+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Decorations very disappointing

Shield of Telara

Default Decorations very disappointing

Way too Halloweeny.

Its AUTUMN HARVEST. I mentioned it in another thread...

No trees with colored leaves? No full cornfields? No Apple trees? No gourds or cornucopia? No scarecrows? We got piles of leaves and pumpkins LOL.

Interior would have to be Apple cider bottle, maple syrup bottle, baskets/crates of corn or just corn ears or even decorative corn. Apple pie, steaming apple pie akin to the steaming tea kettle. Heck even a turkey, Thanksgiving is in the autumn too.

Off the wall idea... a pond with leaves floating in it, bales of hay, autumn colored trees with falling leaves (we have something similar but one with more leaves falling and more color), pile of cut wood, ax in a chopping block.

Just off the top of my head I am sure there could be more.

Spiders, webs, cocoons, ghosts, jack o lanterns are nice and all just very one dimensional (no pun intended).

I was actually very happy with the decorations. Rift doesn't do a separate Halloween event, it's pretty much been understood that the autumn event covers that as well. I like that it's a mix of spooky and colorful, we got a lot of really cool gloamwood items I just know people are gonna have a lot of fun with plus piles of leaves and loads of pumpkins. Sure we could use stuff that's more suggestive of an autumn feast, but many of the items you listed I've actually seen others morph. We have a lot of new creative possibilities and I can't wait to see what everyone does with them!
    Last edited by Akhor; 10-18-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Erm...admittedly the dimension items not being all too much for my tastes made the decision easier not to do them. Don't get me wrong, I feel they're excellent if you want a "niche" halloween dimension and some people have been kind enough to explain how to do the dailies can be done quickly and easily. All the same...ehh.

There's several really nice autumn trees and shrubs for an autumn themeed dimensions, admittedly, almong with those cute autumn hedges from mob drops now. I had high hopes for autumn including those shrubs in Dendrome. You know, the ones that are like an atumn recolouring of the "overgrown gardens" you can get in fishing crates. I agree some food items, especially apple/ pumpkin pies would have been amazing and I love the idea of a pond with leaves in it. I'd have done the dailies on every character I have for something like that. Your ideas are wonderful to be honest.

Overall, unfortunately I agree as I don't like building dimensions that are too niche in a holiday. Oh well...fortunately the Xmas items I tend to like (ok, a lot Xmas related but the Yuke candles I fell in love with a little too much).

RIFT Fan Site Operator Tamarama's Avatar

If the autumn harvest items were too halloweeny for you, you're gunna hate Christmas.

Apart from the jack o'lanterns, all the new dimension items are in the world permanently. We now have more items to recreate aspects of Telara that are less pretty and pleasant. That they are released at a time when spooky is in, does not devalue them in my eyes. I applaud Faratha (and other devs involved) for giving us such interesting items. (And I'm really liking that the items are not way overpriced and we have to sign away our soul for the next few weeks to acquire them.)

Think of it as an opportunity to morph more. I haven't experimented with the fog making items yet but I recon some great atmospheric autumn dimensions can be made using the fog effect. Just hide the pumpkin in a tree.

Some food would be nice. Still I love the creativity that comes when people need to make do with what they have. The day we have every item in game is the day dimensions become boring.

Better Homes and Dimensions - A blog just for Dimensions.

Shield of Telara

yeah not impressed with the Christmas ones either.

But yeah I hid the effects ones. The ghost post in an urn and the pumpkin in a wooden block. As i get more of them I will do the same, the effects are better than the items, which once again shows the lack of imagination that went into some of them.

If they can add the fog and ghost effect to those things then they good just as easily add it to a stick or a pebble that is easier to hide. Miniaturizing the item lessens the effects, so putting these effects on something really skinny or really flat would save some of the placement issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamarama View Post
    Think of it as an opportunity to morph more. I haven't experimented with the fog making items yet but I recon some great atmospheric autumn dimensions can be made using the fog effect. Just hide the pumpkin in a tree.

Some food would be nice. Still I love the creativity that comes when people need to make do with what they have. The day we have every item in game is the day dimensions become boring.
    This is exactly what was going through my mind while I browsed the new items. I did experiment a little with the fog, I got the pile of pumpkins in the grab bag (not sure if they're random or give specific items every time but I was very pleased with the variety) and immediately flipped the pumpkins over and tucked them underground and was pleased that the fog remained. With all the different colored fogs listed I see a lot of opportunities there!

Hm...*thinks* I might get a bunch and see what I can make. The purple/ blue fogs sound promising enough.. I think if you combined the blue mist with those blue sourcestone chunks hidden underground you might be able to create a nice watery misty effect. Depends on the blue...

*wanders off to experiment*
    Last edited by Shiaori; 10-18-2013 at 05:36 PM.

Shield of Telara

black fog from the post isnt great, it is really hard to distinguish. Although I havent checked it in a brightly lit dim yet.

Rift Disciple

Given that there are several autumn themed dim items in the game already, most of which are very nice (I love the new hedge!), having access to some "spooky" stuff was my big hope for this event. One of my characters is a Necromancer, and having actual skeletons to work with is a nice change. I've not tried the fog items yet (but based on comments here, I think I will shortly), but I can see uses for the spider stuff as well.

And really, there are a number of pumpkin items that are part of the event, so there is some balance. Would I like to see more? Of course! Especially some of the bigger items (I'd love to have placeable fields, both planted and unplanted!). But we can't get them all at once, and with every item we do get, it offers up more options for everyone. Many of us have access to items we will (likely) never use. And you know? That's fine.

No, actually, it's not fine. It's a good thing! Because we all have different tastes, different preferences. Sure, it is disappointing when new dim items come, and you can't use them. But, it's not an issue unless every update lacks items for you. Sure, many of these items are very niche. But if you are building in that niche? Those items are invaluable!

So, maybe the next update will have some items you can use. And if not? Well, maybe the one after that.

There are in fact Scarecrows.
    They just aren't displayed in the Dimension vendor. They are part of the Kits.

Spider Den Kit

Pumpkin Patch Kit

as you can see, you've got yourself a Scarecrow (in the middle), a pile of leaves with a rack, a pile of leaves (without rack), haystack, covered haystack, wheelbarrow with hay; and the other stuff.

(Note: Ignore that pumpkin scarecrow; that's not an item). (the fence IS an item though)

But you're right though - more Autumny stuff would have been nice. Still, liking the stuff they have given us.
    Last edited by Jonus; 10-18-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodarin View Post
    Way too Halloweeny.

Its AUTUMN HARVEST. I mentioned it in another thread...

No trees with colored leaves? No full cornfields? No Apple trees? No gourds or cornucopia? No scarecrows? We got piles of leaves and pumpkins LOL.

Interior would have to be Apple cider bottle, maple syrup bottle, baskets/crates of corn or just corn ears or even decorative corn. Apple pie, steaming apple pie akin to the steaming tea kettle. Heck even a turkey, Thanksgiving is in the autumn too.

Off the wall idea... a pond with leaves floating in it, bales of hay, autumn colored trees with falling leaves (we have something similar but one with more leaves falling and more color), pile of cut wood, ax in a chopping block.

Just off the top of my head I am sure there could be more.

Spiders, webs, cocoons, ghosts, jack o lanterns are nice and all just very one dimensional (no pun intended).
    There are actually a lot of trees already in the game that you can use in your dimension that have colored leaves. Oranges and reds mostly. As per the other things, you can actually make some of those through 'merging' objects. Bobbing apples and (more) trees with falling leaves on the other hand would be pretty welcome.

Come have a look at Underlight Chamber (RP) Faeblight, my sprawling Wizard's Tower!

Quote Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
    This is exactly what was going through my mind while I browsed the new items. I did experiment a little with the fog, I got the pile of pumpkins in the grab bag (not sure if they're random or give specific items every time but I was very pleased with the variety) and immediately flipped the pumpkins over and tucked them underground and was pleased that the fog remained. With all the different colored fogs listed I see a lot of opportunities there!
    Nice hack!

I love hearing (reading) when people do odd things with Trion's dimension props that weren't intended, but with amazing results!

Come have a look at Underlight Chamber (RP) Faeblight, my sprawling Wizard's Tower!

The decorations are more Halloween-themed then thanksgiving. I'm pretty o.k. with this, especially since the Halloween themed dimension is pretty high quality in itself.
    Zenahk@Laethys

Quote Originally Posted by Shiaori View Post
    Hm...*thinks* I might get a bunch and see what I can make. The purple/ blue fogs sound promising enough.. I think if you combined the blue mist with those blue sourcestone chunks hidden underground you might be able to create a nice watery misty effect. Depends on the blue...

*wanders off to experiment*
    I stuck one inside a tree for the fog effect on the water in Dormant Core, very nice effect.
    I Rift, therefore I am.

I would just love to see some of these seasonal items plastered generously around the main cities. It doesn't feel like anything special is going on in them. Contrast that to say, Guild Wars 1 where the city NPCs switch to costume/monster models, the sky is changed, and decor is everywhere.

I still think that the "River of Souls Event" sky should be turned on for this dark time of the year!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast