• 1 Post By Yopi
  • 1 Post By Norris
  • 3 Post By Xenoheart
  • 3 Post By Silir
  • 1 Post By Kitasia

Thread: Dimension Feature Requests For The Future

Default Dimension Feature Requests For The Future

Trion,

I love your dimensions, best thing I have ever played! Nothing like playing a level design game. I have a few requests that I think would really help make building easier.

1) Degree counters and soft lock on x,y,z rotation much like UDK. I would love to see what angle my object is at. Also a nice soft lock on the x,y,z adjusters every 90 degree that an object is turned. It sucks getting stuck at 91 degrees and trying to move my mouse 1 single pixel is so hard! Maybe something like this could be accomplished by holding down a modifier key before clicking to adjust my x,y,z. For example by pressing shift while I am in my rotation edit mode it shows degree markers on the adjusters to let me know how much I am rotating something. While rotating the object when the modifier key pressed you can see the degree of your object change in real time. Also when holding shift while rotating an object it automatically applies a soft lock to the object when rotated every 90 degrees. This way I will always know I rotated an object 90, 180, etc... degrees and its going to line up perfectly. However to keep it simple the soft lock would always reference the objects original orientation. So even if you turn an object 6 degrees left, the next time you edit that object it will still lock at 90 degrees left once you turn it 84 degrees more.

2) On the size adjuster.. It would be really nice to show a scale percentage as I am scalling an object to be larger or smaller. There have been several instances where I needed to scale several obects that are the same where i have to carefully see if each item is exactly the same size. It would be much easier if I could just look at one of them (again by holding the shift modifier to pull up the percentage) and see "ok its at 143%". It would speed building up quite a bit. Also by holding the shift modifier while adjusting the size of your object you can see the percentage change in real time.

3) Free Float Mode (only in your dimension or a dimension where you have build permissions) It would be really nice to be able to just fly my character around as if I am floating through the dimension. I dont mean going through walls, and terrain or anything like that. I am talking about the people who like to build high in the sky, but need to spend hours building a ladder to even get up there. You could even sell this in the rift store like you did with the range guide item you just added. Give me the float buff for 2 hours I would pay a few hundred rex.

4) a Mailbox dimension item. There have been so many times that I have had to halt the creative flow of my masterpiece to go get mail! (if there already is, sorry!)

These are the 4 major things that I have been wishing I had everytime I build. I could list 1000 more wants, but then the post would have no meaning. Feel free to add your thoughts to this. I would love to know what the community (and maybe a dev) thinks about these ideas.

Thanks!

Veyn
    Veyn's War Room | Seastone | Open 24/7 | +1s appreciated!

For 1, 2, you need to grab the Dimension Toolbox addon.

For 3, you need to grab the Magic Carpet addon.

For 4, loyalty unlocks a summon mailbox ability. BUT it is on limited cooldown AND when I spawn it on my stone tiles it "sank" beneath them. So make sure you use it on some natural landscape.
    Last edited by Silir; 11-11-2013 at 06:11 AM.

I should not have to download a third party addon. Also I want to be able to use the mailbox more than once every 2 hours, and be able to actually set it up in my dimension where I want.
    Last edited by Yopi; 11-11-2013 at 06:22 AM.

I'd much rather Trion invests in stuff we don't currently have, like interactive objects, more npcs, bigger dimensions and more stable servers.

I'd also like more API (item listing, moving crate, bulk item save/load) so addon authors can build the tools we want.

I have been hearing a rumor of pvp being added to dimensions in some way. More than just a regular duel. Is this true?

It is actually, there will be interactive items that can be placed inside a dimension, and interacting with them will score points. There's also some sort of spawn point object.

It's delayed though. Other things have pushed this feature til later.

Very cool! I cant wait. I designed my entire dimension around a codex type of gameplay. So I hope we get to do something like that soon. Thanks for the info.

Little things: I'd like the middle of the dim object to actually be the very center. If you take an object (this example works very well with a building block tile), copy it into exactly the same position and then adjust the roll or pitch by 180 degrees it will not be in the same position makes some things quite annoying.

Magic carpet is great I use it a lot but it would be nice if the carpet itself was smaller. I often cannot see what I am building due to the carpet getting in the way.

Dimension Toolbox will occasionally do some very odd things while rotating / copy & pasting. More often when you insert something at an angle it will arrive on the direct opposite angle as it has confused the +/- rotations. Now this could be the addon but I have seen addons break before and then seen that rift programming was responsible - the addon was just interpreting the incorrect data which it thought was correct.

I do praise these 2 addons and some of the things I have created would have taken much longer without them (and others i would have never had the patience to complete). But better would be good

I like the mailbox idea, or something like a special mailbox that allows us to store dim items specifically. I have a full set of highest sized bags I can get hold of and usually 1 of these is not filled with dim items. Not matter what I'm building I always find at least 1 thing that I haven't thought of ahead of time and need to swap things around. It would be nice to have something that could link directly to my entire collection.
    Dimension Builder.

I'd like the middle of the dim object to actually be the very center
    This is great, I totally forgot about this and ran into an issue the other day where I caught myself saying "I wish this object rotated off the center and not this left corner".

I know the devs got excited about this in a live stream once upon a time, but I'd still like to see a way to display armor sets in dimensions. And interactable weapon racks too.

Meaning lets say I collected the R2 set, and its about to be phased out with the final purchase of my R3 gear (in the future of course lol) and i want to display my R2 progress trophy in my dim. That trophy being my gear.

Maybe we can purchase a mannequin to have in our dims, which allows you to attach a set of gear to it for display? That'd be really cool and a great way to get gear sets I have purely for nastalgia (akylios and ID gear) out of my banks and bags and on display in my dims.
    Last edited by Xenoheart; 11-11-2013 at 08:08 AM.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

phew that would add a whole new level of OCD to dimension building.. If we did that we might as well get a empty shelf that we can fill with completed artifact set tokens lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Norris View Post
    Magic carpet is great I use it a lot but it would be nice if the carpet itself was smaller. I often cannot see what I am building due to the carpet getting in the way.
    Open the carpet file with notepad:
    Documents\RIFT\Interface\Addons\MagicCarpet\Main.l ua

Find:

scale=12

on the line that looks like Command.Dimension.Layout.Place(id, {scale=12})

Now the carpet doesn't actually scale all the way to 12. The maximum for the carpet is only 2. So if you set it to 1, it'll be half the size. Like this:

Command.Dimension.Layout.Place(id, {scale=1})

Save Lua textfile.
    Alt-tab in the game.

(pick up the carpet if you have it placed, so it's in your bag)

/reloadui

NOTE. Scale less than 1, and you risk falling off when you are too fast (say, on a mount, or using the dimension speedy jumpmaster).
    Last edited by Silir; 11-11-2013 at 08:23 AM.

One thing I actually had a dream about the other night and brought it up in dim chat today.... I seem to dream about dims a awful lot.

I was thinking if it would be possible to make a object that we can see only when the item is selected to edit. it would be round flat maybe like 5 feet high, and allow the area it is placed it to give us movement ability of swimming. So we could make our ponds and pools swim able since we cant actually swim in our pools atm.
    I know silly thought and probably to much work.
    Also a item we can adjust into our made couches that is like (sorry) Second Lifes pose balls . Its invisable but you can click and it puts you into a sitting position where ever you place it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitasia View Post
    I was thinking if it would be possible to make a object that we can see only when the item is selected to edit. it would be round flat maybe like 5 feet high, and allow the area it is placed it to give us movement ability of swimming. So we could make our ponds and pools swim able since we cant actually swim in our pools atm.
    That would make my jump puzzles soooooo interesting
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

Quote Originally Posted by Silir View Post
    Open the carpet file with notepad:
    Documents\RIFT\Interface\Addons\MagicCarpet\Main.l ua

Find:

scale=12
    Silir, I love you and want to have your babies.
    Dimension Builder.

+ Reply to Thread