+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Feendish
  • 3 Post By Feendish
  • 3 Post By Treble

Thread: Back from the abyss

Default Back from the abyss

Hi dimensioneers

I have been awol for a couple of months or so (uni got in the way) and have just returned, trying hard to catch up on what has happened in my absence.

I have a question.

Since reading through all the news and seeing some wonderful new builds, I noticed that a particular part of one of my dims has been carefully copied...almost to a T. I took a very long time to work out this particular little piece of my dimension on Laethys and was a little saddened to see it pop up elsewhere. I had not seen a similar one until now.

Do I just let this go? I guess this is the nature of all things dimensions, but I was a little saddened. I keep asking myself, what do I want? Credit? I am still not sure. I just wanted your thoughts on this.

Bella

Quote Originally Posted by DLPS View Post
    Hi dimensioneers

I have been awol for a couple of months or so (uni got in the way) and have just returned, trying hard to catch up on what has happened in my absence.

I have a question.

Since reading through all the news and seeing some wonderful new builds, I noticed that a particular part of one of my dims has been carefully copied...almost to a T. I took a very long time to work out this particular little piece of my dimension on Laethys and was a little saddened to see it pop up elsewhere. I had not seen a similar one until now.

Do I just let this go? I guess this is the nature of all things dimensions, but I was a little saddened. I keep asking myself, what do I want? Credit? I am still not sure. I just wanted your thoughts on this.

Bella
    Oh I forgot to mention, if anyone hasn't visited my second dimension yet it is Sea Myst Resort Cabins on Laethys. It was my little Three Springs prize way back in July. I think it is my most treasured dimension

Now that I am back, I look forward to getting back into dimensions.

Bellarosa
    Laethys

Hi dimensioneers
    I noticed that a particular part of one of my dims has been carefully copied...almost to a T. I took a very long time to work out this particular little piece of my dimension on Laethys and was a little saddened to see it pop up elsewhere. I had not seen a similar one until now.
    ... I just wanted your thoughts on this.
    Bella
    Having undertaken very little dim tourism onto the NA shards, what did you come up with?
    There's quite a lot of borrowing of ideas when it comes to dims. Our little EU community look at it as a sign of respect that other people use our ideas and are inspired to create similar pieces - possibly even improving on what we have created which in turn leads us to better building.
    It's also possible that someone else has thought up a little gem that you've created and applied it. With so many people constantly playing around with all the toys we have available it's understandable that there will be cross-overs with ideas.

However, if you made the very first kitchen / food and the images are on the net, they have been essentially been reduced to factory stamps.
    Dimension Builder.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

This is something that has come up before, more than once, going back to the beginning of dimension building. Bumradish wrote an insightful article about what she calls synchronicity, with the link here:

http://thestylishradish.wordpress.co...and-the-clock/

Copying an entire segment of a dimension, however, is likely not synchronicity. We all borrow ideas, even when we think that we don't, or try to say that we don't. I will freely admit that when I see something I like, such as Kaletros' sofas or Valzen's fireplaces, I will borrow the general feel without exactly copying. I have been copied in return, even on pieces that aren't posted to the Toolbox set sharing forum on riftdimensionaddicts.com.

Being copied brings mixed feelings. On one the one hand, it's kind of touching that someone likes your work well enough to copy it. On the other hand, you feel kind of like you've just been robbed. Most people give credit where it's due for the inspiration for a particular idea. Some just don't, and they won't. Human nature being what it is, there are some good, and some bad.

The thing to remember is that we don't own our dimensions when they're done, Trion does. There is no such thing here as intellectual property. The only way to ensure your work is never copied is to never open it to the public. There is one dimension on Greybriar called The Original Stripclub that was copied to the last pole, in its entirety. I'm sure that others have been copied as well. Unfortunately, there are not a lot of options. You can send a message to the person who copied you privately, and seek some resolution that way. You can make it public knowledge, and try to get it resolved that way, when you figure out what you want to happen--whether you want the person who copied you to change what they made, or just acknowledge that they borrowed their ideas from you.

Granted, we all have the same things to use. Even now, items are limited enough that multiple people will use the same things in the same configuration at or around the same time without ever knowing about the other. Without knowing exactly what was copied, it's impossible to say if that's the case or not.

Sorry for the longwinded reply, but I hope this offers a little bit of help, or at least something to think over.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Thank you so kindly for replying. I think this is something I will need to just see it for what it is. They liked the features (yes, multiple) of my dimension and made them part of theirs. At the end of the day, we don't have ownership. I know that for me personally, if I like an idea, I will tweak it and make it my own. But that won't always be the case. Perhaps they think it is ok to screenshot and reproduce. And maybe it is.

I think really it is very '5 year old of me' to think 'hey, that was my idea' and pout about it.

There is always an opportunity to learn and move on hey?

Warm wishes

Bellarosa

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Thank you so kindly for replying. I think this is something I will need to just see it for what it is. They liked the features (yes, multiple) of my dimension and made them part of theirs. At the end of the day, we don't have ownership. I know that for me personally, if I like an idea, I will tweak it and make it my own. But that won't always be the case. Perhaps they think it is ok to screenshot and reproduce. And maybe it is.

I think really it is very '5 year old of me' to think 'hey, that was my idea' and pout about it.

There is always an opportunity to learn and move on hey?

Warm wishes

Bellarosa
    I don't think it's really okay to screenshot and reproduce, and there are several others who feel the same. When I borrow ideas, I do it from memory.

And we're still people, so it's not really acting childish to be angry or upset that an idea you came up with was stolen (which is calling it what it is). I agree with you that it is an opportunity to learn and move on.

Someone copied entire pieces of Crowned by Stars, fronted it as their own work, and used it to win a Three Springs Key, so I know how it feels, trust me. This made me so angry (childish and stupid to be made angry over something in a game or not), I turned around and started Black Flower Shrine with the idea of making something so structurally difficult that someone who wanted to copy could pull their hair out trying to do it. Yes, that's not a very mature reaction, but it is what it is, and we are still people.

Now, Black Flower Shrine is my personal favorite of all my dims, regardless of how it came about.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

That being said, I really don't understand copying someone. Usually when I'm touring it's to identify gaps and see what people AREN'T doing.

Shalistiri Mirage : The Light in the Dark : Camp Catari : Dwarven Ladies Club: RP - The Basilicini of Bahralt : Lycini Townhouse : Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater : The Paarrrrsing Deck : Fuji Dojo : Cherry Breeze Estate on Faeblight

I think if this happened to me, I'd be quite bitter about it for a while (especially if the other dim gets much more exposure than mine which is quite likely), but then just shrug and move on.
    Your case might be a coincidence, but it's the exact same items arranged the same way so a bit suspicious.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Treble View Post
    You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

That being said, I really don't understand copying someone. Usually when I'm touring it's to identify gaps and see what people AREN'T doing.
    Agree 100% I love seeing everyones creations & sometimes something will stand out which will inspire an idea but it becomes more about hmm what can I do that I haven't seen or how can I build that type of Dimension/Item with my own twist?

Nice to see you back Bella, hope your decision is one that encourages you to continue building as beautifully as you always have done.

Hmm if I copied anything from anyone I'm sorry! I'll try to give credit! (how though... in the intro forum post?)

I do tour a lot, get lots of ideas, and then go back and use that burst of energy and build a bunch of stuff...
    Last edited by Silir; 11-11-2013 at 06:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread