+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 4 Post By Rodarin
  • 6 Post By Faratha
  • 1 Post By SoulshadowDK
  • 1 Post By Feendish
  • 2 Post By Silir
  • 2 Post By Foxfire

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: [Search] function for placed items

Shield of Telara

Default [Search] function for placed items

Not sure if this has been discussed, asked for, or shot down. But having the ability to search through items we have placed would be helpful. A lot of times I throw stuff down and it gets buried or covered up and scrolling through a list takes forever and I have even missed stuff before. Not to mention just being able to make sure everything that was pasted was also moved and not double stacked. Sure that can be done scrolling as well.

But there are also semi unique items you might want to find quickly, do a search and its right there.

Not sure if it is a possible add on either, I doubt it since it hasnt been done yet. But that could be an option if Trion cant or wont implement one.

2.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    Rift Team

That seems like a fine idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Faratha View Post
    That would be awesome if you could add that At least once a week while building, and using a magic carpet, I forget im floating 50 feet in the air somewhere, and zone out. The next time I zone in, I get to play everyones favorite game... "Where the heck did I leave my carpet" With 4k items, the list of placed items is all but useless without a sort or search function
    Soulraiser - 60 Cleric // Soulslayer - 60 Warrior // Soulshadow 60 Mage
    Faeblight NA
    http://www.dargaardknights.com
    Visit our recruiting thread HERE

Oh yes, that would be extremely helpful indeed. Thankfully it didn't happen often, but I've had some items that I needed to move that I wasn't able to select any other way than through the placed items list. And manually looking through a list of 1000+ for one specific entry is not fun.
    "I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar!"
    -- Hoban Washburn

I think this could be built as an addon.

For items that are close it'd be selected, if it was too far your only option would be to put it back in your bag.

Will give it a (messy) stab tonight. There are a few other dim'er that do addons I wonder if they already have tools that can do this.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Faratha View Post
    I'm certainly glad you think so! I would give my right arm for a search function for placed items and the moving crate. (Or at least I would think about it.)

Sifting through 4-5k pieces in a guild dimension or up to 2.5k pieces in a personal to find one item is...frustrating to say the least.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Silir View Post
    I think this could be built as an addon.

For items that are close it'd be selected, if it was too far your only option would be to put it back in your bag.

Will give it a (messy) stab tonight. There are a few other dim'er that do addons I wonder if they already have tools that can do this.
    I wrote a utility function that selects placed items by name, and another that crudely lists items (and their count) by name. However, it doesn't work with items in the moving crate, since Inspect.Dimension.Layout.Detail() tells you nothing about crated items. (It also annoys me that the built-in UI doesn't allow us to pick up an item directly from the moving crate; we have to place it first.)

Also, Inspect.Dimension.Layout.List() only provides placed items that are nearby (possibly within selection distance), so an addon can't even be used to pick up unselectable items.

In general, it would be helpful if the API provided at least as much information and functionality as the Dimension Items list and Moving Crate list.

My wishlist for improvements to the dimension API is about as long as my arm, but I won't go into all of that here.

http://sdrv.ms/1dkZZNg

Install:

Unzip into your Documents/Addon folder

Instructions

This addon will add a small window similar to Magic Carpet

[Search] function for placed items-d-grabber-find.jpg

You can toggle it on/off with /dgrab

Type in a partial name and click either "Find" - which selects the first object that fits this name. Or "Grab" which will immediately try to pick it up and put it in your bag - this is useful to pick up all the objects of a same name quickly.

[Search] function for placed items-d-grabber-grab.jpg

NOTE
    • the name search is case sensitive. Cause I'm lazy. For the programmer minded. The Lua string.find function accepts regular expressions. So you can do Metal.* if that makes sense.
    • The D-Grabber window does not drag. Because it gets confused with the textbox focus event. And again, I'm trying to ship this addon in 2hours!
    • Objects that are too far from you can't be picked up. This happens in very large dimensions. As Fredelas said, can't verify the item's name from the API so has no clue if that object fits this name.
    • Also, items in the moving crate can't be picked up.

Quick update. The latest version does case-insensitive compare now. I was being mean.

Default Search Function Incoming!

Not sure when this will hit the live servers, but right now on PTS we DO now have a search function!

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire View Post
    Not sure when this will hit the live servers, but right now on PTS we DO now have a search function!
    OMG Yay!!
    The Road Less Traveled, Hypnotique, Hero's Quest: Belly of the Beast, Avalon, Doubleohhseven's Avatar v2.0, Promenade Penthouse, Hero's Quest: Sleeping Beauty, Mabhe's Quadradream, Everwinter, Karthan Paradise, Halls of Intoxication, Court of Shadows, Dreamscapes, Lost in Wonderland, Hero’s Quest: Hidden Canyon, Bywater, Sanguine Summer
    Greybriar Dimension Geek

+ Reply to Thread