+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Cristiano
  • 1 Post By Xillean

Thread: Adding Functionality to Dimensions

Default Adding Functionality to Dimensions

Rift has some absolutely incredible dimensions, with some of the best environments I've ever seen in an MMO. My main issue with them, however, is that ultimately they are not very useful. Taking a break from Rift and playing Wildstar for awhile made me long for the type of housing system that Wildstar has. The house itself is pretty similar to the functionality of Rift dimensions, but the overall housing plot offers so much more. You have 6 individual plots in addition to your house that you can build various facilities on. There is a pretty wide range of what can be built, and many of them serve a gameplay purpose.

You can put a crafting kiosk and vendor, plots that let you mine minerals or gather trees of a certain level multiple times a day, a garden that you can plant the seeds you find to get additional reagents, plus a bunch of silly ones that have various challenges in them to allow you to get loot and have something to do on your plot. The items in your house also provide a buff to your resting experience.

There are also all kinds of lighting options for both your house and the overall plot to completely change the feel of the environment. I know Rift has some options now to add effects in dimensions as well, but this is more involved.

I would love to see this type of functionality come to Rift to provide real gameplay benefits to having a dimension. Right now dimensions seem a bit lacking. It would really add a lot to the already high quality dimension feature and take it to another level.

Yeah, that would be very cool - and I wish it would happen.... but I wouldn't think it will. This sort of functionality seems to have been on everyone's wishlist since dimensions happened - and so far, Trion hasn't provided.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

I'm all for new functionality so don't take this as a rebuke, but here's a few things that might help:

- You can buy an object that sets the time of day. If you want midnight or sunrise or anything in-between, you have that option
    - You can buy precipitators and other objects to change the mood of your dimension; add rain, or different types of sky
    - A new system is coming with 3.0 that will allow you to send minions out to do your nefarious deeds. Well, if by "nefarious deeds" you mean "collect me some mats". It's not dependent on your dim, but it's still part of the game

I honestly think that Trion doesn't want people "living" (crafting, etc.) in their dimensions.... which is what craft stations, mailboxes, vendors, bankers etc. would cause.

Mailboxes.... well, patrons CAN have mailboxes, trainers, and so on (short-term).... but not-patrons can't - so that's a thing as regards money. And again, Trion's likely not going there.
    Last edited by Narcise; 09-15-2014 at 06:09 PM.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

I would love for Rift to add some functional dimension items. Such as chairs that you can ACTUALLY sit in. Or the ability to setup a level to drop your guests into an oubliette. That oubliette could open up to a dungeon type atmosphere where you can place NPCs and traps, etc. It doesn't have to be anything remarkable, but those basics would make it so much better. I mean, c'mon, even Runescape has had features like these for ages and that's one of the lowest grade games on the market. I understand it would take some time to program the animation of sitting down, but that alone would open up so many possibilities. The oubliette wouldn't be drastically hard to program as you just need to set a fallout floor dimension item that is stable until you pull the lever which causes an animation and make the floor so you can pass through it. Bam, everyone falls into the pit to whatever you've designed below. NPCs wouldn't be hard since they clearly already exist. A few modifications to that module would allow for that implementation. Traps already exist somewhat in PvP dimensions so it wouldn't be too hard to develop some others.

Idk, I feel dimensions are an immensely neglected part of the game.
    Mortiferous@Laethys
    Guild Leader of Random Aggression

Yes, Mortiferous' Source Engine / Sigil is named after me.

I think they are pretty neglected too. On one hand, there are some amazing environments and a lot of creative possibilities - but it is all just empty. Not being able to sit down in a chair or piece of furniture just seems silly. It makes Dimensions feel like giant, pointless set pieces with no interactivity. The houses in Wildstar aren't a place you spend a lot of time in per se, but I have a reason to return multiple times a day at least. A dimension is something I go to once, think wow this is cool, then never come back because there is no point. That's a shame, as there is a lot of potential for them.

Shadowlander

Default Agreed.

My long standing theory on the 'sticks out like a sore thumb' lack of function in dims is due to them not wanting to have people live there (as someone mentioned above) - but this could be remedied by 'linking dims' and making them otherwise worthwile to visit. Runes of Magic had (has, havent played in eons) cool examples of this.

Telaran

I have been playing this game off and on since Launch but never really invested the time into gameplay because of the fact that none of my friends played the game. I have recently changed that and last night I got my first character to level 50 and purchased my first dimension. While I think they are a great idea I would love to see something useful come out of them. It does not even have to be anything huge. Little things like Extra storage (the more items you place in your dimension the more storage it has) and gain rest XP would go a long way for me in this area.

It does not have to be anything huge like my own personal bank or crafting vendors because I would not want to replace the need for the cities in the game. But the little things I have suggested would make spending that massive amount of money worth it and actually give dimensions in general a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Knikon View Post
    I have been playing this game off and on since Launch but never really invested the time into gameplay because of the fact that none of my friends played the game. I have recently changed that and last night I got my first character to level 50 and purchased my first dimension. While I think they are a great idea I would love to see something useful come out of them. It does not even have to be anything huge. Little things like Extra storage (the more items you place in your dimension the more storage it has) and gain rest XP would go a long way for me in this area.

It does not have to be anything huge like my own personal bank or crafting vendors because I would not want to replace the need for the cities in the game. But the little things I have suggested would make spending that massive amount of money worth it and actually give dimensions in general a point.
    You do gain rested XP in your own dimensions....

I wish they would add mail boxes and the like, but eh Ive given up on seeing it happen anytime soon. I was hopeful we would get the other crafting stations when we got the dreamweaver one but it doesn't look like its happening either /sigh
    Myrmidon Xillean Tormeng, Lord of War
    Dimensions: Planar Study Spec: 61/10/5
    PA: 900 | Score: 11120 | Tradeskills: All Grandmastered
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS Conqueror | 11/11 HK | 2/4 RotP | 1/8 ID
    Characters: Xillean R90, Phantasmal R72, Eylisa R68, Kattie R74

Quote Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
    Rift has some absolutely incredible dimensions, with some of the best environments I've ever seen in an MMO. My main issue with them, however, is that ultimately they are not very useful. Taking a break from Rift and playing Wildstar for awhile made me long for the type of housing system that Wildstar has. The house itself is pretty similar to the functionality of Rift dimensions, but the overall housing plot offers so much more. You have 6 individual plots in addition to your house that you can build various facilities on. There is a pretty wide range of what can be built, and many of them serve a gameplay purpose.

You can put a crafting kiosk and vendor, plots that let you mine minerals or gather trees of a certain level multiple times a day, a garden that you can plant the seeds you find to get additional reagents, plus a bunch of silly ones that have various challenges in them to allow you to get loot and have something to do on your plot. The items in your house also provide a buff to your resting experience.

There are also all kinds of lighting options for both your house and the overall plot to completely change the feel of the environment. I know Rift has some options now to add effects in dimensions as well, but this is more involved.

I would love to see this type of functionality come to Rift to provide real gameplay benefits to having a dimension. Right now dimensions seem a bit lacking. It would really add a lot to the already high quality dimension feature and take it to another level.
    Considered and discussed even before the dimensions feature came out.

Issue of adding a gameplay mechanic like your own farm, your own crafting table, etc... You destroy the population in Open World, granted it's already fairly empty, but majority of players that are into crafting are going to end up inside their Dimensions instead. Main City would feel empty rather than be "Oh wow there're people crafting and stuff" (not really).

This is pretty much what happened with Wildstar, their Open World became super empty and Open World PVP died before it even started. Why bother gathering materials outside when you can gather them safely in your garden?

Even though I've said all of that? I still want something unique for dimensions to "blend" with the game some more. This is probably why I try to build my dimensions around the area itself as if it was an "actual" place in Open World, unfortunately it's not going to be an Archeage or Star Wars Galaxy.

+ Reply to Thread