+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Mage's Study (Breach Chamber, Faeblight)

Default Mage's Study (Breach Chamber, Faeblight)

I've been working on my first dimension for some time now, and I guess it's about the right time to post it. It's supposed to be a major portion of a Tempest Bay penthouse/highrise apartment inhabited by a Bahmi mage, so it's filled with various occult items, a multitude of books, a captive undead, an alchemy workstation, a magitech rift generator, and things of that nature. Some areas have been abstracted in the form of closed doors.

Mage's Study (Breach Chamber, Faeblight)-mages-study-khadris-faeblight-resized.gif

The dimension isn't actually finished as much as it is abandoned, since I hit the item limit way too soon for everything I planned, such as a separate storage area (with a basement-like atmosphere) and a "roof" access elevator going to an area with a telescope, with towers and rooftops visible in the distance. Unfortunately, that is not to be, and the inability to realize even this small scale concept fully has discouraged me from any further building in Rift.

If you want to check it out in person, here's the relevant data:

Dimension: Mage's Study (Breach Chamber)
    Character: Khadris
    Shard: Faeblight

And an album with a few screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/7MZDq#7

Any suggestions appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by echoesofeternity View Post
    I've been working on my first dimension for some time now, and I guess it's about the right time to post it. It's supposed to be a major portion of a Tempest Bay penthouse/highrise apartment inhabited by a Bahmi mage, so it's filled with various occult items, a multitude of books, a captive undead, an alchemy workstation, a magitech rift generator, and things of that nature. Some areas have been abstracted in the form of closed doors.

Attachment 19096

The dimension isn't actually finished as much as it is abandoned, since I hit the item limit way too soon for everything I planned, such as a separate storage area (with a basement-like atmosphere) and a "roof" access elevator going to an area with a telescope, with towers and rooftops visible in the distance. Unfortunately, that is not to be, and the inability to realize even this small scale concept fully has discouraged me from any further building in Rift.

Your pictures are fantastic! I'm coming to visit!!

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your discouragement.

Very nice dimension, however.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Default Amazingly well done...

I just finished touring your dimension and I can't say enough good about it. The pictures, as nice as they are, do not do it justice. It is very elegant and well thought out....I especially love that wonderful bed!

But for you to stop building with this one dimension would really be a shame. I did not feel your dimension was lacking in any way whatsoever by not having the other things that you had planned. I would urge you to get a larger dimension next and let that wonderful imagination lose on it....and build the basic things first before adding details, that way you are more likely to find out early on if you'll be able to work everything in with the existing item count. Don't give up on your ideas, just think about using them in two or more different dimensions instead of all in the same one. I certainly don't mean to downplay your frustration, just offering a tiny bit of advice and hoping it helps

Pictures look amazing! It's hard to believe this is your first dimension. My first one was a far cry from yours. It was raw and basic LOL

I agree with Foxfire. Don't let this discourage you. Breach Chamber is a small dimension and you will find amazing freedom if you move to a larger dim, where you can realize your dreams. You have a great eye for placing items and a wonderful imagination. I can't wait to see what you will do with a bigger dimension!

I'll stop by your Mage's Study tonight!

Thanks for the kind comments, in retrospect I have to admit that I spent a huge amount of items on drawers, knobs, baseboards, etc. But the problem with Breach Chamber is that it has all that wilderness and hills all around when you break out of it with an elevator, so to get to a high enough vantage point that you can properly hide all that and simulate a city skyline, you'd have to use at least 2 elevators. So with all the items for the elevator shaft(s), possible hallways between elevators and the actual rooftops, there's no way that it could've fit even if those were removed.

In the meantime I discovered that Empyrean Mill might be better for that concept, since there's a lot of empty space around it, but there's still the item limit issue. And it doesn't have proper windows inside so it feels very claustrophobic.

The only way I can see how to solve this would be to split the whole thing into multiple dimensions. Does anyone know how high the bubble goes (or if it's possible to break out of it like it is in EM and BC) in dimensions that already have some Brevanic architecture placed on higher points (like Bogling Boggle for example)?

Thanks for the kind comments, in retrospect I have to admit that I spent a huge amount of items on drawers, knobs, baseboards, etc. But the problem with Breach Chamber is that it has all that wilderness and hills all around when you break out of it with an elevator, so to get to a high enough vantage point that you can properly hide all that and simulate a city skyline, you'd have to use at least 2 elevators. So with all the items for the elevator shaft(s), possible hallways between elevators and the actual rooftops, there's no way that it could've fit even if those were removed.

In the meantime I discovered that Empyrean Mill might be better for that concept, since there's a lot of empty space around it, but there's still the item limit issue. And it doesn't have proper windows inside so it feels very claustrophobic.

The only way I can see how to solve this would be to split the whole thing into multiple dimensions. Does anyone know how high the bubble goes (or if it's possible to break out of it like it is in EM and BC) in dimensions that already have some Brevanic architecture placed on higher points (like Bogling Boggle for example)?
    Take a look at an Auditorium Carnos Plaza dimension. I don't know how high the bubble goes, but out of curiosity I plunked down my Sagespire Tower in there and rode up without encountering the barrier. There is also Brevanic architecture visible from one side that makes a rather interesting view. You would have to create your own structure as the existing ones in there are quite small, but you could add on to part of the existing structure to make your own private building. I actually did that in one of mine that is currently closed and slated to be remodeled one of these days, and had quite a bit of fun doing it. This dimension has a 1200 maximum item limit.

I also checked out Strozza Estate Villa, and Dolcega Valley the same way, and those two have some pretty impressive views. Didn't run into the upper barrier in those, either. The only bad thing about Strozza is it costs 200 lucky coins to get. But if you can get it, and want to see what can actually be done with it, visit Baradara's and Ruby's dimensions on Greybriar I couldn't think of any larger ones, but maybe someone else will have an idea too.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, so keep us informed here!

Just want to say I enjoyed visiting your dimension, it's beautifully done, the architecture is fantastic and the aesthetics is a real pleasure to the eye. One might argue you got lost in the details but my opinion is that in dimension building the details are everything. Nice work!
    I hope you will build many more.

I have to drop into this one tonight, I love Mage themed dimensions, great screenshots, it looks wonderful!

That is a gorgeous dimension. I sure hope you decide to build more!!

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Attachment 19096

Only Suggestion: Don't be discouraged!

It's your first build, understanding capacity now you'll be able to nail things even better and might be pleasantly surprised I have a guide on my website (Dimensions for Dummies) with all the Dimensions and their capacities in it. Now you have the perfect guideline.

Dimension Tools Add On has Tribal Magic built into it giving you the ability to fly around any dimension to check out its boundaries (or use as scaffolding) there is also Magic Carpet but it's difficult using the ochre rug in the smaller dimensions - building outside of them is not recommended as you may lose items and it also has impact on the server. I'm sure someone will have one empty you could take a look in.

Here is an old interview I done in an Emperyon Mill whose builder also created different levels in it:
    Saitis – Saitis’s Labyrinth Arena

For a first build (your dimension is crazy amazing, lots of great detail so meticulously placed are you sure it's your first? I like how you put your pic up also (moving like that) first time I've seen it on this forum.

Attachment 19528

Cheers.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 08-04-2014 at 07:51 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Oops broken link had to re-post sorry!

Attachment 19533

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Tribal Magic built into it giving you the ability to fly around any dimension to check out its boundaries (or use as scaffolding)
    I've been using this in the dimension I'm currently building and it's great, can't quite wrap my mind around how it can move the table under you and allow you to move items simultaneously though!

Anyway, I ran into a problem. It has to do with the lighting. In Breach Chamber, the lighting is naturally yellow/orange/warm, and I'm trying to replicate this in another dimension (that's supposed to be the extension of that one so the architecture and lighting should be similar).

It doesn't really work. I've tried medium orange/yellow/warm lights and they kind of sort of work but a) you have to put up a lot of them because the light radius is rather small, which again kills my item count, and b) the light behaves very weirdly and doesn't seem to take dimension items into account at all, it just goes through them. Is b) normal behavior of light items or is this a bug of some sort? Do large orange/yellow/warm lights exist? Haven't seen any on the AH.

Now for the WTB part: would anyone happen to have one of these (Armor Rack, but the standing one, not the wall one) on Faeblight? AH has very few dimension items left after the change... I'm also looking for either the Typhiria's Willbreaking Needle artifact or someone who has the entire set and could buy a few items for me (it's the Souvenirs from Tower of the Shattered dimension trophy set, with those Brevanic Facades of various shapes).

Thanks for any advice/help!

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

I've been using this in the dimension I'm currently building and it's great, can't quite wrap my mind around how it can move the table under you and allow you to move items simultaneously though!

Anyway, I ran into a problem. It has to do with the lighting. In Breach Chamber, the lighting is naturally yellow/orange/warm, and I'm trying to replicate this in another dimension (that's supposed to be the extension of that one so the architecture and lighting should be similar).

It doesn't really work. I've tried medium orange/yellow/warm lights and they kind of sort of work but a) you have to put up a lot of them because the light radius is rather small, which again kills my item count, and b) the light behaves very weirdly and doesn't seem to take dimension items into account at all, it just goes through them. Is b) normal behavior of light items or is this a bug of some sort? Do large orange/yellow/warm lights exist? Haven't seen any on the AH.

Now for the WTB part: would anyone happen to have one of these (Armor Rack, but the standing one, not the wall one) on Faeblight? AH has very few dimension items left after the change... I'm also looking for either the Typhiria's Willbreaking Needle artifact or someone who has the entire set and could buy a few items for me (it's the Souvenirs from Tower of the Shattered dimension trophy set, with those Brevanic Facades of various shapes).

Thanks for any advice/help!
    A good warm light that would come pretty close to simulating Breach Chamber's might be the Everglowing Pagoda Lantern, but they're kind of pricey. However, it will also take a lot less of them than Dreamweaving lights because they have a higher lumens.

Lights tend to not have collision, they will penetrate walls and items in many cases, but you can dim them a bit by embedding them in another item.

I have a couple of the regular armor racks on Greybriar, you can hit me up in game on Whatchacallit@Greybriar or Baradara@Greybriar and invite me to your storage dim to drop them off.

I can also buy the Tower of the Shattered artifact set trophies on Baradara, and I keep a tourist on Faeblight. I sell at cost, so whatever the items are on the store, that's what they'll run, if you can't find someone there.
    Last edited by Feendish; 08-12-2014 at 04:35 AM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Try the orange brevane lights, they seem to have a pretty large radius. Torches will also cast a warm glow that reflects off of other materials well, but cover a smaller area.

If I recall, both armor racks are made by armorsmiths. Pretty sure I can craft them, but am not on FB.

Shalistiri Mirage : The Light in the Dark : Camp Catari : Dwarven Ladies Club: RP - The Basilicini of Bahralt : Lycini Townhouse : Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater : The Paarrrrsing Deck : Fuji Dojo : Cherry Breeze Estate on Faeblight

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast