+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By Caelthas
  • 8 Post By Caelthas
  • 1 Post By Feendish
  • 1 Post By Foxfire

Thread: Cathedral of Credit: RP Backstory

Default Cathedral of Credit: RP Backstory

Over the past few months, I've been working on what I planned to be my last build. With item costs trending towards sanity, I'm reconsidering that decision, but that doesn't change that I went all in on this one, emptying my coffers of cred's and coins. It's a beast of a build... Unlike my previous dimensions, which were simply structures or themes, I actually wanted to tell a story with this one. Now, it's unlikely I'll be available with any frequency to provide tours and tell that story for those that are interested. Instead, I will try an experiment and see how well it goes over. I will tell the story here, amongst my fellow dimensioneers.

For those who could give a damn, please, by all means, return now to the main dimension forum and spare yourself the wall of text to follow (or scroll down and click on the color-coded hyperlinks). However, for those who are interested, what follows below will be a wonderful story complete with screencaps; a sardonic highbrow romp reflecting the changes currently reshaping Telara.

The story is told as a historical account, with hyperlinks embedded as part of the story to maintain continuity. Screencaps of the dimension will be orange while other... story aids... will be blue. Clicking on them as they're encountered in the story will help enrich the telling.

Now, I present to you for your dimensional enjoyment:

The Cathedral of Credit

A Treatise on the Ascension of Telara's New Deity

Telaran history is defined by ages. One of the bloodiest and most turbulent was the Age of Planes, known then as the Bloodstorm. From the first rifts that allowed planar beings to invade our reality, to the events of the Infinity Gate, massive changes reverberated through our world. Entire libraries are filled with documents and texts that recount that era, as it was then that the great peace between the former factions of the Defiants and the Guardians began.

Surprisingly, very little material survives that tells of the development of the religion that now dominates our society. Before this age, the Guardians were a polytheistic society, where as the Defiants worshipped their own ingenuity and technology. Before the war with the planes ended, however, a new God arose that would eventually come to dominate Telaran spirituality. A god of economy and commerce. A god named "Credit".

This new arch-deity reigned over a pantheon of lesser divine beings, minor controller gods called Users. This is common knowledge today, but how did it become so? Was there a prophet who spread this gospel? Did Credit rise as a collective shift in the consciousness of those who lived then? Did some other being slip through the rifts and establish itself as the new center of Telara's religion? Such knowledge has been lost to time, leaving us with crumbs as to the origin. We know now that the Users are the entities responsible for the daily actions of their patron Ascended, influencing and guiding their lives and fates. But how did these beliefs solidify and spread?

What we do know, is that Credit's dominance was solidified so quickly in part by a new form of intangible currency that spread like a contagion through the world. A holy currency that could not be acquired through work. It could not be gained by vanquishing ones enemies. Nor could it be found out in the world; buried in the ground, lost down a cave or hidden in a chest.

It was only through prayer and supplication to the Users that currency of the divine could be attained. By glorifying them, Telarans hoped that their patron User would beseech the Arch God to be gifted with the holy coin. This currency was seen as an ethereal manifestation of the arch god, and so it shared the same name. They were called Credits.

This had massive and immediate repercussions to the global economy. Traditional forms of currency such as gems and coins, while still usable, became redundant and fell swiftly out of favor to Credits. They became the primary tool of acquisition in Telara. From homesteads to hardware or clothing to livestock, any desire could be acquired trough the patronage of the Users and the new God. Indeed, even the very spending of Credits created a sense of euphoria, and a feeling of increased dedication and loyalty akin to an addictive narcotic.

As the need of Telarans to commune with their Users rose, so too did the citadel of the new faith; The Cathedral of Credit. While a mortal could pray from anywhere, it was believed that this new church could amplify the pleas of the people. Subsequently, from every region, Telaran souls made the pilgrimage to this temple to beg their Users to act upon their behalf.

Selecting a centralized location, this edifice was erected in mountains of Stonefield, allowing access to all the citizens of Telara. A pilgrim knew their journey's end approached when seeing the shrine in the basin at the entrance to the mountain path. A small landscaped area lay nearby providing a final place to rest and refresh. If more comfortable accommodations were required, a nearby village provided a respite, where also dwelled a mysteriously wealthy man thought to be a family member of one of the clergy.

When ready, travelers would begin to climb the the path of the supplicant, washing away their sins in the waters of purity. At the end of the arduous climb, beyond the entrance gate, lay waiting a courtyard with a reflective pool and meditative gardens to provide a warm setting to recover from the climb.

The cathedral itself possessed an impressive facade and, upon entering, an atrium where a prefect waited to answer questions and disseminate information. When open to the public, a door allowed access to the cathedral's imposing nave, where prayer services were conducted daily.

Off the north aisle lay the Gallery, where art and relics were displayed beneath a dazzling dome. Included here were several murals depicting pivotal moments from the establishment of the religion; among them the discovery of the amplification stone by a mining interest, the cliffside cairn of the first [strike]profit[/strike] prophet, the den where the first rough sketches of the cathedral were drawn, and others besides. Off the opposing south aisle lay the Tithing Well, where the faithful could toss coins in hopes that their prayers would be heard. From both the north and south Transepts, stairs could be accessed that led to the upper floors, where, among other workrooms, lay the monks sleeping and gathering quarters. The stairs off the north transept, however, also led down to the cathedral's Necropolis, where leaders and heroes of the church were interred.

In the Nave, just beyond the Crossing, lay the Apse and the High Altar, behind which rests the Amplification Stone. This stone was believed to be a sliver of divine sourcestone and somehow related to the manifestation of credits. To either side lay a confessional room and the Bishop's private chambers.

All in all, the cathedral was impressive in it's magnificence. Over time, however, more of her secrets were sadly revealed. It's commonly held, that with power comes corruption. As history eventually revealed, even the early church was not impervious to this truth.

Careful inspection would reveal a hidden passageway, which led down to a sprawling mansion. The very same mansion owned by the mysteriously wealthy man in the neighboring village. As it turned out, he was not related to a member of the clergy, but rather the corrupt bishop himself, hiding in plain sight with the heresy of his opulence.

This dwelling of largess possessed an office, a piano bar, a large den and a formal dining hall, a full kitchen, and a bed and bath, among other spaces and rooms.

The discovery of this corruption was staggering. How could an abstemious and austere Bishop afford such a lavish home? That last answer came after the discovery of yet another hidden passageway, accessing a tunnel carved into the rock beneath the Cathedral. This tunnel emptied out into a vault located directly beneath the tithing well. As it turned out, the unscrupulous Bishop was collecting the coins the people no longer wanted and threw away in hopes of receiving credits.

These secrets of the first Cathedral are known to us now, but not to the populace at the time. That the Church escaped this scandal in its infancy allowed the word to keep spreading across the surface of Telara, and the eventual conversion of the global population. Now, all bow before He who is known as Credit

Cathedral of Credit- guild dimension of <FDIC> of Greybriar, a subsidiary of Caelthas Inc LLC. All rights reserved. Any unauthorized reproduction is encouraged and will be promoted to the fullest extent of the TOS agreement.

Magnificent!

Reading the story was therapeutic, it is an excellent way of dealing with the turmoil thrust upon us Users as the new currency was introduced. I look forward to visiting and seeing the splendor in person, but the illustrated story tour was amazing

I was in your dim a couple of days ago and I have to say the building was amazing. Very well done.
    Your story is awesome!

RIFT Fan Site Operator Feendish's Avatar

Very apt story, to go along with an excellent build. I certainly hope it is not your last.
    Dimensions on Greybriar and Zaviel

Baradara@Greybriar

Default Fantastic build!:)

Read your story and visited in person last night....totally loved both! You are very talented....and I agree with Feendish, I certainly hope it's not your last one

Hi!
    I enjoyed the story very much and explored the cathedral today. Gorgeous architecture there with fun passageways and some really cool ideas. Did I see it right and someone actually offered their firstborn?

Wow! That sure is an incredibly detailed post for an equally incredibly detailed dim!

Thanks heaps for the personal tour, I truly enjoyed exploring and discovering your dim through the story you told. Undoubtedly the most detailed tour I've had, wish I could +9000! Love ya work!

~ Stargate Dreams ~
    ........................ & ....................... ~ MOONLIGHT FALLS ~

Created by Stickybuds@Wolfsbane

+ Reply to Thread