+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree314Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Dimensions: Worth It?

Default Dimensions: Worth It?

I am a major fan of Rift. I have a great guild, I love the rifts, and I have persistence, so I would basically stick around, even if Trion had massive server troubles.

The only thing in Rift that I am not a big fan of is dimensions. Why, one might ask?

The problem is, dimensions are not as exciting as, let's say, a close raid encounter. What do I mean? Let's say you are the last person standing in the raid, trying to outdodge Greenscale. If you can get 3 hits on him, Greenscale is dead and you get the achievement. However, if he hits you twice, you're dead and you have to start again from scratch. As you're dodging and weaving around him, if you're like me, your heart starts to beat faster, your legs are shaking, and your mind is doing the fight-or-flight response. Anyone ever had that experience?

But with dimensions, it's not as exciting. Another thing: It's not a core component in the game.

So, is the dimensions worth it? I bet those foolish enough to stay on WoW are asking the same thing about Warlords of Draenor and its upcoming way of player housing, "Garrisons", on the WoW forums right now.

So, in your opinion, is dimensions worth it? Why or why not?

Dimensions are worth it to those that like dimensions.

It's only worth as much as you see it.
    Niou Glitterdance - 70 The Silent
    Wikstrom Seihachi - 6- The Relentless
    -= Faeblight =-

Quote Originally Posted by Nithydux View Post
    Dimensions are worth it to those that like dimensions.

It's only worth as much as you see it.
    Well, I don't even know what dimensions are supposed to be. A competition? A player housing system? A science lab?

I don't know, so let's ask the experts: Trion, what is the purpose of a dimension? Is it one of the above? Or something different?

Soulwalker

Dimensions are a blank canvas in which you can create whatever you want... it you like bringing a vision to life, then they're certainly worth it It's a bit like painting a picture, or writing a short story...

For me, they're worth a lot more than everything else in the game, actually :P

Quote Originally Posted by Shedelin
    your heart starts to beat faster, your legs are shaking, and your mind is doing the fight-or-flight response
    Yes and I cannot tell you how much I hate HATE hate that feeling, it physically makes me ill. I guess I'm not the suitable person for "excitement"

I'm sure many people who are a lot more eloquent than I am can answer your question better.
    For me, dimensions are the best part of Rift. It's a fantastic creative outlet that lets you build your dreams into a virtual little world. It brings about great joy and passion. And not only that, it creates an amazing supportive community that multiplies that joy.
    Last edited by Seyler; 06-11-2014 at 07:20 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

It's different strokes for different folks. I would guess that a lot of people on the dimension forum are going to say yes, they're worth it. One look at my signature would tell you that I think they're worth it.

Their purpose: that's a bit trickier. Dimensions only came out with Storm Legion, there's a lot of potential there for further utility. Right now, you can make pretty much whatever you want as either creative expression, a storage pod for your soulbound dim items, or whatever kind of visual art tickles your fancy.

Are they competitive?: Not quite in the same sense of top tier raiding or PvP, but they can be. When you have a dimension contest where something to the tune of 26 REX get paid to the winners, I call that competitive.

I've been that last person standing in a progression fight, where me and the boss might die at the same moment, and that's fun, you're right. There's a definite adrenaline rush that goes with that. Now, time and personal inclination don't allow for too much of that.

You're also right that dimensions aren't a core part of the game, unless you let them be a core part of the game. They're a core part of the RIFT I love to play. I get that they're not for everyone, and that's cool, too. I think grinding GH5's is one of the most boring things on this green earth, but I do them if there's an end purpose or if the guildies need a hand.

The core game argument could also apply to a lot of things. Hunting artifacts isn't a core part of the game, but how many people do it? Puzzles as well. There's a lot of extra stuff that RIFT adds. That extra stuff (the fluff, as it were), is one of the biggest reasons I like this game ten times better than say, WoW.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Pretty much what Feendish said. Dimensions are the reason I started playing Rift and they remain the primary reason I continue to play.

I've played a lot of other games in alpha and beta and there is nothing out there approaching the level of detail, complexity and potential that Rift allows with Dimensions except perhaps Landmark.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

To me they are very worth it. They let me create things and beauty that is in my heart but I could never create in real life. It is art like painting or sculpting. It allows me to relax and be alone. It also on the other side allows me to be social and meet new friends with the same interests.

When my kids were little I used to have crafts for them every day we would build or create something that they enjoyed. Now they are grown I dont have that any more. So when I build I like to pretend they are versions of my life. A child's room. The first day of being married. Going off to camp as a girl. Being a princess in a castle. I know it sounds silly but these are all things my children and I created when they were little.

To me dimensions are very exciting. To see your finished work. To visit someone else and see just how amazing it is and to go omgosh I never thought of using this to build that . It is amazing. To know just how happy people are to show off their art. That is one of my favorite parts to know just how proud and happy someone is to show you their work.

As far as being a core component of the game. You bet ya it is. Not everyone plays mmos for raiding or pvp some play them for questing, leveling, crafting and yes dimensions. In just the year and a half since dimensions came out we have seen a huge increase of players who were interested in player housing only. There are many many people who play mmos simply for socializing and RP purposes. Dimensions give them some where to do it at and something to do in their spare time away from real life.

As far as competitive. Oh yes they are. Dimensoneers are always trying to be the best. We visit other dimensions and go crap why didn't think of that . Ohh I wonder can I make that better then so and so. Then at the end of the day we stand in awe and joy of everything we and everyone else has created around us.

To us a butter churn is so much more then a butter churn. It is toilet paper , knobs on a stove, a fosset, a plate, and a million other things.

If dimensions are not your thing then they are not. For many of us it is our core reason to be in Rift.
    Last edited by Kitasia; 06-11-2014 at 09:25 AM.

On a dimension forum, you are sure to have always the same answer. Yes it worth it ..

But now .. for someone who don't know, don't have the time to make his/her own dimension, find it to hard to do .. and brush it above it's shoulder what worth a dimension can have..

First of All : A point where you can meet and invite. For example you want to meet someone for a transaction . He is in Sanctum . you are in Meridian. There is always the post yeah but .. with a dimension in a blink of an eye you can met .. do your transaction and stand where you was right before it .. Gain of time and money.

Second : You may not like dimension but dimension item like you.. While you rush threw the game, doing quest , donjon etc.. you can have items drops .. Some could be really interesting to sell .. You can then storage them in your dimension before selling them in the auction house.

Third : You have a guild, you want to talk about private matters .. before you would have met at a place in telara and everybody that pass by coud hear everything. Now with dimension you can make a restrictive area for only those you allowed to come in.

And .. Even if you don't like dimension-making you can always enjoy dimension touring. When you have time to give between two battlefields or before a raid . You could visit some of them .Like opening a book, a magazine , watching the pub on tv .. hearing the radio ., looking at paintings in a gallery and so.

And if you come to like the dimension you could always have here the help needed. Because here is a strong community that share the love of dimensions.

Fun is the goal, dimensions provide more fun than a human should be allowed... so yes, worth it.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

It's a way to tell something to the world. PvE adrenaline is awesome, but it enlarges only your personal experience. Whatever this or any other experience may build in your mind, you can then express it via dimension.
    And of course it's very different from usual "action" aspects of the game, but somehow is related to them.
    So I'd say, if you just want to check it out, it doesn't worth it. If you have something in mind, then worth.

p.s. sorry for my permanently poor english
    Last edited by chukovskiy; 06-11-2014 at 11:43 AM.

Tristram Cathedral @ Gelidra EU

Quote Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
    Fun is the goal, dimensions provide more fun than a human should be allowed... so yes, worth it.
    I didn't know that there was a limit to the amount of fun a human should be allowed to have...but ok. I guess that means I can upgrade my status to total noob. ...Thank you, cat, for inserting the correct smilie, now get off my lap, and i will feed you in 2 minutes.

Sorry about that, guys. Anyway, the only reason i posted in this forum category rather than, say, General Discussions, is because the category title, "Dimensions", sounded like a lot more appropriate place to put this than General Discussions. But still, the general takeaway I'm getting here is "You are the player, you decide how much dimensions are worth to you, you decide how much time to spend in dimensions." Right? Or did I miss the mark entirely?

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shedelin View Post

Sorry about that, guys. Anyway, the only reason i posted in this forum category rather than, say, General Discussions, is because the category title, "Dimensions", sounded like a lot more appropriate place to put this than General Discussions. But still, the general takeaway I'm getting here is "You are the player, you decide how much dimensions are worth to you, you decide how much time to spend in dimensions." Right? Or did I miss the mark entirely?
    Sounds like you got it.

We get threads like this started every couple of months or so. It might be interesting to see what the answers would be in the General Discussion area. I don't think the percentage of dimension addicts is really high when compared with the general population, but I do think it's growing.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Sounds like you got it.

We get threads like this started every couple of months or so. It might be interesting to see what the answers would be in the General Discussion area. I don't think the percentage of dimension addicts is really high when compared with the general population, but I do think it's growing.
    I wish there really was some way to know what that percentage is. I agree with you though, it does seem to be growing, and I think awesome contests like the one you just hosted have a lot to do with it

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    I wish there really was some way to know what that percentage is. I agree with you though, it does seem to be growing, and I think awesome contests like the one you just hosted have a lot to do with it
    That's an interesting thought, actually.

Inherently in building dimensions, there is little of the "rush", the excitement that can come from tough fights (whether PvE raids or PvP), though there are little bursts of the same feeling when part of a dimension starts coming together. Especially if it has been proving difficult. You can also get it when you declare your work to be finished, and sometimes when you get access to a new item. But overall, the excitement is much lower key than raiding, for example.

But how much of that is because it really is a (mostly) solitary activity? Building with someone else is a very different experience (I have a friend I am often on voice with, and while it's fun to build alone, having someone there to talk to, and to come see when you've done something interesting is very nice). And the contests (especially one with very nice rewards) can definitely draw in people who are more into the feeling they would get from winning, than from the building itself.

And that is not a bad thing. Competition often brings out the good in people, and can definitely spur people into pushing their boundaries. Plus, the more people try it, and like it, the bigger voice we have when we talk change.

But the only way you are going to know for sure if you will enjoy building, is to try it. There are a number of options for building on the cheap (some of the older items cost gold per item, after all, and more than a few can be crafted), to get a feel for the whole process. Then, maybe a few looks around at other people's work, to get an idea of what is possible (be prepared, though, there are dims out there that are, frankly, mind blowing). At that point, you should be able to tell if dimensions are something that will keep your attention for a while, or not.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast