+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fredelas

Thread: New Cobweb Issue

Default New Cobweb Issue

Has anybody else started experimenting with the new cobwebs?
    Some of the more location specific, such as corner cobwebs, do not seem to have a texture when spun around e.g. when rotated to form a pyramid. It's as if the cobweb has not even been placed - completely invisible to me.

I have noticed this issue as well.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90809&dateline=137690  0590

Plane Touched

This is an issue common to many dimension items.

When these objects are placed out in the open world, they are often in positions where they cannot be viewed from all angles by players. To economize on texture usage, these objects only have their player-facing sides textured.

Usually this means the insides of solid objects aren't textured, but it also often means the back side of flat objects is untextured, too. When a player views these items from those unintended angles, as is common in a dimension, they become invisible.

In order to work around this, you'll have to use the dimension items in a similar way. For example, the corner cobwebs still work great when you place them in a corner at the ceiling. Try using screens if you want the player to be able to walk through your cobwebs and see them from both sides.

I'm using them for sails. Things go a little strange when you can only view them from one side.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Norris View Post
    I'm using them for sails. Things go a little strange when you can only view them from one side.
    That's a really neat idea! Could you use a combination of screens to get the same billowing effect? They have that kind of unfortunate part that sticks out at the bottom, but maybe you could hide that part in the mast or crossbeam.

Regrettable that I am trying to use the cobweb screens. It's how I noticed the problem. I dropped it out of my inventory to where I wanted it positioned and from my angle only saw a perfect sail shape

It wasn't until I looked at the effect from a different height that I found straight edges pointing forward. And running round the side made the entire sail vanish.

The quick and easy solution would be to rotate the boat to face the viewer and to push it away enough so that it would be hard to get an angle that would cause them to vanish but the original plan was to have it sideways on so that you can see the cannon decks and so that it looks a lot more imposing. Guess it's back to the drawing board. Thanks for input

What if you get a second screen and put the two invisible sides together? Then you should be able to view one from the correct angle and the other if you walk behind it.

I've used the flesh rugs instead. Thanks for suggesting double sided, I gave it a go but they were invisible at a 90 degree arc and looked a bit funny. If they get changed in the future or if something better comes along I'll swap it out. If you want to see what it looks like, it's on the EU shards, BW (soon to be Gelidra): Death comes to Shoreward by Kollette.
    The Dimension itself is not completed yet but the boat itself has been sorted out.

Thanks again for peoples advice.

the white side depends on what is facing the light.

for example, in the gloamwood dim, the side facing the moon is white, whereas the other sides are less visable.

hmm, after messing around with them a bit more, I see what you mean...

hopefully this gets fixed...there's something i'm wanting to make out of em, and this getting in the way.
    Last edited by Oakleaf Ranger; 10-21-2013 at 12:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread