• 1 Post By BigDaveW
  • 1 Post By BigDaveW
  • 3 Post By Feendish
  • 2 Post By Narcise
  • 3 Post By Shattered
  • 1 Post By Narcise

Thread: Dimensional NPC's would be a nice addition

Default Dimensional NPC's would be a nice addition

I've been playing Rift for about a week now and so far it has been great fun and the Dimensions are the best player housing areas I have come across in a game, as I love to build (even though I am crap at it) but unless you have real people come over, they are ultimately lonely places, what I thought would be good if you were able to buy placeable NPC's with limited animations (or not so limited) such as.

Barman (cleaning a mug or pouring a drink) possible interactive and sell drinks to player
    Tavern wench (sweeping, hold tray with drinks) interactive and you can buy food
    Bard (playing a lute, flute with the abilitie to add you own tunes similar to LOTRO)
    Juggler (juggling Duh!)
    Patron (sitting drinking, eating, playing cards)
    Townsfolk
    Guards (Salute you when you pass by them )
    Soldiers (practising sword play, archery etc)
    Farmers (raking or planting seed)
    Wood cutters, miners etc etc etc

Well you get the idea all these could have simple animations and make the dimensions feel occupied. Of course this maybe totally impracticable, but hey one of the game devs may think it's a cool idea.

Regards
    BigD

There is a bartender already - Nico, think you can get him either on the store (in Interactive), or from one of the vendors in Tempest Bay, or maybe both.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Thanks Narcise, I found that out after my post, but he is just one person, imagine if you could make your space seem alive with various NPC's, I reckon it's a great idea, but then again I would

And I am amazed at the lack of responses, I thought there would at least be a whole pile of people telling me I'm speaking out of an orifice not normally associated with speech and it would be impossible to do etc etc etc.

So please let me know if this is a fantastic, amazing idea my god! your a damn genius or bloody hell another guy who's played the game for a week and thinks he's come up with another amazing idea, just shoot me now.

Regards
    BigD

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Actually, these are requests that have been made before, and already shot down by the devs, along with pathing animals (like our ever-growing collection of pets and mounts), fish and other creatures.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Bugger how disappointing, well it looks like 200 nico bartenders then, at least no one that does drop in will be short of a drink.
    Thanks Feendish

Regards
    BigD

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Actually, these are requests that have been made before, and already shot down by the devs, along with pathing animals (like our ever-growing collection of pets and mounts), fish and other creatures.
    Not to mention better/more building blocks, working mailboxes/crafting stations/auctioneers etc. And SITTING.... And real "running water" bits instead of producing "creeks" with the waterfall stuff.... I could go on and on.

*sigh* I used to mod Oblivion - and the stuff you could do there.... well, you can't do it here, and doesn't look like happening ever.
    Last edited by Narcise; 09-07-2014 at 05:03 PM.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Not to mention better/more building blocks, working mailboxes/crafting stations/auctioneers etc. And SITTING.... And real "running water" bits instead of producing "creeks" with the waterfall stuff.... I could go on and on.

*sigh* I used to mod Oblivion - and the stuff you could do there.... well, you can't do it here, and doesn't look like happening ever.
    I will never stop hoping for more building blocks. I will never stop asking for Greywood Planks, either.

As far as crafting/mail/AH, the concern has been that having these in dimensions would empty out the main cities, although by the numbers I see AFK parked around the port in TB, I would argue against that one.

I'll never speak against new water features. Making running water out of waterfall curtains has been known to elicit spates of excessive cursing in my house, at least. There's a handful of rocks, plants and landscaping up on the PTS for 3.0, so I'm definitely hoping more will show up, relatively soon.

Next week's livestream (Friday 12 Sep. @1330 PDT on Twitch) is supposed to be about crafting, minions and dimensions.

There's a 14 page wishlist thread for dimensions, offered by the community. Here's to hoping that some of these, at least, are implemented.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    I will never stop hoping for more building blocks. I will never stop asking for Greywood Planks, either.

As far as crafting/mail/AH, the concern has been that having these in dimensions would empty out the main cities, although by the numbers I see AFK parked around the port in TB, I would argue against that one.

I'll never speak against new water features. Making running water out of waterfall curtains has been known to elicit spates of excessive cursing in my house, at least. There's a handful of rocks, plants and landscaping up on the PTS for 3.0, so I'm definitely hoping more will show up, relatively soon.

Next week's livestream (Friday 12 Sep. @1330 PDT on Twitch) is supposed to be about crafting, minions and dimensions.

There's a 14 page wishlist thread for dimensions, offered by the community. Here's to hoping that some of these, at least, are implemented.
    Well, I didn't precisely cuss while making a creek etc. in Three Springs, but I wasn't exactly complimentary....

I don't have the bw for the livestream. But those who do, go guys! Give 'em hell!

If there can be a bartender, why not the others? If they basically stand in one place, what's the issue?

I need a gardener. And I would love to have the Bard that plays that lovely tune during Summerfest!
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post
    If there can be a bartender, why not the others? If they basically stand in one place, what's the issue?

I need a gardener. And I would love to have the Bard that plays that lovely tune during Summerfest!
    Yep. 100% agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Shattered View Post

Thats exactly what I thought, there are tons of NPC's standing around in the cities and towns with small animations, how hard can it be to make them placeable, maybe the Dev's just aren't up to the task ( Oh! dear I seem to have thrown my gauntlet on the floor, any Dev's care to pick it up )

Regards
    BigD

We have a bartender now all we need is a town drunk to go with it!

Or we could just steal Diva's from her Dimension Addicts Dim

Default Agree Completely

I would be perfectly happy with NPCs that just stand there. If some could sit, I would be ecstatic. In the mean time, I summon bankers, trainers, etc. on occasion just to keep it from being so barren. However, they poof in a few minutes.

From a development point of view, I'd really like to understand the roadblocks and reasons why NPCs that stand there aren't doable in light of Nico, bankers, trainers, and the failed dimensional engineer that some people have from not turning in the quest.

There's also a Guild Questgiver available; he looks like a old general in chainmail, standing behind a table that has a large map on it. 300 plat, IIRC., but worth it

NPC's would definitely be an improvement I think. Dimensions are very cool, and it's great to see all the amazing ideas people come up with. But I think that a lot of dimensions would look a lot more 'alive' with npc's (including critters/pets/farm animals and such). Only yesterday I found out that I could've had a failed dimension engineer. As someone that's only been playing for a few months I had no idea that was possible. And now I'm not going to delete all the work I did on my Stillmoor dimension, and level back to 52

+ Reply to Thread