+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: New dimension contest?

Plane Touched

Default New dimension contest?

Hello everyone, it has been a hell of a ride this party contest

I waited untill now to bring it up but I have been pondering for quite a while about hosting a dim contest myself. Since we have only just finished this one, I was wondering if people would be interested in another contest so soon.

There are details to work out but I will share what I have in mind sofar:

Theme;
    ANCIENT ROME and GREECE
    some ideas: Colloseum, gladiator fights, Caesar, the legions, war galleys, horse charriot races, mount Olympus , Zeus, parthenon, Delphi Oracle etc etc It is one of my favorite periods in history!

Judges:
    myself ( i think i have proven to be able to make a decent dimension)
    N ( i will have to clear with her if she wants to be public but she is my dim hopping partner)
    E ( same, I do not release any dim without having him judge first and point out errors)
    ?

Prizes:
    winner: 10 Rex
    2nd 6 Rex
    3rd 3 Rex

Time frame:
    entires close march 31st
    since we are only 3 judges and having kids and rl stuff to consider , I cannot really estimate how long it will take to pick a top 10 but 2 weeks may be doable, depending on the amount of entries.
    After that a top 3 in maybe a week (?)

Rules
    No guild dims
    No limit on items
    No Egypt themes even though they played a big role then.

Technical stuff:
    I have made an email account specially for entries so people can notify me. ( name of owner, dim name, shard)
    I wont be making videos simply cos I dont have the time and wouldnt know how.
    All entries can leave a photobucket or similar link on the forum ofc.
    After closing entries, the dims will have to be public and have a plus 1 so I can find them

I am sure I have forgotten a lot of things, so I will update with changes and news

!! the contest is not open yet, I want to see if there is sufficiant interest first. Please let me know what you think
    Last edited by Kahlann; 01-18-2014 at 06:53 AM.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Speaking for myself, I like any contests that are player sponsored. As for the theme, it wouldn't be an issue of entering, but rather which dimension I would enter.

Some questions:

Would previous contest entries be allowed?

What about collaborative efforts?

What about recommendations?

Would the email address be provided here, or are we just linking entries on this forum?

The prizes made my eyes bug a little. Very, very generous. Thank you so much for this idea.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

I think contests are a great way to keep vitality in the community! 31 March gives 2 months for building, which should be plenty.

I have concerns about the theme.
    • A specific period will limit entrants because many people just won't see that as their style or strength.
    • Several striking and exceptional dims already exist with this theme in mind, which will intimidate people because they have a mental standard to match.
    • While I'm confident you can choose a creative winner, be prepared to look at a series of limestone buildings because that's what's obvious to build.
    • Will culturally appropriate mythology and fiction qualify? (Such as Sophocles or Aesop) That would certainly open the floodgates to different scenarios but could make you feel like you're comparing apples to oranges.

My intention is not to discourage you, but to encourage you to consider how to define the scope of your contest. Find a balance that encourages variation and nixes homogeneous builds while maintaining meaningful boundaries.

Shalistiri Mirage : The Light in the Dark : Camp Catari : Dwarven Ladies Club: RP - The Basilicini of Bahralt : Lycini Townhouse : Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater : The Paarrrrsing Deck : Fuji Dojo : Cherry Breeze Estate on Faeblight

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Oh, I did have another question, about judging criteria, so that what has happened before doesn't happen again, where I interpret rules the wrong way.

What exactly are the judging criteria? Being specific in this one area will help you more than anything else (as well as help reduce the frustration of entrants)
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Would people be interested in another contest. That is the silliest question ever.

OF COARSE WE ARE INTERESTED.

Plane Touched

@ Treble

a series of limestone buildings is exactly what I dont want to see. that is why I added the ideas of the legions. Think Asterix and Obelix, think Attila the Hun. The military structures are diverse. Think gladiator fights in an arena. A roman war galley. Mount Olympus with Zeus and the other Gods residing there. Maybe a victory march of a great general. Cleopatra visiting Julius Caesar. The horse charriot races (Ben Hur).
    Yes i will accept mythology, things like Minos Minotaur. However, if you decide to do a mythology scene, I would like to know so I can read up before I judge.

Like I said, I am in a development stage of this. I have other ideas if not enough people care to join up for this.

@ feendish:
    * one entry only,
    * considering the prize money I would say new builds only.
    * Since there is no way for me to actually check if people cooperate, I can only rely on people's honesty.
    * email adress: romerift@xs4all.nl I would like those of you who consider entering sending me an email so I can see if it is worth my time and money.

How will we judge: as fairly as possible. The other 2 peope that will be helping me have a different taste than I have so we wil be discussing things.
    criteria will be : originality, difficulty of subject, and quality of execution

Plane Touched

Forgot to add:

The other themes I had in mind would be :
    a space port, spaceship is minimum requirement.

a steam train

the wild west

Hi builders:

Kahlann, if i understand, we can present a dimension with this themes

-Ancient Rome
    -Ancient Greece
    -The wild west
    -Space Port

If this is correct, in the space theme, is more important the space port or starship?

Thx

How about a ****ty old mine theme?

I would love to create something for this contest. Let us know when is starts. We all love contests...More, more!!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90809&dateline=137690  0590

Plane Touched

Update:

Sofar I get the impression that Ancient Rome?Greece is not a popular theme. Shame cos i think it can be very interesting.

I will discuss with my fellow jury members what we can do and how. I will start a new thread with the change of plans asap.

I liked it I was even planning my outfit to wear while I was building

I also thought it was a very good theme. I already was planning what type of things to do. Since my whole guild is themed on the Roman Empire (Divine Phalanx) I had tons of ideas come to mind as soon as I read your contest post.

It's your contest and should also be done how you want. I will be ready to build when your ready to throw it.
    Awesome ideas you have show so far to me.
    Last edited by benthalo; 01-20-2014 at 09:49 AM.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90809&dateline=137690  0590

Plane Touched

I also think that this competition is a great idea ... Ancient Greece or Rome

I can't wait ... have already started thinking about this one.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlann View Post
    i think i have proven to be able to make a decent dimension
    Kahlann - Being generous and encouraging with your time and resources is bigger than how well we build Dimensions - this is all the proof that's needed BUT adding your expertise as a Dimensioneer is just creme de la creme. Thank you for your thoughtfulness and for continuing to ignite inspiration. This idea in its making sounds exciting! SO awesome, have fun

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast