+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree533Likes

Thread: Contest: Setting the Scene

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Default Contest: Setting the Scene

Let's shake up those summer doldrums with a new contest!

The Challenge: Setting the Scene. This can be a movie, a television series, a book, a piece of RIFT lore (and RIFT lore only, because that’s the game we’re playing), comic books, or fairy tales. NO real history or modern settings unless it takes place within a fictional parameter.

What does it boil down to? A snapshot of a particular scene, within the above parameters.

The catch: No dimension is off limits. No dimension item is off limits. However, it wouldn’t be a Feendish contest without some limitation, so here it is: the item limit is 1500 items, regardless of the dimension used.

Deadline: Entries close at Noon PST on Friday, 03 October, 2014. To find out what time that means for you, here's a time zone calculator. Winners will be announced no later than Noon PST on Friday, 10 October, 2014.

The Prizes:
    First Place: 10 REX (Yes, you read that right)
    Second Place: 8 REX
    Third Place: 6 REX

One entry per account
    This contest is open to ALL shards, NA and EU

The Rules:

This contest is for personal dimensions only.

Collaborations are not permitted.

This contest is for new dimension builds only. A teardown of an existing dimension and rebuild are acceptable. PvP dimensions will be accepted, if they fall within the criteria of the contest.

All dimensions will remain closed until contest end date of 03 October, 2014, at Noon PST.

All entered dimensions must have an end item limit of 1500 items or less or the entry will be disqualified.

Entries that are still closed after 5:00 PM PST on 04 October, 2014 will be disqualified.

Entries received after Noon PST on 03 October, 2014 will not be accepted.

Fairy tales ARE allowed. RIFT lore IS allowed, but only RIFT lore. Any lore entry from any other game will not be accepted.

All correspondence will occur here, on the main RIFT game forums. Emails sent through the DTC blog will not be accepted, in game mail entries will not be accepted. If you’re a lurker, come out and join us, we don’t bite! Honest! Well, maybe Diva does...

If using game lore, it must be something that can be verified, not the RP background of your character. This can be story quests, epic story quests, raid lore, dungeon lore, soul quests, etc. To make an entry from a quest line, use the name of the quest chain for the entry.

To Enter:

Entries should be follow this format:

Name: Shopsmart

Shard: Greybriar

Entry: Army of Darkness

My entry is for the scene where Ash has just gotten out of the pit where he fought the Deadite and holds up his shotgun to yell: “ Listen up, you primitive screwheads, this is my BOOMSTICK!”

This is so I and any other judges can check the accuracy of each entry. The description should be brief. Keep in mind that I and any other judges have not read every book, seen every movie or TV show in existence. Greater detail for obscure and older references may be required.

Do NOT post screenshots of your entry with the entry.

Judging Criteria:

All criteria will be measured on a point scale, with the highest scores winning the prizes, without averages, between judges. Ties, if there are any, will be broken by majority vote between judges.

Accuracy of the scene is paramount. This is the largest part of the criteria.

Attention to detail is key. This ties in with accuracy, and the little things count.

Structural quality; i.e, straight walls, no gaps, mismatches or flicker, stairs that don’t catch, etc.

If the setting is open-air or environmental, the environment should match that of the scene, so choose the base dimension carefully. Transformations are not a judging criteria of this contest, so no bonus points will be awarded for a transformation.

For people and animal figures, realism counts.

Bonus points will NOT be awarded for this contest. This contest is morph-friendly, however, the overall accuracy of the scene will outweigh any inventive and complicated morphing.

Remember...

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I would hate for an entry to get disqualified just because someone didn't understand the rules.

The only stupid question is the one that didn't get asked.

Happy Building!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Remove the REX prize... LOL 10 rex... you won't get 5 people to partake in this contest.

Still great idea! I wont participate but looking forward to see what people build.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacknwack View Post
    Remove the REX prize... LOL 10 rex... you won't get 5 people to partake in this contest.

Still great idea! I wont participate but looking forward to see what people build.
    How do you think most dimension builders pay for the building?

Baradara@Greybriar

Awesome contest, I look forward to entering

Question: Are scenes in video games accepted?

Quote Originally Posted by Solaura View Post
    Question: Are scenes in video games accepted?
    That's a good question, but unfortunately, unless it's RIFT, the answer's no.

Baradara@Greybriar

AWESOME. I am so excited this is great. Was waiting for a new contest. Funny thing is I was actually thinking of making my next build about a book.

Quote Originally Posted by Hacknwack View Post

That is where your wrong I held ~Jokes on You~ it had 0 prizes and we had way more then 5 people enter.

Contests are awesome! So happy you are doing a new one!!
    I am so floored by your generosity and strong commitment towards this community. Your last contest had a terrific effect and I hope this one will as well. I hope to see masses of new builders come out and show their work, and then hordes of touring alts visiting every shard at the end : )
    The prizes are delicious and tempting, mmmmm.... but if you maybe need more judges to help out, I offer my services (For selfish reasons, I'd love to see the previous judges build something for this contest!)

you won't get 5 people to partake in this contest.
    Feendish's last contest had more than 30 final accepted entries, just so you know.

Default Thank you for the contest

OMgosh! this is just what I needed Feendish! My son and his new Wife are leaving today to go back to Colombia and this contest just put a huge smile on my face. My brain is already trying to find a story to use but I need sleep first been up all night making soup......for Breakfast......
    Last edited by Rynraff; 08-08-2014 at 02:42 AM.

I haven't joined in with one of these yet so perfect time to start and I have the perfect book in mind, and the perfect dimension to go with it, now just to pick a scene and get working. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Jaedia | Mage | Gelidra

MMOGames: MMO news & review site
    Eternal Dawn Gaming Community

Shadowlander

Very great idea....I'm so happy

I read the theme and have sooooo many ideas in my head....it's a hard choice.^^

I hope you get a lot entries, like the last contest.
    Raluar - Brutwacht (EU)
    Schurkenhain, New Ellensford, Vineta, Paradise Valley, Cabin in the Woods, The same procedure as last year?, Lovely Cottage, Sanctuary of the Sacred
    “Our heads are round so that thoughts can change direction - Francis Picabia”

Woot! Got my thinking cap on! I think this is perfect timing for another contest, and hopefully we'll see a mass of tourists and new builders like we did in your last one.
    Thanks Feendish for putting on yet another awesome contest
    Dimensions on Gelidra EU: Horror House -The Crypt - Blossom Hill - What the Hell...? - Echo Falls - This is Battery Acid, You Slime! - A Beautifully Decorated What..?! - Bad Santa - Bates Motel - Christine - Butcher Bob's II - The Remake
    NEW!
    Mountain View

Yay! Even though I have never submitted an entry for any contest I love looking at all of the contest entries! I'm so excited! Thank you so much for hosting another contest Feendish!
    Last edited by Kalrei; 08-08-2014 at 07:23 AM.
    Dimensions on Deepwood: Kal & Kok's Island * BeetleJuice * Star Trek * Don't Cross The Streams * Gothic Haven * Yabba-Dabba-Doo * Fallout Vault 101 * Gothic Manor

Woop! So happy that you're putting together a new contest and with such a generous prize! I'm gonna have to think about this one, it will be my first contest I will try to enter Good luck to everyone and looking forward to seeing some amazing builds!
    You think I'm not online. But I'm always here. Even if I'm not posting. I'm here. Scrolling. Judging.

So pleased and thrilled by the responses so far--and it's only the first day!

I'm really looking forward to seeing some first time entrants.

@Seyler: If you'd rather judge this time, I'd be grateful and honored to have your help. I'll shoot an in-game mail to your Greybriar ninja...er, dwarf.

Baradara@Greybriar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast