+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Dimension Discussions

Rift Disciple

Default Dimension Discussions

Greetings, fellow Dimensioneers and Dimensionerds! My name is Dreamshifter, though some few of you might know me better by my game names, Anersha or Adrienna (NOT Adriennea, that's someone else!). Ok, that's not really my name either, but that's entirely beside the point!

Today, I want to talk to you all about dimensions. No, no. Not complaints about costs, or about my dimensions. Instead, I want to talk specifically about some of the blank dimensions Trion gives us, about their shortcomings, and about what makes them interesting. I suppose I could do this as a blog type thing, those seem to be common around here, but honestly, I wouldn't know where to begin setting one of those things up.

Also, while it's not a complaint thread as such, there may be complaints on individual dimensions. Which is a great place to lead into what's got me posting this in the first place.

Malluma Track

When I got my first character to the SL areas, and had been playing with Dims a bit, I took one look at the area that Malluma Tracks is a part of, and said "This would make a great dimension!" It's full of green, the water is everywhere, and you've got waterfalls all over. How could you go wrong with waterfalls?

So you can imagine my excitement when I saw that Malluma Tracks was available for building with Dream Weaving! I have to admit, I had all kinds of plans made for the area, but since I'm not on the PTS, I didn't know exactly what we'd be getting. Still, it was like getting Moonshade all over again.

...and then, the day Dream Weaving went in, I looked through the list, and popped inside someone else's.

The initial disappointment was, well, strong. The starting location is, well, odd. Ok, sure, the name of the dimension includes the tracks, but I doubt that's what most of us are there for. And my impressions when downhill from there. It isn't a small dimension, nor is it large. But a lot of things about it really rubbed me the wrong way. Still, it was one of many, and I thought nothing of it, and went on my way, building in some of the other new options (including Gloamwood Glen, one of my personal favorites from the Dream Weaving options).

Then, some other stuff happened (other games, forum drama, technical issues, and so on), and Malluma Tracks was pushed from my mind. I hadn't forgotten it, exactly, but it wasn't a huge priority or anything. But now that I'm back, and building, and inspired by the latest contest (sadly, the inspiration came far too late to get it started in time for said contest, much less finished), I've come back to one of the dimensions I left set up as a warning to others.

It's possible I'm a little calmer now, but some of the little things that got me going before, don't now. On the other hand, some other things do, so maybe not. Having said all that, I will say this.

For me, Malluma Tracks is the single most disappointing dimension in the game.

Note, that's carefully worded. Is it the worst dimension in the game? Nope, not really. It has some really good points, but some really bad decisions were made that make the whole thing disappointing. All the more so since it could be a very GOOD dimension. But it isn't.

Lets start at the top. Or the beginning. In Malluma Tracks' case, this is the same thing, the entrance. Now, I know the Devs like picking some... unusual places as the entry point for dimensions. They always have. Shoreward Isle is one of the poster children for this, and it is one of the oldest. But they really outdid themselves this time, starting us far above the ground, on a broken railway. Want to get down? You are jumping. Get back to it? Well, that's a whole lot harder.

Still, while it was a big black mark against it for me (less now, but still), it does have some pluses. Ignoring the tentacles, it offers a long view of the water, several of the waterfalls that should be the showcase of the dimension, and even the Tulan Lighthouse. It's not perfect, but it is a nice view. So, survivable, of not ideal.

But the show stopper in this dimension, the thing we all came to see (or is that just me?), the thing that makes or breaks this dimensions, is, the water.

So, how is it? Well, honestly? It's frustrating. Worse, it's a tease. The huge pool of deep water at the top of the water? Just beyond the green barrier. And I mean, just. You get far enough to be dismounted, and there's the wall, taunting you. You can look at all that beautiful water, but never touch it. But we do get two of the streams flowing from the lake!

So, how are they? Again, frustrating. The first, in the northwest, is cut off through the top of the initial waterfall, and just beyond the lower one. It then flows just outside the barrier until it merges with the other stream, just outside the Bogling Village (which is also just beyond the barrier). That second stream? Well, you do get the top of it, barely. It flows under the track, then drops into two waterfalls, one half cut off, the other outside the barrier. It then crosses back inside for just long enough to give you a third of a bridge, one Bogling House, and a small pool of deep water, before disappearing outside again.

There are as well, several shallow, stagnant patches of water, so there is that, I guess.

Now, a lot of all of this is, clearly, my own opinion, and I fully admit to a strong bias toward water in dimensions. But I do have at least a little evidence that it isn't as popular as many other dimensions. On Faeblight, there is exactly 1 Malluma Tracks dimension that has been named. I expect the other shards are about the same.

So, does that mean it's a hopeless dimension? Not at all. Much like Plaza Aurentine, though, it could use some help. You can dress it up a lot, deal with some issues (we dimensioneers are very use to doing that), but in the end, it's the green barrier's location that causes the greatest issues. And short of bypassing the barrier (which we aren't supposed to do, really), we players can't do anything about that.

So yes, for a start, I'd strongly advocate a size increase. In the Northwest, I'd love to see enough of the deep pool included to get the waterfall that drops into it. I'd love to see the primary route of both the streams included as well, giving full access to the waterfalls where possible. The northern border, however, is fine (that's the tall hills), so the circle would end up further south, or at least in the area with the merging streams, give or take.

Moving the starting location would also be a plus, though I fully expect that to not happen, with us having access to an item to customize that. And I can live with that, I think.

So, that concludes my massive wall of text. If I write up another of these (and I might), it'll be Gloamwood Glen, I think, since that one gets a lot of flack (or did, at least). Thanks for reading!

So this thread got me trying to think of any dimension I had a issue with. The only one I ever did was Dormant Core. Because of its entry point.........Lightbulb......OMG I can build in Dormant Core now we have entry points.

I so forgot how very sad I was with it now I have a goal to save plat again. I loved loved loved the top of the Core. Now it can be mine muahahaha....

Sorry I know that is not what you ment with this thread, but it did make me think. Woot woot entry points.

It makes me wonder how they determine some of the dimension boundaries and why. I haven't looked around Malluma Track that much simply because of the entry point, which was an immediate turn off for me. Really can't figure out why they did that unless it was in hopes of selling more entry point items.,,,, I hate those tentacles, too...

But if for some reason, Trion did make the changes you propose here, I would possibly be interested in using it at some point as I'm particularly fond of dimensions with water and most especially waterfalls. So far there has never been another dimension to come out yet that can even touch Moonshade Pools in my opinion. But as for Malluma Track, moving the entry point would be mandatory for me to use it, as I refuse to purchase an expensive item to correct what Trion should have corrected in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Kitasia View Post
    So this thread got me trying to think of any dimension I had a issue with. The only one I ever did was Dormant Core. Because of its entry point.........Lightbulb......OMG I can build in Dormant Core now we have entry points.

I so forgot how very sad I was with it now I have a goal to save plat again. I loved loved loved the top of the Core. Now it can be mine muahahaha....

Sorry I know that is not what you ment with this thread, but it did make me think. Woot woot entry points.
    I've had Three Springs since I first started dimming and, for the life of me, I couldn't figure out what to do with it. With that large building, it would have made a great guild dim. But with the entry right at the front door of the building, it was proving hard to plan anything with the building covered up.
    With the entry point changed, I can finally do what I envisioned for it.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

An interesting discussion, Dreamshifter. I've never been a fan of Malluma Track because of the entry and because of the premade buildings I'd have to hide, and I did notice the placement of the boundary right in front of the spot I would put a build on. However, I'm not a fan of any dimension with a building already on it. If there were ever a Dimensional Wrecking Ball, I would buy one in a heartbeat and take it to Stone Flask Tavern so I could have that gorgeous waterfall. Different strokes, tho...

The entries in a lot of the crafted keys are in awkward positions. Scarlet Gorge Cliff, Gloamwood Glen, and Stillmoor Vale (the one key I really wanted) jump immediately to mind. Being able to customize the entry point, of course, fixes some of these issues. I see changing the default entry as a pretty major change, so I understand it being expensive. I would be thrilled if it were a bit less expensive, but that's neither here nor there.

The most disappointing dimension, in my opinion, had to be Strozza Estate Villa. For its cost (it can't be bought with credits like the spider mount can, you can only buy it with 200 lucky coins), the buildable area doesn't feel any bigger than Tower Meadow or Bahralt's Ascent. Not only that, but being 43 degrees off the axis...I think there was some potential there that isn't realized with the current boundary.

I really like Gloamwood Glen, the path down to the pond isn't as steep as, say, the cliffs in Scarlet Gorge and it isn't as sloped as Stillmoor Vale. In those two dimensions, good luck getting back up to the start point once you drop down to the lower levels without a series of ramps or a Magic Carpet/Tribal Magic.

A dimension I really, really like for being super versatile is Vengeful Sky. Yes, there are some holes in this dimension, still. As you face it, the right side is particularly tricky, especially on the upper level. Yes, the thunder gets annoying (since it's not music, turning off Ambient Sound will clear that right up!). I know, I know, I wax enthusiastic about Vengeful Sky all the time, but there it is. Prior to Anywhere, VS was the easiest dimension to turn into...anything.

@ Kit: I am feeling you about the top layer of Dormant Core!

@ Dreamshifter: Starting a blog is as easy as making an account at wordpress or blogspot or any of the equivalents and playing around with it. (I use WordPress, so I'll stick with it for the example). Many of the themes are free, the site itself is free (it's 18 bucks per year to buy your own domain name), and you get a decent amount of media storage space, also for free, so if it's something you're interested in, it may be something to look into. Orrr, if you'd rather join one that's established, I may know of a site that's always looking for contributors, if you want to hit me up in game... If that interests you, you can PM me here, or, since I'm building again right now, I'm on Whatchacallit@Greybriar a lot of the time. (Unless, of course, you were being sarcastic, and in that case, boy don't I look silly, lol)
    Last edited by Feendish; 06-09-2014 at 09:45 AM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    An interesting discussion, Dreamshifter. I've never been a fan of Malluma Track because of the entry and because of the premade buildings I'd have to hide, and I did notice the placement of the boundary right in front of the spot I would put a build on. However, I'm not a fan of any dimension with a building already on it. If there were ever a Dimensional Wrecking Ball, I would buy one in a heartbeat and take it to Stone Flask Tavern so I could have that gorgeous waterfall. Different strokes, tho...
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I have nearly as much of a hatred of pre-placed buildings as you. That and the Life Tentacles are things I'd rather not have to deal with, ever. Stone Flask is actually another dimension that suffers the exact same issue as Malluma Tracks, since the best waterfall areas is right up top, just outside the barrier...

But still, unlike the Tavern, the bogling homes are fairly easy to cover, thanks to the small size. The placement of the barrier, though, really is the deal breaker for me in Malluma.

The entries in a lot of the crafted keys are in awkward positions. Scarlet Gorge Cliff, Gloamwood Glen, and Stillmoor Vale (the one key I really wanted) jump immediately to mind. Being able to customize the entry point, of course, fixes some of these issues. I see changing the default entry as a pretty major change, so I understand it being expensive. I would be thrilled if it were a bit less expensive, but that's neither here nor there.
    Those three, and Malluma, all point to a specific trend, placing the entrances up high. Hmm, might be worth taking a longer look at the rest of the crafted ones, it has been a while for me.

The most disappointing dimension, in my opinion, had to be Strozza Estate Villa. For its cost (it can't be bought with credits like the spider mount can, you can only buy it with 200 lucky coins), the buildable area doesn't feel any bigger than Tower Meadow or Bahralt's Ascent. Not only that, but being 43 degrees off the axis...I think there was some potential there that isn't realized with the current boundary.
    ...Strozza needs it's own write-up, frankly. I have no quick and easy response for it.

I really like Gloamwood Glen, the path down to the pond isn't as steep as, say, the cliffs in Scarlet Gorge and it isn't as sloped as Stillmoor Vale. In those two dimensions, good luck getting back up to the start point once you drop down to the lower levels without a series of ramps or a Magic Carpet/Tribal Magic.
    Gloamwood does have a really nice slope. I think you ca get up most of Stillmoor Vale (it has been a while since I tried), but I definitely remember getting stuck in Scarlet Gorge. That one also has the issue of us having no matching rocks...

A dimension I really, really like for being super versatile is Vengeful Sky. Yes, there are some holes in this dimension, still. As you face it, the right side is particularly tricky, especially on the upper level. Yes, the thunder gets annoying (since it's not music, turning off Ambient Sound will clear that right up!). I know, I know, I wax enthusiastic about Vengeful Sky all the time, but there it is. Prior to Anywhere, VS was the easiest dimension to turn into...anything.
    Vigil preserve us from the thunder! I love the occasional rumble, so I could never take off Ambient Sounds (it adds a lot to Moonshade, for example), so Vengeful Sky is one dim I've never actually built in. Which is a shame, because it has always had such potential. If they ever give us a way to add (and thus, override) those Ambient Sounds, I will be all over that dim.
    Last edited by Dreamshifter; 06-09-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post

Vigil preserve us from the thunder! I love the occasional rumble, so I could never take off Ambient Sounds (it adds a lot to Moonshade, for example), so Vengeful Sky is one dim I've never actually built in. Which is a shame, because it has always had such potential. If they ever give us a way to add (and thus, override) those Ambient Sounds, I will be all over that dim.
    That would be a neat addition. I don't usually play with the sound on at all unless I'm testing out a music box, because I like to rock out while I'm building, and during raids to hear audible cues and emotes.

Speaking of dimensions with horrible music...

Dolcega Valley. The music in there is the worst, when compared to the dimension itself. It's like a horror movie in Bambi's forest. (I know this isn't a complaint thread, but I'm complaining anyway)

Edge of Infinity...I don't even know what else to say on this one.

A music box I'd like to have: The fight music from TDQ, with the quick drum beat. It's like the RIFT version of heavy metal.

A dimension I just went on a limb and bought, because I find it pretty darn intriguing for all the textures: Infinity Gate. I think it's going to be a beast, but I haven't played with it enough yet to tell.

Baradara@Greybriar

Rift Disciple

That would be a neat addition. I don't usually play with the sound on at all unless I'm testing out a music box, because I like to rock out while I'm building, and during raids to hear audible cues and emotes.

Speaking of dimensions with horrible music...

Dolcega Valley. The music in there is the worst, when compared to the dimension itself. It's like a horror movie in Bambi's forest. (I know this isn't a complaint thread, but I'm complaining anyway)

Edge of Infinity...I don't even know what else to say on this one.

A music box I'd like to have: The fight music from TDQ, with the quick drum beat. It's like the RIFT version of heavy metal.

A dimension I just went on a limb and bought, because I find it pretty darn intriguing for all the textures: Infinity Gate. I think it's going to be a beast, but I haven't played with it enough yet to tell.
    I usually have my own music on as well, however, a fair amount of the time, I'm on voip, and thus, the game sounds come through. And really, Dolcega Valley's music is fitting, for the real version. That is not a happy place. But the dim, well, at least we can cover it up.

Now Infinity Gate, that on is definitely interesting. I caught sight of it myself not so long ago, and it looked like a dimension with possibilities. It will be interesting to see what can be done with it.

The one music box I hope is coming to the Rift store sometime soon is Black Garden. I was playing around in there last night and was blown away. I think I like it almost as much as the music in the capital cities.

@Dreamshifter My thoughts exactly re Malluma Track. But then they came out with the Dimension Entry Point and I figured that pretty much solved it. With a zone in point up on the track, it could foster some interesting structural builds. And it's easy to add steps or an elevator to put the vertical space to work. Glad to see a discussion about some of the pros and cons of our dimension choices.

Re Vengeful Sky, if there was a way to remove the crashing sound, I'd build in there. But for now, I just can't get over the noise.

Re Strozza, it was the one dimension I really wanted and I saved and saved to be able to buy it. But then I toured some Strozza dims and was very disappointed that it was such a small and ugly part of the whole estate they chose to make available. I've revisited it a couple times to see if I've changed my mind, but so far, it's not worth the price imo.
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Speaking of The Black Garden...

I know you've been tinkering in yours, Jaed, and I'm about halfway through mine and as far as this dimension goes, I think the devs really got things right. The music is good, the lighting is consistent (which was a bit of a surprise, that there is no change from day to night, but I suppose makes sense all things considered), and it's really colorful. There are only two things I would change about the entire thing and that would be to:

1. Get rid of the camps.

2. Get rid of the spines right at the spawn location. Granted you can (and I did) change the entry point, which did save a ton of items from not covering up all that stuff.

Besides the music and light, there are a couple of other things that are right with this dimension:

1. It's ON the axis. Yippee! Or, if it's off, it's not off by very much at all. This makes building in here such a breeze, especially for larger structures.

2. While there are lots of interesting terrain features and...stuff, all over, there are also relatively flat pieces of ground to put said largish structures without having to do a whole bunch of foundation work.

3. The shrines, particularly the one closest to the camps. Can we have that as a dimension item, please? And the little purple trees, and OMG, the bridges and wall pieces.

At any rate, I bought both my keys out of the starter packs for my pvp builds. Now, I wish I'd bought a couple more when I saw the keys on the AH last week for 75 plat. Even now, on GB, they're at about 120p, and I consider that a bargain for a dimension that goes up to 2520 items.

Baradara@Greybriar

I agree with all the disappointing dims so far and would like to add my own to the list, Icewatch Outpost. When it first opened it was perfect, then they had to adjust the green barrier and cut off key places we need to walk in. I have made complaints and asked for this to be fixed but haven't heard anything back regarding whether they plan to fix it or not.

Oh and regarding Dolcega Valley, the silverwood music box is one of the first items I put in before decorating mine lol.

PS. Feendish your message box is full

Quote Originally Posted by Akhor View Post

PS. Feendish your message box is full
    Holy crap, it was...Fixed, and thank you.
    Last edited by Feendish; 06-10-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Baradara@Greybriar

Speaking of The Black Garden...
    2. Get rid of the spines right at the spawn location. Granted you can (and I did) change the entry point, which did save a ton of items from not covering up all that stuff.
    I was a little disappointed that these were right at the spawn point. =(

Quote Originally Posted by Jaedor View Post
    The one music box I hope is coming to the Rift store sometime soon is Black Garden. I was playing around in there last night and was blown away. I think I like it almost as much as the music in the capital cities.
    Yes! It would be great if we could get this music box added, it's very good.

A very interesting discussion, Dreamshifter

15.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #15
    Rift Team

This is a wonderful thread!

It's great to get feedback about dimension specifics; it helps me design new dimensions better.

Here are a few points to be aware of -

* Yes, I have traditionally favored high-up dimension entry points. I figured it was the lesser of two evils, since a high entry point lets you leave and return to your dimension to climb out of 'pits.'

* We clone the world as it is (with all of its objects) when we turn it into a dimension. We have zero power to "rotate" the dimension terrain. If the objects in a dimension aren't oriented to the cardinal directions, it's because that's how they are in the main game world.

* It is tough to decide what objects to remove from a dimension for maximum dimensioneer happiness. For example, I took out most of the bogling huts, all of the Storm Legion tents, and some of the roots from Malluma Track. I have to balance giving you building space and keeping a dimension from being too barren.

* Fun Fact: Malluma Track is a big dimension. Considering the green boundary, it's almost the width of Dormant Core. If I were to go back in time and make a Malluma Track that included the main river's path as well as most of the large pond at the river's origin, it would require almost twice the volume of Anywhere, our largest dimension.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast