+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree174Likes

Thread: Wonderful boxes... mmm

Default Wonderful boxes... mmm

Although this has been discussed in other threads, feel it needs a re-mention in the advent of 3.0. It is quite an important thing for dimensioneers.

Players who are into building dimensions are already happy to fork out for items in the Rift store. They would love access to even more items. Many of them, from what I've read, are against the RNG of buying boxes of wonder... a strange term indeed... with the chance of having tumble forth things they actually want. Most times it's a bunch of snowy logs and some tents. Or one wall. Or a piece of velvet rope on its own. Or another shop sign to add to the dozen others. Yes, I've bought the boxes before, and yes there is enjoyment in opening them all, but really it's not value for money so I won't do it any more. My stash with over a dozen tents in it agrees.

Dimensioneers are guaranteed customers. They always want things to build with. They will pay for that. So please, to add my voice to many that have cried out before, in the future, and in the light of a new expansion, can we just have items on sale in the store? Not this mystery shenanigans of a box that *might* contain something nice?

Instead of all those people who snarl at the Schrodinger's Cat box, you would no doubt have many happy customers spending their credits or plat on the items they want that are actually there for them to buy. Seems a more sensible way to go to me.

You're absolutely right. I've never bought even one of those boxes, and I will not. There are too many things that I know I want to spend credits or plat on, and I jealously hoard my credits to use for the things I really need. The boxes are a blatant cash grab...and yeah, I want Trion to make money to keep Rift going, but would prefer they do it with a little more class. Just my 2 cents
    Dimensions on Faeblight:
    Gatekeeper's Christmas Cottage, Faerwood Cottage, Sunrise Cottage, Moonglow Cottage (Nym)
    Ozark Mountain Christmas ( Aedrexa)
    Dream Weaver's Palace (Morgeanna)

RIFT Fan Site Operator Tamarama's Avatar

The mystery boxes are great for new players, who don't have a stash of all the common items. They can build up their horde of goodies and, if lucky, will get a fancy item of varying rarity.

If I were a new player I'd consider it. When I opened a whole bunch on the PTS, they almost always contained more credits worth of items than were spent on the box (mainly holiday event items). It does help if you want and love rocks, snags and logs, cause there seems to be a lot of them.

For longer term players, who've been to most of the holiday events, have collected heaps of items already, the value isn't there. The chance of getting the coveted rare item they want is too small. Better to save the platinum up and buy from the AH. Though of late, it doesn't seem like many people are opening boxes.
    Last edited by Tamarama; 09-19-2014 at 11:37 PM.

Better Homes and Dimensions - A blog just for Dimensions.

Plane Touched

I concur, I bought a few boxes but the majority was rocks and plants. I happen to like plants but those in there are easily bought in store, or similar ones for far less.
    So, no, they aren't worth it.
    However, I don't object to a certain randomness to boxes if there was a guaranteed spread of common/uncommon/rare items in them. I think it contains 6 objects so maybe 4 common, 1 uncommen, 1 rare. Those rares could be random then ofc, but at least there would be something you could use or sell. I think people would be more wiling to spend credits then.

The whole 2 boxes i bought, i got a shopsign, a rug and rocks, the second one had rocks, 1 green, no blues or better. Never again.

Dimensions: Summer Cottage@Gelidra, Twisted Fairytale@Gelidra, T.A.R.D.I.S@Gelidra, Desperation@Gelidra, 11:th Hour@Gelidra, Bunny Suicides@Gelidra, Lost@Gelidra / By Avalania: Mad Doctors lab@Gelidra,

I really dislike the boxes, mainly because the few items id really want to have are random and the rng gods hate me with a passion. I dont have a problem with any kind of box when the items in it can be obtained either in game or for a flat credit cost. I dont want to drop 2k creds hoping for the mossy tavern just list the darn thing for 1-2k and ill buy a ton of them, same for any other item that's rare in there.
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xillean View Post
    I really dislike the boxes, mainly because the few items id really want to have are random and the rng gods hate me with a passion. I dont have a problem with any kind of box when the items in it can be obtained either in game or for a flat credit cost. I dont want to drop 2k creds hoping for the mossy tavern just list the darn thing for 1-2k and ill buy a ton of them, same for any other item that's rare in there.
    Exactly this.

I've stated before, more than once, my opinion about the boxes and how much I absolutely despise the RNG. I wasn't going to post here because I've stated my opinion so many times before, but the boxes make me angry enough I can't help myself.

I agree with Radish to an extent about boxes being beneficial to new players who may wish to amass a quantity of dimension items. However, I feel there are also better ways to do this, like fishing, mob farming, etc.

Tie the items in the boxes to a rep grind, and I'll play, gladly. Put them on the store for direct purchase, and I don't hesitate to buy in quantity.

Yes, the credit worth of the items received may be higher than the cost of the box itself. However, if I never use those rocks, snags, logs and snowy trees, they have no value as I refuse to resell them to the vendor for 1 silver and often can't move them on the Auction House. So if I can't/won't use them and can't sell them, I have NOT gotten my money's worth, period.

The sad thing is, the items in the box I really want are of uncommon rarity, at best. Most of them are common items, like the braziers. There are some really awesome items in the boxes, but it's all the stuff those awesome items are mixed with that really turns me off the idea of them. As for putting modular building blocks in the boxes to add to the RNG and lower the percentage of actually getting an item that's wanted, that's just adding to the insult.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

The boxes do seem quite random indeed. I did buy a few, and I did get some good items. But also a lot of stuff that's available from the shop for only a little, either in plat or credits. And one thing I find really disturbing is that some items are only available from the boxes. Should you have a cool idea which requires more than one of those items, then how would you go about it? The chance of getting the number you want or need for your idea are slim to none. If the droprate of an item from the boxes is 1 in a 1000, then it is 1 in a 1000 for every box. That means you can buy 1000 boxes, and still come up empty handed. That's just mind boggling.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cailynn View Post
    The boxes do seem quite random indeed. I did buy a few, and I did get some good items. But also a lot of stuff that's available from the shop for only a little, either in plat or credits. And one thing I find really disturbing is that some items are only available from the boxes. Should you have a cool idea which requires more than one of those items, then how would you go about it? The chance of getting the number you want or need for your idea are slim to none. If the droprate of an item from the boxes is 1 in a 1000, then it is 1 in a 1000 for every box. That means you can buy 1000 boxes, and still come up empty handed. That's just mind boggling.
    I ran into that with a build I did in Infinity Gate. I really, really like the Blue Corrugated Columns, just because of the texture and bright colors. My idea called for at least 50, and closer to 75.

I wound up with 4, and that was only because of trading and very generous friends.

According to one of the livestreams a while back, it was stated that more Mystery Boxes of dimension items are sold than building blocks, and that was before the new boxes came out. I find that hard to believe, to say the least, given how many building blocks I know I've used, in any given build (some of them are well over 1500, in just building blocks). From a lot of dimension touring, I haven't seen anything to contradict that belief, either.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Well, despite the fact that the RNG in this game loves me FAR more than that of TOMMO, the one thing I need/want from a box is the Magical Orb Display.

I've bought a few boxes, but damn, the drop rate must be .0001 or something.... and at some point the credits need to be used for other things....
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Champion

I bought one box when it was on sale I think, and for the most part I felt I did not get my money's worth from it. I think of the six items in it, I used two myself, and spent a ridiculous amount of time shuffling the other four items in a circle between my bags, the AH and the mailbox until they finally sold.

Never again. I don't generally gamble on anything in games or IRL, and obviously I shouldn't have even done it the once. Whatever it is that I want from the store, I happily pay for either in credits or plat, often in multiples, but I won't ever pay for the ridiculously low chance to get something from a mystery box.

Trion, please don't make us feel like we'll never have a chance for the good stuff because it's locked behind low drop chances in gambling boxes that cost money over and above what we pay for patron status. That's just not fun as a gamer, and it's not an admirable way to do business as a company.
    Last edited by Sylvaene; 09-20-2014 at 06:21 PM.

Dimensions on Wolfsbane

Apothecaria Lyceum & Retreat
    Weaver's Rest
    Setting the Scene Contest Entry: Lucy Looks into a Wardrobe

I agree completely with the OP. In my case, I've bought the boxes. Given the last couple were total junk, I don't think I'll be doing it again. I would much rather just pay more for the items that I want.

The ability to do that would be a nice patron boost. If there must be boxes, have them for the non-patrons while patrons can just buy the nicer stuff directly

YES. This:
    Quote Originally Posted by Velaxis View Post
    Dimensioneers are guaranteed customers. They always want things to build with. They will pay for that. So please, to add my voice to many that have cried out before, in the future, and in the light of a new expansion, can we just have items on sale in the store?
    I never bought a randombox, and never will.
    Only posting now to add my own vote: NO box-exclusive dimension items please. Thank you.

I have yet to purchase a lockbox and I know I never will. I don't need anything bad enough to put myself through that. Trion has solid repeat business with Dimensioneers and was already milking them for all they were worth, IMO. When I saw they were subjecting Dim builders to the same lockbox ugliness as other segments of their market, all I could do was roll my eyes. Just cheap and tacky as hell.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

I agree with everyone whole heartedly! They need to get rid of the boxes. Put the special items in the boxes on the rift store to sell!

When I first returned to Rift and found dimensions the boxes were 'fun'. They introduced items that either I didn't know about or items that I normally wouldn't buy but found uses for. Out of the 10 or so boxes I bought, I only got my money's worth in maybe 4 or 5 of them. The rest, like others say, is junk that can't be sold on the auction house. I mean really, how many mossy signs & snow covered logs does one need?? I think someone at Trion needs to start listening to its players, because It is us who butters their bread!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast