+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: New to the dimension scene

Shadowlander

Default New to the dimension scene

My wife and I have just recently got into the dim scene. We have been on the forums looking at pics, walking through tons of existing dims and all we can say is WOW.

Needless to say we are hooked, I mean got it bad lol. Walking through so many trying to get ideas and both in absolute awe. There is so much that can be done we don't know where to start. I'd build something and the wife says you sux don't you remember that dim we seen? do it like that. That's ugly in comparison rofl. Back to the drawing board, again.

Is there any advice ya'll can give for new dimension builders? Or just get in there and build away? We get these big ideas and have no idea where to start lol.

Any advice please

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Get some cheap building blocks like wood planks and stone tiles and start tinkering. Get a feel for sizing, for rotation and movement. Then do the same thing with the cheap jugs and flour sacks and whatever catches your eye. Look at items from all sides and a lot of time, inspiration will strike.

Fishing is a great way to get items cheap (read, free, as in you fish them up), and those items can be used for a lot of purposes.

With dimensions disabled, I haven't been able to get in any of mine to see if Dimension Toolbox is still working, but if it is, I suggest you give it a try, to make sure walls are straight and floors are level, and as a quick way to make things into a circular configuration or fan them out, or save and load items sets you guys create that you might like. A lot of people prefer to build totally by hand, and that's okay, too, neither way is any better or worse than the other. Toolbox is available from Curse, a link is provided in the information sticky at the top of the thread.

When you go touring, take a look at HOW things might have been put together. Now that you can look at the item list, it's easy to figure out what might have been used. The dimension chat channels are also a great way to bounce ideas and get tips in game.

Welcome to the addiction!
    Last edited by Feendish; 11-07-2013 at 04:57 AM.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Welcome to the Dimscene!

You know the best advice I can give is to create your own style, tell your own story.

Sure there are beautiful Dimensions out there but the most beautiful (in my humble opinion) are those that tell the builders story.

Like: I built a house because of one I saw OR I built the house of my dreams I've always wanted. As an example.

Touring is also great but it can be overwhelming so feel free not or to only do if stuck for an idea or needing inspiration. Some pay particular attention to World Events in Trion to build in time for when they happen so knowing our game of Rift is a bonus or even World holidays trends and nostalgia are always fun to build. For me personally I like to build around an item or for an occasion others like to replicate phenomenal buildings or when met with a challenge build specifically to overcome it. You just find what makes you grin or sets your creative juices on fire heh and mix it up a bit with the game itself to chill and come back to your zone every time inspired.

I also have these places for you to peruse at your leisure:

Click for: Beginners Guide to Dimensions & Tutorials @ Rift Dream Dimensions

Click for: Rift Scene Dimension Forums

Click for: Dream Dimensions 101 @Rift Scene

The only other advice I can give is pay attention to the stickied notes above including competitions that may occur to influence a creative challenge for you and wifey, have a lot of fun and come say hi in the public channels in game.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 11-07-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Shadowlander

Thank you Kiwi.

I tried dimension toolbox and it was a disaster lol. need to learn it a bit more.

How long does it usually take to complete a good size dim? Some look like they take years.

And I have checked out your site before. Watched a couple tours and stuff. Will be back there again

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Hmm Lets see:

On Greybriar:
    Kiwimidget - RDD: Arena for Dummies - 9 Days (One room extracted from a Guild Dimension Group Project)
    Kiwimidget - RDD: Midnight Market - So far 1 week (WIP)
    Kiwisan - RDD: Road Trip Guild Dim "Get Yo Kicks" 10 days (Group Project)
    Kiwisan - RDD: The Depot - 1 month (Community Interactive Dimensions Stock Dim)

Kiwisan - RDD Dream House (Closed to Public) Ongoing so far 4 months
    Kiwimidget - RDD: Project releasing in 2 weeks beginning when we can get back in there.

6 others built and pulled down. There are no hard and fast rules I love to collect stuff via mystery boxes, drops etc and see what happens, have a project without a time limit one with.

Oh and be aware you have these places to test stuff in to make things a little easier: Click for: Test & Stock Dims

Heh and its ok about toolbox, toolbox takes time some use vigorously while others only to save sets, some not at all.

