be seen anymore. I've seen a few awesome dimensions with a cottage built, and I would love to have a go at creating my own. But sofar I've been too scared to even start.

So what's the secret, or better yet, what's YOUR secret?

If you want to see what I've done sofar you can have a look at these:

Shard: Gelidra EU
    Owner: Pro Lucror
    Dim: The Crowned Stag aka Stone Flask Tavern (our guild dim)

Shard: Gelidra EU
    Owner: Cailynn
    Dim: Ravensong Heights aka Stillmoor Vale (sofar my only personal dim)

If you want to comment I'd be happy (read: scared ) if you drop me a line.
    Last edited by Cailynn; 09-21-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Default Edit: oops

Posting while half asleep has made me forget my manners, and being the silly person that I am that kept me awake lol

I would of course be very happy with any and all insights you would be willing to share

And on a slightly off-topic side note: I seem to have lost the edit button to my posts, which is why I replied instead of edited the original post

well - if I knew exactly how the creative process worked - i would bottle it and sell it - LOL
    Seriously tho, the most important thing is that you just jump right in and experiment.
    Spin things around, turn em upside down etc.
    And always remember, nothing in a DIM is engraved in stone (even the stones) - it just takes a click to remove items that are not working out - its important to keep trying.
    For an example from my own experience - when I was working on making the Alien Queen for Feendish's contest, I completely tore her down and started from scratch no less than 3 times!!
    Finally, I hit on the items and idea that worked.
    Don't for a minute think that the awesome DIM's you are touring are built in one setting. They are worked and re-worked. Besides - the only person you need to satisfy is yourself!!
    above all else, HAVE FUN!!! DIM building is about enjoyment, not work, and sharing, and showing your work, regardless of how bad you THINK it might be. Dont compare it to others. Some of them have been building since DIM's came out, and I guarantee all of us started where you are now.
    But I ramble - and I hope this rambling helps - lol
    So - when i get home from work today - I will check out the DIM's you listed above
    Last edited by Zillaan; 09-22-2014 at 02:32 AM.

You can only edit for 5 minutes after posting (except the admins I guess).

I'll only speak for myself here.
    When I got bitten by the dimension bug, I started the same way as most people, trying to decorate a house to be a home. (In my case it was the hut in the free Faen's Retreat dim.) That's what gets you hooked! Then started to see some other people's works and realized the theme doesn't have to be restricted to houses, so a whole new world opened up. Being kind of creative-minded myself I longed to manifest the stuff that's inside my head So I built all sorts of different themes, because I get bored of one after I'm done and I move on to the next idea. Many people are happy with just decorating several houses in several different manners and there's nothing wrong with that either. It's all about the fun you are having while building. AND the fun of sharing your creations with like-minded people. I really like visiting dimensions, and it's even better if builders can tell me their thoughts and intents about it and perhaps a back story...

But to answer your question, how do I come up with stuff. I understand there's two parts you want to know: 1, the theoretical, where do I get ideas and inspiration? Well, simple answer is everywhere, it's become an insane state of mind that where-ever I go in real life I notice things "hey this would make a great dim build" lol But I get inspired a lot by other dimensioneers too, also my husband gives me cool ideas. And there is my imagination.
    2, practical. How do I build what I have in mind? This is where experience comes in... I've been building dimensions for a long time so I know every block, every flower, every object, basically. It's down to just practice, and you will know what item will be the best for your purpose. As for morphs, it helps to "forget" the original function of the objects and just look at all of them as building blocks so you can utilize their shape and color in your own way.

I'm sorry this reply got longer than I intended, I hope it helps a bit at least

I feel I need to add something because you mentioned fear.
    Never build a dimension based on what you think others might like. It's your own artistic expression, make it about you. Your personal touches will make it more special than any complicated morph. Put references in that only you will understand. With the attitude "this is how I like it, end of story" you won't have a reason to be nervous.

Quote Originally Posted by Seyler View Post
    I feel I need to add something because you mentioned fear.
    Never build a dimension based on what you think others might like. It's your own artistic expression, make it about you. Your personal touches will make it more special than any complicated morph. Put references in that only you will understand. With the attitude "this is how I like it, end of story" you won't have a reason to be nervous.
    I agree with this 100%. The more you stay true to what YOU want, the more fun you will have - and ultimately the better the build. Besides - who really decides whether a built is good or not. Like all art - beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if you built what YOU like, many others will agree.

So - i just toured your 2 DIMs
    I think you should be proud of what you have done.
    You definitely have grasp of basic DIM building techniques, and as you experiment more, you will learn new tricks.
    Also, The Dimension Touring Company has a "tips & tricks" section that can be very helpful
    Here is the link http://dimensiontouring.com/
    I like some of the morphs you have done in the Guild Dim
    However, I am not sure if you are aware, but there are some serious tomfoolery going on over at the outdoor kitchen. You might wanna check on that - lol

Firstly I just want to say that I really like your dimensions. You've only been playing for 3 months and you've already created some wonderful things. I wasn't very proud of my first ever dim (no longer exists) but it got me used to the tools and a few of the items so it was basically great practice. Experience is something that you gain along the way, getting to know the items that are available makes things so much easier. I completely agree with Seyler about forgetting the original function of items and seeing them as building blocks too, especially when it comes to morphing. You should never be afraid to open your dimensions and you should build for your own enjoyment. Not everyone likes my zombies (Brian is an aquired taste!), but I sure as hell won't stop building them because I have so much fun with them. I really hope you will continue to build, would be sad to see a budding builder quit before they really got started. Keep at it and you'll be a pro before you know it!
    Dimensions on Gelidra EU: Horror House -The Crypt - Blossom Hill - What the Hell...? - Echo Falls - This is Battery Acid, You Slime! - A Beautifully Decorated What..?! - Bad Santa - Bates Motel - Christine - Butcher Bob's II - The Remake
    NEW!
    Mountain View

Thanks for all the inspirational words, everyone. I often feel the same about being a novice (and as the other active half of Cailynn's mini-guild, we talk about this a lot). I'm a terrible dabbler, and have inspired moments to fiddle with a corner of one of my dimensions for a couple of nights, then have an idea for another work in progress. Hopefully, I'll soon get one to a state I feel comfortable sharing!

I get totally that the bug starts with decorating your first house, and then you get the yearning to create your own house, and then take that further still to create entire landscapes. At present, I'm obsessed with plants and trees and doing things with the existing buildings we can buy. I appreciate that in a way it's baby steps, learning how to place items, seeing them differently, and then taking those bigger steps towards the awesome things we can view in the dimensions we hear about on here. But as one of you rightly said, it's about the FUN, not comparing yourself to others.

Exploring other people's dimensions not only gives ideas and inspirations, but enables you to see all the building blocks (in their literal sense, not just blocks lol), in a new and creative way. I never get tired of exploring and thanks to you all for sharing.

Thank you for your sweet words everyone, I really appreciate them! At first I saw all the existing stuff, and I thought 'this is nice'. Then I saw my first ever morph in another Stone Flask Tavern (a sofa made out of a bed, stools and bedrolls) and then I was 'COOL, so this is how it works, I can do this!' Most of the morphs in our tavern were invented and done before I even knew about the whole dimensioneering community or that there were addons (/phew putting 4 steam vents on a glass orb took quite some time before I was happy with them lol), and really started touring other dimensions. After seeing so much awesomeness out there I guess I got a bit insecure I'm not going to stop building, I love it way too much! Velaxis and I make a nice team, as we really complement each other's abilities. So, I solemnly swear I will keep on touring, getting inspired, and practising

Quote Originally Posted by Zillaan View Post
    However, I am not sure if you are aware, but there are some serious tomfoolery going on over at the outdoor kitchen. You might wanna check on that - lol
    You mean Astadan throwing water on Festigor? That's our little spin on the ALS ice bucket challenge Imagine my surprise to find the ice water bucket in the shop about a week after I put them inthere lol. Originally we felt sorry for Festigor slaving in the kitchen so hard that he got to a boiling point, and we wanted to help him cool down a bit. One thing led to another....

Oh and before I forget, thanks for the tip about editing Seyler, that explains it!
    Last edited by Cailynn; 09-22-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Ravensong Heights was closed to the public just now, and I'm not sure if it was like that before, or if I was accidentally messing things up. It's open again now, same as Bahralt's Ascent that I completely forgot about. Shame on me, as that was the first dimension I got

I remember coming back to Rift, after taking a long break, because I read something about Dimensions... player housing etc.

So, I get my first dim key (Warden's Point) and a satchel with various items. I look at the stone tile and was like "Huh? Do they want us to make a tile floor?" I had no idea you could re-size the stuff. Same with the wood plank, for the longest time, I had no idea what to do with that stuff.

I was also rather timid (yea me hahahaha go figure...) to just enter other player dims. I was like, I can't just drop into some stranger's home... LOL

So, I also turned to the forums (first place I always go when I have questions and/or look for other player's input) and then discovered the wonderful dimension community here. After I checked out various posts here, I started to tour dims, created characters on every server to check out these wondrous creations.

You have to start somewhere and don't be afraid. My first build was so basic and so crude, but you learn from it. You have to work with the materials in order to get an understanding of how to use them.

Plus, necessity is the mother of all inventions. Try to think of a place or a movie or a book that inspired you. When you try to re-create these scenes, you will have to morph some objects, to represent objects that are not available in game.

Sometimes, I just turn things upside down, to see what the bottom looks like and how I can use it in a build.

The most important thing though (for me at least) is to have a plan, a theme. I need to know what I want to build, before I start. I do some research on the internet, look at pictures or get into games to check out what I want to build (like I did for my Skyrim and Fallout build). Once I KNOW what I want to build, I get tunnel vision and I don't do anything else, but work on that dim. LOL It's like being caught in a feverish flurry of activity

I also know that I'm by no means a morpher, because I love to just decorate things. However, after building a few large structures, I found that I might make a decent architect. I love to build my own structures and then go nuts decorating the place!

So, get your inspirations in other dims, but remember, you are the creator of your own dim, so don't worry what others have build. You will find your own style once you start building.

And most of all... have FUN. Dimensions are a wonderful creative outlet, where your imagination can run free and wild!

Thanks Agrona, you words are encouraging

You're very right about dimensions being a wonderful creative outlet. In my RL creativity I am used to thinking outside the box, and coming up with more than one way to use items. And where many people do what other people do, I usually try to do something else lol. I guess I just have to do the same thing here then. And I must say, I have been looking at items from all sides right from the start

Sorry I'm so late getting in on this thread....I did visit last night, and was very impressed by the fact that these are your first dimensions. They are a lot better than mine were LOL. I really liked the way you laid out the little Sanctum houses in your personal dimension, and noticed some nice morphs in your guild dimension. You are well on your way, so never feel insecure again, lady

I'd try to add my "words of wisdom" here, but I think everyone else has covered things pretty well. For myself, I am mostly into building structures, at least right now. I'd rather build a cottage than decorate it! I know that is usually a guy thing, but not in my case. I hope to make every structure I build better than the last one....that's what makes me happy, so that's what I do. Currently I have found a lot of Pinterest boards with really neat picture of houses and cottages, and that could be a source for just about anything you want to see for some inspiration. I've yet to try and copy any of them, but probably will in the not too distant future
    Dimensions on Faeblight:
    Gatekeeper's Christmas Cottage, Faerwood Cottage, Sunrise Cottage, Moonglow Cottage (Nym)
    Ozark Mountain Christmas ( Aedrexa)
    Dream Weaver's Palace (Morgeanna)

Thanks Foxfire! I can't promise I'll never feel insecure again, but I can promise I'll do my best not to.

Truthfully, I was not for one minute thinking of not building dimensions anymore, just of not showing them to others But I'll open them up as I progress, I promise. I have to say I went on quite a shopping spree yesterday, and bought a few dims. The current count is 15, and there'll be a few more soon. For example I have a very cool idea for building a themed cottage (I just luuuurve cottages! lol) dim, and I think I'm going to need an Anywhere dimension for that which I don't have yet I think I'll be wanting a ton of dimension items from Autumn Harvest for it too. Oh, and I'm with you on building things, I like that a lot as well. Even though I now know there are addons, building things from scratch is part of the fun for me. Unless I have to do it a lot of times, then I'll make a set out of it lol. Also, I've had a few misshaps, like I accidentally removed a building from one of Velaxis' dims (a very cool one that I hope she'll open up at some point) which almost gave me a heartattack. Fortunately I was able to correct it, but it's made me use the addon for sets more often even if it means there's only a building in the set

And that's a good idea, looking on Pinterest. I think I have an account there, although it's not been used in years. And I have a Tumblr account too, you can find tons of very cool ideas there as well. I think I may need something to write down ideas in, as I have too many lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast