• 1 Post By Kiwi
  • 1 Post By RivenDusk
  • 1 Post By RivenDusk
  • 1 Post By Maeloda

Thread: It's Official Trion prepare to go International

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Default It's Official Trion prepare to go International

Shard Unification Incoming! Rift Prepares to go Global Article @RDD

I know there will be some mixed reactions especially for those who have been through these kinds of changes before but hopefully we'll remember that f2p bought changes and now we readjust but in the long run International shards is exciting for the many of us who have friends on both clusters.

Cheers Trion
    Last edited by Kiwi; 10-14-2013 at 04:18 PM.

I'm Guessing that NA/EU merge will be 1 massive cluster? meaning multiple CQ?
    Be cool to hang with friends on the NA shards!
    lets just hope they bring in cross-shard guilds + AH + mail then it would be pretty awesome.

lets see what the future pans out to be

The Gamer Beans
    <Special Olympics>
    <StackOnEight>
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilkoss View Post
    I'm not saying I'm great, Alfiexx is great.

Will our dimensions be moved seamlessly as well? I don't have a lot of votes but I don't want to lose the +1s I have already. Also I have a tourist on Wolfsbane, should I delete that toon prior so I don't risk losing one of my invested toons since I am using all 6 slots and don't plan to unlock more? With these concerns I am a little unsure about the changes, but as you stated with f2p I'm hoping everything goes smoothly and our game is better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiexx View Post
    I'm Guessing that NA/EU merge will be 1 massive cluster? meaning multiple CQ?
    Be cool to hang with friends on the NA shards!
    lets just hope they bring in cross-shard guilds + AH + mail then it would be pretty awesome.

lets see what the future pans out to be
    I see a fully cross-shard existence by the end of 2014 really.

Which for the most part, isn't 'the end of the world'. However, PvP and RP shards need to be separate enough to form their more specialized niches for community. Being able to chat (cross-shard endgame channels) and travel between all shards is only a good thing for me.

For dimensions, I REALLY want to see all dimensions from one shard, without having to make alts or change the patcher settings or whatever.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 10-14-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akhor View Post
    Will our dimensions be moved seamlessly as well? I don't have a lot of votes but I don't want to lose the +1s I have already. Also I have a tourist on Wolfsbane, should I delete that toon prior so I don't risk losing one of my invested toons since I am using all 6 slots and don't plan to unlock more? With these concerns I am a little unsure about the changes, but as you stated with f2p I'm hoping everything goes smoothly and our game is better for it.
    Part of me wishes +1s never existed.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    For dimensions, I REALLY want to see all dimensions from one shard, without having to make alts or change the patcher settings or whatever.
    I heart this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    Shard Unification Incoming! Rift Prepares to go Global Article @RDD

I know there will be some mixed reactions especially for those who have been through these kinds of changes before but hopefully we'll remember that f2p bought changes and now we readjust but in the long run International shards is exciting for the many of us who have friends on both clusters.

Cheers Trion
    What the what the what?

Is this the latest permutation of Red Door technology?

/waxes speculative

I know this is something Cryptic has been talking about doing with Neverwinter too, bringing their community closer together.

It's not a bad idea, as long as the tech exists to make it as smooth a gaming experience to all involved as possible.

Hmmm..

I wonder how it will be handled in the city/hubs though, will there be some clever use of phasing to keep Meridian, Sanctum and Tempest Bay from feeling overcrowded?

Come have a look at Underlight Chamber (RP) Faeblight, my sprawling Wizard's Tower!

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I see a fully cross-shard existence by the end of 2014 really.

Which for the most part, isn't 'the end of the world'. However, PvP and RP shards need to be separate enough to form their more specialized niches for community. Being able to chat (cross-shard endgame channels) and travel between all shards is only a good thing for me.

I've been wondering about how Rulesets like RP and PVP would work in a mega-server.

I'm thinking some kind of phase flag would be a neat solution, so that RPers like yours truly could simply step into another state of being so's talking ICly doesn't disturb non-RPers, (some people react to us in revulsion, which disturbs us as much as we do them) and I would only see others that had also flagged themselves for RP.

Similarly the PVP people could have a PVP phase. Heck, I'm sure some of them would even appreciate a FFA flag state.

Come have a look at Underlight Chamber (RP) Faeblight, my sprawling Wizard's Tower!

Quote Originally Posted by RivenDusk View Post
    I've been wondering about how Rulesets like RP and PVP would work in a mega-server.

I'm thinking some kind of phase flag would be a neat solution, so that RPers like yours truly could simply step into another state of being so's talking ICly doesn't disturb non-RPers, (some people react to us in revulsion, which disturbs us as much as we do them) and I would only see others that had also flagged themselves for RP.

Similarly the PVP people could have a PVP phase. Heck, I'm sure some of them would even appreciate a FFA flag state.
    We already have this - they're called shards, and we can join party members to other shards.

That's why they're not called servers by Trion. It's different tech. Shards are just artificial 'world instance' barriers to spread out server load.

So by 'fully cross-shard', I mean every single shard in Rift, for EU and NA I mean, can be connected. Right now we have 4 clusters, not 1 unified playfield.

It's not that new now. Many MMOs, and in fact most newer MMOs, have some form of this. The Secret World is all on one cross-server world, and Guild Wars 2 has server Guesting.

+ Reply to Thread