Thanks for checking out my sites and stuff, appreciate very much.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 11-07-2013 at 05:40 AM.

Shadowlander

Awesome I'll check that out.

Welcome happy to have you here.

Welcome to the community
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90809&dateline=137690  0590

Welcome to the addiction!!!!
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Welcome to the addiction!

I can understand how you feel overwhelmed, the one thing I'd recommend that hasn't been said yet is just do it! All of us started somewhere and everyone I've heard comment on it after building several dims has said that when they go back to their first one they can't believe how simple it was or how far they've come since then. The main thing that opens creativity for me is becoming familiar with the items, I start by using things "as intended" then when I'm familiar with my options I start tinkering and flipping them around, "morphing" as we call it into something completely new!

In short, don't pull something apart just because it doesn't measure up to what you've seen on your tours! Have fun with it, see what happens, and learn along the way

Default Welcome!

Dimensions can be overwhelming, you look at some of the creations people have made and it is hard to know where to begin!

Addons are certainly useful, but really you need to have a feel for the basic controls before you jump into Toolbox, etc. (Once you do, make sure you check youtube for instructional videos, they really help with the learning curve).

It's perhaps good advice not to throw all your money into it buying/fishing/crafting every cool item and playing with it (you'll go broke!) but since I did that myself I cannot advise against it.

I suggest starting with a smaller to medium sized dimension, or with a large dimension in an enclosed (prefabricated) space. Play around with decorating the interior, or building small, basic creations with building modules. As you get the hang of it, start to swap out prefabricated walls, furniture, and windows and try making your own with planks, logs, tiles, rocks, bags of flour - get creative!

Once you really feel comfortable with the tools and have a good mental knowledge of available objects, you will be able to build more creatively, since you will have a working memory of what pieces exist, what colors they are, how small or large they scale, etc.

There is certainly no shortage of clever ideas, just looking on the public or weekly dimension list will show you that. Have fun creating your new spaces, and feel free to check out mine @Faeblight. Lei's RP Castle (Stoneflask Tavern), Westeros RP Arena (Moonshade), Amnesia (Breach Chamber), RP Alpine Estate opening Dec. 19th! (Kestrel's Cry Ravine).

Don't be afraid to start start small! I have several bigger dims that I am working on but my two completed ones that I am proud of are both small. The ones listed in my sig are the free starter dimensions. You'd be surprised at how creative you can get with those. People have done some really cool designs in those limited spaces! They can feel restrictive once you have really big plans but when you're starting out, the small space is kind of nice because it can keep you from being overwhelmed and can be done on a smaller budget.
    Shiadra, Shiasha, Facemoth, and Fimhira
    <Wandering Idiot>
    Dimensions on Deepwood: Bandit Hideout and Silverwood Playground

Shadowlander

OMG thanx for the warm reception guys. That's awesome. I don't feel so intimidated knowing there is actually those who would give advice. This is going to be so kewl. I will be taking all advice and suggestions.

But, it seems the dims are still off line so the wife and I are going to work on trade skills for a bit.

Am I understanding that when you go to another dim you DO NOT have to take everything out of the one you have been working on?

Lol like I said we are very new at this so sorry for the noob questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Timpest View Post
    OMG thanx for the warm reception guys. That's awesome. I don't feel so intimidated knowing there is actually those who would give advice. This is going to be so kewl. I will be taking all advice and suggestions.

But, it seems the dims are still off line so the wife and I are going to work on trade skills for a bit.

Am I understanding that when you go to another dim you DO NOT have to take everything out of the one you have been working on?

Lol like I said we are very new at this so sorry for the noob questions.
    You can have two dims active at the same time for free. And you can add more active dim slots (up to 10 total per character) but have to pay for anything beyond 2. Lots of folks just roll alts so they can build more or store more...

Also, note that every crafting skill has 5 recipes for building dimension items. The NPC who sells these recipes is usually by the dimension vendor in your capital city (or outside the crafting area in TB). Enjoy!
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

Shadowlander

Thank you

I'll get the 2 i like best going. But, can I decline to pack up and just leave all the stuff in an inactive dim then go back to it if i want to?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast