+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Morte Nera: Greybriar

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Default Morte Nera: Greybriar

I wasn't going to post about this, then I changed my mind, then I changed my mind again, then I...you get the idea.

This was a build I really struggled with. The theme changed at least three times, from a miniature city, to a tithing barn, and finally, to a small village chapel.

Morte Nera:  Greybriar-2014-08-30_211353.jpg

From 1348-1350, it's estimated that 25% of the total global population was lost to the Great Plague, or Black Death. In Mediterranean parts of Europe, where the plague first made entry into Europe, it's estimated that there was up to an 80% population loss, mostly among the peasantry, and some of the hardest hit were the priests that usually took care of the sick. Entire villages might be wiped out, and bodies were still being found from these ghost towns years later. So many people died that a major cultural shift took place that paved the way for the Industrial Revolution.

There goes my history lesson for this month. The church is not really accurate for an Italian church from the Middle Ages (it was customary at the time to bury corpses beneath the floor of the church, for one thing), it's just my own version of capturing a scene.

I hope visitors enjoy their stay, and don't drink the water.

Dimension: Morte Nera
    Owner: Littlefeendish
    Shard: Greybriar
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

RIFT Fan Site Operator DimensionDiva's Avatar

Feendish combines breathtaking beauty and a touch of sadness in a dimension that is amazingly creative. Gorgeous elevations, layer upon layer of beautiful landscaping, fantastic water features, a structure to die for (and these poor lost souls did!), creativity and detail throughout. Plus, a fascinating backstory! Superb work. Kudos, Feendish!

My wacky weird (and mostly old) dimensions are tagged (diva) on Wolfsbane, Zaviel,
    Brutwacht, and Gelidra. I love to visit dimensions, so please invite me to see yours!

Thanks, Diva....I suppose that might even make up for the BONK you gave me for breaking down one of my PvP dims.

Baradara@Greybriar

Plane Touched

I will be checking that out later on!

Did you know that only the important/rich people were burried in the church floor. Ofc the bodies would smell a bit and hence the expression: "stinking rich". I am not sure that is an english expression as well, but it is here

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlann View Post
    I will be checking that out later on!

Did you know that only the important/rich people were burried in the church floor. Ofc the bodies would smell a bit and hence the expression: "stinking rich". I am not sure that is an english expression as well, but it is here
    Yes, it is an English expression as well, along with "filthy rich". I did not know about it only being rich people, but it's really not much of a surprise.

I just remember being in Italy in an old church, and asking someone what the stuff on the floor (the markings of those buried) was, and trying to find a clear place to stand when they told me.

Baradara@Greybriar

This is a gorgeous landscape that captivates the viewer. And the chapel part is so dark and sad I knew it was a monument of something tragic even before I noticed the skeletons.
    Beautiful work.

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    breaking down one of my PvP dims.
    You did WHAT?!

Quote Originally Posted by Seyler View Post
    This is a gorgeous landscape that captivates the viewer. And the chapel part is so dark and sad I knew it was a monument of something tragic even before I noticed the skeletons.
    Beautiful work.

You did WHAT?!
    Thank you.

I broke down Disorientation, since it didn't even use half the item limit of a fully upgraded Endless Eclipse and the entry point constantly bugged. What a waste! Better to use that EE for one of my fantasy landscapes since there's collision very high on the mountains and on the spikes of the outer platforms to be able to anchor the entry point.

My intention is to make another Anywhere and use it there, so I can have the entry be at ground level, and I'll only need to upgrade through T4. With that, there won't be so much cursing as I try to keep the base dimension out of my arena.

Baradara@Greybriar

The landscaping is so beautiful in this dimension....and I really loved those windows in the old chapel. But most of all I loved the "history lesson" that went with it. Very interesting story with a beautiful representation
    Dimensions on Faeblight:
    Gatekeeper's Christmas Cottage, Faerwood Cottage, Sunrise Cottage, Moonglow Cottage (Nym)
    Ozark Mountain Christmas ( Aedrexa)
    Dream Weaver's Palace (Morgeanna)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    The landscaping is so beautiful in this dimension....and I really loved those windows in the old chapel. But most of all I loved the "history lesson" that went with it. Very interesting story with a beautiful representation
    Thank you. I'm a real fan of history, and I can drone on and on and on...

Baradara@Greybriar

Love the history lesson, Feendish.

The Bubonic Plaque as well as the 100 year war fought during the same time, wiped out much of Europe.

I can't wait to check out your dimension, because I know it will be another jewel, just with a slightly darker/sadder theme. I will treat it as a memorial for all those lives lost during that time.

The church is beautiful, I really love the shape of the windows and the landscaping is perfect! Loving the different coloured fogs, they really add to the whole atmosphere of the dimension
    Dimensions on Gelidra EU: Horror House -The Crypt - Blossom Hill - What the Hell...? - Echo Falls - This is Battery Acid, You Slime! - A Beautifully Decorated What..?! - Bad Santa - Bates Motel - Christine - Butcher Bob's II - The Remake
    NEW!
    Mountain View

You've captured the mood perfectly here, I especially enjoyed the pathways and landscape you created in this one, and finding the abandoned church had me curious of the story, I visited this before the history lesson but knowing the backstory now adds even more depth.
    Last edited by Nouvae; 09-02-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrona77 View Post
    Love the history lesson, Feendish.

The Bubonic Plaque as well as the 100 year war fought during the same time, wiped out much of Europe.

I can't wait to check out your dimension, because I know it will be another jewel, just with a slightly darker/sadder theme. I will treat it as a memorial for all those lives lost during that time.
    Thank you so much, sight unseen. A memorial is pretty much how it's intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralitza View Post
    The church is beautiful, I really love the shape of the windows and the landscaping is perfect! Loving the different coloured fogs, they really add to the whole atmosphere of the dimension
    Thank you! Pretty much all my remaining fogs went into use here, with everything but the green fog turning purple under the Death Sky anyway. I started out with an Earth Sky, but the cherry trees against the purple...I don't know how I never noticed that before, maybe because I'm not usually much of a fan of the Death Projector.

I'm definitely looking forward to Autumn Harvest now, with a revised list of things to pick up this year, with foggy pumpkins at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouvae View Post
    You've captured the mood perfectly here, I especially enjoyed the pathways and landscape you created in this one, and finding the abandoned church had me curious of the story, I visited this before the history lesson but knowing the backstory now adds even more depth.
    Thank you. Back story does help provide context, particularly when you're going more for sadness in a build and not trying to be creepy.
    Last edited by Feendish; 09-02-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Baradara@Greybriar

Sight now seen... and the mood weight heavy on me. You really did a great job to convey the darkness of those "dark ages" (even though that period was much earlier, yet, after all the devastation, it felt as if Europe was plunged into a new Dark Age).

I love all your building forms, especially the window frames and the Clock tower. Your landscaping and the path leading up to the abandoned church is very well laid out! Love the fog and the purple sky. I bet this is how it must have felt in certain areas... devoid of life, with a heavy sadness hanging over the land.

Beautiful dimension, well done again, Feendish!

A nice and mysterious place you created there ! I was about to pray when i saw the corpse on the bench! oO

Cant log back into Europe servers due to update diffrence of a day but its worth it !

Click here to see Our new Guild Dimension! Halls of Elevation @ Typhiria
    Or here to see Temple of Trials on Foofi@Typhiria

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast