+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By DimensionDiva
  • 1 Post By Nouvae
  • 1 Post By Feendish
  • 3 Post By Norris

Thread: New builder? Learn Toolbox early!

RIFT Fan Site Operator DimensionDiva's Avatar

Default New builder? Learn Toolbox early!

I have noticed a lot of new dimension builders around lately. My biggest Dimensionerd regret is that I did not learn to use the Toolbox addon sooner. When I was new, Toolbox seemed a little daunting and I heard some builders call it "cheating" so I didn't investigate it for myself until recently. My mistake.

Toolbox is a tool. It can't help you think of ideas. It can't help you design what you want to build. It can help you perform some actions more quickly and more correctly. It can help you place and line-up items with more accuracy. It can help you copy and save objects, and even entire dimension, for moving, sharing, or in case of disaster! Is it cheating to use a ruler to draw a straight line? Is it cheating to use a hammer to pound in a nail? Is it cheating to use tongs to lift an ear of corn out of a pot of boiling water? Is it cheating to use a copy machine? NO! Toolbox is just another tool to make your life easier!
    • Need to build a checkerboard tile floor? Toolbox can help you place the tiles in perfect alignment. Your checkerboard floor will be done in a jiffy and it will be lined up!
    • Need to build a perfectly square corner for your castle? Toolbox can help you achieve a precise 90 degree angle. Oh, you want a 63 degree angle ramp instead of a corner? Toolbox can do it!
    • Need to replace all the walls in your house with red wood rectangles instead of blue wood rectangles? Toolbox can do it in just a few clicks while maintaining your entire build!
    • Need to make 16 identical mailboxes for your trailer park? Build one and toolbox can copy it and produce the other 15. All 16 will be identical!
    • Need to build a line of fencing? Toolbox can help place each section in a perfectly straight line and it will happen fast!
    These are just a few examples of how Toolbox can help you. It's biggest limitation is your imagination! it can also help you create elaborate patterns, domes, cylinders, circles, circular staircases, and other objects that are very very very difficult to build freehand. It takes some effort to learn how to make Toolbox do all of these wonderful things for you. And you have to be able to use Math for some of it! But there are tutorials to help. I used the Toolbox Videos with Rubeyrose which are available at RiftDreamDimensions.com. There are other tutorials out there, too.

So investigate Toolbox! You can choose whether you want to invest the time to learn it. I sure wish I had learned it when I was just getting started. There are builders who choose not to use Toolbox. Some still think it's cheating, some don't like addons, some prefer what they call the "hand built" look, and others have their own personal reasons. I am friends with many of them and I respect their decisions. But I love using Toolbox and I wish I had started earlier!

So, welcome and have fun building!

My wacky weird (and mostly old) dimensions are tagged (diva) on Wolfsbane, Zaviel,
    Brutwacht, and Gelidra. I love to visit dimensions, so please invite me to see yours!

Shadowlander

I really appreciated you telling me about this in the chat channel the other day. it does look like an amazing tool. In all honesty I have learning disabilities and even trying the video walk through I cant grasp how to use it. But I do plan to at least use it to save builds. I don't see it as cheating but a personal choice.

My first thought after you showed me the add on was OMG WHY did I not try this before I built a bar. But I also realize what it can do may not fully be appreciated unless you have struggled to line up items for months without it. I think the satisfaction of getting my blocks lined up was so overwhelming that it made building the dimension even more excitting. /nerding out here I guess. Anyways Ty Diva!

Default I still haven't learned all ot it that well...

Quote Originally Posted by Archuntress View Post
    I really appreciated you telling me about this in the chat channel the other day. it does look like an amazing tool. In all honesty I have learning disabilities and even trying the video walk through I cant grasp how to use it. But I do plan to at least use it to save builds. I don't see it as cheating but a personal choice.

My first thought after you showed me the add on was OMG WHY did I not try this before I built a bar. But I also realize what it can do may not fully be appreciated unless you have struggled to line up items for months without it. I think the satisfaction of getting my blocks lined up was so overwhelming that it made building the dimension even more excitting. /nerding out here I guess. Anyways Ty Diva!
    For instance, I still have no idea how you build a spiral staircase with it......but the most useful part of it for me other than saving things has been the copy and paste function. I can't live without it and it's thankfully very simple. Focus on learning one thing at a time, and don't be afraid to ask questions, that's my best advice ;-)

hehe hugs girl and I like this post you did here =) my silly reason is it lags and some times glitches for me .....or maybe that my dimension now lol=) thank you for saying as you did felt it was well said and it is a worth wile thing to have I need to check out hos to do the one stair case =)

Great post, thank you for the tips, I have downloaded Toolbox and have been trying it and so far I just can't figure out the XYZ area, but I like the Copy / Paste and the Save section.

I even watched the videos by Rubeyrose and I may have to watch them again because I wasn't quite getting the numbers bit, I'm struggling with that in the Dimension too, finding the XYZ. But I will keep at it.

As of tonight I am about half way finished with my first dimension and I've already built the largest building I had planned by hand, and I just know some of my walls are not straight.

I do want to give this tool a try, the greatest benefits I see right now is the time savings.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nouvae View Post
    Great post, thank you for the tips, I have downloaded Toolbox and have been trying it and so far I just can't figure out the XYZ area, but I like the Copy / Paste and the Save section.

I even watched the videos by Rubeyrose and I may have to watch them again because I wasn't quite getting the numbers bit, I'm struggling with that in the Dimension too, finding the XYZ. But I will keep at it.

As of tonight I am about half way finished with my first dimension and I've already built the largest building I had planned by hand, and I just know some of my walls are not straight.

I do want to give this tool a try, the greatest benefits I see right now is the time savings.
    I had to watch a couple of the videos twice, flipping back and forth all the while, because I am a very hands' on kind of learner. I can watch videos or read about something all day, and still can't figure it out until I get a chance to play with it.

Best way to learn Toolbox? Play with the different functions in a dimension you don't care about, or before starting your build. See what everything does and then it will make a bit more sense.

As far as the X, Y, Z, is that at the top part, or the bottom where the copy/paste offsets are?
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    I had to watch a couple of the videos twice, flipping back and forth all the while, because I am a very hands' on kind of learner. I can watch videos or read about something all day, and still can't figure it out until I get a chance to play with it.

Best way to learn Toolbox? Play with the different functions in a dimension you don't care about, or before starting your build. See what everything does and then it will make a bit more sense.

As far as the X, Y, Z, is that at the top part, or the bottom where the copy/paste offsets are?
    Great idea, I will try it in my empty dimension, the XYZ section at the top left of the addon, I insert some numbers in there or try to offset the numbers, and it doesn't make sense of where it is going, I'm not a numbers person, so yea I really need to spend more time with it.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nouvae View Post
    Great idea, I will try it in my empty dimension, the XYZ section at the top left of the addon, I insert some numbers in there or try to offset the numbers, and it doesn't make sense of where it is going, I'm not a numbers person, so yea I really need to spend more time with it.
    Ah. I don't use those spaces unless I'm trying to do something very, very specific. Usually, copy and paste will replace the need to use those at all, unless you're doing relative movements, then it's just inputting .001 or -.001 into the green, red or blue (that's the direction you want to move, corresponding with the arrows of the in-game editing tool). If you'll notice, you'll see checkboxes for absolute and relative. Absolute movement places the item in the specific spot you designate. Relative just moves it that .001 or whatever, which is great for minute adjustments.

To offset with a copy/paste, you'd want to use the numbers at the bottom, so the offset will happen as you paste the copied item.

I hope this makes sense, and good luck! If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me in game at Baradara@Greybriar.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Plane Touched

I have tried toolbox back and forth, but even after watching those vids I stil cant make heads or tails of it. I use it to copy things sometimes, but it is very buggy and I often lose saved designs . they simply dont show up anymore. I gave up and do things the old fashioned way.

Toolbox has its problems but no matter how much I yell at it, I use it in every dimension I make. I don't use it 100% but as those before me have mentioned, what it does, and when it does it, it does well

If you want to see a checkered floor, I've actually used toolbox to create my black / white floor in Cascade Hall (shameless plug). By using the Relative function of the x,y,z movement command I nudge a tile one direction until i worked out how many nudges a single tile needed to be moved to be placed next to the previous one i.e. [tile][tile] then amended this value to both x and y and used the offset function so that I can rapidly duplicate them diagonally. Seems complicated but the entire floor (approx 300 tiles) took about 20 minutes. Would have been faster but I did the white ones first and then spent a while falling through the holes.
    Last edited by Norris; 01-11-2014 at 05:41 PM.
    Dimension Builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Feendish View Post
    Ah. I don't use those spaces unless I'm trying to do something very, very specific. Usually, copy and paste will replace the need to use those at all, unless you're doing relative movements, then it's just inputting .001 or -.001 into the green, red or blue (that's the direction you want to move, corresponding with the arrows of the in-game editing tool). If you'll notice, you'll see checkboxes for absolute and relative. Absolute movement places the item in the specific spot you designate. Relative just moves it that .001 or whatever, which is great for minute adjustments.

To offset with a copy/paste, you'd want to use the numbers at the bottom, so the offset will happen as you paste the copied item.

I hope this makes sense, and good luck! If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me in game at Baradara@Greybriar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norris View Post
    Toolbox has its problems but no matter how much I yell at it, I use it in every dimension I make. I don't use it 100% but as those before me have mentioned, what it does, and when it does it, it does well

If you want to see a checkered floor, I've actually used toolbox to create my black / white floor in Cascade Hall (shameless plug). By using the Relative function of the x,y,z movement command I nudge a tile one direction until i worked out how many nudges a single tile needed to be moved to be placed next to the previous one i.e. [tile][tile] then amended this value to both x and y and used the offset function so that I can rapidly duplicate them diagonally. Seems complicated but the entire floor (approx 300 tiles) took about 20 minutes. Would have been faster but I did the white ones first and then spent a while falling through the holes.
    Thank you for the tips, reading these makes more sense of that xyz area now, I'm going to give these a try tonight and see if i can make heads or tails of it.

+ Reply to Thread