+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By echoesofeternity
  • 1 Post By Seyler
  • 1 Post By echoesofeternity

Thread: Mage's Observatory (Plaza Aurentine, Faeblight)

Default Mage's Observatory (Plaza Aurentine, Faeblight)

The "companion" dimension to Mage's Study, unimaginatively called Mage's Observatory, is now finished/abandoned/whatever you want to call it. It is supposed to be a continuation of the previous dimension (accessed by going through one of the two doors in its upper hallway), with similar architecture and lighting.

Mage's Observatory (Plaza Aurentine, Faeblight)-mages-observatory-khadris-faeblight-resized.gif

Without additional lamentations over item limits, I'll just say that this has somewhat more spartan furnishings, and some of the seams between the walls and blocks are inexcusably sloppy, which I'm supremely unhappy about.

There is a planar telescope, gazing into what appears to be the plane of fire, a rather boring hallway with a collection of weapons on display, and a roof access stairwell. The view is of Tempest Bay, and the dimension is mostly meant to give a sense of place to Mage's Study. I tried to design it and place it in such a way that you can imagine the other one existing without clashing too much with the architecture around it (which even clashes with itself a bit since I don't think the Tempest Bay rooftops were designed to ever be seen from this height).

Do note that you can fall or jump off the left and right sides of the balcony, in which case you'll have to reenter the dimension (or just explore the rooftops until you get bored). The reason I didn't use invisible tiles is that they block the camera, so you can't really pan around, zoom out to look at your character through the windows, and so on. If anyone has any kind of a solution to this, I'd love to hear it. I tried putting invisible tiles at a height where you couldn't jump over them, but a) you could still jump over them on a mount, and b) they still blocked lower camera angles. So be careful!

Relevant data:

Dimension: Mage's Observatory (Plaza Aurentine)
    Character: Khadris
    Shard: Faeblight

Album link:

http://imgur.com/a/seGc3#0

If you can think of any neat thematic additions that won't kill the item count too much (it's full but I can lower it a bit by rearranging the grass pieces and other fluff), feel free to share any ideas, the place seems kind of empty to me right now!

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofeternity View Post
    The "companion" dimension to Mage's Study, unimaginatively called Mage's Observatory, is now finished/abandoned/whatever you want to call it. It is supposed to be a continuation of the previous dimension (accessed by going through one of the two doors in its upper hallway), with similar architecture and lighting.

Attachment 19698

Without additional lamentations over item limits, I'll just say that this has somewhat more spartan furnishings, and some of the seams between the walls and blocks are inexcusably sloppy, which I'm supremely unhappy about.

There is a planar telescope, gazing into what appears to be the plane of fire, a rather boring hallway with a collection of weapons on display, and a roof access stairwell. The view is of Tempest Bay, and the dimension is mostly meant to give a sense of place to Mage's Study. I tried to design it and place it in such a way that you can imagine the other one existing without clashing too much with the architecture around it (which even clashes with itself a bit since I don't think the Tempest Bay rooftops were designed to ever be seen from this height).

Do note that you can fall or jump off the left and right sides of the balcony, in which case you'll have to reenter the dimension (or just explore the rooftops until you get bored). The reason I didn't use invisible tiles is that they block the camera, so you can't really pan around, zoom out to look at your character through the windows, and so on. If anyone has any kind of a solution to this, I'd love to hear it. I tried putting invisible tiles at a height where you couldn't jump over them, but a) you could still jump over them on a mount, and b) they still blocked lower camera angles. So be careful!

Relevant data:

Dimension: Mage's Observatory (Plaza Aurentine)
    Character: Khadris
    Shard: Faeblight

Album link:

http://imgur.com/a/seGc3#0

If you can think of any neat thematic additions that won't kill the item count too much (it's full but I can lower it a bit by rearranging the grass pieces and other fluff), feel free to share any ideas, the place seems kind of empty to me right now!
    Your pics look great, not empty at all. I will definitely be coming around to visit tomorrow since right now it's half past stupid-thirty (hmm...wonder where I got that phrase...;-)) and I am badly in need of sleep!

Just came from visiting, and I am simply blown away. It is incredible what you were able to do with this dimension. Now I am looking at empty Plaza Aurentines with new eyes....LOL. What an amazing talent you have! Keep building! I want to see more!!

Totally amazing work. It's a perfect continuation of your previous dimension and I was feeling like I just left that one through one of the doors that led me to this. I marveled at all the delicate details of the walls, floors and even ceilings, everything is so well thought out and carefully placed, I love it! I can't even imagine how you found this part to build in, but it was genius, the built parts are integrated so seamlessly with the base that it's impossible to say where one ends and the other begins, it's like it's always been like this. Love the circular windows, and the view is gorgeous! seeing all those rooftops, it gives that "big-city" feel (even some details like the drying clothes) and the upstairs garden is lovely. I think that what you felt lacking in your previous build, you certainly succeeded in manifesting in this one.

Nice job! I like how you have linked the two. The lighting tones in both of your Mage's dims is wonderful---very deep and rich feeling.
    Dimensions on Faeblight: Far From Anywhere ** Serenity Vale ** Throne of Snow ** Herr Frankenstein ** Bride of Frank N. Stein

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire
    Now I am looking at empty Plaza Aurentines with new eyes
    Quote Originally Posted by Seyler View Post
    I can't even imagine how you found this part to build in
    If you're interested, you can break out of the tiny Plaza Aurentine bubble with an elevator and fly around it on the Dimension Tools table, the actual dimension is pretty big compared to the bubble part, you could technically even build at the main Tempest Bay square or in the rooms around the porticulum. Although, when you reach that point, it doesn't have the floors and collision detection anymore so you'd have to fix that by putting tiles just beneath the floor (or invisible tiles).

There are in fact a few more spaces like this on the rooftops, but the view from them is usually problematic in some ways (you either get floating towers in the distance because the buildings they're on disappear due to object distance limits, or there's a lot of hollow rooftops without the upper side that you have to fill yourself, or there are just randomly placed objects that clash with each other etc.) so I picked this one.

One thing that I wanted to make in this that I, again, didn't get to due to item limits and other issues, was the main entrance to the "building complex". I originally wanted to do this (a place similar to a hotel reception area/apartment complex lobby) in the small room you get with the vanilla Plaza Aurentine (the Tempest Bay crafting room), and make an elevator to the apartment from there, but somehow there is a completely impassable barrier in the upper part of that room.

A similar barrier exists in all Tempest Bay rooms (at around 3/4 of the room height) I've been able to enter with elevators/DT table.

Anyway, if you're willing to experiment with elevators to find a decent spot, you could technically build a room, and quite a large one at that, or multiple small ones, inside a lot of the Tempest Bay buildings (they're mostly empty and just have the outer facades) and then either have an elevator break through to the roof or to another spot that you can exit from. This is especially doable with the building directly above the Tempest Bay cherry tree stairs, which is completely hollow.

Soulwalker

I had a similar idea as yours for Breach Chamber (mine was more of a steampunk theme but eerily similar)

Mage's Observatory (Plaza Aurentine, Faeblight)-2014-08-10_190442.jpg

I ditched it after touring yours (which is amazing). Now I have to tear it down and come up with something else.

Will check this one out tonight

+ Reply to Thread