+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dimensional Item Combiner

Soulwalker

Default Dimensional Item Combiner

I have found in various forum threads that the reason the maximum number of dimension items is set to 2000 is because beyond 2000 you begin to have problems rendering the dimensions and items. However, a simple wooden cube, an elaborate bookshelf, and a large prefabricated wall all count as one item. Even though the elaborate bookshelf is harder to render than simple wooden cube, the predesigned bookshelf is easier to render than a bookshelf made from individual prefabricated books and wooden planks put together to look like a bookshelf.

The idea I had was to make an object combiner. You could make a structure with individual objects, then use the combiner to group them together. The combined objects would not count as one object, instead they would count as a certain number of objects that could be lower than the total number of objects used to make the combined object if combiner determines that the combined object is easier to render.

For example, lets say you used 20 boulders to make a hill in your Item Combiner. If you had placed the 20 boulders together inside the dimension, the game would have to process all of the boulder surfaces, even the ones not exposed. However the Item Combiner would process the hill made from 20 boulders and determine that it does not have to process 50% of the object surfaces. The Item Combiner then makes a grouped object and assignes it a value that determines how many objects the combined object counts as. Since 50% of the hill would not be processed, the item value for the hill would be dropped from 20 to 10.

This would not only save space in dimensions, it would allow people to build more in their dimensions without having to increase the limit on the total number of items in a dimension. This would allow trion to make more money off players without spending the money to increase server hardware capabilities.

Soulwalker

I like your idea in theory, but I think there's a little something more technical that might make this idea a little hard to implement.

I don't know all that much about the technical side of MMOs... or games in general... but I'm pretty sure that say with your boulder example, each of the individual boulders is loading regardless of whether you see them or not. It's like if you put a pot behind a wall. It's still there, loaded and rendered etc. but there is a wall blocking your way so you can't see it.

I don't think its impossible to combine items into a single object, but to me that sounds like some on the fly object editing which to me seems extremely difficult to produce. Either that or they make a whole bunch of objects which are combined versions of other objects. In essence, crafting. Say you mix three boulders together it comes up with a larger boulder. However in that, it might not be quite what they are looking for, seeing as you could just go ahead and buy a bigger variety of boulder (if one was available), or for that matter, buy the combined version. Even in that, in itself its kinda redundant.

I dunno man, I like the idea but I don't think it quite works that way.

Soulwalker

Combining objects in this way could be done in the dimension itself and players could place objects the select the objects they want to combine and click the Item Combiner to merge them.

I admit that I am a novice when it comes to digital animation, but I believe that the theory is sound. Of coarse that is baring an expert telling me otherwise. XD

Anyway, most objects are a wire frame shape with a skin over it. Where I think that this idea would shine is when you have objects using similar skins, like boulders or stone slabs. The Item Combiner would ideally merge the wireframe of the objects and delete the parts of the wireframe that would not be shown. The same skin could be applied over the entire combined object. Objects with different skins would be far more difficult to combine in this way, but this technique could be very useful when building objects of similar material types.

Rift Chaser

Theoretical thinking without actual game object rendering and programming knowledge. So take with a grain of salt.

It does mean making custom objects in the game like this and the programming to make that possible. And if that even could be done it sounds like it might actually put more stress on the servers and memory (and this reducing the amount of objects to place or even merge). As the game has to remember and render new unique objects with endless possibilities. It would possible have to render millions of new objects in the world and store it on the server.

With overlapping objects as it is now it is at least one already programmed and proven workable and scale able base shape and attached skin. And it just has a use this object on those coordinates kind of programming and memory storage, which I think is a lot less tricky/memory consuming to program and render. And less likely to give errors.

I don't know enough about programming to be sure of this. But what I do know of 3d design does seem to at least support this theory. Seeing the max amount of objects in the dimensions seems to be limited to what it is to have it workable memory/render wise. Your suggestion might not actually give more to put in but actually a lot less as the strain on the render/memory/server might go up on a steep curve with each object merged like this.
    Last edited by Serathe; 12-26-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Shadowlander

It would be great to be able to make blocks.

Sword of Telara

Nice idea, but i don't think it would be workable.

Every item in game has an identification number in a database, that number is linked to an art asset in the client. To do what you are asking would mean the following would have to happen ..

1. A snap shot of the combined item is taken
    2. The snap shot is converted into a 3d rendering of an item (art asset)
    3. The new item is given a number and entered on the database
    4. The new art asset is downloaded to your client and everybody elses client

The first three would obviously need to be automated, it's not easy to automate creating a 3d rendering, the last one would mean there would be an almost constant stream of new files being downloaded to everyone, and if the game needs to go through patching every time a new asset is created then the games is going to go up and down like a yo-yo.
    Asharak@zaviel: 60 Rogue
    Ashorath@zaviel: 60 Warrior
    Pinestone@zaviel: 60 Cleric

+ Reply to Thread