+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Green Dimension Walls are Back With a Twist

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team

Default Green Dimension Walls are Back With a Twist

Hello, Dimensioneers!

I know I said that the Dream Weaver dimensions would not have green walls, but as we've noticed, they're still handy for showing where your boundaries are in the first place. You know, instead of making you smack into the wall just to find it.

So, we're adding in green dimension walls for those dimensions - but don't panic! The walls will only be visible when you are in Edit Mode.

Since the green wall is a cylinder, this does mean that some previously accessible dimension corners are now blocked. I've raised some ceilings and scooted some boundaries outward to compensate for the changes.

Once the changes are up on PTS, please visit some Dream Weaver dimensions (and Icewatch Outpost) and see what you think. I do have some wiggle room in the placement of the walls, so if I've blocked your favorite part of one of the new dimensions, or you find some other weirdness, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Thanks for the update Faratha also curious how the new portal device will effect the stability of Dimensions/shard if placed on the outside of this boundary as I am sure many will.

Faratha you always make building dims such a pleasure, just keep on with the suprises its helps to brighten the most dreary wet day with the thought of 'whats Faratha got instore for us'

Last edited by Leyanyar; 01-16-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    Leyanyar & Taresys: Nocte Eterna Zaviel EU - Zanthas, Lalena, Corrach & Cyanese : The Templars Faeblight NA - Lalenadd & Cyanesel: RDD Road Trip on Laethys NA
    Dimensions: Cyanesel - RDDAnhkor Pools, Zanthas - Zanthas Apothercary WIP Faeblight

What about the ceilings of the green cylinder? In the free starter dimensions, for instance, there is not a lot of space *out*, so I built *up*. A big tree with a long catwalk that overlooks the 1st guardian portal and scion. But because it's so far up, the gorgeous CQ sky I put in there is obscured by the green ceiling. Will the Edit mode affect ceilings too? Please say yes. ;)
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Can we expect old dims to get this new system?

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Thanks for the update! Ingenious idea for he green to only show in edit mode too.
    Last edited by Uruketo; 01-17-2014 at 03:56 PM.
    Uruketo, 70 Warrior
    <Grievance> Guild Leader
    Defiant - Wolfsbane
    http://www.grievancegaming.org/

7.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #7
    Rift Team

Yes, the green ceiling will also be invisible outside of Edit Mode.

Yes, these changes will apply to all dimensions!

Quote Originally Posted by Faratha View Post

Yes, these changes will apply to all dimensions!

Oh my gosh. I love you!
    Annyssah * 65 Cleric * Dol Amroth * Hailol

This is the most perfect solution to our green wall problem! I noticed the lack of walls on the new icewatch dim and it actually made it harder for me to figure out my boundaries. Thank you so much!

I will have to agree that this is indeed a perfect solution

Quote Originally Posted by faratha View Post
    yes, the green ceiling will also be invisible outside of edit mode.

thank youuuu!!!! <3
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

That's perfect. Thanks!

Telaran

Default ridiculous Icewatch Outpost changes

As I said in another post over in the Dimensions area: you lobbed off an area of Icewatch at the one end of the long bridge. Not a small area. I had several houses in that area that are now un-selectable and obviously unreachable. I do not appreciate being able to decorate and design something that you arbitrarily lob off and provide no means for at least retrieving the items that are suddenly "beyond the barrier". I can try to guess which "house with deck" is the one that's out there, but I might wind up picking up all my other houses first, thereby undoing all the work that was done. That is NOT appreciated.
    Further, at the one end of that bridge, you lobbed off the very road that goes to the bridge. So if you want to go to the bridge, you have to leave the little road and slide along the cliff-line. That is utterly ridiculous.
    You have accomplished something I didn't think was possible: I am not tinkering with my housing, and housing is the main reason I play. I have no interest in doing so, I'm far too angry.
    FIX THIS ABSURDITY.
    Or at least provide us with an easy means of retrieving the days and weeks of work that you suddenly decided to lob off. (setting aside the anger over having all that work suddenly rendered utterly moot)

Quote Originally Posted by Faratha View Post
    Hello, Dimensioneers!

I know I said that the Dream Weaver dimensions would not have green walls, but as we've noticed, they're still handy for showing where your boundaries are in the first place. You know, instead of making you smack into the wall just to find it.

So, we're adding in green dimension walls for those dimensions - but don't panic! The walls will only be visible when you are in Edit Mode.

Since the green wall is a cylinder, this does mean that some previously accessible dimension corners are now blocked. I've raised some ceilings and scooted some boundaries outward to compensate for the changes.

Once the changes are up on PTS, please visit some Dream Weaver dimensions (and Icewatch Outpost) and see what you think. I do have some wiggle room in the placement of the walls, so if I've blocked your favorite part of one of the new dimensions, or you find some other weirdness, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!

Default Solution for out of bounds items

Quote Originally Posted by Redspyder View Post
    As I said in another post over in the Dimensions area: you lobbed off an area of Icewatch at the one end of the long bridge. Not a small area. I had several houses in that area that are now un-selectable and obviously unreachable. I do not appreciate being able to decorate and design something that you arbitrarily lob off and provide no means for at least retrieving the items that are suddenly "beyond the barrier". I can try to guess which "house with deck" is the one that's out there, but I might wind up picking up all my other houses first, thereby undoing all the work that was done. That is NOT appreciated.
    Further, at the one end of that bridge, you lobbed off the very road that goes to the bridge. So if you want to go to the bridge, you have to leave the little road and slide along the cliff-line. That is utterly ridiculous.
    You have accomplished something I didn't think was possible: I am not tinkering with my housing, and housing is the main reason I play. I have no interest in doing so, I'm far too angry.
    FIX THIS ABSURDITY.
    Or at least provide us with an easy means of retrieving the days and weeks of work that you suddenly decided to lob off. (setting aside the anger over having all that work suddenly rendered utterly moot)
    Hey there There are 2 things you can do to retrieve out of bounds items:

1) Position yourself along the edge of the green barrier, with the item(s) you wish to retrieve in view. Now adjust your camera so that the green wall passes through your view and your character is effectively on "both" sides of the green wall. Keep the item(s) you wish to pick up/move in view still. Now you can left-click these items as if they were in-bounds (and adjust them normally as if they were in-bounds).

2) Position yourself as close to the items you wish to retrieve, keeping them in sight like above. Now open your items list, sort for the item(s) you wish to retrieve, and simply select each one until the one you wish to retrieve (which you're keeping in view) hi-lites purple with the x-y-z arrows attached. Then you know you have the right one(s).

I use this method for decorating out of bounds areas. Hope this helps!

Telaran

Default responses

I appreciate the help, with regards to retrieving the items that are suddenly beyond the barrier. If I can at least retrieve them, that's a plus.
    I still maintain that we shouldn't be put into this position in the first place. Also, the way they lobbed off that section was ridiculous -- if you're going to leave us the bridge, for instance, then you need to leave the road TO the bridge intact. Cut it a step beyond that turn, but lobbing off the road ruins the internal logic/flow of that part of the dimension.

At any rate. I'm calmer now, but still pissed -- we shouldn't suddenly wake up and find that areas we spent weeks working on are suddenly "outside the barrier". I've been swapping houses and landscaping in and out to make that area "just right" -- using houses to end-cap that road where the barrier used to be. It was beginning to work -- there is no such capacity in the new, lobbed-off area. The room isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaCloud9 View Post
    Hey there There are 2 things you can do to retrieve out of bounds items:

1) Position yourself along the edge of the green barrier, with the item(s) you wish to retrieve in view. Now adjust your camera so that the green wall passes through your view and your character is effectively on "both" sides of the green wall. Keep the item(s) you wish to pick up/move in view still. Now you can left-click these items as if they were in-bounds (and adjust them normally as if they were in-bounds).

2) Position yourself as close to the items you wish to retrieve, keeping them in sight like above. Now open your items list, sort for the item(s) you wish to retrieve, and simply select each one until the one you wish to retrieve (which you're keeping in view) hi-lites purple with the x-y-z arrows attached. Then you know you have the right one(s).

UPDATE: got a reply back from the in-game system. Let me sum it up: we got your message, I've sent it to the devs, we'll assume you're good if you don't reply within 72 hours. Have a nice day.

That it's being sent to the devs: good. The fact that my favorite dimension still feels "ruined" to me -- not good.

I use this method for decorating out of bounds areas. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Redspyder; 02-15-2014 at 04:22 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast