Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Treble
  • 2 Post By Feendish
  • 1 Post By Hasmonean
  • 1 Post By Vaishevik

Thread: Moving Dimensions - Help Please

Rift Disciple

Default Moving Dimensions - Help Please

I have a dimension I've built where I love what I built, but it has become clear that the dimension zone I chose was a poor choice. So, I'd like to move the entire structure to another dimension zone.

And as I understand it, I can manually select every item in the list, save it in Dimension Toolbox, pack everything into a crate, re-place everything one item at a time in a new dimension, re-select every item, then hope Dimension Toolbox reassembles it correctly. Besides being tedious (since I think I'm only a few items short of max items in a fully upgraded dimension), I'm incredibly scared of losing the numerous hours of work i've put into it if Toolbox fails or something. Also, when I've used this method to replicate items I've built with only a hundred or so pieces, it has been laggy and difficult to move them into place (and no, I don't have a bad computer, lol). I can't imagine how it will respond trying to assemble then move this many pieces.

So, is there a better and/or easier way to do this than what I described above? Thank you for any suggestions!
    Last edited by Hasmonean; 02-13-2014 at 09:59 AM.

I've actually moved a couple of dimensions from one character to another before we were allowed more than one. It sucks, and I don't think there's currently a way around it.

1.) Keep your sets small, no more than 150 items.
    2.) Export your sets as you make them to a separate file so you have backups. Save often.
    3.) Don't rush! It's better to go slow and endure the tedium than to try to get done quickly and screw it up.

Shalistiri Mirage : The Light in the Dark : Camp Catari : Dwarven Ladies Club: RP - The Basilicini of Bahralt : Lycini Townhouse : Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater : The Paarrrrsing Deck : Fuji Dojo : Cherry Breeze Estate on Faeblight

Just thinking about what you will have to do makes me nervous, lol. I hope it works out for you.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hasmonean View Post
    I have a dimension I've built where I love what I built, but it has become clear that the dimension zone I chose was a poor choice. So, I'd like to move the entire structure to another dimension zone.

And as I understand it, I can manually select every item in the list, save it in Dimension Toolbox, pack everything into a crate, re-place everything one item at a time in a new dimension, re-select every item, then hope Dimension Toolbox reassembles it correctly. Besides being tedious (since I think I'm only a few items short of max items in a fully upgraded dimension), I'm incredibly scared of losing the numerous hours of work i've put into it if Toolbox fails or something. Also, when I've used this method to replicate items I've built with only a hundred or so pieces, it has been laggy and difficult to move them into place (and no, I don't have a bad computer, lol). I can't imagine how it will respond trying to assemble then move this many pieces.

So, is there a better and/or easier way to do this than what I described above? Thank you for any suggestions!
    You're not going to get instructions that are any better than those Treble gave.

I've moved a couple of dimensions, and I like to use 100 piece sets just because it's easier for me. It does make it take a little bit longer, but slow and steady wins the race when it comes to moving our treasures.

One thing you might do is log out between saving sets, so it saves in Toolbox. If you crash after saving a set, Toolbox will more than likely lose the set you just saved (I've learned this the hard way). Exporting to your desktop or wherever will also work. There's no such thing as too much redundancy.

Hope it works out for you!
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Rift Disciple

Thank you for the replies! The suggestions to keep sets small and to log out and back in are especially helpful. =)

Don't forget to take lots of pics from every angle, in case you need to rebuild some stuff.

Also, don't panic if you need to rebuild; sometimes it's a chance to improve on the original idea. I found that taught me to build things more efficiently, or to try different variations with new materials that had been added to the game more recently.

I found toolbox could have problems when it tries to figure out rotations on multiple objects in all three axis, so if I saved something like a roof where everything has a different angle, it was best to keep to 50 objects. But that could be my computer, this one's getting senile I think. When it put some of the more complicated shapes together, the result reminded me of the popsicle stick mobiles my kids would bring home from daycare.
    Last edited by Vaishevik; 02-13-2014 at 03:17 PM.

I vote for completely blowing it all up and starting over! Sure they're pretty to look at but building is where the fun is at, Well that and I think I like destroying as much as I like creating. I'm kinda bi-polar like that.

+ Reply to Thread