+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: I'm trying to set up some "garden plots" at Three Springs

  1. #1
    Shadowlander Westerly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default I'm trying to set up some "garden plots" at Three Springs

    New (very....) to dimensions, and have written a bit of roleplay regarding my Guardian Ascended who's retired now and has built her "perfect home" at Three Springs. I need some "turned earth" garden areas - and while there are similar in the game, I don't seem to be finding them for dimensions (cf Eliam Fields - they aren't actually "raised rows" but that's the idea) - I've attached a small (and not very good) screenshot of what I'm looking for.

    If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it, thanks!
    Attached Images  

  2. #2
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    First off, welcome to dimensions.

    Secondly, to match the patch of ground that you've pictured, you'll have to either make it out of other items, or improvise.

    Some items that you might be able to use to simulate that kind of ground: Ember Isle Overgrown Palm Tree turned upside down, a Mining Cart with Ore, with just the top parts of the ore sticking out, the underside of a Mossy Outcropping (the undersides are a very dark green, so it won't be quite the same), and various other rocks, used in any kind of combination to make the overall picture that you want to make.

    Best suggestion is to check out the pictures from the Dimension Addicts database, and you might see something there that will help you create what you're after.

    Another thing that might help create your effect: A Ravaged Earth Terrain Paint, but this will also affect nearby building blocks as well. Bogling Leaf Beds might also help to create a garden effect for you, but won't quite have the turned earth look.

    Hope this helps!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel


    Baradara@Greybriar

  3. #3
    Shadowlander Westerly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Thank you Feendish. I very much appreciate the suggestions. I'm used to having the "already in-game" stuff available for use for building (coming from TES) - so thinking about utilising something totally different for this sort of thing is a new idea. My daughter mentioned the terrain paint - but I've not got to that point in dream weaving yet (gathering everything I'll need before buying the Transcendent Sphere....) as well as perhaps the wood poles or some of the brick things....

    I need to play around I think - though I hate to just play around when it costs currency.... I'm sometimes cheap - though I am perfectly happy to spend as much on this game as I did for seven years on WoW.... an average of $100 or so a month. It's just that I'm not sure if I buy things if there will be somewhere else to use them if they don't work out!

    Yeah, I know.... I waffle!

    And I have visited After the Storm - very impressed with it!
    Last edited by Westerly; 07-04-2014 at 05:42 PM.

  4. #4
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Westerly View Post
    Thank you Feendish. I very much appreciate the suggestions. I'm used to having the "already in-game" stuff available for use for building (coming from TES) - so thinking about utilising something totally different for this sort of thing is a new idea. My daughter mentioned the terrain paint - but I've not got to that point in dream weaving yet (gathering everything I'll need before buying the Transcendent Sphere....) as well as perhaps the wood poles or some of the brick things....

    I need to play around I think - though I hate to just play around when it costs currency.... I'm sometimes cheap - though I am perfectly happy to spend as much on this game as I did for seven years on WoW.... an average of $100 or so a month. It's just that I'm not sure if I buy things if there will be somewhere else to use them if they don't work out!

    Yeah, I know.... I waffle!

    And I have visited After the Storm - very impressed with it!
    Thank you!

    Well, the EI Palm Trees are fished, and the mining carts are crafted, so those are some very affordable options--plus while fishing you should also pull in some other things that may be very useful now or later on (the overgrown Garden is one of my favorite items). If you complete the Nug Quest Chain in Seratos and Morban (I have no idea what level you are, so forgive me if you're only like level 12), things like the leaf bed and some awesome lights will unlock for super cheap prices (38 gold for some of the best lights in the game).

    Most items have multiple uses. As someone who hoards everything, I have found myself using items that I have would have suspected in ways that I never thought I would, so everything you pick up will likely be useful at some time.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel


    Baradara@Greybriar

  5. #5
    Shadowlander Westerly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Oh, West (the toon I'm doing dimensions and dream weaving on for the present - this one I'm posting on AAMOF) is only 28 - but I do have a level 51 who's getting along pretty well, so if the stuff from the Nug etc. vendors isn't BoP, that would work.

    I'm a pack rat myself - IRL as well as in game. *salute*

  6. #6
    Plane Walker Treble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    441

    Default

    You might try a rusty pointed boulder, although they aren't very big, you can rotate them around to have a flat-ish area.

    Shalistiri Mirage : The Light in the Dark : Camp Catari : Dwarven Ladies Club: RP - The Basilicini of Bahralt : Lycini Townhouse : Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater : The Paarrrrsing Deck : Fuji Dojo : Cherry Breeze Estate on Faeblight

  7. #7
    Shadowlander Westerly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Treble View Post
    You might try a rusty pointed boulder, although they aren't very big, you can rotate them around to have a flat-ish area.
    That's a thought.... I think that making the largish areas for gardens is not going to work the way I had envisioned though. This is because of the limit on items (and I perfectly understand why there's a limit!) - and the fact is that when I thought I'd be able to plop a couple of "turned earth" areas down I was thinking of them as "one thing/item each" which isn't the case; so if each plot takes 50 or 100 "things" - well, that's a lot to use on something that's not germane to the dimension other than as a prop to a bit of roleplay.

    In other words, thank you everyone for the ideas (that includes my daughter - who gave me a few ideas as well as prompting me to post herein) but I'm going to rethink some things before spending anything on bits/time on fishing etc!

    You've all been very kind; I appreciate the "niceness" here!
    Last edited by Westerly; 07-05-2014 at 06:35 AM.

  8. #8
    Shadowlander Westerly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default And perhaps.... it won't be taken amiss if I post the RP setup here, considering....

    Retirement was supposed to be quiet....

    Funny how that worked out - or didn’t, as the case may be. I spent a lot of years trying to put Telara back together.... didn’t work all that well for the most part since neither faction could be bothered to make any attempt to see both sides of that coin.

    Now I have no problem seeing both those sides - good and bad, clean and dirty. Am I a fine upstanding Defiant Ascended? Well.... maybe. That’s one of those “neither black nor white” things I’m always preaching on. Add to that the fact that for all I eat, drink, breathe - you can basically call me “undead”, since I was brought back to life to stop Regulos by returning to the past - here I am, retired and still looking about twenty. That causes folks some issues.

    Some wiseacre I have NO idea how long in the past said “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Or maybe: "Witchcraft to the ignorant, simple science to the learned." One or the other, probably both.... You know, I’m pretty sure that wiseacre was a smart person in his or her own frame of reference (or would that be plane?) - but, well.... Today we have not only science and magic; we also have entities we’re supposed to believe are gods. I’m not into gods....

    Okay, right. None of that has anything to do with what was supposed to be a nice calm well-deserved retirement. Well, it does, but perhaps only tangentially.

    Anyway, I spent all my spare coin for fifteen years or so building this place. It’s exactly what I wanted it to be. I have my workshop, my gardens, and my animal friends. I grow enough that I don’t have to pay for anything other than an occasional luxury - yes, I also hunt for meat, skins, and so on. I’m perfectly happy to butcher instead of buy.

    I laid things out on parchment first, way back in the planning stages. I wanted to be sure I didn’t stick something in the wrong place, then have to do all the grunt work to take it out and put it where it was really supposed to be; I used a LOT of Vidu’s parchment, and man did she gripe about it. Still, the parchment was way cheaper than the actual building! And since she’s currently sleeping one off on the upper deck.... well, I just don’t want to hear it.

    By the time I had enough coin saved to really start the building I also had things laid out where they fit the best, and where - for instance - the flies from the stable wouldn’t be helping me eat breakfast in the morning. It’s the little things that count you know.... So I started picking up the materials, calling in favors from my Dream Weaver friends, that sort of thing. It’s not all coin, obviously - though I suppose you can call it the coin of reciprocation!

    I retired six moons back about. I spent a whole seven-day just sleeping. Now THAT was a retirement benefit! So is the draft to my bank every week, simply because I was a deserving officer in the Catari’s ranks, not to mention one of the Defiant Ascended. Then I woke up early on the eighth day - to find a damned RIFT right on top of me!

    I spent MOONS watching this area just to track the number of rifts. It was averaging less than one every two moons. I could deal with that - and the rifts that spawned were usually off in the distance a bit; far less issue than the lightning storms when I needed to craft something.

    After that first one though, they’ve been constant. There’s one every couple of days at minimum, and occasionally two or three a day. I’m out here by myself, since I have a preference for, mostly, my own company; well, yes, there’s Vidu - but she’s generally incapacitated by drink, and Veil or Fin - or one of the other of my mates from the service, sometimes a couple at a time - but they’re here to relax not close the bedamned rifts!

    /grumble.... So far my gardens are fine, and the well isn’t fouled. One CAN ask for more.... but this one probably hadn’t better the way things are going. *sigh* Got rid of old Reg all right, but hell - why didn’t he take the rifts with him then? Too bad Orphiel took himself off to wherever the new version of techno-fun is found. He’d be pretty useful I think....
    Last edited by Westerly; 07-05-2014 at 04:56 PM.

  9. #9
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    Very nice story, thanks for sharing!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel


    Baradara@Greybriar

  10. #10
    Shadowlander Westerly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Thank you kind sir (or madam)!

  11. #11
    General of Telara Foxfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    957

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Westerly View Post
    Retirement was supposed to be quiet....

    Funny how that worked out - or didn’t, as the case may be. I spent a lot of years trying to put Telara back together.... didn’t work all that well for the most part since neither faction could be bothered to make any attempt to see both sides of that coin.

    Now I have no problem seeing both those sides - good and bad, clean and dirty. Am I a fine upstanding Defiant Ascended? Well.... maybe. That’s one of those “neither black nor white” things I’m always preaching on. Add to that the fact that for all I eat, drink, breathe - you can basically call me “undead”, since I was brought back to life to stop Regulos by returning to the past - here I am, retired and still looking about twenty. That causes folks some issues.

    Some wiseacre I have NO idea how long in the past said “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” Or maybe: "Witchcraft to the ignorant, simple science to the learned." One or the other, probably both.... You know, I’m pretty sure that wiseacre was a smart person in his or her own frame of reference (or would that be plane?) - but, well.... Today we have not only science and magic; we also have entities we’re supposed to believe are gods. I’m not into gods....

    Okay, right. None of that has anything to do with what was supposed to be a nice calm well-deserved retirement. Well, it does, but perhaps only tangentially.

    Anyway, I spent all my spare coin for fifteen years or so building this place. It’s exactly what I wanted it to be. I have my workshop, my gardens, and my animal friends. I grow enough that I don’t have to pay for anything other than an occasional luxury - yes, I also hunt for meat, skins, and so on. I’m perfectly happy to butcher instead of buy.

    I laid things out on parchment first, way back in the planning stages. I wanted to be sure I didn’t stick something in the wrong place, then have to do all the grunt work to take it out and put it where it was really supposed to be; I used a LOT of Vidu’s parchment, and man did she gripe about it. Still, the parchment was way cheaper than the actual building! And since she’s currently sleeping one off on the upper deck.... well, I just don’t want to hear it.

    By the time I had enough coin saved to really start the building I also had things laid out where they fit the best, and where - for instance - the flies from the stable wouldn’t be helping me eat breakfast in the morning. It’s the little things that count you know.... So I started picking up the materials, calling in favors from my Dream Weaver friends, that sort of thing. It’s not all coin, obviously - though I suppose you can call it the coin of reciprocation!

    I retired six moons back about. I spent a whole seven-day just sleeping. Now THAT was a retirement benefit! So is the draft to my bank every week, simply because I was a deserving officer in the Catari’s ranks, not to mention one of the Defiant Ascended. Then I woke up early on the eighth day - to find a damned RIFT right on top of me!

    I spent MOONS watching this area just to track the number of rifts. It was averaging less than one every two moons. I could deal with that - and the rifts that spawned were usually off in the distance a bit; far less issue than the lightning storms when I needed to craft something.

    After that first one though, they’ve been constant. There’s one every couple of days at minimum, and occasionally two or three a day. I’m out here by myself, since I have a preference for, mostly, my own company; well, yes, there’s Vidu - but she’s generally incapacitated by drink, and Veil or Fin - or one of the other of my mates from the service, sometimes a couple at a time - but they’re here to relax not close the bedamned rifts!

    /grumble.... So far my gardens are fine, and the well isn’t fouled. One CAN ask for more.... but this one probably hadn’t better the way things are going. *sigh* Got rid of old Reg all right, but hell - why didn’t he take the rifts with him then? Too bad Orphiel took himself off to wherever the new version of techno-fun is found. He’d be pretty useful I think....
    I LOVE your story! Hope there will be more later...?

  12. #12
    Shadowlander Westerly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default

    @Foxfire:

    Oh, there's plenty more cooking in the back of my mind. The names in the bit of tale there are my "alt-sisters" - they'll be appearing off and on, Ascended all; and since some of them are Guardians, there's the dichotomy that's mentioned, the "not all black and white".... (and the other part of that dichotomy is that no matter she's actually a Guardian, in the story in my mind, she's a Defiant - and I've always felt she was a Defiant even before I changed her to look like one.... I have NO CLUE what's up with that....)

    In my mind, the Ascended manage to recognize that no matter which way they were reborn, they're still all here to keep Telara ticking along.... And since it's my story, heh....!

    The next "chapter" will have some more bits of backstory, and some of the things that have happened while the building was going on in "my" occasional absences. I was already a bit iffy about posting it here (though I did hope no one would mind) - but if you want to read more as it happens so to speak, I'll probably repost in the RP forum (I think there is one of those?)

    And thank you for the kind words!
    Last edited by Westerly; 07-06-2014 at 02:27 PM.

  13. #13
    Shadowlander Westerly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default Decided just to put the next bits here - the other fora didn't seem really apt....

    It’s nice this morning, after a fair rain - with lots of thunder and lightning - around midnight. Sitting here on the front deck with breakfast and an early ale, I’m seeing the bees are busy about their labors - planting that white clover was a good idea. Come the fall I’ll have honey for my bread and cakes....

    I remember sitting here when there wasn’t a house, just lines scratched on the dirt. I could see the house, the greenhouse, the garden, the stables - all in my mind. Those grapevines I planted before there was ever a fenced garden area - the ones Vidu laughed over - have now matured and given me some bottles of decent red, which I don’t let her run through too fast for obvious reasons. Yes, she’s sleeping another one off on the upper deck. I know why she drinks, but I wish she’d do the serious imbibing somewhere else - like HER home.

    I never thought I’d be growing fancy plants and flowers for ladies in Tempest Bay though, in my greenhouse. That’s a development for which I was unprepared - and almost unable to deal with. I finally managed to grasp my luck with both hands before it chose to gift someone else, but it was a near thing....

    Here’s how it went down. One of my local suppliers of - please do NOT laugh - manure was unloading his cart of said piles of odoriferous but lovely fertilizer a year ago this spring. When he was done I gave him an ale, and asked how his daughter Tesha was doing (she was a Centurion, at the time posted to someplace even I’VE never been - and there are damn few of those....)

    Rolaf said she was doing fine, but had moved out to Tempest Bay some months previous. He was a bit down in the mouth - that’s an even LONGER way from him than she was already - and she’s his only living relative, so I could certainly understand why he was unhappy. I did my best to cheer him up, though it didn’t seem to work very well. Finally, I realized he was staring at the bare greenhouse building.

    “Rolaf, what’s the problem - you’re looking at my greenhouse as if it has hives - and NOT the bees!”

    “Nah lady.... Was just ‘membering what Tesha said in her last letter - there’s some high ladies in that there Tempest Bay that was pokin’ and proddin’ at her ‘bout the places she’d been and the plants in ‘em. Like they was wantin’ t’ know could she get ‘em some of them fancy plants to put in thur houses. ‘N Tesh was sayin’ too bad she didn’ know someone with a way to grow stuff from those out o’ the way spots....”

    His voice faded into silence, and I looked at him a bit surprised. “Ah, so then, you looking at my empty greenhouse - you think I would be the one to grow fancy plants for fancy ladies?”

    He grinned, his lack of teeth not bothering him one bit. “Wull.... ye ain’ filled it with nothin’ yet! Might as well see can you n’ Tesh make some money on her idee.”

    “Hmm. I don’t know, Rolaf. I’m better with things people eat, not sniff or stroke or just gaze at.”

    “Wull. Think on’t. I’ll brung ye ‘nother load in a seven-day.” And he headed off to his little farm, a happy if lonely man.

    It was more like two seven-days before I saw him again. This time, he had Tesha with him. They shoveled the crap out of the cart into the walled-off area where I keep it, then came up to the front deck. I passed around ales, and propped my feet up. “Tesha, how are you liking Tempest Bay?”

    She grinned. “Oh, it’s a treat, it is! Far too gussied up for the likes of me, but I’m enjoying it - the people-watching is what will give you the giggles, you know! Oh, right - you DO know!” And we snickered together a bit, with Rolaf looking bemused from one of us to the other.

    She sobered. “Da said he mentioned the plants to you?”

    “Yes, he did. I just don’t know though....” I frowned a bit, and she took that as a flat “no” apparently.

    “There’s a real market for plants from places up here. Those big fancy houses down there - they’ve all got indoor gardens, conservatories they call ‘em. They want things that aren’t like everyone else has already. The stranger the better.... I think there’s real good money in it. Had one lady tell me she’d pay me 100 plat to get her a ‘monkeypod tree’. Now, I don’t really know what one of those is or where it grows, but maybe you do?”

    My eyebrows climbed toward my hairline. A hundred PLAT for a tree? My attitude underwent a sea change as I saw bright plat coins....

    “Tesha, we’d have to work out a business model. I’ve never done anything like this - we’d need someone to do the bookkeeping.... Oh. Hmmm. There’s one of my mates just retired and at loose ends.... she was always good at figures. I’ll talk to her. You’d need to do the selling though - if I never see Tempest Bay again it will be too soon!”

    She nodded. “What I need to do first though - find out what plants these women are wanting - and if you can actually grow them. That could take a few months....”

    “Yes. It could. Now, how are you fixed for living expenses while you do the legwork? I can front you some....”

    “Thanks, but I’m fine. I left the service on very good terms, and I’m still doing some - ah - ‘consulting’. If I get stuck, if you could send me a bit - but I don’t think it’s a problem.”

    So that’s how I got into the “upscale nursery” business. And it’s working quite well - after a few painful issues in the beginning. Absolutely amazing what people will pay for things that are a bit different....

  14. #14
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    Thanks for sharing again.

    I laughed at the part about 100 plat for a tree...

    Then I stopped to think about it.

    Great story.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel


    Baradara@Greybriar

  15. #15
    Shadowlander Westerly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Thanks for sharing again.

    I laughed at the part about 100 plat for a tree...

    Then I stopped to think about it.

    Great story.
    Heh. Yeah, actually I too laughed about the plat even as I wrote it - and then, considering, I *winced*.

    I'm having a LOT of fun, not only with the game but with Three Springs - and with the story explaining it. Most fun I've had since my PennMUSH days. Yes, I did truly love WoW for a very long time - but it didn't really give me any ability to create.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts