+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Staying Original

Default Staying Original

This is not a complaining thread---lol... but I have to say... it is so hard to stay original with so many amazing dimensioneers!

My abilities are acceptable at best and I'm not the most creative morpher--but it never fails that I'll do something in a dim and then go touring and realize that someone else has done something very similar or even close to identical, that unless subconciously, I haven't seen before---lol.... it's like when you buy a car and suddenly you see everyone in the same exact car even though you swear no one was driving that car before you bought it---haha!

I think I've said it before--I need to buy one of everything and play around--I am so amazed at things I see and go---sheesh I never would have thought to do that--lol.

great minds think alike!!!!

Champion

I think it pays to remember that all art is derivative. All art, not just dimensions. When you create, you will always be inspired by something you've seen, even if only subconsciously.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shalaia View Post
    --but it never fails that I'll do something in a dim and then go touring and realize that someone else has done something very similar or even close to identical, that unless subconciously, I haven't seen before---lol.... it's like when you buy a car and suddenly you see everyone in the same exact car even though you swear no one was driving that car before you bought it---haha!

I think I've said it before--I need to buy one of everything and play around--I am so amazed at things I see and go---sheesh I never would have thought to do that--lol.
    One thing to remember is that we all have the same tools to work with. There are going to be similarities and even duplications no matter what. There are those who deliberately copy, and some are okay with that, others are not, but I think most of it is unintentional and just comes from having the same materials.

More than worrying about being original, I focus on what pleases me about what I or another have created.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvaene View Post
    I think it pays to remember that all art is derivative. All art, not just dimensions. When you create, you will always be inspired by something you've seen, even if only subconsciously.
    Exactly this. One of the best ways to get inspired for a dimension (specifically), is to tour dimensions, and there is usually some sort of standout feature in our favorites that we'll try to emulate whether we realize it or not.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    There are those who deliberately copy, and some are okay with that, others are not, but I think most of it is unintentional and just comes from having the same materials.

More than worrying about being original, I focus on what pleases me about what I or another have created.
    Yes--it's not necessarily that I worry about being original to stand out---I worry about it for the folks who might feel offended if a new person like me is coming in and duplicating what they have done--lol. So when I tour and I see something similar to what I'm currently working on it almost makes me want to switch it upl... again--not for the desire to be original but more for the desire to not offend.

Touring is one of my favorite things to do--I try to find time for it as much as I do for decorating and farming:-)

Yes--it's not necessarily that I worry about being original to stand out---I worry about it for the folks who might feel offended if a new person like me is coming in and duplicating what they have done--lol. So when I tour and I see something similar to what I'm currently working on it almost makes me want to switch it upl... again--not for the desire to be original but more for the desire to not offend.

Touring is one of my favorite things to do--I try to find time for it as much as I do for decorating and farming:-)
    Go figure, I like dimension touring, too.

As far as copying/borrowing goes...ever since dims came out, it's been done. Normally, if you contact the owner of a dimension that has something you really, really like, just ask, and most of the time, they'll say yes. Asking to borrow morphs or expand on ideas is the number one way I met 90% of the people in this community, before Diva and I started the DTC.

Another resource, as I'm sure you probably already know, is always dimensionaddicts.com, with the shared Toolbox sets that are put up with the full knowledge that they will be copied, and most of the sets are really easy to modify for your own tastes as well. I'll be the first to admit, I'm Kitasia's number one fan behind her kick *** stove. My biggest wish as far the sets go is that more people would use it.

Baradara@Greybriar

One of the best ways to get inspired for a dimension (specifically), is to tour dimensions, and there is usually some sort of standout feature in our favorites that we'll try to emulate whether we realize it or not.
    Agreed. I tour when I'm stuck and that's often. You're also right, Feendish, in that most people are happy to let you borrow or expand upon their creations. I know I am for sure.

Once, a while back, I was lamenting to Seyler about how I couldn't think of anything to build. She told me that the world was filled with inspiration. She told me that she finds it everywhere. That day, I stopped looking at my base dimension. I stopped looking in my bank and the store. In fact, I even stopped looking in other dimensions. I just opened my eyes and looked at the world around me. Her words weren't intended as any sort of advice but they did me so much good! Now I can't stop thinking of things to build! If only I had more time.
    Dimensions on Deepwood:
    Crone Hill, Chapter One of the 'Verse, Rest in Peace,
    das Hausboot an Stehenden Hacke

Go figure, I like dimension touring, too.

As far as copying/borrowing goes...ever since dims came out, it's been done. Normally, if you contact the owner of a dimension that has something you really, really like, just ask, and most of the time, they'll say yes.
    I tend to be a worry wart and have been told I'm overly concerned about bothering/offending people.... I don't agree though--I wish EVERYONE was overly concerned--lol.

I have contacted a few folks for permission and I felt good about those connections. I'll do it more. I mean for morphs that seem natural to go together I think everyone has done those--but you're right--I'll just start putting myself out there--lol

While I may post on here---my natural inclination is to be a lurker---I'm a good faker at being socially adjusted;-)

Thanks for the encouragement:-)
    Last edited by Shalaia; 06-20-2014 at 09:58 AM.

Yes--it's not necessarily that I worry about being original to stand out---I worry about it for the folks who might feel offended if a new person like me is coming in and duplicating what they have done--lol.
    I've had similar feelings, I worry that I may unintentionally recreate some item or a theme someone else has already made and in turn offend someone. But as Sylvaene said, art being derivative, I totally agree, just as an example there are a handful of Alice in Wonderland style dimensions around the various shards, but each one has it's own unique feel, and are very much different.

Another resource, as I'm sure you probably already know, is always dimensionaddicts.com, with the shared Toolbox sets that are put up with the full knowledge that they will be copied, and most of the sets are really easy to modify for your own tastes as well. I'll be the first to admit, I'm Kitasia's number one fan behind her kick *** stove. My biggest wish as far the sets go is that more people would use it.
    I love this ability to share sets with fellow builders, I really enjoy sharing some of my creations and I think it would be a nice compliment if someone was to use any of them.

I tend to be a worry wart and have been told I'm overly concerned about bothering/offending people....
    Same here.

I think the only really offensive thing to me is someone posting a picture of something on a website and implying that it is their original work, when it is not. That only happened to me once, and I'm sure the person thought that I would never see it, but I did.

But other than that, I would be very flattered and pleased to have anyone use anything they saw in any of my dimensions, no questions asked. That being said, I have to confess that most of my morphed things are either copied from Riftdimensionaddicts.com, or a modified version of those. I love that you guys are sharing toolsets that we can use and/or modify without feeling guilty so keep them coming, please! It's getting harder and harder to be original these days, I definitely agree with that! I have actually thought I had something original before, and then found a duplicate while out touring....ah well, I guess it's to be expected now since there are so many of us building and using the same items

I have contacted a few folks for permission and I felt good about those connections. I'll do it more. I mean for morphs that seem natural to go together I think everyone has done those--but you're right--I'll just start putting myself out there--lol

While I may post on here---my natural inclination is to be a lurker---I'm a good faker at being socially adjusted;-)

Thanks for the encouragement:-)
    I lurked on these forums for several months before I ever made my first post, so I feel you on that.

As for those connections, I think that's one of my top reasons for continuing to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    I think the only really offensive thing to me is someone posting a picture of something on a website and implying that it is their original work, when it is not. That only happened to me once, and I'm sure the person thought that I would never see it, but I did.
    Yes, that is something I find offensive as well.

Over the past several months, I've seen multiple dimensions on different shards copied down to the last item. What to do, in that situation? A tricky situation. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but come on...

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgit View Post
    Agreed. I tour when I'm stuck and that's often. You're also right, Feendish, in that most people are happy to let you borrow or expand upon their creations. I know I am for sure.

Once, a while back, I was lamenting to Seyler about how I couldn't think of anything to build. She told me that the world was filled with inspiration. She told me that she finds it everywhere. That day, I stopped looking at my base dimension. I stopped looking in my bank and the store. In fact, I even stopped looking in other dimensions. I just opened my eyes and looked at the world around me. Her words weren't intended as any sort of advice but they did me so much good! Now I can't stop thinking of things to build! If only I had more time.
    That Seyler person is pretty smart...

Quote Originally Posted by Nouvae View Post

I love this ability to share sets with fellow builders, I really enjoy sharing some of my creations and I think it would be a nice compliment if someone was to use any of them.
    I do, too. No matter what, it still brings a silly grin to my face when I go to a dimension and instantly recognize a set as one I posted, and I hope others feel the same if they come in one of mine and see a set they uploaded.

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgit View Post
    Her words weren't intended as any sort of advice but they did me so much good! Now I can't stop thinking of things to build! If only I had more time.
    Awwwww Bridgit so sweet of you to say that
    I never thought those words could be useful but I'm really glad if I could help.
    Of course I can't wait to see what you're building!

As for the topic, I agree there are many themes and many morphs that are similar out there, but if what you built is your original idea I wouldn't worry about similarities to others. It happened to me too. Take Kitasia's advice ("Create what makes you happy. Who cares what anyone else thinks.") and take Emerald's advice ("I’d encourage anyone to just build from their heart- make what you love, in the way that makes YOU the happiest.").
    Dimensioning is a passion, not a struggle.

Ever since the beginning people who had never seen each others work have created the same thing. Take Radish and I we both made sweetberrys decorations having never met or seen each others work and they were identical. We saw them when we entered the joys of dimension contest. Sorta why I started following her work. She had the same taste as me.

On the sharing side I do not mind if anyone uses my work feel free if you see something I build even if I dont post it on the site to go ahead and use it copy what ever you like. I love sharing.

I've worried about this a few times too, I worry about everything tho! I think theres a massive difference in copying someones work and taking inspiration from it, and sometimes it does happen that a morph will be almost the same as someone elses unintentionally (we really do only have so much to work with). Personally, if someone asks me to use something of mine i've never said no. Infact I like it alot! I have also asked people to use things they've created too and i've found that, like me, other people actually feel flattered when you like something so much that you'd like to use it. Most of us don't mind sharing!

Certain things tho can't really be avoided. Just because someone else has built a house, doesn't mean that you can't build a house right? Same goes for other things like villages, towns, citys, taverns, boats etc. I'd try not to worry about it too much, i'll even try and take my own advice on this one!
    Dimensions on Gelidra EU: Horror House -The Crypt - Blossom Hill - What the Hell...? - Echo Falls - This is Battery Acid, You Slime! - A Beautifully Decorated What..?! - Bad Santa - Bates Motel - Christine - Butcher Bob's II - The Remake
    NEW!
    Mountain View

Shadowlander

Hi, I was pretty new to Dimensions as i build New Ellensford, the Dimension was done but i had so much items left...so i google Rift Dimensions. The first site i saw was from TheStylishRadish.
    I looked at all the images of dimenions, animals, people. On this page i found this wonderful peacock, it was so beautiful that i rebuild it (ok i choose other stones...so other colours and so on...but hey it's a peacock).^^
    This site gives me so much inspiration. Every human and every animal I've ever build is a part of this inspiration...without looking at this site i think i had never start building animals or people....so taking inspirations from others work is the best you can do...it least for such a long time. It's a year ago that i was the first time at this site and it gave me so much inspiration...until today.
    So if you see something you would like to have in your Dimension...copy it or just write a message to me...it's all saved.^^ (but i have no idea how to export saved sets, i just can place them^^)
    Raluar - Brutwacht (EU)
    Schurkenhain, New Ellensford, Vineta, Paradise Valley, Cabin in the Woods, The same procedure as last year?, Lovely Cottage, Sanctuary of the Sacred
    “Our heads are round so that thoughts can change direction - Francis Picabia”

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast