+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggested improvement- PVE/PVP Dimensions

Default Suggested improvement- PVE/PVP Dimensions

Hi all, I've been playing and enjoying Rift for a few weeks now and particularly like the possibilities that modifying your own unique dimension creates.

I would love if you could also place mobs and specify a start location for players and perhaps a rewards chest ?

It would add a game element that if expanded upon could make for some very interesting content. Most of the mechanics are already in place and while i appreciate the work needed to create and balance this expansion the rewards could be worth it...

Not sure if its been suggested before but my mind conjures guild dimensions with grand fortified castles and the potential for large scale pvp within unique player designed spaces, something quite new in an MMO and perhaps something people might be willing to pay for ?

You know, there is a entire section of the forums dedicated to suggestions. maybe you should look and post there instaid?
    Zenahk@Laethys

Quote Originally Posted by Zelurk View Post
    You know, there is a entire section of the forums dedicated to suggestions. maybe you should look and post there instaid?
    Since there is also an entire section of the forums dedicated to dimensions which is the focus of my post I thought it better placed in that sub category to perhaps gain comment and further expand on the idea...

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by MuLTiPLeXD View Post
    Hi all, I've been playing and enjoying Rift for a few weeks now and particularly like the possibilities that modifying your own unique dimension creates.

I would love if you could also place mobs and specify a start location for players and perhaps a rewards chest ?

It would add a game element that if expanded upon could make for some very interesting content. Most of the mechanics are already in place and while i appreciate the work needed to create and balance this expansion the rewards could be worth it...

Not sure if its been suggested before but my mind conjures guild dimensions with grand fortified castles and the potential for large scale pvp within unique player designed spaces, something quite new in an MMO and perhaps something people might be willing to pay for ?
    From what Daglar and Dead Simon have said on the live streams, it's apparently tricky to add moving NPCs inside of Dimensions. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with pathing, bounding boxes, etc. You *can* summon stationary ones. There's a bartender who kinda just stands there. This is also the problem with animals and pets I'm guessing.

As for PVP within Dimensions, that is already in the pipeline, but they're still hammering out the details to make it work. I wouldn't mind seeing PVP go down in mine but it would need to be so that I can ensure I'm not getting ganked in my own place ;).

Quote Originally Posted by Phaius View Post
    From what Daglar and Dead Simon have said on the live streams, it's apparently tricky to add moving NPCs inside of Dimensions. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with pathing, bounding boxes, etc. You *can* summon stationary ones. There's a bartender who kinda just stands there. This is also the problem with animals and pets I'm guessing.

As for PVP within Dimensions, that is already in the pipeline, but they're still hammering out the details to make it work. I wouldn't mind seeing PVP go down in mine but it would need to be so that I can ensure I'm not getting ganked in my own place ;).
    I would assume the general mechanics not to be too different than current open world PVE with perhaps reduced aggro ranges etc. Pathing would require some work no doubt, not sure of the limitations of the game engine but I'd be happy if mobs could only move even small distances.

For PVP you would need a flag to be set similar to the other permissions within the dimension such as public/private etc. As for being ganked in your own dimension, well you would have the advantage of knowing the terrain so choose a good ambush spot :P and of course there should be no death penalties...In my wild fantasies I would love to see something like the siege system in LineageII with dimensions containing large castles which opposing guilds could register to attack on a weekly/monthly basis.

Shadowlander

[QUOTE=MuLTiPLeXD;4600988]I would assume the general mechanics not to be too different than current open world PVE with perhaps reduced aggro ranges etc. Pathing would require some work no doubt, not sure of the limitations of the game engine but I'd be happy if mobs could only move even small distances. [QUOTE]

I think that with all of the random placement of items in Dimensions, pathing could be problematic and a pain unless things can be programmed in some way to avoid the bounding boxes of things. In Second Life, content creators get around this by having a set of prims that establish coordinates, for example. You lay them out, they determine the path.

For PVP you would need a flag to be set similar to the other permissions within the dimension such as public/private etc. As for being ganked in your own dimension, well you would have the advantage of knowing the terrain so choose a good ambush spot :P and of course there should be no death penalties...In my wild fantasies I would love to see something like the siege system in LineageII with dimensions containing large castles which opposing guilds could register to attack on a weekly/monthly basis.
    As god of my realm I should be IMMUNE . But honestly getting ganked while trying to build would be a pain but I suppose that would be as simple as just turning it off until you're done.

I think that with all of the random placement of items in Dimensions, pathing could be problematic and a pain unless things can be programmed in some way to avoid the bounding boxes of things. In Second Life, content creators get around this by having a set of prims that establish coordinates, for example. You lay them out, they determine the path.

- I think you could possibly just let mobs pass through dimension items and ranged attacks also, no doubt there would be teething problems, AI pathing is seldom perfect and I'd expect mobs trapped on corners etc. Short of causing instability and server crashes the potential is too great to ignore due to what are minor issues that can be ironed out on the PTS.

As god of my realm I should be IMMUNE . But honestly getting ganked while trying to build would be a pain but I suppose that would be as simple as just turning it off until you're done.

-Yup, you could just set the privileges to private while editing your dimension unless you like surprises of course...

+ Reply to Thread