• 3 Post By Seyler
  • 1 Post By Feendish
  • 2 Post By Foxfire
  • 3 Post By Foxfire
  • 2 Post By Foxfire
  • 2 Post By Bridgit

Thread: Dimension Entry Points

Default Dimension Entry Points

I remember when these were first introduced, there were problems with them, but I had assumed that they had been fixed. I've never used one myself, but I tried to visit two dimensions, one last night, and another tonight and couldn't get either of them to work. Last night was Seyler's Breaking Bad dimension, and just now Feendish's Crowned by Stars dimension. I set my graphic settings to the lowest p[ossible, thinking that would let things load faster and maybe let me "land" where I was supposed to, but that didn't work either.

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this now? I think both the ones I tried were placed on water in case that has anything to do with it. I just know I ended up underneath the build and couldn't find a way up. Does anyone know a work around?

Shadowlander MonDeath of Typhiria's Avatar

Sorry to go offtopic but.. You can set entry points for your dimension? O.O

Quote Originally Posted by MonDeath of Typhiria View Post
    Sorry to go offtopic but.. You can set entry points for your dimension? O.O
    Yes, there is an interactive item in the store you can buy and place in your dimension at whatever location you want people to zone in...or at least that is how they are supposed to work

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

The only thing I've ever found to work is to keep trying. I've visited some dimensions where it's taken four, five and six attempts to get everything rendered enough so I can zone in at the right spot, especially when a lot of effects are also right there at the entry. Marly's dims have always given me a lot of grief, and one of my own EE builds that uses the entry point. Edge of Infinity, for whatever reason, is still one of the worst dimensions for reliability of the entry point, along with Shoreward Island.

One thing you can do, if you fall through, is stay in, and wait for it to render, then leave and come back. Chances are good at that point, you'll be able to land where the builder intended. Jumping as soon as the loading screen fades also helps.

I can't speak for others, but I do know that putting a building block (such as any kind of tile), will help for things that take longer to render like, for example, the Ashoran Mountains, placed directly beneath the surface of the mountain so it will hopefully catch people before they have a chance to fall (provided they don't take off running as soon as the loading screen goes away).

Is any of this ideal? Not at all. Not even a little bit. I normally don't like putting the Entry Point too high, for this very reason. That inconsistency is also why I don't like using it too much anyway if the new entry is off the main surface of the base dimension, but for the rebuild of Crowned by Stars, it was sort of necessary, so I'm sorry you had difficulty going in. If you ever do make it in, I'd be interested to hear what you think about it.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this now? I think both the ones I tried were placed on water in case that has anything to do with it. I just know I ended up underneath the build and couldn't find a way up. Does anyone know a work around?
    This issue was fixed by Pithos I did just test to see if the old issue has reoccurred but it hasn't for me.

Currently though we have massive things happening across the network that "maybe" effecting other things like Ability Lag has been effected. I wonder if this is the case for you?

Thanks for the feedback Foxfire. The entry for my Breaking Bad was doing the same for me about half the times I zoned in. I tried putting several other things under it, but it didn't help. I guess it's time I move the entry point to somewhere onto the surrounding mountains. I don't have many visual effects in there but I do have a lot of ashoran rocks that are huge.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seyler View Post
    ...a lot of ashoran rocks that are huge.
    Yes, and I've noticed that these rocks often take a bit longer to render than regular terrain, which is why I put the tile right at the entry of Crowned by Stars. I run a high end computer and still have issues at times, but I haven't experienced it in this dimension yet, so I also appreciate the feedback.
    Last edited by Feendish; 07-03-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    The only thing I've ever found to work is to keep trying. I've visited some dimensions where it's taken four, five and six attempts to get everything rendered enough so I can zone in at the right spot, especially when a lot of effects are also right there at the entry. Marly's dims have always given me a lot of grief, and one of my own EE builds that uses the entry point. Edge of Infinity, for whatever reason, is still one of the worst dimensions for reliability of the entry point, along with Shoreward Island.

One thing you can do, if you fall through, is stay in, and wait for it to render, then leave and come back. Chances are good at that point, you'll be able to land where the builder intended. Jumping as soon as the loading screen fades also helps.

I can't speak for others, but I do know that putting a building block (such as any kind of tile), will help for things that take longer to render like, for example, the Ashoran Mountains, placed directly beneath the surface of the mountain so it will hopefully catch people before they have a chance to fall (provided they don't take off running as soon as the loading screen goes away).

Is any of this ideal? Not at all. Not even a little bit. I normally don't like putting the Entry Point too high, for this very reason. That inconsistency is also why I don't like using it too much anyway if the new entry is off the main surface of the base dimension, but for the rebuild of Crowned by Stars, it was sort of necessary, so I'm sorry you had difficulty going in. If you ever do make it in, I'd be interested to hear what you think about it.
    Yay, I finally made it in there! And it is positively breathtaking! The new music box is perfect for that dimension, and I love your use of the blue stained glass projections among other things too numerous to mention. Beautiful, beautiful, amazing work. It truly looks like a place created by the gods

As far as the entry point, instead of water, I found myself on top of one of the Ashora rocks just like the ones in Seyler's dimension so maybe those are the problem? I just know when I fell through It looked like I was in water, but maybe the water was underneath the rocks. Maybe using different building blocks, like a stack of 2 or 3 cubes instead of a tile would help fix the problem? I took your advice though, and I think that is what made things finally work

Quote Originally Posted by Seyler View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Foxfire. The entry for my Breaking Bad was doing the same for me about half the times I zoned in. I tried putting several other things under it, but it didn't help. I guess it's time I move the entry point to somewhere onto the surrounding mountains. I don't have many visual effects in there but I do have a lot of ashoran rocks that are huge.
    Glad you moved it, I did get in to see it this morning with no problem at all I have never seen the show, Breaking Bad, but I thought your dimension was awesome anyway. That RV is really something!! And I love those lawn chairs!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    This issue was fixed by Pithos I did just test to see if the old issue has reoccurred but it hasn't for me.

Currently though we have massive things happening across the network that "maybe" effecting other things like Ability Lag has been effected. I wonder if this is the case for you?
    Actually, I think the problem is that it still really is not completely fixed, at least for some people like me. My computer was high end, but 2 years ago, and I had to replace the graphics card a while back with an older one when the existing one went out. I haven't gotten around to getting a better one for it yet since this one is adequate most of the time. From this most recent experience it looks like the Ashoran rocks may have caused the issue. I have been doing a lot of touring lately, and most of the time I don't have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Thanks, Feendish, for the tip on jumping... haven't tried that but will if I find I'm having a problem. There are a couple dims I've had a lot of trouble viewing because of this. And I found myself in the drink once day before yesterday.

BTW, Crowned by Stars is awesome!!! I didn't think I'd like it more than the original, which was a personal favorite of mine since, at the time, it was a real eye-opener for me in terms of what was possible. But I was wrong about that... it's even more stunning than the original and, AGAIN, an eye-opener in terms of what's possible.
    Dimensions on Deepwood:
    Crone Hill, Chapter One of the 'Verse, Rest in Peace,
    das Hausboot an Stehenden Hacke

+ Reply to Thread