+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree214Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: The Dimension item limit needs an increase. EQ Next looks like a good replacement.

Soulwalker

Default The Dimension item limit needs an increase. EQ Next looks like a good replacement.

The item limit on dimensions is too limited. Building a house or a mansions, hell... even a tavern, can already take up 2000 items if done well. Keeping this in mind. I think an item limit of 5000 is the lowest RIFT should limit dimensioners. RIFT must keep in mind that dimensions bring in loads of cash from buyers of dimension goods. However, many dimension fanatics are quitting RIFT due to its unreasonable dimension limit. For instance, I talked to my skilled and artistic dimension friend Gorgeous about the item limit. We agreed that if this limit moves on throughout the launch of EverQuest Next, we would quit RIFT promptly. She was willing to spend much more on the game, but her ideas were not complete. Now that EverQuest Landmark Beta is out... I haven't seen Gorgeous online for weeks. As soon as Landmark releases. I will transfer all my work in RIFT over to Landmark. I am sorry but the item limit is way to depressing for me, and my grand ideas have been crushed. Dimensions are large places. 2000 items is likely to take up a very small portion of that dimension. Why play a game limiting you in an enclosed space where you don't have the freedom to build as much as you want in that enclosed space? Devs gotta figure out how to run RIFT's servers and have a item limit more than double of what they have now. Not to sound rude but... the current item limit, in an overall perspective, is pathetic. We need more space to work with. An unfinished dimension is so bitingly depressing. Can you help us dimension lovers out while at the same time increase your income rates RIFT? I think it is a win win situation. I think that it might be a good time to prioritize getting the servers to run more smoothly with a much higher item limit. All of this isn't just my opinion. I am sure that many others stripped of their amazing ideas, due to an "item limit", would agree. Thanks and happy dimensioning in in-completion.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Khaylan View Post
    The item limit on dimensions is too limited. Building a house or a mansions, hell... even a tavern, can already take up 2000 items if done well. Keeping this in mind. I think an item limit of 5000 is the lowest RIFT should limit dimensioners. RIFT must keep in mind that dimensions bring in loads of cash from buyers of dimension goods. However, many dimension fanatics are quitting RIFT due to its unreasonable dimension limit. For instance, I talked to my skilled and artistic dimension friend Gorgeous about the item limit. We agreed that if this limit moves on throughout the launch of EverQuest Next, we would quit RIFT promptly. She was willing to spend much more on the game, but her ideas were not complete. Now that EverQuest Landmark Beta is out... I haven't seen Gorgeous online for weeks. As soon as Landmark releases. I will transfer all my work in RIFT over to Landmark. I am sorry but the item limit is way to depressing for me, and my grand ideas have been crushed. Dimensions are large places. 2000 items is likely to take up a very small portion of that dimension. Why play a game limiting you in an enclosed space where you don't have the freedom to build as much as you want in that enclosed space? Devs gotta figure out how to run RIFT's servers and have a item limit more than double of what they have now. Not to sound rude but... the current item limit, in an overall perspective, is pathetic. We need more space to work with. An unfinished dimension is so bitingly depressing. Can you help us dimension lovers out while at the same time increase your income rates RIFT? I think it is a win win situation. I think that it might be a good time to prioritize getting the servers to run more smoothly with a much higher item limit. All of this isn't just my opinion. I am sure that many others stripped of their amazing ideas, due to an "item limit", would agree. Thanks and happy dimensioning in in-completion.
    First of all Landmark and EQNext are two separate games.

Second of all Item Limit is here for a reason and as much as I'd like to see it raised like anybody purely because I'm part of that "more is better right?" lifestyle I actually enjoy how creative Dimensions teach me to be by building smarter not always bigger.

And thirdly.

This subject happens on average monthly (that I will continue to chime on in about in tradition also in case someone might be inspired to try their hands at a 400 item Dimension and see if they can create something spectacular if they haven't yet.) Not bad really in the large scheme of things as many continue to enjoy them. I have Trailblazed Landmark since Day 3. I smiled that the tools were familiar to me thanks to Trion. I also appreciate the differences and how far it has come but Landmark is not even live yet and has the luxury of concentrating just on building with more to come, one is also a Sandbox, one is a Theme Park - two completely different genres and because of the "familiarity" I am proud to be a part of Rift & Dimensions that I have no doubt has helped other games make great decisions as many MMORPGS moved to place housing in their playgrounds after Dimensions were introduced in November 2012. I hope you will have more fond memories than faults no matter your decisions.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post

Second of all Item Limit is here for a reason and as much as I'd like to see it raised like anybody purely because I'm part of that "more is better right?" lifestyle I actually enjoy how creative Dimensions teach me to be by building smarter not always bigger.
    Kiwi, I like you, but the argument "wheee being limited makes you more creative!" makes me sooo mad anytime I read it -_- Let's face it: if you want to build from scratch you either limit yourself to something small, or you leave most of the stuff you build empty/closed off; and it's frankly pitiful to go visit some amazing structural dimension, then tour the inside of the buildings and see them empty -_- It's not a matter of being smarter when building blocks come into the equation.

I almost stopped building recently because of the item count... it's simply depressing. I kept hoping for an increase, but during yesterday's twitter chat Faratha wrote that there aren't plans for increases, and this honestly made me think about trying out landmark too (as much as I dislike its graphics... so cartoonish -_-)

Regarding technical limitations (or, "the item limit is there for a reason"): if guild dimensions can go up to 4k items, why can't personal ones? It's not a technical limitation for g-dims... yeah, yeah, they lag a bit, but builders never care. They could simply have the final upgrade cost an outrageous amount of plats, to push people to buy with rl money, and a lot of people would still be happy to have an increase :\

Lately it's only been awful news for dimensioneers
    Dimension Cheerleader of Zaviel --- waving my pom-poms everywhere awesomeness is ^^

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Snags View Post
    Kiwi, I like you, but the argument "wheee being limited makes you more creative!" makes me sooo mad anytime I read it -_- Let's face it: if you want to build from scratch you either limit yourself to something small, or you leave most of the stuff you build empty/closed off; and it's frankly pitiful to go visit some amazing structural dimension, then tour the inside of the buildings and see them empty -_- It's not a matter of being smarter when building blocks come into the equation.

I almost stopped building recently because of the item count... it's simply depressing. I kept hoping for an increase, but during yesterday's twitter chat Faratha wrote that there aren't plans for increases, and this honestly made me think about trying out landmark too (as much as I dislike its graphics... so cartoonish -_-)

Regarding technical limitations (or, "the item limit is there for a reason"): if guild dimensions can go up to 4k items, why can't personal ones? It's not a technical limitation for g-dims... yeah, yeah, they lag a bit, but builders never care. They could simply have the final upgrade cost an outrageous amount of plats, to push people to buy with rl money, and a lot of people would still be happy to have an increase :\

Lately it's only been awful news for dimensioneers
    I don't see an argument I do however find it odd when people throw other games at developers knowing how passionate the developers are about making them especially (in this not so isolated case) Faratha.

So if I take the time to share about the development of Dimensions having been here from day one fom a fellow gamers perspective, also my experience in both games that's just me ensuring we all have some info because it would make everyone smile no one left and everyone was happy. That's not to say I have ALL the answers or that anyone is wrong but Faratha does keep reminding people as you have also said that it is very difficult to raise item limit for server stability (etc) but the variety of palettes we have to create upon and the items we have to create just keep on evolving.

So ok something doesn't suit, try to fix it, understand it can't so play another game - everyone has a choice and those choices are made for many reasons BUT I will never understand coming to forums and throwing it in the face of people who are doing their best regardless of the game I am playing, what sector of the game it is and whose making it.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 07-01-2014 at 05:20 AM.

BUT I will never understand coming to forums and throwing it in the face of people who are doing their best regardless of the game I am playing, what sector of the game it is and whose making it.
    Mmos take inspiration from one another all the time... and it's a good thing! I've been on Rift since beta, and I know taking features and polish them with an added spin has always been one of the strong points of the game: just to name one, remember when we didn't have a wardrobe? And now we have one of the best wardrobe systems around Or, I don't know... a guild finder? I think Rift got that one just a bit after wow did ;)

I used to talk about the forge in neverwinter, even though that game is mediocre at best, because I think dimensions could become something akin to it, and that it'd be awesome; it was meant as food for thought about possibilities.

It's a fact that many dimensioneers resent the item limit, and it's also a fact that Landmark is showing what you can really do when you don't have certain limitations; so, again, food for thought

Also, Landmark has stolen and will keep stealing disillusioned builders from RIft; there has been a lot of negativity these parts of the forums over the last months. We have a nice community, but it's shrinking... it's a bit depressing reading people being so disillusioned but it's also a way to make devs see what's up, and what's considered valued by players. I didn't take part to all the other complaint-threads but I'm sorry, this is my main concern with dimensions and it's heavily eating away at my enjoyment of building so I couldn't refrain from posting. I usually just lurk...

(Really, you know what do I do in Rift? My time is spent doing the guild quests for my defunct guild, that my bf was so kind to make me gl of so I could get it to lvl 15 just so I could get a higher item count to use. Not that complelling as gameplay, I know... so most of my time is spent playing GW2 instead of buying stuff from the store to build with. I know, I know, you'll scold me now... but Faratha telling about no plans to raise the item count destroyed me)
    Dimension Cheerleader of Zaviel --- waving my pom-poms everywhere awesomeness is ^^

RIFT Fan Site Operator

(Really, you know what do I do in Rift? My time is spent doing the guild quests for my defunct guild, that my bf was so kind to make me gl of so I could get it to lvl 15 just so I could get a higher item count to use. Not that complelling as gameplay, I know... so most of my time is spent playing GW2 instead of buying stuff from the store to build with. I know, I know, you'll scold me now... but Faratha telling about no plans to raise the item count destroyed me)
    Awww I do understand being passionate about Dimensions and how sharing facts can come across as scolding. I also have a Level 22 Guild on Zaviel @ 2k capacity 7465 plat to cap it @ 4k I would gladly let you and solely you build in BUT all my resources are on NA so I don't have the plat ...yep, one of those annoying people who tries to always find solutions. I don't judge anyones game play your time is yours to spend and I hope its always happily spent.

Awww I do understand being passionate about Dimensions and how sharing facts can come across as scolding. I also have a Level 22 Guild on Zaviel @ 2k capacity 7465 plat to cap it @ 4k I would gladly let you and solely you build in BUT all my resources are on NA so I don't have the plat ...yep, one of those annoying people who tries to always find solutions. I don't judge anyones game play your time is yours to spend and I hope its always happily spent.
    OMG, they cost so much to upgrade? darn XD Ah well, seems like I'll try to farm the living light off the new zones when the expansion hits, so I can raise plats for that... or do they have a credit option too?

(caer kholum is 4k, right? It seems easier to completely cover the existing buldings in there than in the other dims, so I can have a clean slate to build on)

I'll keep illogically hoping for a future item count raise, though... sigh

Soulwalker

OMG, they cost so much to upgrade? darn XD Ah well, seems like I'll try to farm the living light off the new zones when the expansion hits, so I can raise plats for that... or do they have a credit option too?

(caer kholum is 4k, right? It seems easier to completely cover the existing buldings in there than in the other dims, so I can have a clean slate to build on)

I'll keep illogically hoping for a future item count raise, though... sigh
    I am right there with you. I will keep hoping until the Everquest Next game launches. But that is all I can and, at this point, am willing to do.

I miss gorgeous, I haven't seen her in weeks and she is my guildie

I think she is playing wow atm though

Dimensions do need an increased item limit.
    RGI@Deepwood --- <-Hello Kitty->
    [A Stick]
    King of Conquest

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rgizil View Post
    I miss gorgeous, I haven't seen her in weeks and she is my guildie

I think she is playing wow atm though

Dimensions do need an increased item limit.
    I hear ya... I miss Gorgeous too, but I don't blame her for leaving. I remember talking to her about this ridiculous item limit, and we really had beef with this low limitation. I do wonder how the new player housing system is in WoW though.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Khaylan View Post
    I hear ya... I miss Gorgeous too, but I don't blame her for leaving. I remember talking to her about this ridiculous item limit, and we really had beef with this low limitation. I do wonder how the new player housing system is in WoW though.
    Afaik it's not really player housing, as in "let's build whatever I want"... more like prefab stuff with no free-style building component at all; their focus is on the minions that go do stuff. So if building's your thing, better look at Landmark instead.

Rule #1 in dim building: Minimum items, maximum effect
    I Rift, therefore I am.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
    Rule #1 in dim building: Minimum items, maximum effect

Which is nice-speak for more long winded rules, like:

- don't use inside walls to build houses: they look less drab but, if you want to have windows, they take twice the item count. Go dreary or go home!

- don't try to make your own greenery patches yourself, because bogling leaf beds are total bitc*es and will eat your item count

- don't expect to pave your dimension in a greenery layer, and have enough item count to build anything meaningful on it. (seriously, everyone that does it have either a mini temple, or a mini house etc)

- water! haha, forget it. If you want to avoid the silly "wheeee, my character is walking underwater" effect, you need to put either invisible tiles or half-bugged trophy items with invisibile backsides underwater, so that at least visiting characters can stay with their heads above water and don't sink. But, oh, beware of the item limit!

- anywhere is only good for mini projects... or prefab buildings

- don't ever build houses that have interesting shapes, because making their roof will eat away at your item count; not my fault if anything different than the ONLY roof we have in the store requires lots of items not to look horrible!

- don't expect to build AND decorate, if your project is more than a little building

- forget about building your own furniture, if you want to build the house too... unless your project is small / you don't mind having half empty buildings

and so on...

Champion

Yes, it would be awesome if the item limits were raised, but my first thoughts after realizing that I'd probably built myself into a corner with my current project were not "I should go to the forum and bash on Trion because the item limits are so small." Seriously, even if there is a real problem with the game, the way to present it is not "Hey Trion, that other game is looking really good, fix this or maybe I'll go over there." If the devs even read a thread like that, the tone is already argumentative, so how can you expect a positive response?

That being said, as a fairly new dimension builder, I'm having some thoughts about item limits as well. My first completed dimension was in Dolcega Valley, and I built a largely open air structure there and furnished the one house, but this time I thought "I just want to build my own house!" and set about doing it in Faen's Retreat.

Three days in, I feel like I'm making a movie that's way over budget and the editing phase is still ongoing and marketing hasn't even begun. My house, while pretty awesome if I do say so myself, has upwards of 300 items already, still needs four sets of French doors at 30 items each along with all manner of other bits and bobs for finishing the structure itself, and of course is quite under-furnished atm. It just kept growing as I thought of different things to do! And it's no fun to downsize... but I'm not sure that 1520 items is enough when 400+ is taken up by my house.

I think my problem is I want to create the whole environment, not just a vignette with the illusion of being part of a whole. The item limits don't really allow for that though, so I spent a while last night thinking in other directions--getting more creative because of those item limits! Yes, I agree with Kiwi that these types of limitations just inspire more creativity. Whether it's the item count or the fact that there are no premade bathtubs or toilets, the limits do foster creativity. It's all in how you look at it.

I have actually never played a game (aside from Landmark alpha and closed beta) that had actual housing with any level of creative freedom without an item limit. There is a reason for it and it's not to annoy us.

I understand the folks who say they are leaving for Landmark--to each their own.... but I can't be the only one who does not understand the comparison. The building and decorating styles are sooooo different. I personally could never see it as a replacement for Rift dimensions.

Everyone leaves games for other games for many various reasons. Landmark may have what seems to be "no restriction" with a free form style, but there is still a trade off... there will be with any game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast